PDA

View Full Version : earl boykins

Cant_Be_Faded
04-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Anyone who watched last nights slightly-biased broadcast on tnt

do any of you remember when they were S-ing Boykins' D and they were like:

-This man, what a player, what a gamer. Did you know he can bench 300 pounds? Hes 5'5 130.

-No i didnt know that

-Yes, three hundred pounds. Actually the most he's ever benched was 315 pounds.

1) Do you people believe this is possible? How dense can a small muscle possibly be? thats like 2.42 times his weight

2) Those TNT announcers suck, don't they? I miss Elliott.

gregpschneid
04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
It's very possible to bench that much at 130lbs, you have to be incredibly strong though. He could probably be a powerlifter.

Cara De Dedão
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM

-This man, what a player, what a gamer. Did you know he can bench 300 pounds? Hes 5'5 130.

-No i didnt know that

1) Do you people believe this is possible? How dense can a small muscle possibly be? thats like 2.42 times his weight

That's funny... We also think TNT is biased. The Chuckster hates our balls with much gusto.

Don't worry about Lil'Earl... He has most of the people involved with this league in his jocks.

I don't like Earl Baggins, and lots of people on "our board" don't like him either. He's a showboat and a BallHoggins... He can bench those 300lbs though, so I've read since the day he was signed... In fact I think I've read a statement of the Nuggets trainer about that.

NugzFan
04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
barkley and kenny smith hate us. i do not want steve kerr and elliot doing the broadcasting...for obvious reasons :)

Kori Ellis
04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't like Earl Baggins, and lots of people on "our board" don't like him either. He's a showboat and a BallHoggins

Interesting that you guys don't like him. I know a lot of Spurs fans who like him.

Cara De Dedão
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Interesting that you guys don't like him. I know a lot of Spurs fans who like him.

Earl by himself can loose just as many games he wins for us. He's out on a mission to prove little people can do it too...

And that's pretty annoying...

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 07:11 PM

Anyone that went to Ice's alma mater is alright by me.

BTW< he did tell Jim Rome that he benched 315lbs. He did only only 1 time, but still that is damn good.

He would not lie about that on national radio, as his teammates would out him if he did, and that would hurt his cred.

GrandeDavid
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
No, Earl cannot bench 330. I'll bet my house on it. Good grief.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM

I will bet you.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Me too, that's fucking bullshit.

Here's my reasoning:

If Boykins were that fucking strong, then he would NOT weigh 130 pounds because he would have gigantic ass muscles, and I don't think he looks like a body builder.
Muscle weighs more than fat, and to be able to bench over 300 pounds at 130 would require either years of lifting that made you bigger than Sylvester Stallone, or steroids...and Boykins doesn't look like either. If you are 5'5" and you can bench 300+, then you do NOT fucking weigh 130 pounds.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I benched 275 in college, and I weighed 155 at the time, Earl is a world class athlete, so he has a lot better chance of doing it than you are I do, so I call BS on your supposition, Alvie.

nuggets in 6
04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Look at TNT from a Nuggets point of view. Every Nuggets game on TNT Charles barley strongly states how bad the nuggets are or that we have no chance to win the game or any other game in the series. He thinks we are a fluke.

nuggets in 6
04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Earl can bench 300 consistently. He is very strong. How would u spurs fan know?

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Earl can bench 300 consistently. He is very strong. How would u spurs fan know?

calm down, I know it is true.

TroyF
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Earl is hit and miss. He's supposed to be the guy who can come in and force tempo, but if you watch a lot of Nuggets games you'll see he slows things down.

He has a ton of possessions where he doesn't make a single pass with the basketball. He just pounds it into the floor for 22 seconds and then fires up a prayer with 4 on the shot clock.

When his shot is on, he's deadly. But when it's off, he's usually a liability. Last night was the anomoly. He didn't shoot well, but still did a lot of things that helped us win.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I benched 275 in college, and I weighed 155 at the time
My ass.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
My ass.

Alvie, you must be around a bunch of wimps.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Alvie, you must be around a bunch of wimps.
No, I just don't believe you could bench 275 if you weighed 155, but I've never seen you.

What I'm saying is, most people lie about themselves over the internet...your words are the best of my knowledge. :spin

BTW I'm not a wimp, I started JV football as a freshman, and I will start varsity as a sophomore. Thanks.

ZStomp
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM

-No i didnt know that

I saw Elliot last night. :)

slayermin
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I believe there is video out there of him actually benching some serious weight. I can't recall if it's actually 315 pounds. Someone must have that footage out there, somewhere.

