PDA

View Full Version : So after the drama, and the atrocious start, and the bandwaggoners....

Cry Havoc
01-03-2010, 01:06 AM
This horrible horrible ghastly Spurs team is 3rd in the Western Conference even after dealing with injuries to two of our stars. They're drubbing bad teams and need to find a way to beat the great teams.

You know what? We're 20-11. On pace to blow past 50 wins again.

I'll take it.

If this team can just gel a little more and play consistently, we could make a run at 60 wins this year.

:flag:

phyzik
01-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Haters are gonna hate.... It's what they do.

They will never be happy.

Im predicting a 2005 Tpark-like Meltdown from at least 10 posters this year.

bobby4germany
01-03-2010, 01:12 AM
:toast

DPG21920
01-03-2010, 01:13 AM
I can't wait until the stretch where they play Dal/la/okc. Spurs need to take care of business against TOR/DET, but I want the big bois.

ffadicted
01-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I can't wait until the stretch where they play Dal/la/okc. Spurs need to take care of business against TOR/DET, but I want the big bois.

Spurs gotta go at least 2 for 3 in that stretch, but I'm hoping they go 3 for 3 and finally solidify ourselves as legit contenders

Danny.Zhu
01-03-2010, 02:12 AM

I will be happy even if Spurs can only beat one of Mavs or Lakers.

EricB
01-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Beat who's on the schedule. Don't give a shit who it is.

Cry Havoc
01-03-2010, 04:04 AM

+1

I would rather be 64-18 at the end of the year with all 18 losses coming to teams over .500 than 59-23 with a decent record against +.500 teams.

raspsa
01-03-2010, 04:13 AM
The Spurs have shown definite improvement w/c can't be denied. Pop's method is beginning to show results but there is lots of room (and time) to get better, Hopefully the team peaks at the right time and not too early.. and pray that no major injuries arise.

VivaPopovich
01-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Wait, are you counting Matt Bonner as a "star"?

lol

Kamnik
01-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Maybe loosing is just a thing a thing we need to get rid of bandwagoners...

Bukefal
01-03-2010, 05:48 AM
We do pretty well, it seems things are working out how they should. Parker started with distributing the ball more and then he said he was going to his old self, being more offensive, that lasted only a game or two, but now it seems he has taken the role of distributing again.

But well, a win is all that matters.

Go Spurs!

HarlemHeat37
01-03-2010, 06:15 AM
the D is now 9th in the NBA, so there has been some serious improvements..still a lot of work to do though, especially when it comes to the P&R defense..

the record is nice and the team has weathered the storm, but there's still a long way to go..that record vs. .500 teams HAS to go up..I expect it to go up with Parker and Ginobili improving, but I will be concerned if they lose to both Dallas and LA in convincing fashion..

exstatic
01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't see us being "after the bandwagoners" until Tim leaves, the team tanks, and they go on to some other team to complain about everything not being perfect. They're just a bit quiet now, and believe me, it's eating at them like battery acid that the Spurs are winning and they can't complain.

rascal
01-03-2010, 10:25 AM
The only team that matters is the Lakers. Can't beat them consistently then forget about a title this year.

rascal
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
+1

I would rather be 64-18 at the end of the year with all 18 losses coming to teams over .500 than 59-23 with a decent record against +.500 teams.

No, a bad record against the top teams is indicative of a team that is not good enough to win a championship.

narmerguy
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
No, a bad record against the top teams is indicative of a team that is not good enough to win a championship.

Exactly. We need to be able to beat the teams in the playoffs. Damn a good seed, that will only prolong the inevitable matchups that must come.

