PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Wizards Previews

Blackjack
01-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Saturday: Spurs (19-11) at Wizards (10-20) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Saturday_Spurs_19-11_at_Wizards_10-20.html)

Time: 6 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WIZARDS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 0 Gilbert Arenas (6-4, 9th yr)
Parker averaging 8.0 assists over last four games.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 15 Randy Foye (6-4, 4th yr)
Foye hasn’t cracked 20 points all season; high was 19 on opening night.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 3 Caron Butler (6-7, 8th yr)
Jefferson took only eight shots, scored only six in blowout win over Heat.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 4 Antawn Jamison (6-9, 12th yr)
Jamison has averaged 25.0 points over last five games.

C - 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 1st yr) - 33 Brendan Haywood (7-0, 9th yr)
After missing first three FTs vs. Minnesota, Blair has made nine in row.

SPURS RESERVES
20 Manu Ginobili, G/F, 6-6, 8th yr
22 Marcus Haislip, F, 6-10, 4th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G/F, 6-6, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr
34 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr

WIZARDS RESERVES
7 Andray Blatche, F/C, 6-11, 5th yr
12 Earl Boykins, G, 5-5, 11th yr
34 JaVale McGee, C, 7-0, 2nd yr
5 Dominic McGuire, F, 6-9, 3rd yr
21 Fabricio Oberto, F/C, 6-10, 5th yr
2 D. Stevenson, G, 6-5, 10th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Wizards: Flip Saunders

INJURIES
Spurs: Michael Finley (left ankle sprain) is out. Matt Bonner (broken bone, right hand) is out.
Wizards: Mike Miller (strained left calf) is out; McGee (sore right knee) is questionable

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS
Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Finley, Bonner.
Wizards: Miller, Javaris Crittenton, Mike James.

NOTABLE
Spurs have won four straight; their longest winning streak of season is five. ... Spurs have won eight in a row against Washington. ... Wizards haven’t played since Dec. 29 loss to Thunder that prompted Saunders rant that included a challenge to players to change their defensive mind-set.

— Mike Monroe

hater
01-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm going to this game. n I got good seats!!!!

:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast

Blackjack
01-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Spurs-Wizards Preview (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2010-01-01/spurs-wizards-preview)

STATS Editor

Both on and off the court, the Washington Wizards appear to be spiraling out of control. Facing a San Antonio Spurs club that appears to be rounding into form likely won't help matters.

With an upset coach, a team in disarray, and a star guard the subject of an increasingly serious federal investigation, the Wizards will take the floor for the first time in the new year Saturday to host San Antonio - an opponent they haven't beaten in more than four years.

Washington (10-20) occupies the Southeast Division cellar after allowing an average of 109.0 points in three consecutive losses. After Tuesday's 110-98 defeat to Oklahoma City, coach Flip Saunders sounded fed up, saying his team needs a "mindset change."

"Spots will be open," Saunders said. "If guys don't like it, that's fine but that's the way it's going to be. I'm not going to sit there, stand there and look at that any more. You evaluate for 30 games where you're at. Right now, where it's going, it ain't getting done."

Gilbert Arenas, averaging 26.7 points during the three-game skid, likewise didn't mince words.

"Right now, we stink - and we're showing it," he said "You can sit here and talk about it every day, every game, every loss. But until we can turn it around, we stink."

Arenas was considerably less blunt Friday, posting a series of inarticulate ramblings on his Twitter account in reaction to the ongoing investigation of him and the guns he brought to the Verizon Center. Multiple media reports, citing unidentified sources, reported Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton allegedly drew guns on each other during a locker-room argument over a gambling debt.

The NBA and the Wizards would only confirm that an investigation is taking place - and it's being led by law enforcement, not the league.

"There is an active investigation by D.C. law enforcement authorities, which we are monitoring closely," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said in a statement. "We are not taking any independent action at this time."

A Wizards club in turmoil would appear to be easy pickings for a Spurs team on a roll. San Antonio (19-11) has won four straight and 10 of 12 following a 9-9 start to the season.

The Spurs have also defeated the Wizards eight consecutive times since a 110-95 loss at Washington on Nov. 12, 2005. They routed the Wizards 106-84 at home Nov. 21, when Tony Parker had 17 points to lead five San Antonio players in double figures.

Parker had 15 points and nine assists Thursday night to help the Spurs earn their most lopsided win of the season, 108-78 at home over Miami. Tim Duncan scored a team-high 23 points and added 10 rebounds, but San Antonio's players didn't seem completely satisfied after beating an opponent with a winning record for the only time in December.

