PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol injured

tlongII
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100103/daily-dime

LOS ANGELES -- The only doubt left by the Lakers in their 131-96 victory over the Mavericks on Sunday is why the Lakers don't do things like this more often. It seems they have to be forced into this type of performance instead of choosing to do it on their own.

There were a number of situations that compelled the Lakers into a night of 63 percent shooting (led by Andrew Bynum's perfect 8-for-8), a 66-point outburst by the maligned bench, and a defensive effort that held the Mavericks to 38 percent. The Mavericks handed the Lakers their first home loss of the season on Oct. 30, the Sacramento Kings had embarrassed the Lakers' defense with a 64-point first half on Friday, Pau Gasol left with a left hamstring injury in the first quarter, and Kobe Bryant felt the need to pay back some team from Dallas "for what the Cowboys did to my Eagles" earlier in the day.

Both sides knew enough not to read too deeply into this one game, which was the second of a back-to-back for the Mavericks. The biggest ramification might be the extent of Gasol's hamstring injury, which will be examined by an ultrasound test on Monday. Gasol injured his other hamstring in the preseason and missed the first 11 games of the regular season. Gasol felt worn down after trips to the NBA Finals in the previous two seasons, and he time spent with the Spanish national team in the summers. He was extra-cautious with the hamstring, to the point of frustration among the Lakers coaching staff. Once he came back, the Lakers went 19-3 in games in which he played, including his cameo appearance in this one, as he combined with Bynum to give matchup problems galore.

Phil Jackson said Gasol had complained of some tightness in the hamstring before the game, and wasn't able to play through it. Gasol came out after playing seven minutes and didn't return.

"Obviously, it's something that we have to take seriously," Jackson said.

In the meantime, Bynum is taking advantage. The one downside of Gasol seemed to be his adverse affect on Bynum's scoring, which dropped from 18 points per game in November to 11.6 points per game during December, when Gasol played the entire month.

On Sunday night, Gasol went down and Bynum stepped up, scoring 19 points and passing out of double-teams to rack up four assists.

"I'm comfortable with or without [Gasol], it's just I'm more needed without him," Bynum said. "My focus goes up a little bit."

Again, you wonder why the focus isn't at its highest level no matter who's on the court, but for the Lakers, at least they know they have this option if Gasol is out for another extended period.

Bryant said Bynum has to understand "there's a pecking order" and has to find a way to still be effective when he is the third option after Bryant and Gasol. Bynum was upgraded on the priority list Sunday, first when Dallas center Erick Dampier couldn't go because of an injury, then when Gasol went out. So Bynum got to go against the likes of Drew Gooden and Shawn Marion.

"I was getting lower position," Bynum said. "Once that happens, I'm close to the rim -- I feel a little more comfortable out there.

L.A. didn't seem to have any answers defensively for the absence of Ron Artest, who has been out since suffering a concussion on Christmas. The Lakers had allowed more than 100 points in each of the first four games Artest missed, and looked particularly helpless in the Sacramento game Friday night, which Bryant bailed them out of with a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

Against Dallas, "I just thought that we reacted a little bit better to the ball," Jackson said. "We [forced] some turnovers, which is always a big key. We got a couple of blocked shots."

Farmar led L.A. with 24 points (tying a career high) and seven Lakers reached double digits. That group included Sasha Vujacic, who scored a season-high 11.

The Lakers should get deeper and the bench more productive, since Artest will return to practice Monday. He said he no longer feels symptoms of his concussion, such as the world spinning around when he looks to his left, and said his head is no longer swollen.

"So that's cool," Artest said.

Luke Walton is about to return to basketball activity after missing a month and a half with a pinched nerve in his back.

So, in theory, the Lakers can get better. They still have to manifest that potential, though, because for the most part this season has consisted mostly of easily handing lesser teams at home, struggling on the road and losing against the toughest competition. This was a convincing victory over the team with the second-best record in the West and one of only three teams (along with Houston and Cleveland) to beat the Lakers in their 22 home games.

At some point, the Lakers had to stop relying on their status as the defending champions and actually accomplish something this season. Yes, you could say they needed a night like this one.

This could really help us out Friday night! :smokin

Allanon
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
With all the Blazer injuries, even if Pau/Artest don't play, the Lakers have no excuses.

Muser
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Why play Gasol if his hamstring is tight? Lakers are running away with the West, one game wouldn't hurt..

djohn2oo8
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
T-long still hasn't learned.....The Basketball Gods may hurt the entire team

Brazil
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
this is an obvious bad news for Pau and the lakers but a good news for my fantasy team, maybe I will see again Bynum Kareem All Star coming up

j.dizzle
01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
"I'm comfortable with or without [Gasol], it's just I'm more needed without him," Bynum said. "My focus goes up a little bit."

That lazy bastard Bynum thinks he doesnt have to play hard when gasol is healthy..Now we all know why he was beasting to start the season.

Andrew Bynum
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Get ready tlong, it's January, my annual blowing out of my knee is coming!

iggypop123
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
mild to moderate sprain for gasol. while its not a tear, he is day to day no shot of playing at houston