Leetonidas
01-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I don't see the Spurs beating the Lakers yet. They are playing well, yes, but Parker is still looking a little slow and he is the one thing we have on the Lakers. Fisher cannot play D for crap, no one on that team can stop TP. So, if TP comes out on fire, aggressive, and is making mince meat of Fisher/Farmar/Brown, then we have a good shot. However, I will be happy even if they lose but play with intensity and aggressiveness for the whole 48 minutes because the Lakers are the best team in the league.

easy7
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Teams do step it up on the playoffs and records are not worth anything then. For an example of this check the Mavs when they had the number one seed against the 8th seeded Warriors.

vander
01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
just don't be all surprised when a tougher schedule translates to more losses and causes Manu and TP to struggle

what a lame bandwagon thread, thinking that beating a bunch of shitty teams actually means something going forward :rolleyes

Leetonidas
01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
just don't be all surprised when a tougher schedule translates to more losses and causes Manu and TP to struggle

what a lame bandwagon thread, thinking that beating a bunch of shitty teams actually means something going forward :rolleyes

You realize that the Spurs' losses to "good teams" have all been very, very close? And this is with them playing like crap. They lost to Utah and Portland twice, not really teams I'd consider to be cream of the crop, and that accounts for over a third of their total losses. Other than them you have the losses against Denver and Boston, which we were right there and gave away with turnovers, then the losses to OKC/Phoenix (again, not great teams), and a loss to Dallas after we already beat them short handed.

I think people are looking at our record against .500+ teams and scoffing, but, when you really look at it, a lot of those losses, minus Dallas/Denver/Boston, came against mediocre teams anyway, and the Denver/Boston games were really close.

The Spurs have yet to play to their potential yet and I think they've done okay so far, all things considered. Remember, oh pessimistic whiny Spur fan, that these are all NBA teams and they all have talent. A win is a win, and these wins against the crap teams are helping the guys get in shape and boost their confidence so they can kick some .500+ ass.

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
10-3 with Mike Finley out.
5-1 with Matt Bonner out.

Way to make adjustments Pop.
Way to celebrate those adjustments, PopApologists. :rollin

Agloco
01-03-2010, 12:28 PM

:wtf

Agloco
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

You realize that the Spurs' losses to "good teams" have all been very, very close? And this is with them playing like crap. They lost to Utah and Portland twice, not really teams I'd consider to be cream of the crop, and that accounts for over a third of their total losses. Other than them you have the losses against Denver and Boston, which we were right there and gave away with turnovers, then the losses to OKC/Phoenix (again, not great teams), and a loss to Dallas after we already beat them short handed.

I think people are looking at our record against .500+ teams and scoffing, but, when you really look at it, a lot of those losses, minus Dallas/Denver/Boston, came against mediocre teams anyway, and the Denver/Boston games were really close.

The Spurs have yet to play to their potential yet and I think they've done okay so far, all things considered. Remember, oh pessimistic whiny Spur fan, that these are all NBA teams and they all have talent. A win is a win, and these wins against the crap teams are helping the guys get in shape and boost their confidence so they can kick some .500+ ass.

+1 Good observation Leetonidas. Here's a thread to illustrate the point.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143333

dbestpro
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
The season is the season and always has been. My major comcern now is how Pop expects to defeat the size of the Lakers with small ball.

SpurCharger
01-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Lol, Maybe They Need To Have season ending Injuries!

the crimson blur
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
The only team that matters is the Lakers. Can't beat them consistently then forget about a title this year.

Wrong. The only team that matters is the Spurs. Our own improvement, commitment, and health will decide our year. No other teams matter; as long as we improve enough, we can take anyone.

Who knows if we will even face the Lakers anyway. Its so early. All we should care about is how well we play as a team, and thats all.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
It's Only January should still be in full effect. There's a shitload more of the season to go and plenty of cliff jumping will result.

dbestpro
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
One of the things that bothers me abour small ball is you can play lights out and still lose to a team of greater size like the Lakers even if they do not play, as well. Size matters.

SequSpur
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
This horrible horrible ghastly Spurs team is 3rd in the Western Conference even after dealing with injuries to two of our stars. They're drubbing bad teams and need to find a way to beat the great teams.

You know what? We're 20-11. On pace to blow past 50 wins again.

I'll take it.

If this team can just gel a little more and play consistently, we could make a run at 60 wins this year.

:flag:

Fool's Gold.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
One of the things that bothers me abour small ball is you can play lights out and still lose to a team of greater size like the Lakers even if they do not play, as well. Size matters.

Smallball could be useful with the team as it is currently constructed. I would never have said it before, but now, it's a viable - and tempting for Pop even when our big guys are doing well on any particular night - option.

