PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Despite struggles, Spurs looking OK

Blackjack
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Spurs Notebook: Despite struggles, Spurs looking OK (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Notebook_Despite_struggles_Spurs_looking_OK. html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Adjusting all season to a lineup with six new players, the Spurs have had their share s of stumbles. That includes Sunday's loss in Toronto , their first to a sub-.500 team since the second game of the season, when they fell to a Bulls team that began this week with a 14-17 record.

Still, their recent surge has them positioned better than they might have expected after a halting start.

“We're really fortunate,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “because in the West, nobody has really run away with anything. More than anything, we've wasted a good opportunity to be ahead of everybody.”

The Spurs' recent surge — they have won 11 of 14 games over a stretch of 25 days — has them beginning the week in fourth place in the Western Conference, part of a group of six teams that are separated by just two games, between spots No. 2 and No. 7.

Even their loss to the Raptors came at minimal pain in the standings. Second-place Dallas lost to the Lakers, and the Nuggets fell at home to Philadelphia .

What Popovich sees is a team that continues to lag behind the typical Spurs learning curve, for obvious reasons.

“We're a little behind at the defensive end,” he said. “We've been pretty inconsistent playing defense for 48 minutes. It seems like every game, there is a 32-point quarter. Lately, we've avoided that, but we haven't played the Celtics four or five times in a row.

“The offensive end is just a lot of new people trying to fit in with old people and old people trying to fit with new, so it's taken more time than usual.”

Tim Duncan is eager to see how the Spurs react the next time they face an elite team on the road.

“We're a work in progress,” he said. “We're heading the right direction, but we're not where we want to be, obviously.”

McDyess' adjustment: While veteran Spurs said Popovich's decision to sit Duncan for the first 14 minutes of Sunday's game did not shock them, it caught Antonio McDyess, who replaced Duncan in the starting lineup, a bit off-guard. He scored only two points on 1-for-6 shooting.

“I was very surprised, but you can't be on this team,” McDyess said. “You know how Pop does things. You never know where his mind is at, so you just have to be ready. Evidently, I wasn't.”

Brazil
01-05-2010, 12:16 PM
“I was very surprised, but you can't be on this team,” McDyess said. “You know how Pop does things. You never know where his mind is at, so you just have to be ready. Evidently, I wasn't.”

strange quote.

dbestpro
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Pop did something strange? It must be Tuesday.

“Coach Popovich is kind of a quirky guy,” Jack said. “He might do things just because it's Tuesday.”

raspsa
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
strange quote.

Yeah, with al his experience, I'd expected him to handle the challenge of starting w/o any undue difficuly. I honestly do not understand what the big deal is about being a starter or coming pff the bench. Its the same game, same ball.. you should just play your game.

Spursmania
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Pop did something strange? It must be Tuesday.

“Coach Popovich is kind of a quirky guy,” Jack said. “He might do things just because it's Tuesday.”

So true. That was a classic quote from Jack. Apparently he knows Pop better than Dice does:lol

VBM
01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
“We're really fortunate,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “because in the West, nobody has really run away with anything. More than anything, we've wasted a good opportunity to be ahead of everybody.”

Sad but true...:bang

OldSilentHill
01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Spurs are looking good. Lakers are looking god. We still have a lot of work to do. Can´t wait to face LA :)

temujin
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Spurs have held opponents to less than 100 points in 12 of the last 13 games.

Am I the only one to notice the improvement in the quality of defense since Bonner and Finley play 0 minutes?

ffadicted
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah, with al his experience, I'd expected him to handle the challenge of starting w/o any undue difficuly. I honestly do not understand what the big deal is about being a starter or coming pff the bench. Its the same game, same ball.. you should just play your game.

Trust me, it makes a difference. It's just something mentally, less pressure to perform perhaps, I'm not sure. But it definitly does make a difference.

And I agree mostly with the article, spurs are looking good. They have a 3 game stretch with difficult opponents coming up, that will be our measuring stick.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
pops trying the combo breaker for once.....ended in a Loss :(

Baseline
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Am I the only one to notice the improvement in the quality of defense since Bonner and Finley play 0 minutes?

Exactly. Finley doesn't need to play a single minute for the remainder of his contract. Bonner is a different story - we miss his spacing and threes, but not his defense.

If Finley is reinserted into the rotation, that whacks Mason's rhythm, and we all know how important Mason is to us. Mason has improved in other areas this year, whereas we know what Finley gives us...empty minutes. Bogans' emergence has made Finley expendable.

JR3
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM

I def noticed... we move the ball more and get better shots. Finley can't create and neither can bonner. Neither are great defenders and niether are great passers. I think the worst part of them being on the floor is the fact that blair/mason/Hill are not on the floor.

temujin
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Mason is indeed improved, expecially in ball handling and passing.
Except he should not try the behind the back passes. Leave that to Manu.
I think we should see more of him.
I see no reason to bring back Finley with any significant role.

Bonner could help in certain situations, but his time should also be limited.
And never, ever play them together.

Limit the rotations untill March, so that the current folks get more used to each other.

Improve the defense. Bogans is looking more and more confortable.
Consider that Bowen was older when he started his Spurs career.
I noticed some improvements even from Jefferson.
Parker has finally decided to be a bit more aggressive.

It's all about the defense.
Good old boring defensive-minded killers. That's Spurs basketball.

VBM
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Charlotte
Clippers
Phoenix
Golden St.
Indiana
Clippers
Portland
Milwaukee
New York
Minnesota
Miami
Washington
Toronto

Only four of those teams average 100+ unfortunately. I do agree that the defense is looking better, but, as is the company line around here, look at who they have played.

Let's revisit this the morning of Jan. 14...after we've played Dallas, LA and OKC.