How can anyone hate a 5'5 man playing in the NBA? Earl is one of my favorite athletes. Guys like him are rare and have a discipline that few possess.

You have to love guys like Mugsy Bogues, Spud Webb, Darrell Green, Frank Minnifield. It takes a lot of heart to succeed when everyone tells you, you are too small.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
How can anyone hate a 5'5 man playing in the NBA? Earl is one of my favorite athletes. Guys like him are rare and have a discipline that few possess.

You have to love guys like Mugsy Bogues, Spud Webb, Darrell Green, Frank Minnifield. It takes a lot of heart to succeed when everyone tells you can't.
I don't, Earl Boykins is the man!!! ...except when his teams beats the Spurs...

Obstructed_View
04-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Biased broadcast? Please. Broadcasters have these little facts about players that they use during the game in order to fill time. Some of you guys are way too thin skinned. No wonder the trolls feed so well here.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 08:24 PM
No, I just don't believe you could bench 275 if you weighed 155, but I've never seen you.

What I'm saying is, most people lie about themselves over the internet...your words are the best of my knowledge. :spin

BTW I'm not a wimp, I started JV football as a freshman, and I will start varsity as a sophomore. Thanks.

Alvie, if you were in the weight room, then you would know that there are a lot of guys that bench over twice their weight. I am talking 1 time now, not 8-10 reps.When I took weight lifting in college, we had to bench at least our own weight to just get a C in class. You had to bench 125% to get a B and 150% to get an A.

I was pre-dental and I needed all the A's I could get, so I busted my ass and I could bench 275 one time, and 225, three times.

Rummpd
04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
A small man who is strong can lift pound for pound more than a tall thin man, plus has to lift the weight a shorter distance. Plus it is one lift. I have trouble believing his wt is really 130 (my guess is about 150, my wife is the same ht. a size 6 and weighs about 115, he has to have 25-35 pounds on her soaking wet.), he looks too solid for that but no doubt that he can press a lot.

I am 47 and even have just done the same weight he claims course that was 10 years ago and after years of lifting but like previous poster we are talking a world class athlete here rather than a wannabee like me. Nowadays, getting 275 up 1x would be cause for celebration and probably land me in the Devin Brown ortho suite.

I am curious who has been the strongest lifting Spur? - Willis is one thought but Spurs have had other strong looking players including Massenburg.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Alvie, if you were in the weight room, then you would know that there are a lot of guys that bench over twice their weight. I am talking 1 time now, not 8-10 reps.When I took weight lifting in college, we had to bench at least our own weight to just get a C in class. You had to bench 125% to get a B and 150% to get an A.

I was pre-dental and I needed all the A's I could get, so I busted my ass and I could bench 275 one time, and 225, three times.
I lift weights every week day bud, monday - friday.

There are a lot of guys that bench over twice their weight, but I haven't met many, I'm in HS. I normally bench 3 sets of 10, 145 lbs. and I weigh 130.

I just haven't met many guys that can bench more than twice their weight because I lift weights with my football team at school, and not many guys have been lifting long enough to be able to.

slayermin
04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Guys with shorter arms can usually lift much more than guys with longer arms.

T-Rex was probably a monster on the bench press.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I lift weights every week day bud, monday - friday.

There are a lot of guys that bench over twice their weight, but I haven't met many, I'm in HS. I normally bench 3 sets of 10, 145 lbs. and I weigh 130.

I just haven't met many guys that can bench more than twice their weight because I lift weights with my football team at school, and not many guys have been lifting long enough to be able to.

Huge difference betw HS and college as far as muscle development. You are still growing in HS and it is not good for your bones to lift heavy weights because your muscles will bend your bones as they grow and you will be crooked. I was 20 when I took weightlifting in college and there were guys that could bench 400lbs, no sweat....I felt like a pussy with my 225lbs.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Huge difference betw HS and college as far as muscle development. You are still growing in HS and it is not good for your bones to lift heavy weights because your muscles will bend your bones as they grow and you will be crooked. I was 20 when I took weightlifting in college and there were guys that could bench 400lbs, no sweat....I felt like a pussy with my 225lbs.
I hope my bones don't bend, oh well...I don't think I will grow too much anyways...I'm as tall as my dad, and I don't have many tall family members, so I don't expect to grow much more.

Rummpd
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
By the way was activated with the Army Rangers once as a doc and they had a 5' 6" guy who would stay in shape by doing 10 pushups with 2 small guys sitting on his back and could knock out 25 one arm either hand with a full pack on back. Then the guy would go do sets of pull ups from tree branches. Guy was insanely in shape.

