01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Front page, breaking news. No link as of this post. www.washingtonpost.com

lefty
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
ROFLMAO

Wiz are better without him anyway

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Arenas is gonna do jailtime. You heard it here first.

flipcritic
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/06/arenas.suspension/index.html

Venti Quattro
Arenas suspended indefinitely

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=was) guard Gilbert Arenas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=974) indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

Multiple media reports over the weekend said that a dispute over a gambling debt led to a conflict between Arenas and Javaris Crittenton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3197).

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say hostilities between the two Wizards guards resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed the three guns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The Washington Post reported in Sunday's editions that Arenas, according to sources, was expecting Crittenton to see the guns on his chair as a joke based on the earlier back-and-forth on the plane, during which Crittenton allegedly said that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee.

But Crittenton, according to Post, reacted angrily and tossed one of the guns to the floor, saying he had his own.

In his statement, Arenas confirmed that the guns were brought out at the Dec. 21 practice.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Arenas met with law enforcement officials on Monday to explain why he had guns at the Verizon Center last month.

Arenas' lawyer issued a statement saying that the player met with federal prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department for more than two hours.

At the NBA's request, the firearms language was bolstered during collective bargaining in 2005. Players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.

SAtown
bout time

Cane
01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I wonder what the Wizards are going to do with some of their players...perhaps some teams can make the most of this situation.

JMarkJohns
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Whatever pay he was set to receive over the period should be donated by the Wizards to a charity serving/protecting the victims of gun violence so the Washington franchise doesn't make out like bandits by not having to pay Arenas his salary. They were very lax in this process, seemingly from its beginnings to its conclusion. They shouldn't be allowed to not pay Arenas, but rather pay that entire amount to a non-violence organization...

Shank
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Delonte West's multiple personalities thinks this is hilarious.

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Not to defend Arenas, but fuck Stern.

Muser
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Good.

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Am I the only person who yawns and says "What is the big fucking deal?"

I'm sure that fat white sportswriters will point to this as proof that the NBA is overrun by thugs, but I think it's hilarious that a couple of soft millionaire athletes like to play at being gangsta.

jack sommerset
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
He deserves to be suspended

Venti Quattro
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Shoot, they should've at least suspended him after today's game with Shaq and Cleveland. LOL

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm sure that fat white sportswriters will point to this as proof that the NBA is overrun by thugs, but I think it's hilarious that a couple of soft millionaire athletes like to play at being gangsta.

you're obviously not familiar with DC gun laws.

jailtime is pretty much mandatory if they can prove Arenas had the guns. If they can prove he threatened someone.... bye bye Gilbert for a few years.

for example, in DC homeboys get locked up 3 years for each bullet found with a gun. FOR EACH BULLET.

anonoftheinternets
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
arenas said his gun wasnt loaded, so is that equal 0 years?

Brazil
Do we know who is going to take Arenas minutes ? Foye ?

Findog

jailtime is pretty much mandatory if they can prove Arenas had the guns. If they can prove he threatened someone.... bye bye Gilbert for a few years.

for example, in DC homeboys get locked up 3 years for each bullet found with a gun. FOR EACH BULLET.

No, I'm well aware of the gun laws. I'm just saying, aside from that, what's the big deal?

jack sommerset
He probably thinks its funny. No biggie to him.

Blake
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM

you don't think guns in a locker room is a big fucking deal?

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
No, I'm well aware of the gun laws. I'm just saying, aside from that, what's the big deal?

so committing felony in the locker room is no longer a big deal? :lol

additionally, what Jack somersett said, he was still joking about it. Stern had enough. NBA was actually pretty leniant on this matter.

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM

The two guys in question are pussies who would never actually discharge their weapons. The guns probably weren't even loaded.

blkroadrunners
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Do we know who is going to take Arenas minutes ? Foye ?

Either him or that midget.

