PDA

View Full Version : NFL will review practice of sitting starters

SpursFanFirst
01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/goodell-review-sitting-starters-010310

Goodell: NFL to review practice of sitting starters

Updated Jan 3, 2010 1:25 PM EDT
MIAMI (AP)
Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL competition committee will review league policy regarding late-season games where teams might be tempted to rest their starters for the playoffs.

Goodell said the league was sensitive to criticism of the Indianapolis Colts' decision to go with backups a week ago in a game they lost, ending their bid for a perfect season.

The Colts already had clinched Home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs when coach Jim Caldwell sat Peyton Manning and other starters in the second half, and the New York Jets rallied to win. NFL purists were upset the Colts didn't go all-out with a shot at a perfect season.

Goodell, speaking before Sunday's Dolphins-Steelers game, said he wants every game to be competitive.

Hm. Thanks, but too little, too late. :depressed

DAF86
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
And what exactly do they plan to do to avoid it?

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Now they're saying that, rather than penalizing teams, they will reward teams for continuing to play - perhaps, by giving them extra draft picks or other incentives.

kidd_91
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
what they should do is make teams announce ahead of time if the starters will be benched and offer to refund ticket holders if they choose to not attend the game. I know I would be pissed if I spend hundreds of dollars for tickets to see second stringers.

I. Hustle
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I was listening to Sports Talk this morning and they raised a very valid point. Goodell wants to make all the starters play but then wants to add more games to the season. Players get hurt pretty often now as it is but then you add some more games before the playoffs even begin and there is even more chance for injuries. Sure the Indy situation sucked but at the same time they already clinched their spot and as a coach I would want my guys at 100% come playoff time.

ATRAIN
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
What Indy does sucks, but hey they earned that right and it was their option to rest the starters. It might come back to bite them in the ass cause they might be cold.

PublicOption
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4792582

...........never mind

.....................NFL.

Kermit
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I heard or read someone propose that everyone play divisional opponents in their last three games to try and prevent this from happening. That and incentives should help.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, giving the playoff teams more draft picks would keep the league competitive.

I hope this is just a wild rumor and not something leaked by the NFL. Because it is, and would be, that fucking stupid.

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, giving the playoff teams more draft picks would keep the league competitive.

I hope this is just a wild rumor and not something leaked by the NFL. Because it is, and would be, that fucking stupid.

I see what you're saying, but these would be 5th or 6th round.

Giving incentives would still be better than that original rumor.

Blake
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Giving incentives would still be better than that original rumor.

that's like saying dog crap is better than cat crap

01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I see what you're saying, but these would be 5th or 6th round.

And?

That still doesn't make my point any less relevant.

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
And?

That still doesn't make my point any less relevant.

I didn't say your point was less relevant. I was just pointing out that it was a "lesser" pick.

01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
But a pick nonetheless.

Why not just give them additional rosters spots? I mean, this would just be the 46th and 47th guys on the bench.

Or expand the rookie pool for them. After all, it is a measly few hundred thousand in a multi billion dollar league.

Because that is completely fair to the other 25 or so teams who aren't in that position, right?

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Touchy, touchy.

Good grief.

01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Are you "serious"? It's an unfair competitive advantage given solely for doing what you're supposed to do in the first place. Somehow, that makes "sense" to you. It's not surprising after reading some of your other posts.

BTW, see how stupid it looks when you quote yourself even though it's the first time you say it?

SpursFanFirst
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Are you "serious"? It's an unfair competitive advantage given solely for doing what you're supposed to do in the first place. Somehow, that makes "sense" to you. It's not surprising after reading some of your other posts.

BTW, see how stupid it looks when you quote yourself even though it's the first time you say it?

Why are you such an ass?
I didn't say it was fair or right...just pointing out what I've heard.
I never said I agreed or disagreed with it...nor did I ever say that what you said was wrong. You took my comment personally, and shouldn't have.

And what's wrong with my other posts?