"I believe that we got a lot to improve to really become contenders and be respected as one of the best team in the league," Manu Ginobili said after scoring 18 points off the bench. "We're not that steady so far this season, but we're on the right track."

Duncan has been San Antonio's leading scorer in seven of the last 12 games, averaging 20.9 points in that stretch - slightly higher than his 19.9 season mark.

Arenas scored a game-high 18 points in the November loss to the Spurs.

spurs1990
01-02-2010, 02:15 AM
It'll be a shootout for sure. They'll be gunning for us so I expect the Wiz to come out firing.

Don't want to jump the gun but we'll definitely win...we got Pop!

Blackjack
01-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Frustration continues to mount for 10-20 Washington Wizards (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/30/AR2009123002604.html?nav=emailpage)

By Michael Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 31, 2009

A large photograph of the Larry O'Brien championship trophy hangs in Antawn Jamison's locker room stall, serving as a symbol of what Jamison said is the only reason he comes to play at age 33. But as his team continues to underachieve and disappoint, that picture appears to be as close as Jamison will come to touching the trophy while wearing a Washington Wizards uniform this season.

As one of the three captains on the team, Jamison has tried to maintain a positive demeanor this season -- despite the heartbreaking and despicable losses, the occasional bickering and dissension, and the Wizards' inability to stop running and sinking in quicksand. The challenge of keeping it together is becoming more difficult for Jamison, however, with the Wizards 10-20 and Coach Flip Saunders eviscerating the squad following the 110-98 loss to Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

Upset that his players haven't been leaving it all on the floor, Saunders left it all on the table during the postgame news conference. He said that the team needed a "different mind-set" and made jokes that his players were so bad defensively that he, at age 54, could probably take them one-on-one. Saunders has obviously been frustrated for some time.

"He's not the only one," said Jamison, who claimed before the season began that the Wizards would be championship contenders. "It hurts to know what we have on paper and to not get it done out there on the court. It's definitely disappointing, and it's getting to the point now where something really needs to happen."

Saunders tried to set the tone for the Wizards in training camp when he issued T-shirts and caps that read "Our Time." But those shirts could soon be amended by adding two more words: "Is Up." Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld resisted overtures near the trade deadline last season and last summer for Caron Butler and Jamison. But the disappointing start has added to rampant speculation that the Wizards could be active between now and the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

Grunfeld isn't under any restrictions on making moves following the death of majority owner Abe Pollin last month. Pollin believed strongly in the trio of former all-stars Gilbert Arenas, Butler and Jamison. But as one league source put it recently, with Pollin gone, so is the driving force to keep them together -- especially with the trio just 7-13 this season and unable to recapture the magic of the past. A person with knowledge of the Wizards' thinking said that no player on the roster is untouchable.

Grunfeld would not address specific trade rumors when reached by telephone on Wednesday, but when asked if he wanted to make a move, he said, "It depends on how things go and what opportunities present themselves."

The Houston Rockets are shopping Tracy McGrady and his $23 million expiring contract, but making a trade for him would make it a difficult match in salaries. ESPN.com reported that the Wizards made an exploratory call, offering Arenas for McGrady, but a league source said such a deal was "unrealistic."

The Wizards could take a number of avenues in trades. With a roster that features eight free agents, they could make some salary dumps to clear cap space for the summer of 2010. But the person with knowledge of the Wizards' thinking said the team would like to receive a promising young player in such a deal.

The person added that it could be difficult to get equal value in a trade, but that the Wizards have to do something to change the chemistry of a roster that looks talented on paper but produces eyesores on the court.

"We're disappointed with the losing and the lack of consistency," Grunfeld said. "Nobody is happy. It's going to be up to the players and all of us to pull together. It's up to the team to change the way we play. We have not done that."

The Wizards were expected to be one of the better teams in the Eastern Conference during the preseason, with the additions of Saunders, a healthy Arenas and Brendan Haywood, plus Randy Foye and Mike Miller. But despite a $78.2 million payroll -- almost $9 million above the luxury tax threshold -- the Wizards are only four games better than last season, when they tied the franchise record for fewest wins in an 82-game season with 19.

"Right now, we stink. And we're showing it," Arenas said. "You can sit here and talk about it every day, every game, every loss, but until we turn it around, we stink. The last two years we've got a loser mentality."

Only one player on the Wizards made the playoffs last season: Fabrico Oberto with the San Antonio Spurs, the Wizards' opponent on Saturday. Saunders arrived in Washington with 587 career victories and could not have imagined, in any worst-case scenario, that the Wizards would have completed two months of the season and he still would be in search of his 600th victory. Grunfeld said he agreed with Saunders's cutting assessment of the team on Tuesday.

"I think anybody who watched the game would agree," Grunfeld said.

