PDA

View Full Version : Cornell MILR

silk
01-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Hi guys,

I know it's not an usual topic in this forum but I need some info concerning Cornell MILR Education. I'm a business and philosophy student from France and i'm a spurs fan, so posting and reading here I know there's always a lot of people and good advices available.

The fact is, I don't know that well US Education and Cornell, my school has an agreement allowing me to come in here and study Human Resources Management , Conflicts arbitration etc... The cost is quite heavy so I want to be sure I'm not fooling myself.

Can we really believe in employment rates and salaries with this degree (quite impressive according to Cornell website) ? Can a French (indian origin) guy find job in HR now, with financial crisis, or do you prefer to employ americans (I'd understand ^^). I just don't want to pay for this education and then, not being able to find a good job...

Thanks for reading and excuse my english !

BadOdor
01-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Son, is this some kind of made-up degree??!! "arbitration of conflicts"??!! why don't you study a real subject, like chemistry or accounting?!!!

lol france.

silk
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
No, it's just one course and a concentration possibility emphasizing positionnal bargaining. But forget it, the degree is more about human resource management and industrial labor relations

I'm not sure chemistry is a safer choice than HRM but that's not the point..

Destro
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
An advanced degree from Cornell will get you a great job in any economy

CubanMustGo
01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Cornell is generally regarded one of the top universities in the United States; I don't know about the specific program you're looking at, but generally speaking, a degree from Cornell would look very good on a résumé.

The one difficulty you could face would be that it is sometimes difficult for businesses to secure the necessary permits and visas to allow non-citizens to work here. If nothing else, this would be an area you should discuss with the folks at both your current college and Cornell before making any final decisions. The current economic situation, with luck, will be somewhat improved before you get into the workforce.

CosmicCowboy
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Be nice to him. This guy could be our next "Labor Czar". Seriously, as deeply and inextricably involved as the US Government has gotten with private industry in the last year the new job growth in that area of study will probably be in the Federal sector and unfortunately they are never adversely affected by recessions.

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
State School [/old Ivy League taunt of Cornell]

ashbeeigh
01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Have you talked to/tried to connect to anyone associated with that program? They're going to know a ton more about it than we are. And, as mentioned before Cornell is a great school.

j-6
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi guys,

I know it's not an usual topic in this forum but I need some info concerning Cornell MILR Education. I'm a business and philosophy student from France and i'm a spurs fan, so posting and reading here I know there's always a lot of people and good advices available.

The fact is, I don't know that well US Education and Cornell, my school has an agreement allowing me to come in here and study Human Resources Management , Conflicts arbitration etc... The cost is quite heavy so I want to be sure I'm not fooling myself.

Can we really believe in employment rates and salaries with this degree (quite impressive according to Cornell website) ? Can a French (indian origin) guy find job in HR now, with financial crisis, or do you prefer to employ americans (I'd understand ^^). I just don't want to pay for this education and then, not being able to find a good job...

Thanks for reading and excuse my english !

Where's Katy?

Anyway, if you are trying to find a job in the US with a foreign degree, have zero experience, and you're going to require a H-1B, you are fooling yourself. One course from Cornell isn't going to sway someone's opinion of your French diploma and this is the most difficult country in the world to get a work visa for. On top of everything, you'll be dealing with American human resource people for a position in their specific field and you'll require sponsorship. It'll never happen.

If you were in something scientific by nature (IT, medicine, chemistry) you'd still need experience. I think you are better off finding a American in Paris to teach you American English, find an HR job upon graduation in the EU with a company with offices in America, intensely network within, and apply internally for anything that matches your qualifications. Then once you get here complete a graduate program and get PHR and SPHR certification - Six Sigma wouldn't hurt either - and make yourself indispensable.

Hope this helps.

silk
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Please, it is not "one course from Cornell", It is the Master ILR Degree from Cornell. And of course, i would complete it with a 6 months US internship.

But your post helped me to measure better the difficulty to get an HR job there, even with a good US degree and US experience. In fact, France is a lot like US for this kind of thing: here, you can look for a job even with a great degree from a great US college, if it's not Harvard or Princeton, average or low-level French B-School graduates will get the nod

P.S : I'm coming from a pretty good school in France, hence the partnership with Cornell. But it seems a little too costly and risky investment. I like to get advices from "neutral" persons, because people in my school and in Cornell tends to defend and to sell their dual degree program, it's normal, but a little "subjective" and i'm kind of a very cautious guy

j-6
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
It's not "one course from Cornell", It is the Master ILR Degree from Cornell. And of course, i would complete it with a long US internship.

But your post helped me to measure better the difficulty to get an HR job there, even with a good US degree. In fact, France is a lot like US for this kind of thing: here, you can look for a job even with a great degree from a great US college, if it's not Harvard or Princeton, average French B-School graduates will get the nod

Sorry, I didn't research your post. I don't think a graduate level degree in labor relations from Cornell is going to help you find immediate work upon graduation in the US. An American HR degree wouldn't be that valuable in France since we have different workplace cultures and vast legal differences.

The only value I can see in this really is if you go work for a company headquartered in France with American employees, maybe like Nestle? But that's quite a niche and I wouldn't think worth the investment. It may be worth your time to find someone in HR at such a firm and ask what they think.

Good luck.

silk
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks J-6. I'm trying to get and to cross as much info from different sources as possible to make my choice. But, as you said, right now, it seems too costly an investment

Whisky Dog
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Unless it's going to be free education for you (scholarship/grant) I would never do it. You'll end up paying your salary from working back for the degree and it'll be pointless.