PDA

View Full Version : Why the Spurs are better than the Lakers.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
With a Spurs win today or a Phoenix loss, the Spurs, record wise would be the third seed in the Western Conference. (Dallas has the division lead therefore Nuggets would be on top of Spurs.)

The Lakers look so dominant because of the ease of their schedule. If you look at their record vs above .500 teams. They are 9-5. (That is, with a healthy Lakers team)

The Spurs started the season slow as they did in the previous seasons. They're record vs above .500 teams is 3-8. (That is with an injury depleted Spurs team that lost 2 of their starters) Now if you compare the first 20 games of the season with the final 10. The stats are as follows

First 20 Games
Spurs were ranked 21st in defense 18th in offense
This is not a surprise considering they have new players they need to mesh with. And the injury to their 2 core players really hurt.

Now if you look at the final 10 games.
The Spurs are 7th in defense and 9th in offense.
In these 10 games, the Spurs are 8-2 EDIT (This record is with a healthy Spurs team whos point Guard Tony Parker is not even playing to his top level) This means more improvement for the Spurs Team

Tony Parker 2009 22ppg 7.0apg
Tony Parker 2010 16ppg 5.8apg

Manu Ginobili 2009 15.5ppg 3.6apg
Manu Ginobili 2010 13.1ppg 4.0apg

Tim Duncan 2009 19.9ppg 10.7rpg
Tim Duncan 2010 19.4ppg 11.2rpg

As you can see the only one consistent is Tim Duncan, the others are far from their normal averages so for the Spurs to be 19-11 with bad Parker and Ginobili only means this team is going to get better as the season progresses. Parker and Ginobili are still young so this is not a sign of aging so you can definitely expect their averages to go back to normal as the season progresses and when they do the Spurs record is only going to get better.

If you look at the Lakers stats of their core players, they are all the same as last years so they have no room for improvement.

Enough of the Stats game lets take a look at other things.

1- Don't underestimate just how good both McDyess is. McDyess was a double double MACHINE the 2nd half of last season. Infact from February to April, McDyess was the Pistons best player. Due to his injuries hes gonna need time to get back in round fit.

2- Bynum is injury prone. He's missed alot of playing time the past 2 seasons. Now he has 2 dinged knees. We all know Bynum is crucial to the Lakers success

3- Dejuan Blair has been a beast this season and hes a rookie so you should expect him to only get better comming playoffs.

BadOdor
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
So where did you plagiarize from this time?

NRHector
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
So where did you plagiarize from this time?it doesn't matter where he got it from or if he wrote it himself but the thing is Spurs are improving and catching up.

Muser
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Tacker does not represent me or most of my fellow spur fans

Kori Ellis
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
This is the first time I've seen Manu classified as young in a long time. He's 32 and has significant mileage on him.

Anyway, the Spurs are getting better, but we'll see how they do against good opponents. Their surge lately has been mostly against sub-par teams.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
it doesn't matter where he got it from or if he wrote it himself but the thing is Spurs are improving and catching up.

:tu

ffadicted
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Tacker speaks the truth, believe this prophecy

Kori Ellis
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM
it doesn't matter where he got it from or if he wrote it himself but the thing is Spurs are improving and catching up.

It only matters where he got it from because Tacker has been known for plagiarizing posts and passing them off as his own writing. That's what BadOdor was referencing.

Goran Tragic
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM
"Maybe they'll like me if I say something nice about the Spurs..."

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
It only matters where he got it from because Tacker has been known for plagiarizing posts and passing them off as his own writing. That's what BadOdor was referencing.

I plagiarized once and never after. This is all me.

cobbler
01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Once a liar...

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Once a liar...

Truth hurts doesn't it.

BadOdor
01-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I plagiarized once and never after. This is all me.

Actually, ashraf, there was that article you plagiarized, and then there was the post you plagiarized - caught both cases by duncan228. That's 2 already, ashraf.

JamStone
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
What I got from it is that 9-5 against .500 teams is not good and the Spurs are 9-2 in their last 10 games.

