PDA

View Full Version : Dawson named to Hall of Fame

TheProfessor
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Dawson named to Hall of Fame

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4801847)

Andre Dawson was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame Wednesday in his ninth year on the ballot.

In a shock, he was the sole inductee this year, with 77.9 percent of the vote. Bert Blyleven received 74.2 percent of the vote, and Roberto Alomar, whom many had anticipated would be a shoo-in, was third with 73.7 percent.

Edgar Martinez, Barry Larkin and Fred McGriff also were new to the ballot this year, and Martinez was a test of how Hall voters assess players who were predominantly designated hitters.

Holdovers include Mark McGwire, Jack Morris and Lee Smith.

Players must appear on at least 75 percent of the ballots to gain election.

The induction ceremony will be held July 25 in Cooperstown, N.Y.

lefty
01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
A former Montreal Expo

Fuck yeaaaaaaaaah :toast

K-State Spur
01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I think he deserved it. The raw numbers aren't as good as they probably should be to get in.

But the man was the best RF in baseball for a decade - that alone should warrant a player's induction regardless of the numbers compared to other eras.

FromWayDowntown
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I guess Dale Murphy's hopes have jumped a bit.

And Harold Baines'.

And Dave Parker's.

It's also shameful how little respect Tim Raines gets.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2010, 11:40 PM
The Hawk was my favorite player from back in the day. Great arm, great hitter, crazy crazy batting stance.

lefty
01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Dawson is gonna be inducted to the HOF as an Expo :toast

resistanze
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I hope Alomar is inducted as a Blue Jay next year.

K-State Spur
01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
I guess Dale Murphy's hopes have jumped a bit.

And Harold Baines'.

And Dave Parker's.

It's also shameful how little respect Tim Raines gets.

Yes to Murphy and Raines. Absolutely not to Baines and Parker.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I'd actually vote no on Murphy, Baines, and Parker, but I think distinguishing those guys from Dawson is a pretty subjective endeavor.

And I think Raines was a better player than all of them.

K-State Spur
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I disagree. With Murphy and Raines, you're talking about 2 guys who were all world at their peak, but their peaks didn't last as long as a lot of HOF players.

Murphy's peak was better than Raines, but Raines' lesser years were better than Murphy's.

Raines really only had 3 great years ('85-87) as an everyday player - then about 7 more good ones.

Murphy had six STELLAR years, then only a couple other good ones, and the rest were crap.

B-Hath
01-28-2010, 11:32 PM
The Hawk was my favorite player from back in the day. Great arm, great hitter, crazy crazy batting stance.

I loved The Hawk from his Cubs years. I'd watch the games after school on WGN. And when I played baseball in Middle School I tried to imitate his batting stance. Didn't work too well for me. :lol

spurf
02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Very good player.

Dawson was MVP in 1987 on a Cubs team that finished in last place. MVP on a last place team. I'm not sure what that means?

lefty
02-04-2010, 09:44 AM
RIP Expos

:pctoss