PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mason, Bogans flash back to rivalry

Blackjack
01-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Mason, Bogans flash back to rivalry (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_Bogans_flash_back_to_rivalry.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

WASHINGTON — If, at some point in tonight's Spurs-Wizards game, Keith Bogans and Roger Mason Jr. are on the court at the same time, Washingtonians with a keen sense of local hoops history will think they have taken a step back in time and wandered into the gym at Catholic University or George Washington.

Neither facility is very far from the Verizon Center, where tonight's game will be played. Bogans and Mason aren't that far removed from their days as D.C. area high school rivals, either.

In 1998, George Washington and Catholic U. were the places to see some of the best high school games in North America, because that's where DeMatha Catholic High matched up against Our Lady of Good Counsel.

In 1998, that meant Bogans vs. Mason Jr.

“He went to DeMatha and I went to Good Counsel, and during our senior years, they were No. 1 in the nation and we were top 10,” Mason said. “The (high school) gyms weren't big enough for all the people that wanted to see those games, so they moved them. One game was at George Washington; the other was at Catholic U.”

Sitting in front of his locker at the AT&T Center before the Spurs' blowout victory over the Miami Heat on Thursday night, Bogans smiled broadly at the memory of those glory days.

“The place was packed when we played,” he said. “I had to guard Roger and he had to guard me, but to tell the truth, neither one of us played any defense. We just went back and forth, trading baskets.

“It was a great rivalry. I don't remember losing to Rog. Maybe one time in four years.”

From across the Spurs' locker room, Mason leaped to the defense of his prep alma mater.

“We beat you once each year I played,” Mason called out to Bogans, his voice rising. “We can get the tapes, if you want. They're VHS, but they're out there.”

Laughing, Bogans refused to back down.

“I'll look it up for you,” he said.

“We ended up beating them senior year,” Mason insisted, “so we were No. 1 in the area. We flopped back and forth.”

In truth, a rivalry that began when the two were the stars of junior AAU teams in their preteens is rooted in mutual respect.

“It goes back to when we were 10, 11 years old,” Mason recalled. “That's really where it started. AAU basketball in D.C. is huge. Keith was the No. 1 player in the country from the time he was 13 until he was 16, 17 years old. So when we played there was always a lot of hype.”

Bogans landed at Kentucky, one of the most prestigious basketball programs in the country, where he finished a four-year career as the Wildcats' No. 4 scorer, all-time. Mason stayed closer to home, playing three seasons at the University of Virginia.

That they united as teammates in the NBA seemed odd to friends and family members.

“His grandmother always tells him she can't believe we're teammates now,” Mason said, “and my Mom always jokes with him, just because basketball is so big where we're from. We were well-known rivals.”

Bogans has reshaped his game from his high-scoring days at both DeMatha and Kentucky. He found his niche in the NBA as a defender. Mason believes his expanding offensive game owes a lot to the preparation he gets by occasionally working against Bogans in Spurs practice sessions.

Bogans likes the daily challenge.

“Rog could always shoot the ball,” he said. “He's always been a great catch-and-shoot guy, even back in high school.

“Me, I wasn't a defender then. I was a scorer. I wasn't even thinking about defense then.”

Bogans' challenge tonight will be limiting Washington's Caron Butler, averaging 16.9 points per game for a Wizards team apt to be determined after a rant by coach Flip Saunders that followed its most recent loss. Saunders ripped his team's defensive work, saying it needed “a mind-set change.”

The Wizards' star, Gilbert Arenas, put it more succinctly: “Right now, we stink,” he told reporters after a 110-98 loss to Oklahoma City on Tuesday that put them 10 games under .500.

Manu-of-steel
01-02-2010, 04:35 AM
nice read. Thanks for posting.

duhoh
01-02-2010, 04:59 AM
interesting. these guys are sure dedicated to ballin

JustinJDW
01-02-2010, 05:05 AM
I predict Roger Mason and Keith Bogans to both blow up for 15+ points in the Wizards game. Watch them knock down 3's from everywhere.

Danny.Zhu
01-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Sweet.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2010, 07:11 AM
seriously i hope these 2 light up dilbert arenas...

thOOdee
01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
seriously i hope these 2 light up dilbert arenas...
shit.....hopefully not literally with all the gun news.

SpurNation
01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Bogans a scorer? 4th all time in Kentucky history? What happened? :lol

silverblackfan
01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
This is the second time I read that Bogans was a scorer in college. Nice history for him to fall back on when we need a clutch shot or drive to the basket. Bruce learned his offensive skills as time went on, but Bogans just has to use his previous experience.
Mason is adding to his offensive arsenal lately with drives to the basket. Last year it looked like a disaster when he did it, but lately he has looked a lot better. So has his defense.
Both Mason and Bogans are turning into fine role players.

TIMMYD!
01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Didn't Bruce once say he scored 26 points a game in Europe?

raspsa
01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Kurt Thomas was another big-time scorer in college who transformed his game in the pros.

Pauleta14
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Didn't Bruce once say he scored 26 points a game in Europe?

Yes!
I think he was even back to back best scorer of the league!!
He was known/used for his offensive game!!:lol

TIMMYD!
01-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes!
I think he was even back to back best scorer of the league!!
He was known/used for his offensive game!!:lol

I knew it. But everyone has the capability of being whatever type of player they want as long as they work hard to get there.

SenorSpur
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Good stuff.

I can't help but notice how Bogans transformed his game from being a scorer to a primary lockdown defender. The fact that he was smart enough to realize he could carve out a niche himself in order to prolong his NBA career in this way, reminds me of a similiar path successfully taken by another recently-retired, Spurs defender.

Chico
01-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Both guys ended up playing very well..respect