PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats On Spurs

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Being a stats guy, I just like to read through the various statistics out there on my team. Some of the ones that jumped out at me......

Individual Scoring:

Tony Parker '08-'09: 22.0 PPG
Tony Parker '09-'10: 16.5 PPG

Manu Ginobili '08-'09: 15.5 PPG
Manu Ginobili '09-'10: 12.8 PPG

Mike Finley '08-'09: 9.7 PPG
Mike Finley '09-'10: 5.2 PPG

Roger Mason '08-'09: 11.8 PPG
Roger Mason '09-'10: 7.7 PPG

George Hill '08-'09: 5.7 PPG
George Hill '09-'10: 9.4 PPG

'08-'09: 64.7 PPG
'09-'10: 51.6 PPG

Richard Jefferson: '09-'10: 13.1 PPG

Also of note:

The Spurs are 15-2 this season when they score 100+ points.

The Spurs are 16-4 when leading after 1 quarter.

The Spurs are 15-3 when leading at the half.

The Spurs are 17-1 when leading after 3 quarters.

The Spurs are only 3-11 when trailing or tied after 3 quarters. < you can turn off the TV early it appears in those games.

The Spurs are 12-1 when they shoot 50% or better from the floor.

Hustle Stats:

The Spurs are 13-5 when they go to the line more than their opponent.

The Spurs are 17-4 when they outrebound or tie their opponent on the glass.

The Spurs are 14-4 when they hold their opponent to 45% or less from the floor (5-0 when opponents shoot < 40%).

The Spurs are 11-3 when they outscore their opponent in the paint.

MaNu4Tres
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Spurs are also 20-0 when they score more points than their opponent.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

What about when they score less?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
90 used to be their magic number offensively. If the Spurs reached 90 pts they usually had a fairly high winning percentage. Now that number is 100. They're only 5-10 when they don't reach triple digits.

lefty
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
When we meets the Suns in the playoffs, we win even though we score less than them

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I find it interesting, too, that the Spurs only have a 2-7 record when they lose the first quarter. 18-5 when winning or tied. The tone is set early it appears.

spursncowboys
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Being a stats guy, I just like to read through the various statistics out there on my team. Some of the ones that jumped out at me......

Individual Scoring:

Tony Parker '08-'09: 22.0 PPG
Tony Parker '09-'10: 16.5 PPG

Manu Ginobili '08-'09: 15.5 PPG
Manu Ginobili '09-'10: 12.8 PPG

Mike Finley '08-'09: 9.7 PPG
Mike Finley '09-'10: 5.2 PPG

Roger Mason '08-'09: 11.8 PPG
Roger Mason '09-'10: 7.7 PPG

George Hill '08-'09: 5.7 PPG
George Hill '09-'10: 9.4 PPG

'08-'09: 64.7 PPG
'09-'10: 51.6 PPG

Also of note:

The Spurs are 15-2 this season when they score 100+ points.

The Spurs are 16-4 when leading after 1 quarter.

The Spurs are 15-3 when leading at the half.

The Spurs are 17-1 when leading after 3 quarters.

The Spurs are only 3-11 when trailing or tied after 3 quarters. < you can turn off the TV early it appears in those games.

The Spurs are 12-1 when they shoot 50% or better from the floor.

Hustle Stats:

The Spurs are 13-5 when they go to the line more than their opponent.

The Spurs are 17-4 when they outrebound or tie their opponent on the glass.

The Spurs are 14-4 when they hold their opponent to 45% or less from the floor (5-0 when opponents shoot < 40%).

The Spurs are 11-3 when they outscore their opponent in the paint. Thanks for all the stats. :toast

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
When we meets the Suns in the playoffs, we win even though we score less than them

I miss Robert Horry.

lefty
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I miss Robert Horry.

Me too :depressed

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I really just wanted to see how the scoring was being re-distributed this season with Jefferson. It's hard to point to the dropoff that Manu and Parker are having as the issue when Jefferson has absorbed that. Not to mention a little stronger post presence with Blair.

I think the Spurs have gone from first to second gear in the last couple of weeks. I'm excited to see if third, fourth or fifth gear are possible for this group.

TIMMYD!
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I know it doesn't have to do with stats but look at Manu's latest facebook update:
http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili/posts/238814341650

SCdac
01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
What does our record look like when Duncan scores less than 20 points? It seems like the more we get from the rest of the team, the better we do. I know Tim's two highest scoring games of 34 points and 28 points both came in losses (no fault of his), it would seem if he's having to score that much with our deep roster then we're in trouble.

Brazil
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I really just wanted to see how the scoring was being re-distributed this season with Jefferson. It's hard to point to the dropoff that Manu and Parker are having as the issue when Jefferson has absorbed that. Not to mention a little stronger post presence with Blair.

I think the Spurs have gone from first to second gear in the last couple of weeks. I'm excited to see if third, fourth or fifth gear are possible for this group.