Added Jamison: "Something has to change. Either I'm going to go crazy or -- I'm not saying we need to do anything drastic. But we have to change because it's not the coaches. It's not them putting this group together. It's the guys who are in this locker room. The trust that we have in one another. The confidence we have. The energy that we bring. That's what I'm saying when something got to change. Why hasn't it changed? I have no idea. If I knew the question then believe me I would answer it and I would try to find a way to fix it."

Rummpd
01-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Sad to have classy Fabierto on that dysfunctional thuggish team.

Danny.Zhu
01-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Go get it, Spurs.

Chieflion
01-02-2010, 07:01 AM
What time would it be on Singapore? I am not sure how to use the time converter.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2010, 07:12 AM
this win is certainty....we got this shit W locked up

PublicOption
01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
It'll be a shootout for sure. They'll be gunning for us so I expect the Wiz to come out firing.

well done:lol

hsxvvd
01-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Washington Bullets...:lol

So fitting.

Spurs Brazil
01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Arenas may not play Saturday against the San Antonio Spurs because of soreness in his left knee, Wizards head coach Flip Saunders told The Washington Post on Friday. Saunders would not comment on the reported dispute between Arenas and Crittenton.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650

ricketts
01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm going to this game. n I got good seats!!!!

Where you gonna be? im in 121 row G, 7 rows behind the bench. gonna try and get Manus autograph

shelshor
01-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Referee Assignments
Sat. Jan 2
San Antonio @ Washington: Eddie F. Rush; Matt Boland; Kane Fitzgerald

loveforthegame
01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Spurs need to come out aggressive and get the jump on the Wizards.

ffadicted
01-02-2010, 12:53 PM
We should have a V-bookie on how many wizards are gonna end up in the hospital due to gunshot wounds at halftime

TIMMYD!
01-02-2010, 02:13 PM
We should have a V-bookie on how many wizards are gonna end up in the hospital due to gunshot wounds at halftime

What's happened to the V-Bookie anyways?

Haven't had one in about a month?

Galileo
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Saturday: Spurs (19-11) at Wizards (10-20) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Saturday_Spurs_19-11_at_Wizards_10-20.html)

Time: 6 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WIZARDS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 0 Gilbert Arenas (6-4, 9th yr)
Parker averaging 8.0 assists over last four games.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 15 Randy Foye (6-4, 4th yr)
Foye hasn’t cracked 20 points all season; high was 19 on opening night.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 3 Caron Butler (6-7, 8th yr)
Jefferson took only eight shots, scored only six in blowout win over Heat.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 4 Antawn Jamison (6-9, 12th yr)
Jamison has averaged 25.0 points over last five games.

C - 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 1st yr) - 33 Brendan Haywood (7-0, 9th yr)
After missing first three FTs vs. Minnesota, Blair has made nine in row.

SPURS RESERVES
20 Manu Ginobili, G/F, 6-6, 8th yr
22 Marcus Haislip, F, 6-10, 4th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G/F, 6-6, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr
34 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr

WIZARDS RESERVES
7 Andray Blatche, F/C, 6-11, 5th yr
12 Earl Boykins, G, 5-5, 11th yr
34 JaVale McGee, C, 7-0, 2nd yr
5 Dominic McGuire, F, 6-9, 3rd yr
21 Fabricio Oberto, F/C, 6-10, 5th yr
2 D. Stevenson, G, 6-5, 10th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Wizards: Flip Saunders

INJURIES
Spurs: Michael Finley (left ankle sprain) is out. Matt Bonner (broken bone, right hand) is out.
Wizards: Mike Miller (strained left calf) is out; McGee (sore right knee) is questionable

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS
Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Finley, Bonner.
Wizards: Miller, Javaris Crittenton, Mike James.

NOTABLE
Spurs have won four straight; their longest winning streak of season is five. ... Spurs have won eight in a row against Washington. ... Wizards haven’t played since Dec. 29 loss to Thunder that prompted Saunders rant that included a challenge to players to change their defensive mind-set.

— Mike Monroe

If TP drives the lane, I hope Arenas doesn't pull out his colt 45!

:lmao

GrandeDavid
01-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Arenas may not play Saturday against the San Antonio Spurs because of soreness in his left knee, Wizards head coach Flip Saunders told The Washington Post on Friday. Saunders would not comment on the reported dispute between Arenas and Crittenton.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650

If those guys really did pull guns, I cannot believe that the team did not suspend them indefinitely.

Free Fabricio!

Bukefal
01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice win against Miami, and this one should be easy. Go spurs!!

hater
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
on my way to this game!

sporting a Ginobili jersey over my bullet proof vest