PDA

View Full Version : The Canary in the Coal Mine

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Dorgan says he will not seek re-election in 2010 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105/ap_on_go_co/us_dorgan_senate)
His internals must have been something to see...

I wonder how many other Democrats will be re-thinking their Health Care votes.

boutons_deux
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
FL Repugs purged the FL Repug party chairman for supporting moderate Crist.

Extreme radical Repugs' Stalinistic purity purges will guarantee electoral failure.

There simply aren't enough tea partiers (who got robbed by Repug party operatives), pitbull bitch-infatuated dickheads, Fox Political Network watchers to have sufficient electoral weight.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Dorgan says he will not seek re-election in 2010 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105/ap_on_go_co/us_dorgan_senate)
His internals must have been something to see...His internals told him he's 67 years old.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
His internals told him he's 67 years old.
Name a U. S. Senator that's retired due to age.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
There are plenty of reasons to retire aside from polls.

Fred Thompson simply didn't feel like doing it anymore.

Who anywhere says he are retiring because he old?

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
There are plenty of reasons to retire aside from polls.

Fred Thompson simply didn't feel like doing it anymore.

Who anywhere says he are retiring because he old?
You mentioned his age.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
You mentioned his age.Yes, people everywhere retire because they are old.

That's how it works.

Do you dispute that people retire when they are old?

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, people everywhere retire because they are old.

That's how it works.

Do you dispute that people retire when they are old?
I dispute that U. S. Senators retire because they get old.

Dorgan is retiring because he knows his constituency is pissed and he was going to get his ass handed to him at the polls in November.

U. S. Senators "retire" because they die in office, get beat at the polls, or to "spend more time with their families;" a euphemism for "I'm going to get my ass handed to me in the next election."

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I dispute that U. S. Senators retire because they get old.You are saying no senator has ever retired because he got old.

:lol

Dorgan is retiring because he knows his constituency is pissed and he was going to get his ass handed to him at the polls in November.

U. S. Senators "retire" because they die in office, get beat at the polls, or to "spend more time with their families;" a euphemism for "I'm going to get my ass handed to me in the next election."So the Democrats are going to win a Senate seat in Florida in 2010 because Mel Martinez is retiring.

OK. Martinez is the canary in the coal mine.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
You are saying no senator has ever retired because he got old.

:lol
I asked you to name one. I can't think of any.

So the Democrats are going to win a Senate seat in Florida in 2010 because Mel Martinez is retiring.

OK.
I'm more interested in why Dorgan -- a member of the party in power with a tenuous grip on a veto-proof majority -- is retiring. He's sure picking a poor time to abandon the party and leave the majority in the lurch.

I'm also interested in how other "moderate" Democrats in Republican-leaning states will view Dorgan announcement. I think it will cause more than one to re-think their yes votes on Obamacare; particularly if they want to remain in office.

I guess, of course, they could view Obama's legacy as a moral imperative and pass the piece of crap Health Care Bill knowing it is political suicide. But, only time will tell.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I asked you to name one. I can't think of any.There have been plenty.

I'm more interested in why Dorgan -- a member of the party in power with a tenuous grip on a veto-proof majority -- is retiring. He's sure picking a poor time to abandon the party and leave the majority in the lurch.

I'm also interested in how other "moderate" Democrats in Republican-leaning states will view Dorgan announcement. I think it will cause more than one to re-think their yes votes on Obamacare; particularly if they want to remain in office.

I guess, of course, they could view Obama's legacy as a moral imperative and pass the piece of crap Health Care Bill knowing it is political suicide. But, only time will tell.Hey, it was your contention that retiring senators can only be canaries in coal mines that would definitely lose their seat if they ran again.

So Martinez and Voinovich and Bond are canaries in the coalmine signaling Democratic victories in their states.

According to you.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
"Simply put, the time to pass the torch to another generation is near.''

-- US Senator Howell Heflin, announcing his retirement at age 73.

George Gervin's Afro
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
His internals must have been something to see...

