PDA

View Full Version : Tony interview from his website.

nbaman99
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
After Sunday’s loss in Toronto, Tony tells us about the last Spurs games.
Tony, after 5 victories in a row, Toronto stopped you on Sunday…

We tried everything to win this game and continue the series. Unfortunately, Toronto played better. They scored important points while we didn’t knock down shots whenever we got the chance to. Too bad, we’ve never come back.
Gregg Popovich decided to leave Dejuan Blair and Tim Duncan on the bench. Do you understand his decision ?

It didn’t work but maybe it’ll work next time. Anyway, I totally understand his choice. As we played in Washington the day before, coach wanted Tim fresh in the 4th quarter. It’s totally consistent.
Since Matt Bonner’s finger injury, Dejuan Blair is in the starting 5 and the team is doing well…

Dejuan is a very good player. He plays with a lot of energy and feels good in the team. With Matt’s injury, he got his chance and will have the opportunity to continue since Matt’s still out for several weeks. But let me add that we need Matt in the team. He’s an important player.

What are you personal feeling s about the last games?

I can feel I am improving little by little. It was not a good day against Washington (5/17). But as far as defense is concerned as well as team management I’m satisfied. My position improved comparing to last year’s. Yesterday’s game was the perfect example. I went back to the lockers with 15 points (6/7) and I finished the game with 23 points (9/11). Last year, with such a good 1st half, I would have finished with at least 30 points. But it’s not what I’m asked to do today. My part is to make the team play and make danger comes from everywhere. I like this part and I’m being better and better at it.

ducks
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
My part is to make the team play and make danger comes from everywhere. I like this part and I’m being better and better at it.
just keep working hard

Bukefal
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
After Sunday’s loss in Toronto, Tony tells us about the last Spurs games.
Tony, after 5 victories in a row, Toronto stopped you on Sunday…

We tried everything to win this game and continue the series. Unfortunately, Toronto played better. They scored important points while we didn’t knock down shots whenever we got the chance to. Too bad, we’ve never come back.
Gregg Popovich decided to leave Dejuan Blair and Tim Duncan on the bench. Do you understand his decision ?

It didn’t work but maybe it’ll work next time. Anyway, I totally understand his choice. As we played in Washington the day before, coach wanted Tim fresh in the 4th quarter. It’s totally consistent.
Since Matt Bonner’s finger injury, Dejuan Blair is in the starting 5 and the team is doing well…

Dejuan is a very good player. He plays with a lot of energy and feels good in the team. With Matt’s injury, he got his chance and will have the opportunity to continue since Matt’s still out for several weeks. But let me add that we need Matt in the team. He’s an important player.

What are you personal feeling s about the last games?

I can feel I am improving little by little. It was not a good day against Washington (5/17). But as far as defense is concerned as well as team management I’m satisfied. My position improved comparing to last year’s. Yesterday’s game was the perfect example. I went back to the lockers with 15 points (6/7) and I finished the game with 23 points (9/11). Last year, with such a good 1st half, I would have finished with at least 30 points. But it’s not what I’m asked to do today. My part is to make the team play and make danger comes from everywhere. I like this part and I’m being better and better at it.

First he said that his distributing style of play was initiated by himself. Then he said that Pop wanted him to be offensive and attack mode like the old TP, like last year and now he says that's not what he is asked to do?

Spurs Brazil
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM

It didn’t work but maybe it’ll work next time.

I hope there's no next time

Brazil
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
First he said that his distributing style of play was initiated by himself. Then he said that Pop wanted him to be offensive and attack mode like the old TP, like last year and now he says that's not what he is asked to do?

I think he is a little bit confused about what Pop is expecting