Cane

Maybe Findog is still living with his parents and doesn't have any experience in the real world?

dallasmavsnfuego214

Quit being such a JiggaBoo...You fail to includethe fact that Arenas' handguns were licensed

Findog
so committing felony in the locker room is no longer a big deal? :lol

What Plaxico Burress did is a felony in NY but not in Texas. In this case, no harm, no foul. I understand he'll have to face the consequences of violating DC gun laws, but no harm came out of it.

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Maybe Findog is still living with his parents and doesn't have any experience in the real world?

Yeah, that's it. :toast

kobyz
done for season?

nkdlunch
What Plaxico Burress did is a felony in NY but not in Texas. In this case, no harm, no foul. I understand he'll have to face the consequences of violating DC gun laws, but no harm came out of it.

again it is a felony in DC :rolleyes

dallasmavsnfuego214
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
If you're black you get a few more years

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
The two guys in question are pussies who would never actually discharge their weapons. The guns probably weren't even loaded.

:lmao :lmao

you sound like the cop from the simpsons :lol

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
again it is a felony in DC :rolleyes

And again, while he will have to face the music there, no harm came out of his actually having the guns. Why do I always have to repeat myself with you?

EmptyMan
A gun in a locker room (unloaded, secured, unknown to everyone else) is not a big deal unless the gun owner is a dumb enough mf'er that he would point a gun at someone.

If you are stupid enough to point a gun at someone without being willing to discharge it, i.e., defend yourself, you should be punished for being a dumbass.

I'd rather be attacked with non-firearm weapons than have a gun pointed at me.

TheMACHINE
Fuck me and my fantasy team.

Killakobe81
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
All jokes aside ...this is sad. I thought gil was bit overrated because of his personality and humble beginnings ...but with that said he was an underdog that made it. I was couple years ahead of Gil in HS and our HS are rivals. Some of my buddies used to ball up Gil and could NOT BELIEVE he could score 20 let alone 50 in an NBA game. Arizona was the only PAC10 school that recruited him even U$C thought he was weak sauce ...

As for stern he takes the "image of the NBA seriously" much like goodell. I agree Artest got singled out for an example ...but to be fair to Stern he even severley punished Melo who was marketed as a star ...and Kareem for his punch as well ...

Cane
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's it. :toast

Sounds like it. Arenas bringing multiple firearms as a joke in response to gambling drama in a profession where you aren't allowed to bring them to sanctioned events/areas is inexcusable. On top of that Arenas mishandled the press and media circus by basically making an ass of himself.

Do what Arenas did in just about any profession and you'll find yourself fired and likely behind bars.

dallasmavsnfuego214
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
JiggaBooJiggaBooJiggaBoo

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
And again, while he will have to face the music there, no harm came out of his actually having the guns. Why do I always have to repeat myself with you?

I am the one repeating myself. Stern suspended him for his joking attitude towards the matter. :rolleyes

NBA can suspend any player for misconduct. anytime.

Muser
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it's a big deal for a few reasons, obviously he broke the law, if I went into my job with a gun (loaded or not) i'd be fired on the spot and sent to prison. And then he's a role model to young kids blah blah blah.

Findog
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Arenas bringing multiple firearms as a joke in response to gambling drama in a profession where you aren't allowed to bring them to sanctioned events/areas is inexcusable.

Allegedly.

On top of that Arenas mishandled the press and media circus by basically making an ass of himself.

That's not a crime.

Shank
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Fin-

Guns are bad, mkay?

http://www.dailymyspacegraphics.com/avatars/south-park/Mr-Mackey-mmkay.jpg

BUMP
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
SpewFans, this isn't the Alamo, you can't just pull out guns on anybody.

Just because somebody stole your 5 layer burrito doesn't mean you need to start packing heat

:lmao:lmao:lmao

jonnybravo
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Allegedly.

That's not a crime.

You don't have to commit a crime to get suspended by the league.

Like it or not, the league has been trying to change it's image (whatever that means). Gil was a moron for pushing his luck. Fuck 'em.

I don't find it a coincidence at all that the day after his flippant/joking display about what Stern believes to be a huge matter for the league image, he got suspended.

His handlers/advisers should have known better. Gil, as we all know, is a moron. You apparently sound like one of his advisers.

