PDA

View Full Version : Jason Campbell & Clinton Portis Feuding

ducks
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Jason Campbell & Clinton Portis Feuding

Superbowl_tiny by KevinE on Jan 5, 2010 8:27 PM EST in Analysis Comment 56 comments
You won't be seeing this next year.

You won't be seeing this next year.

View full size photo »

Just as I announced the great news of Shanahan signing with Washington, Redskins Insider posts the public war of words going on between #17 and #26.

We all know Portis avoids practice.

We've said Campbell is a warrior, but not necessarily the on-field general that pro-bowlers inhibit.

But Clinton Portis for no reason I can think of (but to save his high-priced job) called Campbell out during a radio interview, which prompted Jason to come out of his reserved shell and absolutely BLAST Portis. Must read....more dirty laundry I'm sure to come out. Portis later said he had no interest in being a leader...OK...so you are here for the paycheck. Awesome. Bye Bye Clinton.

Really dirty move of Portis to blast Campbell, then praise Shanahan in the same interview. Some quotes after the jump.

Star-divide

Portis:

"I wonder the same thing," Portis said. "And no disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room can tell you, you'll never see Jason mad, you'll never see Jason's tempo change, you'll never see Jason get mad.

"He going to get up, dust himself off, he going to give you everything he got. But as a leader, you never heard -- it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or he didn't do this or he didn't do that. That wasn't Jason's character.

"I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.' The only person I think would do it is London Fletcher."

Campbell:

"How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.

Clinton's comments can be taken as stating a simple truth, but when you're sitting on the IR and out clubbing (which I have pictures of), it really is uncalled for. Bruce Allen was spot on:"the status quo is unacceptaable" around here. We've known it for years....good luck Bruce and Shanny!

exstatic
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, while Campbell is the better man, Portis, for one more year, is the better fit. He's already played two years in the system when he was at Denver. MS will draft or bring in his own QB. They'll need to use the draft to build an OL so that QB doesn't get killed.

scott
01-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Cambell will be starting opening day in Oakland next year. Book it.

K-State Spur
01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, while Campbell is the better man, Portis, for one more year, is the better fit. He's already played two years in the system when he was at Denver. MS will draft or bring in his own QB. They'll need to use the draft to build an OL so that QB doesn't get killed.

Portis needs to go. He's been used to the point that his burst is gone. When given the same amount of carries, Betts has outplayed him for a few years now.

Campbell needs to hang around for one more year so that next year's rookie doesn't get killed (unless Shanahan falls in love with Brennan). JC quietly had a decent year despite the OL sucking terribly.

Bigzax
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
from what i understand, if there is no cap, Jason will be a restricted FA, which would mean the skins could keep him if they wish.

they could do alot worse in my opinion than letting him keep his job while a rookie is groomed...if that is the course Shanihan wants to take...

if they go for rebuilding the line, and draft an LT or something, then again, i'd say let Campbell lose his job in camp to the best veteran they can bring in...

from what i've read, Portis act of not practicing and saving it for Sunday while blaming his poor performances on his teammates has grown old in the locker room...he checked out at mid season and has no business talking smack about other players deficiencies, true or not...

he supposedly already called Campbell and apologized, but it's the same ol shit different day with clinton...

he should be cut as far as i'm concerned.

i wish he didn't have history with Shanihan, but hell, Shanny traded him once...and RBs are interchangeable in his systems...so i might get my wish.

he's our TO basically...Portis is a baby i want thrown out with the bathwater...

IronMexican
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Do the Skins have a line fit for he ZBS?