BadOdor
01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
What I got from it is that 9-5 against .500 teams is not good and the Spurs are 9-2 in their last 10 games.
:lol:lol:lol

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:58 PM

No but for a healthy Lakers team that should be best of the west, you would expect a better record from them. The 9-2 spurs records has 2 cores not playing to their top level.

ffadicted
01-02-2010, 12:58 PM
the Spurs are 9-2 in their last 10 games.

This is gold :lol:lol

cobbler
01-02-2010, 01:01 PM
This is gold :lol:lol

...and on pace for a 72-20 season! :lol

DPG21920
This month will be a big test for the Spurs. If teams keep playing the way they currently are, more than likely 12 out of the 16 games the Spurs play this month will be against teams with .500 or better records by the months end.

Toronto
Dallas
Lakers
OKC
Memphis
New Orleans
Utah
Houston
Atlanta
Denver

cobbler
Truth hurts doesn't it.

...as if you would know

DPG21920
01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
...as if you would know

:wow:lol

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:03 PM
This month will be a big test for the Spurs. If teams keep playing the way they currently are, more than likely 12 out of the 16 games the Spurs play this month will be against teams with .500 or better records by the months end.

Toronto
Dallas
Lakers
OKC
Memphis
New Orleans
Utah
Houston
Atlanta
Denver

No they wont.

Thunder Dynasty
01-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Toronto
Dallas
Lakers
OKC
Memphis
New Orleans
Utah
Houston
Atlanta
Denver

There's a loss right there.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:04 PM
...as if you would know

Laker fan cant handle the post. Shit happens....

NRHector
01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
...and on pace for a 72-20 season! :lolyou guys are ruthless

DPG21920
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
No they wont.

Toronto is 16-17
Memphis is 15-16
NOH is 14-16

Toronto and Memphis are both playing much better as of late and they will likely be above .500.

The Hornets are struggling, but they do have Paul/West/Okafor and that is enough talent to win some games.

cobbler
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Laker fan cant handle the post. Shit happens....

Handle the post? All conjecture at this point. We will see who's who's holding the LOB when it's all said and done. For everyone of your pie in the sky posts I could show you a hundred from Spur fan predicting the sky falling in. I imagaine reality will end up somewhere in the middle.

Spursfan092120
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Right now, Lakers are better than the Spurs...period. If the Spurs get more in sync, and pass the Lakers record, then they'll be better..it's pretty simple.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Handle the post? All conjecture at this point. We will see who's who's holding the LOB when it's all said and done. For everyone of your pie in the sky posts I could show you a hundred from Spur fan predicting the sky falling in. I imagaine reality will end up somewhere in the middle.

All those sky is falling posts came in the beginning of the season with injured starters. Ask those same Spurs fan right now and I guarantee you their opinions will be different.

Spursfan092120
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
For everyone of your pie in the sky posts I could show you a hundred from Spur fan predicting the sky falling in. I imagaine reality will end up somewhere in the middle.
Yes..but that is because this is a Spurs forum, dude. This forum is about 85% Spurs fans. Pretty much have to expect more from the majority. Right now the Lakers are better than the Spurs..but they are catching up...you can't deny that.

TheMACHINE
01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
my 2 cents:

Spurs are getting better...not sure if they are better then the lakers...just be happy that they are getting better.

iggypop123
01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
so basically the spurs sucked until they got healthy and got to beat up on crap teams. wow everyone could have predicted that. why are the lakers struggling? health. oh wow another no brainer

TheMACHINE
01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Maybe Spurs fans should just accept that they will NEVER be fully healthy in the postseason.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:42 PM
so basically the spurs sucked until they got healthy and got to beat up on crap teams. wow everyone could have predicted that. why are the lakers struggling? health. oh wow another no brainer

If Ron artest is that big of a factor to effect the team then the Laker's have problems....

TheMACHINE
01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
If Ron artest is that big of a factor to effect the team then the Laker's have problems....

are we suppose to go 82-0?

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:44 PM
are we suppose to go 82-0?

You're saying that the Lakers are struggling because of injuries and Artest is the only guy injured. Artest is nothing more than the 4th, 5th best player on the team...

mogrovejo
01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
People put too much emphasis on the record and rough/hot stretches.