JMarkJohns
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I've always liked Arenas, but after his continued jokes on the topic, it doesn't matter if the deal was big to begin with or was blown out of proportion, Arenas had to be suspended.

This antic... called for action.
http://i45.tinypic.com/i4g3gk.jpg

Cane
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Allegedly.

No, Arenas already confessed that.

That's not a crime.

No one said it was a crime. But once you actually go into the real world Findog and get a job for an organization like the NBA you've got rules to follow such as not making your company look like complete shit to the media. Oh yea and don't bring fucking guns as props; not even fucking Carrot Top is that stupid.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__42/ept_sports_nba_experts-334263685-1262747953.jpg?ymxUZeCDGfoE8_Rq

The only thing that could possibly make this photo any better — or for Commissioner David Stern, worse — is if the Washington Wizards were decked out in their throwback Bullets jerseys on Tuesday night.

But hey, bang bang, Gilbert! As long as it's not a gavel, right?

UPDATE: After the game, Arenas and his teammates said that they were doing a spin on a touchdown celebration from the movie "Any Given Sunday," in which a player sprayed his 'mates with pretend gunfire.

"They asked me to do it," Arenas told David Steele of NBA FanHouse.

Oh, they asked you to do it? Cool. See that bridge over there?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Gilbert-Arenas-continues-to-take-gun-case-in-str;_ylt=Aj7e86TG1BuWmB2MR5vszSG8vLYF?urn=nba,2120 06

The Gemini Method
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Hibachi!

ffadicted
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Wait, I thought they pulled guns on each other? Why is only Arenas suspended?

lebomb
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
He probably thinks its funny. No biggie to him.

Until he opens the mailbox and doesnt seen any paycheck for the rest this season (at least).

He will go from :lmao ......... :depressed .......... :cry ................ :drunk

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
But once you actually go into the real world Findog

:lol

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
SpewFans, this isn't the Alamo, you can't just pull out guns on anybody.

Just because somebody stole your 5 layer burrito doesn't mean you need to start packing heat

:lmao:lmao:lmao

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

K-State Spur
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Allegedly.

That's not a crime.

There are a lot of things that 'are not a crime' that can lead to sanctions from your employer.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Wait, I thought they pulled guns on each other? Why is only Arenas suspended?

this...answers?

lefty
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Washington Bullets

The Franchise
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Good. I hope his contract is voided next. They need to send a message to people making millions of dollars playing a game, about doing stupid shit to throw it all away.

jack sommerset
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Hopefully those guns are worth alot

Spursmania
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
He was wrong, period. He deserves to get suspended.

Galileo
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
They should change the team name back to the Bullets.

:-)

Brazil
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
A bullet in your fucking head ! RATM

lefty
They should change the team name back to the Bullets.

:-)
Already old

Findog
No, Arenas already confessed that.

He didn't confess to pulling a gun on Crittenden as a result of a gambling dispute. And his confession consisted of bringing the guns to the Verizon Center to give to team security.

No one said it was a crime. But once you actually go into the real world Findog and get a job for an organization like the NBA you've got rules to follow such as not making your company look like complete shit to the media. Oh yea and don't bring fucking guns as props; not even fucking Carrot Top is that stupid.

Thanks for the civic lesson, asshole. Tell me something I don't know. What I'm asking is, why is it a big deal? From a marketing perspective, tell me how many fans the League is going to lose as a result of Arenas' behavior.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
There are a lot of things that 'are not a crime' that can lead to sanctions from your employer.

Duh. My question is, why is it a big deal? Why am I supposed to be outraged about this? Name me one person harmed by Gil's behavior.

collinsullivan
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Arenas was the fuckin rat. We had crittenton in there workin for queenan! smoked is ass out real quick!

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
He didn't confess to pulling a gun on Crittenden as a result of a gambling dispute. And his confession consisted of bringing the guns to the Verizon Center to give to team security.