This guy was built just like Boykins.

boutons
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Look here:

http://www.powerliftingca.com/american_bp_openmen.pdf

... and placing Earl in the 68 Kg open class, the record is 473 pounds, so his reported liff of 330 lbs bench press is 140 lbs less than the record for his weight class.

mookie2001
04-25-2005, 08:36 PM
i can bench 945 lbs
but then again im three times earls size

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Look here:

... and placing Earl in the 68 Kg open class, the record is 473 pounds, so his reported liff of 330 lbs bench press is 140 lbs less than the record for his weight class.
There's a guy from Pittsburg that weighs 375 pounds and he broke his own record on the bench press.

He benched like 975 or so, and I think he might have benched into the 1000's recently.

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Look here:

not 330lbs, 315lbs, as I said I heard him say that Friday on Rome.

sickdsm
04-25-2005, 08:55 PM
For lifting weights every day that's not much. For gym in HS, never lifting weights i did 1 set 155 when i weighed 135. I wasn't a beast either compared to some of those guys in my class. From what they taught us i remember that different people grow different styles of muscle. Some are bulging huge, some are small, etc... even though they still have power. Sometimes it is misleading how a person looks. As far as Boykins though, it must be getting to his head and he's not hitting the weights enough. Last year, midseason telecast, they stated he did 375, during the wolves/nuggs playoff series they said 350.

Hell, next year he probably will be doing his body weight.

Which leads me to believe that some of these claims aren't right, if he did 375 at one time in his career, why wouldn't you keep using that number? Why does it keep getting downgraded?

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
For lifting weights every day that's not much. For gym in HS, never lifting weights i did 1 set 155 when i weighed 135. I wasn't a beast either compared to some of those guys in my class. From what they taught us i remember that different people grow different styles of muscle. Some are bulging huge, some are small, etc... even though they still have power. Sometimes it is misleading how a person looks.
I don't bench everyday dude, I do different muscles each day.
I bench every other day, so it's either 2 or 3 times a week. And I do 30 reps total, and you did 1 set, there's a difference. Also, we do all kinds of chest lifts that wear you out before you even get to benching.

My body is way out of proportion. My pecs are of my weaker muscles, all of my arm muscles are my stronger ones. My biceps, triceps, shoulders, and back muscles are really strong compared to my weight.

I'm just not a big fan of benching, no idea why....

boutons
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
"not 330lbs, 315lbs"

... which totally changes the credibilty of the claim. :)

Jimcs50
04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
"not 330lbs, 315lbs"

... which totally changes the credibilty of the claim. :)

Fuck a A....15 lbs can make all the difference in the world.

SequSpur
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Earl Boykins just needs a nice swift solid pick and he will become useless for the rest of the year.

boutons
04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
As if Earl benching 315 were less notewothy than 330? GMAFB

Nikos
04-25-2005, 10:37 PM
I have a friend who is 150pds and 5'7" and he is 17 years old. He can also bench press 315.

I can also post him up with ease (back him up) and I cannot even bench press 225 pounds these days.

I am taller by a few inches, but he doesn't exactly keep me from moving him back on the post up.

Boykins is tough, but it doesn't mean hes the strongest little man on the court because he can bench more.

gregpschneid
04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Me too, that's fucking bullshit.

Here's my reasoning:

If Boykins were that fucking strong, then he would NOT weigh 130 pounds because he would have gigantic ass muscles, and I don't think he looks like a body builder.
Muscle weighs more than fat, and to be able to bench over 300 pounds at 130 would require either years of lifting that made you bigger than Sylvester Stallone, or steroids...and Boykins doesn't look like either. If you are 5'5" and you can bench 300+, then you do NOT fucking weigh 130 pounds.

muscle size means very little when it comes to strength. Some people depending on there body type can't put much weight on, but are very very strong. Body builders are huge but are worthless when it comes to anything athletic.

boutons
04-26-2005, 12:15 AM
A6, you are really a dumbass. You are not reasoning, but exposing your bias that great strength requires huge muscle bulk. Have you seen how small the 68 Kg class of weightlifters are? The 68 Kg limit means these guys CAN'T bulk up or they would exceed the weight limit, so they are experts at building strength wihtout bulk.

Body builders lift to build bulk, they aren't power lifters, and body builders are pumped full of steroids to get artificial bulk.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-26-2005, 12:16 AM
hence the concept of "strength training"