A few weeks ago I was possibly the only person in this forum sustaining that the Spurs were the only legit contenders in the WC besides the Lakers, I was more optimistic than Spurs fans themselves...

I don't think they're better than the Lakers (they lack top wing defenders) - the most I can see is that they may have the upper-hand in the matchup, although I'm not sure of that yet. Need to see more of both teams and how the season develops.

The reasons provided by the OP are kind of lame/bogus though. The biggest advantages I see for the Spurs is:

- the Lakers are one of the most permeable teams in the league to dribble penetration and they aren't a shot-blocking team. They force misses with the length of their interior defenders.
- the Spurs have two excellent finishers at the rim off penetrations, Parker and Ginobili. Plus, they're very good with the drive'n'kick game. They have a big to spread the floor. They have enough size inside to stop the Lakers post game and to make a wash of the rebounding battle.

The downside for the Spurs is the lack of someone other than Keith Bogans (an offensive liability) to throw at Kobe.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
People put too much emphasis on the record and rough/hot stretches.

A few weeks ago I was possibly the only person in this forum sustaining that the Spurs were the only legit contenders in the WC besides the Lakers, I was more optimistic than Spurs fans themselves...

I don't think they're better than the Lakers (they lack top wing defenders) - the most I can see is that they may have the upper-hand in the matchup, although I'm not sure of that yet. Need to see more of both teams and how the season develops.

The reasons provided by the OP are kind of lame/bogus though. The biggest advantages I see for the Spurs is:

- the Lakers are one of the most permeable teams in the league to dribble penetration and they aren't a shot-blocking team. They force misses with the length of their interior defenders.
- the Spurs have two excellent finishers at the rim off penetrations, Parker and Ginobili. Plus, they're very good with the drive'n'kick game. They have a big to spread the floor. They have enough size inside to stop the Lakers post game and to make a wash of the rebounding battle.

The downside for the Spurs is the lack of someone other than Keith Bogans (an offensive liability) to throw at Kobe.

Also Phil Jackson is one of the few coaches in the League that does not like double teaming players like Duncan. Expect that to be another advantage for the Spurs.

Thunder Dynasty
01-02-2010, 01:48 PM

cool story bro.

Thunder Dynasty
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Also Phil Jackson is one of the few coaches in the League that does not like double teaming players like Duncan. Expect that to be another advantage for the Spurs.

Actually the teams that double Duncan are the ones who lose to the Spurs.

Smooth Criminal
01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Tacker does not represent me or most of my fellow spur fans

Probably because he roots for the Bulls...

Brazil
01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Also Phil Jackson is one of the few coaches in the League who owns Pop.

ffy

Muser
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Probably because he roots for the Bulls...

And yet he makes a thread about the Spurs, hence why his views on the Spurs do not represent me...

Tacker
01-02-2010, 03:37 PM
And yet he makes a thread about the Spurs, hence why his views on the Spurs do not represent me...

Since when can views of one person represent another dumbass.

Xylus
01-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Actually the teams that double Duncan are the ones who lose to the Spurs.

Yup, it's a major reason why the Suns have always had a problem with the Spurs in the postseason.

DAF86
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
The Spurs have enough size inside to stop the Lakers post game and to make a wash of the rebounding battle.

Our rotation bigs are Duncan, Dyess, Blair and Bonner. Out of those players Tim is the only one that can matchup with the Lakers front court in terms of size.

Pop can throw RJ at Kobe and Manu has always made more than a decent job defending Bryant.

Chillen
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Just maybe, people forget the Spurs were a little banged up and it would take sometime to get them rolling again and if they stay healthy they should get better and better this season as they gain more confidence. The talent is there, a core of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, McDyess, Jefferson and an excellent rookie in Blair is solid if healthy. The Lakers have had some injurys flare up recently, but have struggled to beat .500 teams and have gone down to the wire in some games vs scrub teams (Kobe miracles at the buzzer). Lots of ball to be played still, but I would not be surprised to see a Spurs/Lakers WCF again in 2010.