Long have I been a proponent of tall ball, for a lot of different reasons; the call lies with Pop, who obviously feels different. Even when we've had somewhat able big men (like this season), he has been a staunch user of small ball tactics..

Eventually you focus on the positives.

It's good to know the times have changed personnel wise, at least. In years past, smallball was not nearly as tempting as it is now. Finley was the guy Pop wanted playing against larger guys at 33-35 years of age; that never succeeded against the big boys (Mavs and Laker fails to show for it; Phoenix was a team that small ball actually was useful against though tall ball was still a better option and almost always will be)

Now, RJ at PF will make any opposing bigs sweat on both ends. And on offense, I don't mind Tim being surrounded by the likes of Manu/RJ/Tony/Mason or Hill or whoever one bit. It's the defensive matchups that worry me. I look forward to the tougher stretches of our schedule.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
They look good, but I'm still worried. My main worry is that Tim and Manu are peaking way too early. Can they keep up this play the entire season? Will Mason be hitting at the end of the year?

RJ's help defense as of late has been very very very good however. I'm really enjoying his play as of late.

We'll see how they play against the better teams and how they do down the stretch.

In any event, health is going to be the number one concern so if you're not walking on egg shells for the rest of the season then you're not a smart Spurs fan.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
In any event, health is going to be the number one concern so if you're not walking on egg shells for the rest of the season then you're not a smart Spurs fan.

There's no reason to fret about it, either. If someone goes down, they go down. Nothing you can do about it.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
There's no reason to fret about it, either. If someone goes down, they go down. Nothing you can do about it.

Uh, theres nothing you can do about ANYTHING Spurs related yet 99% of this forum is fretting about it.

dbestpro
01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Uh, theres nothing you can do about ANYTHING Spurs related yet 99% of this forum is fretting about it.

Isn't that about everything in life?

z0sa
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM

What? 99% of this forum isn't fretting about walking on eggshells over our health issues.

Let me clarify: I understand your sentiment that a "smart" spurs fan should be concerned about our health issues, but being that it's as uncontrollable as fate, a smart spurs fan won't "walk on eggshells" all season over it, either.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
What? 99% of this forum isn't fretting about walking on eggshells over our health issues.

Let me clarify: I understand your sentiment that a "smart" spurs fan should be concerned about our health issues, but being that it's as uncontrollable as fate, a smart spurs fan won't "walk on eggshells" all season over it, either.

Are you bored? You understand the premise of my point then you spend time arguing over semantics? You must be bored.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Are you bored? You understand the premise of my point then you spend time arguing over semantics? You must be bored.

I understand your point. I also think there's plenty of smart Spur fans who don't walk on egg shells over our health issues. You spread a blanket of false negativity with the assertion that "smart" spursfan are worried sick over our health.

You know, technically, we don't have any long term health issues to speak of, at least if we're going to trust the Spurs doctors and Spurs optimists. Tim's knees are about the only thing that's predictably, therefore justifiably, worrisome. So if you know something I don't, fill me in.

Pauleta14
01-03-2010, 03:40 PM

I don't think it is as much important than health...
That's my ONLY worry!
If they are in shape starting the PO, ANYTHING is possible, whatever our record is...

angelbelow
01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
haha

Dre_7
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't post here as much as I used to, but I read the forum every day. If one was to look back at my history of posting here at ST, they would see that the one thing about me that never changes is that I will never, ever give up on the Spurs. I will always love them, even when the Duncan era ends and they have to rebuild.

HOWEVER, the Duncan era isnt over and the Spurs window is still open to win another ring or two in the next two to three seasons.

No matter how poor they start, or who they lose to, I believe that this team, as long as they make the Playoffs (which they will), are going to win it all, every year. It doesnt always turn out that way, but I always have, and always will BELIEVE!!

tmtcsc
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM

:tu That.

Mr.Robinson
01-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't post here as much as I used to, but I read the forum every day. If one was to look back at my history of posting here at ST, they would see that the one thing about me that never changes is that I will never, ever give up on the Spurs. I will always love them, even when the Duncan era ends and they have to rebuild.

