PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my BA degree, now what?

Soul_Patch
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Im 32 years old as of the 30th. Have an above average paying job for the area. For the ammount of work i do vs how much i am paid, i am probably more wealthy than Bill Gates. Im bored though, and even though i dont need one, feel like i want a change.

Should i pursue a masters degree? Would that even be worth it? I even considered law school.

Ive considered taking a pay cut and pursing a job as a police officer, but found out they wont take anyone who has ever done cocaine in their entire life....woops. Decisions you make at 17 years old can affect you at 32 kids....Considered things like border patrol, dps, game warden too...

I dont know, i just feel like i want a more challenging or fulfilling career...

go club!

Udokafan05
01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Keep the current job since they are hard to come by, and do night classes.

lefty
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
keep the current job since they are hard to come by, and do night classes.

+1

baseline bum
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Im 32 years old as of the 30th. Have an above average paying job for the area. For the ammount of work i do vs how much i am paid, i am probably more wealthy than Bill Gates. Im bored though, and even though i dont need one, feel like i want a change.

Should i pursue a masters degree? Would that even be worth it? I even considered law school.

Ive considered taking a pay cut and pursing a job as a police officer, but found out they wont take anyone who has ever done cocaine in their entire life....woops. Decisions you make at 17 years old can affect you at 32 kids....Considered things like border patrol, dps, game warden too...

go club!

So just lie about the coke.

Soul_Patch
01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
So just lie about the coke.

They polygraph about that stuff.

Im considering a Masters or Law School, but dont know exactly if that would make me better off than now. I know it WOULD make me about 30k + more in debt to education...

Cane
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Stay in your line of work and get promoted to a manager level if thats possible - it could provide that change, challenge, respect, etc. you're looking for. Earning a BA degree should only have strengthened your resume.

baseline bum
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM

Penn & Teller's Bullshit! made a pretty convincing argument that polygraph tests only work if you believe they do. They also showed a way to beat polygraph tests is to clench your asshole, which drives your blood pressure up. Here's a link to the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9NSXy176oA

Blue Jew
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
i just feel like i want a more challenging or fulfilling career...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/080/3/2/Walmart_Name_Tag_Stock_by_Fightforastupidcause.jpg

Blue Jew
01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
to beat polygraph tests is to clench your asshole, .

polygraph testing is very popular in prison.

which drives your blood pressure up.

and your lovers also!

Frenzy
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
School loans...argh.

j-6
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM

go club!

First off, congrats. Even if you stay put, you've probably learned more about time management than you would believe.

What is your new degree in? Can it make you more money with your current employer in a position of greater responsibility? Is it relevant to whatever you are doing now?

If so, you could very easily sell yourself to Corporate America as a guy with a bachelors with 12 years experience, since nobody's really going to care whether you got it now or back in the day. Most people I know that have done what you did - going back or started late - forget that the experience is a lot more important than the diploma, but the diploma is a tool you never had in your favor before.

I wouldn't chase a career change unless your mind is made up about boredom. Job change, sure. You could plug your skills into a job you deem mindless somewhere else and really make your mark quickly. And increase your income at the same time.

Finally, don't look at what other new grads ten years younger than you are doing. That's ignorant. You are employed and comfortable, and just did something to better yourself.

spursncowboys
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Im considering a Masters or Law School, but dont know exactly if that would make me better off than now. I know it WOULD make me about 30k + more in debt to education...

My buddy who is a SA police officer just told them that he felt uncomfortable about cocaine and that was the reason for his irregular heart pattern when answering the coke question. He also did coke but lied. Have you looked into Bexar Co. Sherriffs? If you want to be a cop, and have a few problems with the law,you should go to a big city 1st. LAPD, Dallas, Houston, NYPD all have national career fairs and usually hire anybody for a probation period basis. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

Larry David
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Just remember... it's not a lie, if you believe it.

Heath Ledger
01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Umm don't admit to doing cocaine?

MiamiHeat
01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, that's dumb...

Under age mistakes should NOT follow you to adult hood after so many years have passed.... that was 15 years ago for you... wow.

Frenzy
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Step #1

Do not solicit career advice from SpursTalk.com
Step one should be don't double post. :downspin:

Blake
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM

go club!

If you want a real change, go get a BS in something specific.

Otherwise, go work in the education field. A BA doesn't really = $$.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
dont admit to cocaine

but do admit u did cock....okay?

Strange Love
01-04-2010, 04:52 AM
to beat polygraph tests is to clench your asshole,

To bad my wife likes telling the truth. :depressed

Rogue
01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
What have you actually learned since grade one? whatever the answer is, it tells you the answer you need.

Sancha
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/l/lap_dance-13158.gif