My Fault
01-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Nobody is better than the Lakers until they beat them in a 7 game series. They are the DEFENDING champions afterall....

cobbler
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
All those sky is falling posts came in the beginning of the season with injured starters. Ask those same Spurs fan right now and I guarantee you their opinions will be different.

Which was exactly what I said dumbass.

Chieflion
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
You niggas posting in a troll thread.

cobbler
01-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Nobody is better than the Lakers until they beat them in a 7 game series. They are the DEFENDING champions afterall....

What's wrong with you? Bringing common sense to the thread. Geeeeeeeez!

21_Blessings
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Right now, Lakers are better than the Spurs...period. If the Spurs get more in sync, and pass the Lakers record, then they'll be better..it's pretty simple.

Ah, is the team of decade Spurs fan logic? Regular season success now determines the NBA Championship?? In that case Dallas must be a dynasty!

namlook
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
The Lakers will easily take the Spurs out in the playoffs if both teams are healthy. The Spurs just don't have the size to handle the Lakers front line not to mention that with Bowen gone there is no one on the Spurs that can guard Kobe.

Spursfan092120
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
The Lakers will easily take the Spurs out in the playoffs if both teams are healthy. The Spurs just don't have the size to handle the Lakers front line not to mention that with Bowen gone there is no one on the Spurs that can guard Kobe.
This I disagree with. If the Spurs continue to gel and get better on defense, I think they can hang with the Lakers. Whether they will or not is another story.

21_Blessings
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
This I disagree with. If the Spurs continue to gel and get better on defense, I think they can hang with the Lakers.

- Spursfan90210 2008, 2009

DAF86
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM

lol first The Game, now namlook. What's with these Lakers fans pretending to be Spurs fans?

Spursfan092120
01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
- Spursfan90210 2008, 2009
If only I was here in 2008...dumbass. And last year our injuries killed us.

21_Blessings
01-02-2010, 11:11 PM
If only I was here in 2008...dumbass.

Well we all know you would have said that. And 12k posts in less than a year..ouch.

injuries killed us.

- Spurs Fan 2008, 2009 :whine

Spursfan092120
01-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Well we all know you would have said that. And 12k posts in less than a year..ouch.

lol backing up
lol acting like you know one fucking thing about me. Yeah...12k posts in less than a year. I have a job that allows me time off, and I enjoy the site. deal with it. Maybe if you had something to say about your team, instead of spending all your time hating on ours, you might have a few knowledgeable things to say as well.

- Spurs Fan 2008, 2009 :whine
If you think Duncan's bum knee and Manu not playing at all last year in the playoffs didn't matter, you're out of your damn mind. 2008 we have no excuses...bad calls or not, we lost. but last year is a different scenario.

Killakobe81
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Funny a Spur fan posting this ...when they always "clown" the Mavs or Suns for being the kings of teh regular season who cares? Lakers have the best record but aRE NOT playing like it ...
Spurs started crappy but are looking good playoffs are ALL that matters ...

Pero
01-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Funny a Spur fan posting this

Tacker isn't a Spurs fan.

Ditty
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM

this is something that i have always disagreed on I cant wait until we play the lakers in 2 weeks

IMO bowen didn't do that great of a job on kobe I know kobe is a great player but kobe seemed to always dominate the spurs and bowen.

Raje Bell and Paul Pierce are really the only two players to slow down kobe and the spurs can get one of those

the lakers size has not been something that bothers me either because duncan can match up with bynum and mcdyess can match up with gasol well

spurs can try to see if blair can match up with gasol but I think gasol is still to big for blair lakers bench is garbage while spurs have very good offense bench

only artest is the really one that can give spurs fit defense and offense wise but if he shoots 3's all day then thats fine with me

if parker gets it together like last year wow will he kill fisher and go to the paint and get bynum and gasol in foul trouble at times

I still think if the spurs are gelling and have everyone they can beat the lakers in the playoffs

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Raja Bell does not slow down Kobe. Pierce does a good job when he has proper interior help. But Raja? Kobe destroys that guy.

