PDA

View Full Version : NBA players union will fight the Wiz or NBA if they try to void Gilbert's contract

noob cake
01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
The NBA players union will fight the Washington Wizards or the NBA if either tries to void the contracts of two Wizards players who are alleged to have pulled guns on each other before a recent practice.

"They can attempt to take any action they want, but if it contradicts or violates the collective bargaining agreement, then we will litigate over that," Billy Hunter, the NBA Players Association executive director, told the Daily News Saturday. "There's no question we'd litigate."

In light of the reported showdown between the Wizards' star guard Gilbert Arenas and injured reserve Javaris Crittenton, the NBA is expected to severely penalize the players. The possibility exists that the Wizards or NBA could move to void the players' contracts as a way to send a message that gun-play is unacceptable.

Arenas, who makes $16 million this season, would stand to lose close to $100 million. He has another $80 million over four years coming to him. Crittenton makes $1.4 million.

But Hunter indicated that commissioner David Stern is limited to what the current collective bargaining agreement permits via its rules regarding guns. At the least both players were in violation of rules that prohibit players from bringing guns onto team property. The incident allegedly occurred in the locker room of Washington's Verizon Center.

"Right now, the commissioner has ample authority to suspend or fine the players," Hunter said from San Francisco. "To me, he has too much authority and we'd like to cut back on that. I'm not for strengthening (what Stern can do)."

Like the NBA, Hunter is monitoring the investigation being done jointly by the District of Columbia police and the U.S. Attorney's office.

"The players have retained counsel, so they're not talking to anyone," Hunter said. "My reaction to all of this is I want to wait and see what the investigation shows before I make any comments."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/01/02/2010-01-02_nba_players_union_will_fight.html

Xylus
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I imagine the Wizards are going to do whatever it takes to try and void Arenas' contract, especially if the reports are true.

Tacker
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
k

Shank
01-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Does either travel on the team plane with their gats?

Double-Up
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Does either travel on the team plane with their gats?

LOL at trying to get them hemmed up on a Federal Aviation charge. :lol

iggypop123
01-02-2010, 05:35 PM
cheap way to escape a contract. it probably wont work.

Destro
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
during the Brawl at the Palace were Jackson and Artest suspended with or without pay?

Venti Quattro
01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
during the Brawl at the Palace were Jackson and Artest suspended with or without pay?

without pay

What's the purpose of suspending them as a form of reprimand if you're going to pay them anyway?

pauls931
01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Raise of hands... How many here can pull a gun on a coworker and still have a job the next day?

I don't think I would...

Destro
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
without pay

What's the purpose of suspending them as a form of reprimand if you're going to pay them anyway?

Maybe thats Stern's solution, suspend both players for several seasons no pay

Venti Quattro
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Maybe thats Stern's solution, suspend both players for several seasons no pay

Several seasons? Probably not. 30-35 for both players will do.

DaDakota
01-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I hope they void that contract, it would be awesome.

DD

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Raise of hands... How many here can pull a gun on a coworker and still have a job the next day?

I don't think I would...

:lol I don't think you would be free to look for another job either. I hope the Wizards are able to void his contract. When I pay you 116 mill the least I expect you to be able to do is control yourself. Is it fair to the other players for him to be allowed to stay? I don't think I would want him around me after this, because you just never know if he may snap.

I. Hustle
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
cheap way to escape a contract. it probably wont work.

THEY BROUGHT FREAKIN' GUNS TO WORK!!! Cheap way?!

DarkReign
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
THEY BROUGHT FREAKIN' GUNS TO WORK!!! Cheap way?!

Fucking exactly.

And people wonder why loser athletes are worshipped in this country. These two...fucking idiots allegedly brought guns to work and threatened a co-worker.

You and me would be sitting in prison for years. Dont cry a fucking river for ultra-successful hood rats.

phyzik
01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Im surprised, even though it IS the Players Union, that they are standing behind these 2 fucktards.

As much as I want Stern out of his position as comish, I hope he drops a fucking bomb on these 2 idiots and shits all over the Players Union for backing them up.

Muser
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Wtf? Why would you even want to defend douchebags like this?

it's me
01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Wtf? Why would you even want to defend douchebags like this?

you can get a couple of millions.......maybe

phyzik
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/04/nba.players.guns/index.html

Wizards player calls gun incident 'a mistake'

Washington (CNN) -- Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around.

"I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate," Arenas said in a statement released Monday. "Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong."

Citing NBA sources last month, the New York Post reported that Arenas and Javaris Crittenton both brandished firearms in the team's locker room.

Authorities continue to investigate the incident.