Thanks for the civic lesson, asshole. Tell me something I don't know. What I'm asking is, why is it a big deal? From a marketing perspective, tell me how many fans the League is going to lose as a result of Arenas' behavior.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/personality_tot2.gif

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
My grandma bought me a lap dance

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Can anybody tell me why I'm supposed to be outraged and upset at Arenas?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Who's the one acting like he still lives with mommy and thinks anyone with a gun is bad. If I was a high profile athlete who lived in one of the worst crime cities in the country, I'd have a gun in my house, car, and with me anytime I was in public.

DUNCANownsKOBE2

Cause guns are bad. They're the devil!

resistanze

You're not alone. I don't give a shit. Sorry.

ZOMG HE BROUGHT GUNZ! HE MADE BABY JESUS CWRY :depressed

resistanze
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Not that I give a shit what happens to Arenas, but all this feigned outrage is getting irritating.

nkdlunch

As soon as you tell us why we're supposed to be outraged at Stern's decision to suspend him.

milkshakeballa
my grandma bought me a lapdance

http://www.katnoodle.com/wp-content/Jesus-dumbass.jpg

get trolled you fukin punk!

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't necessarily buy Arenas story that he brought the guns to the arena for the sole purpose of handing over to team security, but that's all he's copped to. We're supposed to have due process in this country.

As for his "joking" about it and what went down in Philadelphia last night, David Stern can get his panties in a wad and suspend him, since he's well within his rights under the CBA to do so, but why am I supposed to condemn Arenas and support Stern's decision? Can anybody provide a coherent answer to the last question?

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
personally - i feel bad for arenas....that dudes life right now is a fucking wreck

with that said....yo udont bring a fukni gun to the arena....that is stupidity...

Findog
As soon as you tell us why we're supposed to be outraged at Stern's decision to suspend him.

I'm not outraged, I just think Stern is a douche.

jag
Delonte West's multiple personalities thinks this is hilarious.

:lmao

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't necessarily buy Arenas story that he brought the guns to the arena for the sole purpose of handing over to team security, but that's all he's copped to. We're supposed to have due process in this country.

As for his "joking" about it and what went down in Philadelphia last night, David Stern can get his panties in a wad and suspend him, since he's well within his rights under the CBA to do so, but why am I supposed to condemn Arenas and support Stern's decision? Can anybody provide a coherent answer to the last question?

The only one outraged seems to be you.

Again, the NBA can suspend players to protect their image. That is their call. They are the owners. An owner can do whatever the fuck they want with their employees. Welcome to the real world.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I love my grandma!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4231174005_d94beb7daf.jpg

Drachen
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has already made this joke, and there is likely a better one to be made with similar material, but I just thought of this.

Didn't anyone tell Arenas that they haven't been the Washington Bullets in years?

Cane
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Lets take this nice and slow so you can understand.

First, you misspelled Crittenton.

Next, I didn't say he pulled a gun on Crittenton but said: "Arenas bringing multiple firearms as a joke in response to gambling drama in a profession where you aren't allowed to bring them to sanctioned events/areas is inexcusable."

Which is true:

Arenas apologized for bringing several guns to the Wizards locker room after he was interviewed by federal prosecutors. He said that removing the unloaded guns from his locker, in a confrontation with teammate Javaris Crittenton in a dispute involving gambling debts, was "a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_nba_commissioner_david_stern_suspends_washingto n_wizards_star_gilbert_arenas_ind.html#ixzz0bs9lUX VM

Thanks for the civic lesson, asshole.

Any time, numbnuts.

Tell me something I don't know. What I'm asking is, why is it a big deal?
From a marketing perspective, tell me how many fans the League is going to lose as a result of Arenas' behavior.

Its about following basic rules and setting an example. Sports are a family friendly business and what Arenas did was flat out idiotic and stupid especially how he's handled the situation. That kind of asshattery just doesn't land in the professional world.

And whats the big deal about bringing in multiple firearms in a response to gambling drama and then acting like an asshat about it? Thats basically a dumbass slap to the face to the hands that are feeding him from fans to executives.

Go to the real world and get a job and you'll understand the importance of those qualities in a professional context.