HOWEVER, the Duncan era isnt over and the Spurs window is still open to win another ring or two in the next two to three seasons.

No matter how poor they start, or who they lose to, I believe that this team, as long as they make the Playoffs (which they will), are going to win it all, every year. It doesnt always turn out that way, but I always have, and always will BELIEVE!!

Same here.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I understand your point. I also think there's plenty of smart Spur fans who don't walk on egg shells over our health issues. You spread a blanket of false negativity with the assertion that "smart" spursfan are worried sick over our health.

You know, technically, we don't have any long term health issues to speak of, at least if we're going to trust the Spurs doctors and Spurs optimists. Tim's knees are about the only thing that's predictably, therefore justifiably, worrisome. So if you know something I don't, fill me in.

The number one obstacle to this team competing will be health. That was the point. If you don't agree, then you haven't paid attention to this team over the past several years.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
The number one obstacle to this team competing will be health.

Any team could say that. Think Boston. Stop crying about shit you can't control and expecting other "smart" Spurs fan to follow you into your woeful hole.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Any team could say that. Think Boston. Stop crying about shit you can't control and expecting other "smart" Spurs fan to follow you into your woeful hole.

:lmao my woeful hole? Yeah because I acknowledge the greatest obstacle to the Spurs I'm some kind of depressed cutter over the Spurs. Context. Do you know what that is?

And any team can say that to a degree but not every other team has a super star with the knees Duncan has, a sixth man with the body Manu has, or a point guard with the miles Tony has.

Let me put it to you this way, does Kobe sit out the first quarter in a back to back?

z0sa
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
:lmao my woeful hole? Yeah because I acknowledge the greatest obstacle to the Spurs I'm some kind of depressed cutter over the Spurs. Context. Do you know what that is?

First of all, you have certainly sounded like a depressed cutter throughout this thread. Second of all, "Walking on eggshells", when used in any context, means extreme worry and care must be taken. Third of all, you're not the foremost leading expert on who or what smart spurfan comprises. So, step away from the health's ledge, stop judging other posters who refuse to base their entertainment value on a team's future instead of its present, and manage your anger. We're both fans of the same team.

And any team can say that to a degree but not every other team has a super star with the knees Duncan has,

KG

a sixth man with the body Manu has,

According to team sources, Manu's body is 100% healthy and he's been playing like it.

or a point guard with the miles Tony has.

Let me put it to you this way, does Kobe sit out the first quarter in a back to back?

Funny you mention Kobe with Tony and Tim - he's got more miles than both and relies on his athleticism about 5x more than Tim ever has. Kobe also carried shit teams for years while averaging incredible stats, something which probably doubles the severity of his mileage compared with TP.

And TP is 27 years old FFS. If you haven't been keeping up with current Spur events, let me predict one should actually be expecting his overall conditioning and health to improve over the course of the season.

And finally, that move by Pop was a dumb one. We can both agree there, eh?

MannyIsGod
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Walking on eggshells in the context of the Spurs does not mean I'm going to off myself if Tim Duncan gets hurt. You keep harping on this when as of the 2nd post I made in this thread I made it clear nothing that happens to the Spurs makes a huge impact on my life. The Spurs are entertainment and nothing more. I thought this would be clear but apparently you're a little slow on that front.

I don't care what they say about Manu's health. I care about what his health is in May, not in December. I'm not in the least convinced that he's going to hold up and history vindicates my position here.

Yeah, Kobe has a ton of miles on him yet he's not breaking down the way Duncan and Manu are. You don't have to get defensive about the facts. They are what they are. You act like I'm kicking your baby daughter. You latch on to these stupid ideas and you won't let go. Aren't you the same guy who argued when everyone slammed you about Rap? Exactly the same shit in this thread.

And yeah, Tony is 27 and has been playing pro ball for over a decade and has looked less than stellar this year. I'm not sure why that should inspire confidence but you appear to believe it should.

I'm not saying the Spurs are going to suck dude, so you can stop trying to martyr them. Jesus. The only thing I've learned in this thread is that you suck at judging emotion over the internet and you're overly defensive about the Spurs. Congrats, you fit in perfectly here.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Walking on eggshells in the context of the Spurs does not mean I'm going to off myself if Tim Duncan gets hurt.

