PDA

View Full Version : SAS bench scoring vs. League

Tio Ratliff
01-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I lack the research skills to find my question if anyone can help. Where does the Spurs bench scoring rank when compared to the rest of the league? Also, is anyone aware of how the starter's minutes compare to that of starters across the league? Thanks ahead of time.

Duncan21kid
01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I believe the spurs' bench leads all bench squads in the league in points/assists/rebounds but im not 100% sure

Chieflion
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I believe the spurs' bench leads all bench squads in the league in points/assists/rebounds but im not 100% sure
This is true. The Spurs have the best bench in the league by far.

Spurs Brazil
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Yes, Wizards TV showed that during the game

alchemist
01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/10/7/diffeff

best bench in the league

unfortunately the starting lineup isn't as efficient

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/10/6/diffeff/1-1

Tio Ratliff
01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Good to know. Appreciate the reply.

Trimble87
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
anyone want to do a little math and change ginobilis stats to the starting lineup and bogans to the bench.

ginobilized
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
ask not what spurstalk may do for you but what can you do for spurstalk

HarlemHeat37
01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Our bench is obviously inflated by Manu and our starting lineup is hurt by having Bogans instead of Manu..either way, we have a very good bench, even without Manu..when you include Manu, easily the best bench in the NBA IMO..

It's the best advantage this team is going to have against most contenders..

Hopefully we can clean up the problems with the starting lineup..

ducks
01-02-2010, 10:06 PM
most in points 42.3
most in rebounds 29.9 I think
most in assist 9.9

raspsa
01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
The bench factor is going to play a heavier role as the season wears on. Spurs will be fresher and have less wear and tear vs other teams who play their regular heavy minutes.

Bargnani, Bosh and Turkoglu put in heavy minutes vs. Boston.. for SA, TD had more minutes than usual but this was an anomaly.. we'll see tomorrow which team can cope better in a B2B. Good thing the Spurs aren't flying cross-country.

silverblackfan
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
You forgot most steals 3.3
:)

my2sons
01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Our bench is obviously inflated by Manu and our starting lineup is hurt by having Bogans instead of Manu..either way, we have a very good bench, even without Manu..when you include Manu, easily the best bench in the NBA IMO..

It's the best advantage this team is going to have against most contenders..

Hopefully we can clean up the problems with the starting lineup..

I believe this to be true in the past, but manu's minutes are way down, he is playing backup minutes compared to years passed, but he has been very inconsistent until recently and he is a true bench player which makes the bench even that much stronger. Bogans life is defense, and bowen was a starter with low scoring output, but a starter none the less for most of his career with SA. This bench is great and i don't think manu would be scoring as much as a starter.

HarlemHeat37
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Oh there's no doubt that Manu wouldn't be doing as much if he was starting, but he's obviously not a traditional bench player..he's our 3rd best player, so he's obviously supposed to be a starter..it's just strategy..

Bogans isn't a legit starter either, his minutes represent the minutes of a bench player(19 MPG)..

Sean Cagney
01-03-2010, 12:47 AM
This is true. The Spurs have the best bench in the league by far.

That there could lead to a title later, I am just saying ;)

raspsa
01-03-2010, 12:59 AM
That there could lead to a title later, I am just saying ;)

That's the idea.. the deeper they go into the postseason, a deep bench is going to be a big advantage.

phyzik
01-03-2010, 01:16 AM
If anything, at this point, the bench is whats going to win us a title.

It seems like our big 3 are keeping us in the game, when benchers come in we dominate.

Over a 7 game series thats going to be HUGE!

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Benches are usually minimized in the playoffs though. They are not obsolete, but the starters usually play 40 MPG+, so the effects are usually muted to a degree. We will see how this pans out, but with Mason's improved play along with Dice on the bench and Hill making strides, I like the depth a lot.

tlongII
01-03-2010, 02:16 AM
The Blazers have the best bench in the league. It's just that they're all starting right now. :lol

BillMc
01-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Oh there's no doubt that Manu wouldn't be doing as much if he was starting, but he's obviously not a traditional bench player..he's our 3rd best player, so he's obviously supposed to be a starter..it's just strategy..

Bogans isn't a legit starter either, his minutes represent the minutes of a bench player(19 MPG)..

I think a healthy Manu is actually our second best player (Just my opinion). Regardless, what's really neat to watch is how Manu is the "captain" of our bench players and those starters (Blair for example) that tend to get time playing with the bench. They love his passing and play making. There is a "Manu effect" that really helps everyone. Its also funny that our "backup" 2 guard is a better passer than any of our point guards!

I hope Manu stays healthy enough to get another sixthman award.

I am concerned that we rely on our bench too much, it will hurt when the rotations are shortened during the playoffs. But its a good problem to have this early in the season.

By the way, RC make Manu an offer now!!!!!

EricB
01-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Why mMs an offer now?

mazerrackham
01-03-2010, 02:44 AM
I really wish that Mason was starting, although I would hope it wouldn't hurt the niche he's beginning to find now...

Danny.Zhu
01-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Don't flatter yourselves.

SAS bench played the most minutes in the league. So supposedly they should be no.1 in points, rebounds and assists just to qualify themselves to be average.

So I'm not pleased with the Offreb and Blk where we are not close to no 1.

I'm pleased with the fact that SAS bench shot 7th accurate field goal and 3rd accurate 3 ball in the league.

kace
01-03-2010, 06:07 AM

SAS bench played the most minutes in the league.

exactly. Our bench is good, but considering the minutes it plays (with manu, one of our best player in it), this stat is not very surprising.

So supposedly they should be no.1 in points, rebounds and assists just to qualify themselves to be average.

though, this is false. depends on the numbers.

HarlemHeat37
01-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Our bench is #7 in blocks and #6 in offensive rebounds my friend..

the argument can be made that our bench plays that many minutes because of how productive they've been though..this is the most minutes a Spurs team has ever had coming off the bench, so it really could be that they're getting so much time due to their high production..

also, the Spurs have been one of the top benches when it comes to minutes since Manu started coming off the bench..like I said, the numbers are inflated when you include Manu..

Chieflion
01-03-2010, 06:08 AM

SAS bench played the most minutes in the league. So supposedly they should be no.1 in points, rebounds and assists just to qualify themselves to be average.

So I'm not pleased with the Offreb and Blk where we are not close to no 1.

I'm pleased with the fact that SAS bench shot 7th accurate field goal and 3rd accurate 3 ball in the league.
No. There is a reason why scrubs on the other team don't get any playing time, but the Spurs bench gets plenty. It is not all just "they get minutes, they produce." I don't think Sasha Vujacic produces even with minutes, do you?

HarlemHeat37
01-03-2010, 06:12 AM
the Spurs bench was also #1 in minutes in 2009, 2008 and 2007..yet they didn't produce anywhere near what they've produced this season..

igruex
01-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Even though our bench's playing more than the others, there are relative stats (always needed in these kind of comparissons) showing that our bench is far more efficient than the rest without counting minutes.

Oh, and Manu's not playing bench minutes. Take a look at his playing time in the last 10 games.

smeagol
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Why mMs an offer now?

Because the SPurs might get a better deal now than later . . .