Findog

Again, the NBA can suspend players to protect their image. That is their call. They are the owners. An owner can do whatever the fuck they want with their employees. Welcome to the real world.

Hey dumbass, I didn't ask by what legal mechanism Stern suspended Arenas. I want to know why I should support that decision. Can you wrap your tiny little head around that question?

How is it protecting their image? Which hardcore fans will give up on the NBA as a result of this incident with Arenas? What casual fans will completely turn away from the NBA since they're probably not following this story closely?

nkdlunch
damn. that's some spoonfeedin right there.

If Findog still doesn't get it, he's on his own.

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Hey dumbass, I didn't ask by what legal mechanism Stern suspended Arenas. I want to know why I should support that decision. Can you wrap your tiny little head around that question?

How is it protecting their image? Which hardcore fans will give up on the NBA as a result of this incident with Arenas? What casual fans will completely turn away from the NBA since they're probably not following this story closely?

LMAO

you don't have to support the decision. As we don't have to support yours. Cry all you want. maybe you can email stern.

jag
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

I fail to see how he's "outraged."

I think there's too much of a big deal being made out of all of this. But you're right in saying that Stern can do whatever he wants. The NBA is a business...and you have (and should have) the right to do whatever you feel is necessary to improve and protect your brand.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Lets take this nice and slow so you can understand.

I understand just fine what he copped to and what he didn't cop to. And I understand just fine what gives Stern the legal authority to do what he did. What I want to know is why I should be outraged at Arenas and support Stern's decision.

Its about following basic rules and setting an example. Sports are a family friendly business and what Arenas did was flat out idiotic and stupid especially how he's handled the situation. That kind of asshattery just doesn't land in the professional world.

"Blah Blah Blah Athletes are role models who we look up to and have an obligation to set an example Blah Blah Blah"

And you're the one pulling this asshat patronizing routine about living in the real world? What sort of fucking Disneyland World do you think you're living in? I DO.NOT.CARE

And whats the big deal about bringing in multiple firearms in a response to gambling drama and then acting like an asshat about it?

What is the big deal? How has your life changed as a result of this incident? How has your enjoyment on the league lessened as a result of this incident?

Thats basically a dumbass slap to the face to the hands that are feeding him from fans to executives.

Then why am I not offended?

Go to the real world and get a job and you'll understand the importance of those qualities in a professional context.

That's cute. You know nothing about me and think you can lecture about naivety and how to accrue wisdom, and yet you're doing an amateur Skip Bayless imitation in this thread. Who fucking cares?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Arenas shouldn't be suspended for making a joke. Arenas has every god given right to make jokes about his life, he's not harming anyone else. Last I checked, Crittenton is still warming the bench like his good ol' self, Arenas hasn't shot anybody, and no one should be offended by the jokes Arenas is making about himself. NBA players don't sign up to be role models, they sign up to be basketball players. If a kid finds his parent's gun and plays with it because he heard Arenas has a gun, it's not Gilbert's fault, it's the kid's parents fault.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
damn. that's some spoonfeedin right there.

If Findog still doesn't get it, he's on his own.

Yeah, spoon fulls of bullshit. Cane is just too busy knocking down a strawman to provide a coherent answer to my question, which is "Why am I supposed to care about Arenas conduct? How does this hurt the League from a marketing standpoint? Why are we supposed to applaud Stern's decision?"

Illiterate Spur fan interprets that as "How is Stern able to suspend him?"

I know what the CBA is.

in2deep
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Arenas shouldn't be suspended for making a joke. Arenas has every god given right to make jokes about his life, he's not harming anyone else. Last I checked, Crittenton is still warming the bench like his good ol' self, Arenas hasn't shot anybody, and no one should be offended by the jokes Arenas is making about himself. NBA players don't sign up to be role models, they sign up to be basketball players. If a kid finds his parent's gun and plays with it because he heard Arenas has a gun, it's not Gilbert's fault, it's the kid's parents fault.