Thanks for clarifying that, it's not been apparent whatsoever regardless of whether you accept the notion. It does make one curious, though: why would you be walking on egg shells, then?

You keep harping on this when as of the 2nd post I made in this thread I made it clear nothing that happens to the Spurs makes a huge impact on my life.

Great, so why would you be walking on eggshells?

The Spurs are entertainment and nothing more. I thought this would be clear but apparently you're a little slow on that front.

There you go with that overbearing "I'm smarter than other fans" attitude. I got news for you, son: 31,000 posts doesn't mean you're smarter than anyone.

Oh, and while Spurs are "merely entertainment" for me as well, I consider myself a very avid spursfan, and a paying one, so that's really a misnomer for the true fan like myself. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way as I.

I don't care what they say about Manu's health. I care about what his health is in May, not in December. I'm not in the least convinced that he's going to hold up and history vindicates my position here.

In other words, you think you know better than Spurs doctors and personnel.

Are you a doctor, and do you have previously unknown information concerning Manu's longterm health? Otherwise, you deserve no more than a nice big :lmao.

Yeah, Kobe has a ton of miles on him yet he's not breaking down the way Duncan and Manu are.

Manu missed the 40something games and the playoffs of one season. Perhaps you haven't watched much NBA ball, because many other players have encountered the same, even at similar ages, and continued strong play. It happens all the time.

You don't have to get defensive about the facts.

Which 'facts' have you brought to the table? You deny Manu's health even though team officials have made it utmost clear his body is fully recovered from all injuries and offseason surgery. You call out Kobe, who's got tons less tread on his tires compared with TP or even Tim, as some kind of smoking gun. Sorry, but you haven't brought anything tangible as of yet.

You act like I'm kicking your baby daughter.

Where did I act like that - with quotes and explanations.

You latch on to these stupid ideas and you won't let go. Aren't you the same guy who argued when everyone slammed you about Rap? Exactly the same shit in this thread.

"Everyone"? I made my opinion felt and battled with some trolls for fun. It's people like you, who conveniently consider themselves smarter than everyone who disagrees with their perspective or opinion, who believe I did anymore than defend my opinions. You having 30,000 posts, I'm sure you've done the same much more often than I have, against similar opposition.

And yeah, Tony is 27 and has been playing pro ball for over a decade and has looked less than stellar this year. I'm not sure why that should inspire confidence but you appear to believe it should.

I guess you missed the articles where Tony says he's rounding into shape and will improve as the year goes along?

Congrats, you fit in perfectly here.

Why do you think you're so much better than me, or anyone else here? GTFO if you don't like it. 31,000 posts says you won't.

z0sa
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
This was a thread to call out bandwagoners, and one of the forum's most prolific, and arguably memorable, Spurs fans and posters goes all emo during it.

Why Manny?

HarlemHeat37
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
As I said on page 1..still a long way to go..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
We still need to start beating good teams, but this is just about exactly where I said we'd be to start January, and we're doing just fine.

Fucking cliffjumpers should really just do it.

vander
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM

make that 5-2 against cellar-dweller competition, oh well, the stat looked good for a while at least :lol

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 11:39 PM
make that 5-2 against cellar-dweller competition, oh well, the stat looked good for a while at least :lol
yeah 5-2 is horrible. Esp with Poop handing the game to Toronto tonight with his goofyassed lineup altering.

Next.

Agloco
01-04-2010, 12:03 AM
yeah 5-2 is horrible. Esp with Timmy handing the game to Toronto tonight with his shitty free throw shooting.

Next.

fify

Allanon
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a weird season.

Phoenix was #1 in the West not too long ago and now they're #6.

#4 Spurs started slowly but now are 1 loss behind train-wrecked #3 Portland.
#11 Hornets are only 3 losses from 3rd place

Lots of West teams in the Playoff hunt this year.

vander
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
yeah 5-2 is horrible. Esp with Poop handing the game to Toronto tonight with his goofyassed lineup altering.

Next.

we could have gone 5-2 without Duncan against those teams :lol