I wonder how many other Democrats will be re-thinking their Health Care votes.

maybe he is going to go down in a blaze of glory? he will vote for the bill knowing it will cost him his career. wouldn't that make him a person with courage?

If he was worried about losing his election he could simply change his vote. you make zero sense yoni

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I think he was the one who tried to get some drug re-importation language written into the bill.

Dorgan would be behind the sitting governor if they both chose to run, but ahead of other potential Republican candidates.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
There have been plenty.
Name one since the passage of the 17th Amendment.

Hey, it was your contention that retiring senators can only be canaries in coal mines that would definitely lose their seat if they ran again.
Actually, my "canary in the coal mine" comment was specifically related to Dorgan's "retirement" vis-a-vis the current Health Care debate -- and, generally, the current state of the Democrat Party due to it's almost fanatical pursuit of a widely unpopular piece of legislation.

So Martinez and Voinovich are canaries in the coalmine signaling Democratic victories in their states.
I never said the Democrats would lose the Dorgan seat although, it appears that's a possibility.

Are you suggesting his vote on the Health Care legislation isn't causing him any trouble at home?

Election 2010: North Dakota Senate
2010 North Dakota Senate: Hoeven 58%, Dorgan 36%
(http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/north_dakota/election_2010_north_dakota_senate)

According to you.
No, that's all according to you. I never metioned Martinez or Voinovich.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
maybe he is going to go down in a blaze of glory? he will vote for the bill knowing it will cost him his career. wouldn't that make him a person with courage?
I think it makes him an idiot.

If he was worried about losing his election he could simply change his vote. you make zero sense yoni
Kind of makes you wonder why the Democrats are hiding the contents of the legislation, excluding Republicans, and conducting reconciliation behind closed doors -- if, in fact, Obamacare is worth such "courage."

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Name one since the passage of the 17th Amendment.I just did, idiot.

Actually, my "canary in the coal mine" comment was specifically related to Dorgan's "retirement" vis-a-vis the current Health Care debate -- and, generally, the current state of the Democrat Party due to it's almost fanatical pursuit of a widely unpopular piece of legislation.So the retiring Republicans are canaries in the coal mine for what reason?

No, that's all according to you. I never metioned Martinez or Voinovich.I applied your "logic" to retiring Republicans.

They are canaries in the coal mine according to you.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I think it makes him an idiot.So you think politicians should only vote according to polls?

:lmao

Kind of makes you wonder why the Democrats are hiding the contents of the legislation, excluding Republicans, and conducting reconciliation behind closed doors -- if, in fact, Obamacare is worth such "courage."I don't wonder about that at all. The only thing the Republicans will do is stall, so why include them at this point?

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
"Simply put, the time to pass the torch to another generation is near.''

-- US Senator Howell Heflin, announcing his retirement at age 73.
So, you found one. Not quite "plenty," but, fine. I couldn't think of one.

And, in looking, Heflin was a pretty sick puppy when he retired. Had severe heart problems and wore a pacemaker.

But, fine. I'm not sure his "retirement" had any affect on Democrat power in the Senate like Dorgan's could though.

My favorite Heflin story:

On July 19, 1994, Senator Heflin was dining in the Capitol with some Alabama reporters, and felt like he had to sneeze. The Senator reached into his pocket and pulled out a bit of fabric and began to wipe his nose with a pair of ladies underwear. His office later released the following press release: [This morning] "I mistakenly picked up a pair of my wife's white panties and put them in my pocket while I was rushing out the door to go to work. Rather than take a chance on being embarrassed again, I'm going to start buying colored handkerchiefs."

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
So, you found one. Not quite "plenty," but, fine. I couldn't think of one.

And, in looking, Heflin was a pretty sick puppy when he retired. Had severe heart problems and wore a pacemaker.Because he was OLD.

You are such an idiot.

John Warner also retired due to age.

Pete Domenici too.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
So you think politicians should only vote according to polls?