I don't think the NBA is suspending Arenas for harming anybody. They are suspending Arenas for making himself look like a dumbass by not shutting up and istead clowning about a federal investigation.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
An owner can do whatever the fuck they want with their employees.

Not really.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think the NBA is suspending Arenas for harming anybody. They are suspending Arenas for making himself look like a dumbass by not shutting up and istead clowning about a federal investigation.

Which is their right, but I think it makes Stern look like the thin-skinned Warden from Shawshank Redemption.

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
"Why am I supposed to care about Arenas conduct?

You are not supposed to care. The NBA cares. Because they are a business and don't want to lose $ when media/politicians start critizicing it.

How does this hurt the League from a marketing standpoint? Why are we supposed to applaud Stern's decision?".

It's all about $. 99.999% of NBA decisions are based on money.

Again you are not supposed to applaud it. NBA is protecting themselves. plain and simple.

Cane
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I understand just fine what he copped to and what he didn't cop to. And I understand just fine what gives Stern the legal authority to do what he did. What I want to know is why I should be outraged at Arenas and support Stern's decision.

Because what Arenas did was inexcusable and historically stupid.

"Blah Blah Blah Athletes are role models who we look up to and have an obligation to set an example Blah Blah Blah"

Yup. Part of the deal when you sign a contract.

And you're the one pulling this asshat patronizing routine about living in the real world?

Yea its obvious you and basically anyone else who doesn't agree with Stern doesn't have professional experience.

What sort of fucking Disneyland World do you think you're living in? I DO.NOT.CARE

Its not about you.

What is the big deal? How has your life changed as a result of this incident? How has your enjoyment on the league lessened as a result of this incident?

This incident strengthened my opinion of Stern and the league.

Then why am I not offended?

Because you have no real professional experience and/or have no problem with people bringing guns to their workplaces as amusement and then acting like an asshat about it all.

That's cute. You know nothing about me and think you can lecture about naivety and how to accrue wisdom, and yet you're doing an amateur Skip Bayless imitation in this thread. Who fucking cares?

You do apparently. As does the NBA, the media, fans, etc.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
You are not supposed to care. The NBA cares. Because they are a business and don't want to lose $ when media/politicians start critizicing it.

Were there corporate sponsors threatening to end business relationships because Arenas was still playing while due process was taking its course?

MiamiHeat
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
So...

you're a rich multimillionaire and the best place you can afford to hide your guns is at your place of employment?

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM

the character of the guys in question is an irrelevant issue.

if you allow one guy to bring out guns then you have to allow everyone, even the non-pussies that might actually discharge their weapons.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Did you read my post? That's what I said I disagreed with. People shouldn't get suspended for making fun of themselves. It's their god given right.

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Quit being such a JiggaBoo...You fail to includethe fact that Arenas' handguns were licensed

are you sure that's a fact?

Findog
Because what Arenas did was inexcusable and historically stupid.

Probably, but I want to know why that necessitates his suspension.

Yup. Part of the deal when you sign a contract.

No, it's not. The NBA retains the right to suspend players for whatever reason it deems fit. Nebulous "be a role model for the children" ephemera is your psychological projection.

Yea its obvious you and basically anyone else who doesn't agree with Stern doesn't have professional experience.

I work in a corporate environment and have plenty of experience with how and why corporations do what they do. You are the idiot if you think Arenas playing in the NBA for millions is analogous to some corporate worker drone sitting in a cube.

Because you have no real professional experience

And what do you base that on, Kreskin? Where did you develop this amazing ability to discern the lifestyles and backgrounds of people you encounter over the internet?

and/or have no problem with people bringing guns to their workplaces as amusement and then acting like an asshat about it all.

Who said I don't have a problem with that? If you think an NBA locker room equates to a corporate IT department, mechanic's shop or GAP store at the mail, I think you're the one who can't separate the real world from fantasy.

Stern can do what he wants. What I want to know is why this was necessary while an investigation took place and was pending. Because it seems to me that the suspension is not about "protecting the league" since no sponsors were clamoring for Arena's suspension, but Stern feeling like Arenas was mocking him personally with his antics in Philly last night. Stern is a thin-skinned prick and he proved it today.