Best Kobe defender in the league right now = Trevor Ariza. Length + quickness is the key to defending Kobe. You have to be able to react after Kobe moves and not bite on his pump fakes. Ariza is great at that.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Kobe should be able to post Ariza up in the low block. Kobe is much stronger.

cobbler
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Raja Bell does not slow down Kobe. Pierce does a good job when he has proper interior help. But Raja? Kobe destroys that guy.

Best Kobe defender in the league right now = Trevor Ariza. Length + quickness is the key to defending Kobe. You have to be able to react after Kobe moves and not bite on his pump fakes. Ariza is great at that.

No doubt because they played so much against each other in practice. For the majority of his time with the Lakers Ariza was on the 2nd unit.

mogrovejo
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Our rotation bigs are Duncan, Dyess, Blair and Bonner. Out of those players Tim is the only one that can matchup with the Lakers front court in terms of size.

I suspect Ratliff will get some minutes when the playoffs are rolling, but that's enough to deal with the Lakers frontcourt. The Lakers bigs aren't the kind of guys that will kill you if you're giving up 2 inches and 10 lbs or something like that. What they can put on the floor is 48 minutes of quality bigs + a very big and strong SF in Artest = versatility + strong high/low game + rebounding/2nd chance points. Jefferson has the strength and length to control Artest and the Spurs bigs have enough quality and size to keep the bigs out of the blocks and to clean the glass.

Pop can throw RJ at Kobe and Manu has always made more than a decent job defending Bryant.

Jefferson has no hope of slowing down Bryant. Manu will have to defend him to finish games anyway, but I'd prefer to protect him as most as possible till then.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Kobe should be able to post Ariza up in the low block. Kobe is much stronger.

Kobe doesn't like posting up longer guys (see Prince/Pierce). And Ariza blocked Kobe's baseline fadeaway the last time they saw each other. Like Cobbler mentioned, Ariza saw Kobe everyday in practice. He's knows most of his tendencies.

Spurs fucked up by not pursuing Trev harder in the off-season.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Kobe doesn't like posting up longer guys (see Prince/Pierce). And Ariza blocked Kobe's baseline fadeaway the last time they saw each other. Like Cobbler mentioned, Ariza saw Kobe everyday in practice. He's knows most of his tendencies.

Spurs fucked up by not pursuing Trev harder in the off-season.

No they didn't. If the Spurs would have gotten Ariza, that means no McDyess. I would easily rather have RJ + McDyess over Ariza. There are no big men the quality of of RJ being dumped for what the Spurs offered.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Ariza is like 8 million dollars cheaper than RJ and a much better roleplayer, defender and scorer. He instantly makes the Spurs a better team while give SA some 2010 cap flexibility. Losing Mcdyss means more minutes for Blair and some for Oberto. Not that big of a deal. Mcdyss is on the brink of retirement.

You guys fucked up whether you want to admit or not.

Killakobe81
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Let me say this ... Differnce between Laker fans and MOST Spur fans?
Is that team of the decade ...who Charles Barkley thinks is the best in the wEst that stuff matters to them. The hype Kobe or the Lakers gets or the number of TV appearances ...that stuff means dyck to me.
I don't mean to be arrogant here. I live in Sa for 3 years ... in SA it's ALL spurs all the time ...but many feel the Spurs are slighted nationally.
For the Lakers we expect to play on XMAS day and TNT. We expect to be talked about nationally both GOOD and bad. ...
The difference is we don't put up division titles, or westen conference banners ...we EXPECT excellence ...and when we don't get it ...we boo! and then losers will come on here and question our fans. some Laker fans are spoiled and think it's end of the world if we lose a regular season game to Cavs or Blazers. The lakers are at the top and they may go down for a while but we always will get back it may take us 12 years but as long as we have solid management in place because LA is a huge market we will win. Players want to play for a winning franchise, a big market and the sunshine ...

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Ariza is like 8 million dollars cheaper than RJ and a much better roleplayer, defender and scorer. He instantly makes the Spurs a better team while give SA some 2010 cap flexibility. Losing Mcdyss means more minutes for Blair and some for Oberto. Not that big of a deal. Mcdyss is on the brink of retirement.

You guys fucked up whether you want to admit or not.