I hope so too ! thxs for the stats !

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Records after 32 games from our Championship seasons:

1999: 22-10
2003: 19-13
2005: 25-7
2007: 23-9
2010: 20-12

With the exception of 2005, we're within striking distance of the other championship seasons at this point in the year. Not bad considering all the new faces.

spurs10
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you for the stats. Seeing RJ absorb the teams drop in scoring, to the decimal point, is very interesting. As this is probably based on last years entire season, we probably have a good chance at improvement here. Here's to not losing anymore 1st quarters and not trailing after 3 as well.
Again great info...this is why I'm glad to have found this forum. Cool words to the Deutscher poopenstein too.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
IMO, the numbers speak a lot louder than people's random opinions.

They tell me that this team has a lot of possibilities for success. Their inability to comeback from deficits and their losing road record tell me a lot of the losses are due to lack of effort in certain games as much as team chemistry. The chemistry improves, the effort gets a little better, guys get healthier, and this team could still be as good as advertised.

Chieflion
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Um no. I don't think you can just plug in points per game. Parker, Ginobili and Mason's shooting percentages have decreased from last season. However, RJ's shooting percentage has been on the rise since last season. That is how RJ made up for the lost points despite the drop from other player's field goal percentage.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Um no. I don't think you can just plug in points per game. Parker, Ginobili and Mason's shooting percentages have decreased from last season. However, RJ's shooting percentage has been on the rise since last season. That is how RJ made up for the lost points despite the drop from other player's field goal percentage.

Umm, no. Parker's is down 1 percentage point and Mason's is up by over 2 percentage points. Manu is the only one truly down at this point and he's on the rise. The FG% differential is minimal and not all that conclusive. The team as a whole is starting to play better.

And why not plug in points? We could complicate it as much as we want...minutes per game...games played...etc. It's an interesting statistical anomoly is all. You're welcome to analyze it a little more deeply if you'd like.

If we're going to look at FG%, would you rather have a guy on your team shoot six three point attempts and make two, or a guy shoot six two point attempts and make three? Player B is a much better player apparently based on his FG%. Heck, he's an entire 17 percentage points better!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2010, 08:43 PM

My thoughts exactly. I was going to do a whole thread on what I've seen in the last month, but why bother? It's simple - chemistry is building (the passing has been fantastic lately, and the defensive rotations crisper), Manu and TP are slowly finding their games, and the new players are looking more comfortable.

Let's hope we hit 3rd by beating some good teams in january, and learning how to win 4th Qs from behind.

DPG21920
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
In order for this team to have a 3rd or fourth gear, 4 things need to happen:

1) Manu has to keep raising his level of play back to where it once was. This will be a major factor in determining what gear this team can reach.

2) TP has to elevate his play to last years level.

3) Dice has to play like we all think he can in the second half.

4) RJ has to continue to work towards fitting in and being aggressive. His effort needs to improve on the defensive end.

EP Money Man
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I find it interesting, too, that the Spurs only have a 2-7 record when they lose the first quarter. 18-5 when winning or tied. The tone is set early it appears.

Maybe you should tell Pop this. His harebrained idea is to not start Tim on back-to-backs.

Chieflion
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Umm, no. Parker's is down 1 percentage point and Mason's is up by over 2 percentage points. Manu is the only one truly down at this point and he's on the rise. The FG% differential is minimal and not all that conclusive. The team as a whole is starting to play better.

And why not plug in points? We could complicate it as much as we want...minutes per game...games played...etc. It's an interesting statistical anomoly is all. You're welcome to analyze it a little more deeply if you'd like.

If we're going to look at FG%, would you rather have a guy on your team shoot six three point attempts and make two, or a guy shoot six two point attempts and make three? Player B is a much better player apparently based on his FG%. Heck, he's an entire 17 percentage points better!!
No. I am going to look at TS%. Thank you very much, if I want to go really in depth.

ffadicted
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM

This is cute

wildbill2u
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
It's unrealistic to expect all our stars to keep the same average PPG when the minutes are being spread around because the team is deeper (????). There are only so many minutes and so many shots available.

One of the interesting things is that the Spurs--and the league--are moving from a defense oriented team to a much faster paced offensive team. This gives everyone, including the opposition more chances to score.

We will find out if the changes are better for the record and the eventual playoff games as things develop.

JR3
01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
What about when they score less?

Yeah! And what about when they score the same amount of points?

SpurNation
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Holding opponents to less points than the Spurs score is the key to victory.

What are the stats of their defensive effectiveness? More specifically...where are the opponents points coming from the most?

If they can strengthen their weakness in whatever category that may be on defense and keep their offensive effeciency...that would give a lot of hope for making a successful playoff run.

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
they are undefeated when Manu kills a bat

LOL@MavsFan
01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
:lol :toast