No, I think Democrats -- in the case of Healthcare legislation -- are clearly ignoring the will of the American Public, cobbling together a piece of shit bill that will do none of the things Obama has promised Health Care Reform would do.

I don't wonder about that at all. The only thing the Republicans will do is stall, so why include them at this point?
I mentioned more than Republicans. What about Obama's promise to hold all negotiations in the open -- with C-SPAN there?

Why was it necessary to bribe the last few Democrats to get to 60?

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
No, I think Democrats -- in the case of Healthcare legislation -- are clearly ignoring the will of the American Public, cobbling together a piece of shit bill that will do none of the things Obama has promised Health Care Reform would do.So they should vote according to polls.

I mentioned more than Republicans. What about Obama's promise to hold all negotiations in the open -- with C-SPAN there?There are no negotiations with the Republicans, so there is nothing to show.

Why was it necessary to bribe the last few Democrats to get to 60?Because that's how politics works on both sides.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Because he was OLD.
Not all old people are infirm.

Warner, Domenici, Voinovich, Martinez...yadda yadda. If we went back and examined the individual cases, I'm willing to bet there was more than age involved in their "retirements."

I say Dorgan retired because he knew he was going to get his butt kicked next November.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Not all old people are infirm.

Warner, Domenici, Voinovich, Martinez...yadda yadda. If we went back and examined the individual cases, I'm willing to bet there was more than age involved in their "retirements."

I say Dorgan retired because he knew he was going to get his butt kicked next November.You said no one ever retired due to age.

You were wrong.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
You said no one ever retired due to age.
No, I said I couldn't think any. But, you're right, I don't think any U. S. Senator (since the ratification of the 17th amendment) has ever retired from their job due to age. I don't care what they say when they "retire."

You were wrong.
That's unknowable. Politicians lie.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
No, I said I couldn't think any.Yes, you certainly can't think any.

That's unknowable.Your being wrong is very quite knowable.

Yonivore
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, you ended this thread on a predictable note.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, you ended this thread on a predictable note.It's not my fault you are wrong so often.

hope4dopes
01-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Name a U. S. Senator that's retired due to age. No shit...had to fucking pry Kennedy's death grip of his seat.

Ignignokt
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
It's not my fault you are wrong so often.

His premise is right for sure.

Google the Washington Post and Chris Dodd.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
His premise is right for sure.That senators never retire due to age?

No.

Dodd has been fucking up for years. He's definitely not retiring due to age.

EmptyMan
01-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Noooooo :depressed

I wanted to see Dodd lose. He'd still retire a gazilionaire from raping the country, but dayuuum.

admiralsnackbar
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Noooooo :depressed

I wanted to see Dodd lose. He'd still retire a gazilionaire from raping the country, but dayuuum.

Why would it matter? His loss is as much a foregone conclusion as is his post-senatorial sinecure doing consulting for AIG.

Ignignokt
01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
That senators never retire due to age?

No.

Dodd has been fucking up for years. He's definitely not retiring due to age.

Where did you read this? Have you been keeping close tabs on Chris Dodd? Are you from his district?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Where did you read this? Have you been keeping close tabs on Chris Dodd? Are you from his district?I watch, read and listen to the news.

George Gervin's Afro
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Where did you read this? Have you been keeping close tabs on Chris Dodd? Are you from his district?

you need to broaden your sources for news ditto head

Ignignokt
01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
I watch, read and listen to the news.

link?

Yonivore
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
If Dorgan was the canary, Dodd is the buzzard.

Things could always change but, right now, November is shaping up to be an interesting election.

Yonivore
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Lincoln’s “Retirement” May Be Involuntary (http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/212441)

"The White House and the Democratic leadership have been telling their colleagues that health care is their political salvation, the only way of heading off the coming tidal wave election. But the voters don’t seem to agree."

ChumpDumper
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM
link?You want a link to every news source I watch, read and listen to?

No, you don't.

Yonivore
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
x_mEzQVWDIc