How can you say that? I don't care if he is cheaper, RJ is a much better player. LMFAO at saying Ariza is a better scorer. He is on a team where he can be the number one option and he is posting 16 PPG on 38% shooting.

RJ as a number one option was a 20 PPG scorer and shot much better. No question RJ is better and he is fitting in pretty nicely with his 13 PPG on 47% shooting.

Dice is a great guy for the Spurs and will play a pivotal role that Oberto could not. If Dice is on the brink, then Oberto is done already. Blair gets plenty of minutes and not having Dice would be terrible.

You are just saying things to say them now.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
How can you say that? I don't care if he is cheaper, RJ is a much better player. LMFAO at saying Ariza is a better scorer.

RJ a much better player? :rollin Look how delusional Spurs fans are these days. It makes sense considering your perimeter defense is pathetic and you act like it won't be a problem come playoff time.

He is on a team where he can be the number one option and he is posting 16 PPG on 38% shooting.

I was talking about Ariza the roleplayer. He scores better than RJ the roleplayer. Of course you probably never watched Ariza when he was on the Lakers.

Ariza is obviously not a 1st option type player but Ariza scores very efficiently as a roleplayer, with a great shot selection. His BBIQ is off the charts - not so much for RJ.

RJ as a number one option was a 20 PPG scorer and shot much better. No question RJ is better and he is fitting in pretty nicely with his 13 PPG on 47% shooting.

He was a better number 1 option at an older age compared to Ariza but the Bucks couldn't have traded him fast enough.

Dice is a great guy for the Spurs and will play a pivotal role that Oberto could not. If Dice is on the brink, then Oberto is done already. Blair gets plenty of minutes and not having Dice would be terrible.

Mcdyss pivotal role? Haha no. A pivotal role in another first round exit? Yeah maybe. Then he retires and you're stuck with limp overpaid Dick crippling any cap maneuverability the Spurs could have had with Ariza.

You are just saying things to say them now.

Exactly what you're doing. Fact is Ariza would make the Spurs a better team. If you value defense whatsoever. And that's all that will matter in the playoffs where you see elite wing players every series.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
You start off ok, then turn back into douche mode. By your Laker fan logic, having Ariza instead of RJ+Dice would save the Spurs from "a first round exit". Ok.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Also, Ariza the role player vs RJ the role player:

Ariza: 8.9 PTS on 46% FG and 32% 3PT

RJ: 13.2 PTS on 47% FG and 38% 3PT

Also, if Ariza is a better scorer, defender and role player over RJ, then he certainly is over Artest. Artest is not an efficient scorer and not a proven role player. Why did the Lakers let him go?

mogrovejo
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I prefer Ariza to RJ (much better defence... on the other hand, Artest is too big for Manu or Mason to handle, so it's not like they could put him on Kobe every minute), but, disregarding salaries, I'd rather have RJ+McDyess than Ariza. McDyess will be very important for the Spurs in the post-season.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Also, Ariza the role player vs RJ the role player:

Ariza: 8.9 PTS on 46% FG and 32% 3PT

RJ: 13.2 PTS on 47% FG and 38% 3PT

Actually this is Ariza the championship roleplayer:

11.3 PTS on 49.7 % FG (.610 TS%), 46.7% on 3PT + elite defense

Also, if Ariza is a better scorer, defender and role player over RJ, then he certainly is over Artest. Artest is not an efficient scorer and not a proven role player. Why did the Lakers let him go?

He's not a better defender than Artest, nor passer. But I liked Ariza's offense on the LA over Ron's. Ariza had a near perfect shot selection and was crazy good in transition (much better than RJ here as well).

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Actually this is Ariza the championship roleplayer:

11.3 PTS on 49.7 % FG (.610 TS%), 46.7% on 3PT + elite defense

No, that is called a streak. Averages to be legit require a bigger sample size. For the year, Ariza was at what I posted.

Also, not so elite defense getting torched by Melo and other big wing players. That is why Artest was brought in.

Ariza is a very good player and I would have been extremely happy to have him on the Spurs. But don't let your hate for the Spurs blind you. RJ is a better overall player and without a doubt, RJ+Dice is >>>>>>>>>>>>Ariza for the Spurs.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:05 PM
No, that is called a streak. Averages to be legit require a bigger sample size. For the year, Ariza was at what I posted.