Cane
Illiterate Spur fan interprets that as "How is Stern able to suspend him?"

I know what the CBA is.

No, numbnuts, its not just about how Stern is able to suspend him. But "why".

Yeah, spoon fulls of bullshit. Cane is just too busy knocking down a strawman to provide a coherent answer to my question, which is "Why am I supposed to care about Arenas conduct? How does this hurt the League from a marketing standpoint? Why are we supposed to applaud Stern's decision?"

And "why" Stern is suspending him should be plainly obvious - for being an idiot and breaking serious laws and rules in the process all the while making himself look like an asshat. Being a well paid star of the NBA he thus hurts the image of the NBA. Look at what Tiger Wood's sponsors did after his drama and that shit was legal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
It's all about $. 99.999% of NBA decisions are based on money.

Can you prove some sort of evidence saying that letting Arenas continue to play was losing money?

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Look at what Tiger Wood's sponsors did after his drama and that shit was legal.

Tiger's sponsors are cowards. It's one thing to quietly pull ads while the news-worthiness of that story runs to its conclusion, but to drop him altogether before his eventual professional rehabilitation is shortsighted.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Because you have no real professional experience

Do you know this?

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM

If Arenas committed a crime inside an NBA arena, how do you figure Stern is being a douche?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Being a well paid star of the NBA he thus hurts the image of the NBA. Look at what Tiger Wood's sponsors did after his drama and that shit was legal.

Not one single PGA sponsor threatened to stop though. Those were all personal sponsors. The PGA would never suspend Tiger Woods because it knows how much money that man brings in.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Why are you outraged and upset at Stern over this issue?

I'm not. I just want to know how anybody can make the case that this was a rational decision motivated by long-term concerns over the marketing viability of the league and not a fit of pique directed at Arenas because he was behaving insensitively to what most deem a serious issue?

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I like the "I couldn't do that at my job" lines of arguments. I'm pretty sure at your job, you labor under at will employment and can be escorted out of the building for looking at your boss cross-eyed. Arenas has a guaranteed contract that will be highly difficult to void without a huge legal fight. In addition, there are all sorts of things that go on in NBA locker rooms and on chartered flights that would never fly in a white-collar working environment.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
This is some good old fashioned arguing.

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm not. I just want to know how anybody can make the case that this was a rational decision motivated by long-term concerns over the marketing viability of the league and not a fit of pique directed at Arenas because he was behaving insensitively to what most deem a serious issue?

Arenas committed a crime in an NBA arena. I don't see how a commissioner of any league would or should tolerate such behavior.

I wonder what your view on unloaded weapons at school are.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM

DOK

They don't sign up to be role models? No...but they are PAID to be. Just because they don't want to doesn't mean shit...they ARE. I don't want to be at my job at 6 am 5 days a week...but that's what I get paid to do. Its in ym job description...and a role model is in any NBA players. Thats why they getting paid millions brah

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
i like the "i couldn't do that at my job" lines of arguments. I'm pretty sure at your job, you labor under at will employment and can be escorted out of the building for looking at your boss cross-eyed. Arenas has a guaranteed contract that will be highly difficult to void without a huge legal fight. In addition, there are all sorts of things that go on in nba locker rooms and on chartered flights that would never fly in a white-collar working environment.

bring a gun to work! Fuck you thickheaded fuckign mavs fan

DPG21920
The real question is did Washington try and swindle the Rockets by offering Arenas in a trade knowing he was going to face legal issues?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
There are also plenty of jobs where having a gun would be allowed. I don't think a cab driver in New York would be suspended if his employer found out he kept a gun in his cab.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Or a police officer.

Supergirl
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Whoa

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Its in ym job description...and a role model is in any NBA players

Is it? Does it say something about being a role model in their contract?

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
In addition, there are all sorts of things that go on in NBA locker rooms and on chartered flights that would never fly in a white-collar working environment.

like what?

jag
01-06-2010, 05:50 PM

"The possession of firearms by an NBA player in an NBA arena is a matter of the utmost concern to us."