Crittenton's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told CNN Monday that his client "hasn't done anything wrong. I'm extremely confident he'll be exonerated."

Asked if Crittenton brought a gun into the Verizon Center that day, Bartelstein said, "I'm not going to get into details." He said Crittenton has not met with authorities, nor has such a meeting been requested or scheduled.

Arenas, a three-time NBA All-Star, spent Monday afternoon in a voluntary meeting with federal prosecutors at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington and with D.C. metropolitan police about the incident, according to his attorney, Kenneth L. Wainstein.

"From the outset of this incident, Mr. Arenas has been fully cooperative with the investigation," Wainstein said in a statement, noting that Arenas relinquished the guns to Wizards security officers and met with authorities to "tell the full story."

"Over the course of a two-hour interview this afternoon, Mr. Arenas answered every question asked of him," Wainstein said in Monday's statement.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office declined to comment on Arenas' statement, citing the ongoing investigation. Arenas said he told authorities that he stored four unloaded guns in his locker the Verizon Center to keep them away from his children.

Arenas said he told authorities that he stored four unloaded guns in his locker the Verizon Center to keep them away from his children.

"I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the DC gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District," he said in the statement.

He offered a public apology to the league, his teammates and his fans, saying, "I promise to do better in the future."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank declined to comment on Arenas' comments, deferring to an earlier statement: "There is an active investigation by DC law enforcement authorities, which we are monitoring closely. We are not taking any independent action at this time."

benefactor
01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
lol backpedaling by Arenas.

As others have said, any one of us would be fired and probably in jail. They have every right to void his contract.

BlackSwordsMan
01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
lol
"I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate," Arenas said

phyzik
01-04-2010, 11:15 PM
At the very least, if he is licensed to carry, I hope they revoke it. You dont use guns to "play a prank" regardless if you know they are unloaded or not. Probably the best way to get shot yourself.

pauls931
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/04/nba.players.guns/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around.

Nice try Gilbert anyone with one fucking ounce of common sense knows you don't play jokes with guns, EVER. Reminds me of the first time my dad took me out with a bb gun. It was not even loaded and I accidentally turned to where my barrel passed across his path and he said 'If that was a real gun, we'd be going home now...'

quickerblade
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
i admit it will be funny if they void his contract, he will lose $80M for a prank.

DaDakota
01-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Please void that contract.....it would send a massive lesson to these prima donnas.

DD

EmptyMan
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
lol

wijayas
01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I hope they void that contract, it would be awesome.

DD

Agree. Time to tell these millionaires that they are bound by the same rule of law.

However, if you are Kobe, you follow different set of law.... Stern will bend over to lift KObe up from dirt. :lol

MiamiHeat
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
lol ... Arenas....

wijayas
01-05-2010, 10:16 AM
lol ... Arenas....

Arenas is NOT Kobe. If he is, he'll be scott-free by now... :lol

Native American
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Life is filled with deceptions, some necessary and others not. Regardless, there are consequences to those deceptions. For example, the horned sheep engages in staged fights with each other as a survival deception to predators. These fake combats lead to predators such as wolves being confused and reluctant to get involved in the altercation. However, one of the consequences of these fake engagements is that the rams who are not involved in the staged battles will often mount and mate with the female sheep during this time. And when I say "horned sheep engaging in staged fights" I mean Gilbert Arenas' dumb ass pulling out guns on his teammates. And when I say "rams who are not involved in the staged battles will often mount and mate the female sheep during this time" I mean that's why Shaq tapped his wifey because Agent Zero is too busy playing cops and robbers with his teammates and not handling his pussy at home.

Have fun raising Shaq's kids, Hibachi. Yeah, that grocery bill won't suck at all.

Chieflion
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Life is filled with deceptions, some necessary and others not. Regardless, there are consequences to those deceptions. For example, the horned sheep engages in staged fights with each other as a survival deception to predators. These fake combats lead to predators such as wolves being confused and reluctant to get involved in the altercation. However, one of the consequences of these fake engagements is that the rams who are not involved in the staged battles will often mount and mate with the female sheep during this time. And when I say "horned sheep engaging in staged fights" I mean Gilbert Arenas' dumb ass pulling out guns on his teammates. And when I say "rams who are not involved in the staged battles will often mount and mate the female sheep during this time" I mean that's why Shaq tapped his wifey because Agent Zero is too busy playing cops and robbers with his teammates and not handling his pussy at home.

Have fun raising Shaq's kids, Hibachi. Yeah, that grocery bill won't suck at all.
Oh my.:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

benefactor
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Native American is quickly moving up the troll ranks.

JamStone
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Agreed. Pretty impressive for only 15 posts.