Whole playoffs is not a streak. And you're using numbers 30 games with RJ you silly hypocrite.

The playoffs numbers are more indicative of what Ariza can do. Since that's exactly how he was playing the last few months of the season. He started the season with limited minutes off the bench behind Luke Walton coming back from a broken foot.

Also, no so elite defense getting torched by Melo and other big wing players.

Melo does not consistently torch Ariza. Stop lying.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Whole playoffs is not a streak. And you're using numbers 30 games with RJ you silly hypocrite.

The playoffs numbers are more indicative of what Ariza can do. Since that's exactly how he was playing the last few months of the season. He started the season with limited minutes off the bench behind Luke Walton coming back from a broken foot.

Melo does not consistently torch Ariza. Stop lying.

Yes he does. Most of the bigger wings torch him. Pierce, Bron, Melo....Kobe has to do the heavy lifting there.

Whole playoffs is a streak. Look at Ariza's numbers now. RJ's are in line with his career %'s and totals.

Arizas numbers now are in line with what I posted, not what you posted.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
But don't let your hate for the Spurs blind you. RJ is a better overall player and without a doubt, RJ+Dice is >>>>>>>>>>>>Ariza for the Spurs.

Don't let your homerish delusions confuse you. RJ is no where near a better overall player. Only an idiot that doesn't consider defense would say that.

Ariza + 2010 cap space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. RJ and his terrible contract and 1 failed season with Mcdyss

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
No. It is not a failed season and you are wrong. Spurs without that RJ contract would still only have the MLE to spend.

RJ is clearly the better player and that is taking into consideration defense. RJ is a good defender.

Someone who can play better than another player as a number one option and as a role player is clearly the better player. He might not be better in every aspect of the game, but overall, certainly.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes he does. Most of the bigger wings torch him. Pierce, Bron, Melo....Kobe has to do the heavy lifting there.

No Melo does not. This is too easy, your argument here is a joke. Ariza guards all those guys better than RJ ever could.

Whole playoffs is a streak.

No it's not.

Look at Ariza's numbers now. RJ's are in line with his career %'s and totals.

Look at Ariza's record now.

Arizas numbers now are in line with what I posted, not what you posted.

No they aren't in line with what you posted (learn how to read stats).

And stop comparing the roleplayer version with the green light 1st option version.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
His record is worse than RJ's.

His numbers now 38% FG and 32% 3PT is in line with what you posted in the playoffs?

If Ariza could guard those guys and is a better offensive player than Artest, why was Ron brought in? For his passing? Artest was brought in to guard the guys Ariza could not. Who are they?

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
No. It is not a failed season and you are wrong. Spurs without that RJ contract would still only have the MLE to spend.

You're wrong here.

RJ is clearly the better player and that is taking into consideration defense. RJ is a good defender.

Delusional homer.

Someone who can play better than another player as a number one option and as a role player is clearly the better player. He might not be better in every aspect of the game, but overall, certainly.

RJ doesn't play better than Ariza as a roleplayer nor does he defend better. So it's impossible for him to be a better overall player. Now you're reduced to lying.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
How come RJ's 1st option vs Role Player numbers compare, but Ariza's do not?

How come Ariza for the whole season last year was not close to his playoff numbers and how come he has not come close this year?

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Delusional homer.

RJ doesn't play better than Ariza as a roleplayer nor does he defend better. So it's impossible for him to be a better overall player. No you're reduced to lying.

RJ does play better as evidenced by his numbers. I never said he defended better, I said he is a good defender.

How is it impossible for him to be a better player when he clearly is and proved that as a number one option. If you want to argue he is not a BETTER ROLE player, then maybe, but I still doubt it. But if you are trying to argue player vs. player, RJ is definitely better.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
How am I a homer when I say it is not a failed season and that RJ is a good defender? Am I wrong? If so, explain how.

If Ariza was so great, why did LA bring in Ron? For his passing?

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
How come RJ's 1st option vs Role Player numbers compare, but Ariza's do not?

