PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Blair says he's ready for anything

Blackjack
01-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Spurs' Blair says he's ready for anything (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Blair_says_hes_ready_for_anything.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

DeJuan Blair has been a Spur for only 32 regular-season games, but he's already learned an important lesson: Be ready for anything from coach Gregg Popovich.

Blair was one of two Spurs frontline starters who opened Sunday's game against the Toronto Raptors on the bench. The other, of course, was team captain Tim Duncan, whose absence at the opening tip made Blair's return to the bench nothing but a footnote.

“It looked a little funny out there with Tim not starting,” he said. “At the same time, he did it for a reason. Tim needed a little bit of a rest, and he got it. He came in and still played well.

“Coach Pop knows what he's doing.

“You've just got to be ready on any given night. Whether you're starting or coming off the bench, you've got to come out there and bring energy. I think I'm the team's energy guy.”

Blair laughed at the suggestion he might be approaching the mythical “rookie wall.”

“Rookie wall?” he said “Uh-uh. I'm just playing. I think the rookie wall is for rookies who have a lot on their plate. I don't really have a lot. I just have to come and play and give a little energy. We've got the rest of the team. I'm just energy, so I don't think I'm hitting any wall.”

Finley update: Though small forward Michael Finley, who has missed the last 13 games with a sprained left ankle, has begun some light shooting drills, he remains a week or two from a return to action, according to a team spokesperson.

Finley suffered a Grade 2 sprain of the left ankle in the Spurs' Dec. 5 loss to the Nuggets, at which time the Spurs said he would be out about four weeks. The 15-year veteran has been with the team on its last two road trips but has yet to participate in any practice activities.

Cold hearted: Tony Parker is the latest Spur to complain about cold symptoms. The All-Star point guard blamed an Arctic cold front that gripped Washington, D.C., and Toronto when the Spurs played there.

“Like everybody. A lot of guys on the team have colds. You go on the East coast, and you're not used to it. I was in a short T-shirt and had to go to Toronto. It was freezing.”

Manu Ginobili, Matt Bonner and Marcus Haislip also have reported annoying cold symptoms.

Spursmania
01-06-2010, 01:04 AM
OK guys, dress for the weather. You're professionals, Bring a coat and some sweaters.:lol

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
wtf bring back finley for

combo breaker

Russ
01-06-2010, 01:46 AM
"I'm just energy, so I don't think I'm hitting any wall.”

I'm just energy? What a way with words.

so I don't think I'm hitting any wall.

This guy is priceless.

He's got star written all over him.

blkroadrunners
01-06-2010, 02:13 AM
OK guys, dress for the weather. You're professionals, Bring a coat and some sweaters.:lol

Seriously.

ElNono
01-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Yeah, but is Blair ready to be on Pop's doghouse?
Call me a skeptic asshole, but I see Bonner eating on Blair's minutes when he comes back...

Chieflion
01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah, but is Blair ready to be on Pop's doghouse?
Call me a skeptic asshole, but I see Bonner eating on Blair's minutes when he comes back...
Blair's minutes might drop a little but it would not be that much as long as Pop stays off the wine and not play small ball for half the game.

Jason R
01-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Are you ready to become the next Tim Duncan?

deL!
01-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Are you ready to become the next Tim Duncan?

I'm sorry but there will NEVER be another Tim Duncan.

lennyalderette
01-06-2010, 03:18 AM

:depressed:nope

jimo2305
01-06-2010, 03:34 AM
how about the next malik rose?

that's a good thing...

Cry Havoc
01-06-2010, 03:39 AM

+1

:depressed:nope

What are you talking about?

EricB
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Be a better Malik rose. In his hard playing prime Malik rose was damn good.

OrEmuN
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Nah ... he will be known as the original DeJuan Blair aka The Beast. Future players who plays like him, will be touted as the next Blair.

silverblackfan
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I think he will be a better Malik Rose also, but with more time in his prime.
I loved watching his interview when they mentioned the rookie wall to him. His response is just awesome. He really does not sweat anything but playing hard.

elbamba
01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I would rather have Dice and Bonner share minutes as they play a similar role in the game. The person I am worried about is Finley. Do we really give him playing time? The Spurs started looking good once he was gone.

Strike
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I would rather have Dice and Bonner share minutes as they play a similar role in the game. The person I am worried about is Finley. Do we really give him playing time? The Spurs started looking good once he was gone.

Maybe WE don't, but something tells me that absence will only make Pop's heart grow fonder for Finley.

Baseline
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Exactly - and it's no coincidence that the Spurs have looked better since Finely got hurt. He brings us nothing but shots. And not a lot of made shots. And zero defense.

Bogans has been starting, which is good for us. It means that RJ gets more shots. Bogans doesn't need shots, but Finley does. Thing is, Finley out there jacking up jumpers is not what the Spurs need. I'd rather have TP, RJ, and Manu slashing than a Finley jumper any day of the week. Finley doesn't put pressure on any defense, whereas the slashing does.

dbestpro
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Cold weather does not cause a cold. It is because people are bunched up indoors which causes them to share their bugs more readily that causes the cold. So, everybody should just stop sharing spit with Manu and they'll be fine.

SenorSpur
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Exactly - and it's no coincidence that the Spurs have looked better since Finely got hurt. He brings us nothing but shots. And not a lot of made shots. And zero defense.

Bogans has been starting, which is good for us. It means that RJ gets more shots. Bogans doesn't need shots, but Finley does. Thing is, Finley out there jacking up jumpers is not what the Spurs need. I'd rather have TP, RJ, and Manu slashing than a Finley jumper any day of the week. Finley doesn't put pressure on any defense, whereas the slashing does.

:tu

Amen. And as I've said on many occasion, Finley is, and has been merely a "one-trick pony". A player who, at this stage of his career, if he's not hitting his jumper, doesn't provide much else. Really don't see how Pop can justify continuing to force feed him minutes once he returns.

dbestpro
01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
:tu

Amen. And as I've said on many occasion, Finley is, and has been merely a "one-trick pony". A player who, at this stage of his career, if he's not hitting his jumper, doesn't provide much else. Really don't see how Pop can justify continuing to force feed him minutes once he returns.

Pop needs Finley to start at power forward.

bobby4germany
01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Pop needs Finley to start at power forward.

Shhhh, This is our surprise attack against the Lakers! :hat

Andy25
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Being Cold however does lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to viruses and infections.