Ariza's defense is infinitely better than RJ's. Part of the reason why the Rockets are a great team and the Bucks were absolutely horrendous in a shitty conference.

How come Ariza for the whole season last year was not close to his playoff numbers

Already explained.

and how come he has not come close this year?

For people that actually understand basketball. Coach gave him the green light to shoot any shots he wants. He's not a 1st option/create off the dribble type. He's forced out of the role that he excels in.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Rockets are a great team :lol

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
How am I a homer when I say it is not a failed season and that RJ is a good defender? Am I wrong? If so, explain how.

You saying RJ is a good and better defender than Ariza is as homerly delusional as it gets.

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
RJ a good defender :lol

Another 1st round exit not a failed season? :lol

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
You saying RJ is a good and better defender than Ariza is as homerly delusional as it gets.

Where did I say that liar? I said RJ is a good defender. I did not say he is better than Ariza on defense.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
RJ a good defender :lol

Another 1st round exit not a failed season? :lol

Have the playoffs started? Tell me again about those regular season championships.

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
His record is worse than RJ's.

His numbers now 38% FG and 32% 3PT is in line with what you posted in the playoffs?

If Ariza could guard those guys and is a better offensive player than Artest, why was Ron brought in? For his passing? Artest was brought in to guard the guys Ariza could not. Who are they?

21_Blessings
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Record as a first option is better than RJ. Ariza has hit more clutch the past two seasons than RJ has hit in his entire career.

Spurs would have cap flex room if they didn't trade for RJ.

Ron has nothing to do with this.

Ariza's playoff performance was exactly like he was playing for the last 2 months of the season.

j-money24
01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Record as a first option is better than RJ. Ariza has hit more clutch the past two seasons than RJ has hit in his entire career.

Spurs would have cap flex room if they didn't trade for RJ.

Ron has nothing to do with this.

Ariza's playoff performance was exactly like he was playing for the last 2 months of the season.

Ariza averages around 20 shots a game, and shoots ALOT more then any other player on his team and is the 3rd leading scorer on his team. Thats not a good first option.
Ariza has been so overrated, he is just a role player but the rockets have been trying to make him as a star.

The reason the Rockets have been playing good is because Landry and Brooks are playing like All-stars this season

Roxsfan
01-03-2010, 11:08 PM
This is the first time I've seen Manu classified as young in a long time. He's 32 and has significant mileage on him.

Anyway, the Spurs are getting better, but we'll see how they do against good opponents. Their surge lately has been mostly against sub-par teams.

good points.......

jmill
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM
The Lakers look so dominant because of the ease of their schedule. If you look at their record vs above .500 teams. They are 9-5. (That is, with a healthy Lakers team)

This is wrong. 3 of their losses against winning teams came in the first 11 games, without Pau Gasol, including their worst loss of the season. The Lakers without Pau aren't even close to the same team.

Also, their loss against Phoenix came without Artest.

Killakobe81
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Premature ejaculation much?! LOL Ask Raptors who the best in the West is ...or Mavs ...
Since Spurs are better than blow out the Mavs Friday night ...

Chieflion
01-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Premature ejaculation much?! LOL Ask Raptors who the best in the West is ...or Mavs ...
Since Spurs are better than blow out the Mavs Friday night ...
Tacker started this thread. So this thread is not a premature ejaclation thread. An idiot posted it.

iggypop123
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Tacker started this thread. So this thread is not a premature ejaclation thread. An idiot posted it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Forget the OP, it's mostly generalisations and garbage: the Spurs aren't better than the Fakers at the moment... but nor are the Fakers as unbeatable as their fans seem to think they are (record padded by weak schedule and Omri Casspi brain explosion, vulnerable bench).

What the Spurs are is improving! Their chemistry, particularly evident in their passing, defensive rotations, off-ball movement, and timing, is all coming together. Manu has shown that he can overcome his lost half-step by playing smart, TP is showing flashes of the TP we'll need in 3 months, and the role players are all gradually finding their way.

Now we need to start beating good teams.

ImmortalD24
01-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Good jinx CIA OP. :lmao