The NBA is all about sponsors and TV deals. Not many companies want to jump on board with a brand that condones players bringing guns into a locker room and are careless enough to use them how Arenas did.

The NBA has been trying to separate itself from a "street" culture. The out-of-uniform dress code, the length of uniform shorts...this pretty much falls in line with that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:50 PM
like what?

gambling apparently.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
No worse than the NFL commish.

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
There are also plenty of jobs where having a gun would be allowed. I don't think a cab driver in New York would be suspended if his employer found out he kept a gun in his cab.

Why does an NBA player need a gun in a locker room?

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Arenas committed a crime in an NBA arena. I don't see how a commissioner of any league would or should tolerate such behavior.

Allegedly. Why couldn't Stern wait until the investigation was complete before taking disciplinary measures? Kobe was allegedly anally raped a Colorado coed and faced no punitive measures while that legal case played itself out. What commissioner of any league would tolerate such alleged behavior?

Arenas' story is that he brought the guns to the arena to give to team security and get them out of the house. I don't really buy that story, but it is still possible that no charges would be filed. Stern couldn't wait for it because he is a thin-skinned prick who thought he was being taunted by Arenas.

Findog
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
bring a gun to work! Fuck you thickheaded fuckign mavs fan

Thickheaded? That paragraph went completely over your head, ya know it? Did you even read it? Are you still mad that I'm using a picture of you about to lick butthole while your granny watches as my sig?

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
gambling apparently.

it's pretty clear gambling doesn't fly with Stern.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM

DOK - What the fuck does this have to do with it?

Arena isn't a NYC Cab driver. He is a NBA player.

jag
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
DOK

They don't sign up to be role models? No...but they are PAID to be.

NBA players aren't paid to be role models. I hate when people say that. They are paid to play basketball. They are paid by the their respective teams to fucking win. David Robinson wasn't paid to be a great guy and a great role model...he did it because he wanted to. He did it because that's just the kind of guy he is. If wally szczerbiak doesn't want to give some kid a high five and tell him to go to college, then he doesn't have to. That's not part of his contract.

Cane
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Probably, but I want to know why that necessitates his suspension.

Because it violated rules, laws, and he acted like an asshat about it. Whats hard to understand?

No, it's not. The NBA retains the right to suspend players for whatever reason it deems fight, not for nebulous "be a role model for the children" ephemera.

What the hell do you think "NBA Cares" is for then? All the required community service hours, etc? Its there to boost the image of the NBA and its players; this league has been fighting its thug image for years.

And no, the NBA cannot suspend a player for "any reason".

I work in a corporate environment and have plenty of experience with how and why corporations do what they do. You are the idiot if you think Arenas playing in the NBA for millions is analogous to some corporate worker drone sitting in a cube.

Doesn't seem like you have any experience at all especially after that shit you wrote. The NBA is a huge and professional corporation that treats its players as such. Talk shit publicly about your company like Dwight Howard does in his blogs or criticize about the refs openly and you're going to suffer consequences. You're right that its not completely identical (you get a gold star for that one) since a Microsoft employee would likely just get fired instantly for bringing guns to the workplace as a joke.

And what do you base that on, Kreskin? Where did you develop this amazing ability to discern the lifestyles and backgrounds of people you encounter over the internet?

From what you write and trying to rationalize or justify how Stern's actions are not "right".

Who said I don't have a problem with that? If you think an NBA locker room equates to a corporate IT department, mechanic's shop or GAP store at the mail, I think you're the one who can't separate the real world from fantasy.

Nope thats gotta be the guy with thousands of posts under his name. Do what Arenas did in any other sport of profession including ones with firearms and he'd be shit out of luck.

Stern can do what he wants. What I want to know is why this was necessary while an investigation took place and was pending. Because it seems to me that the suspension is not about "protecting the league" since no sponsors were clamoring for Arena's suspension, but Stern feeling like Arenas was mocking him personally with his antics in Philly last night. Stern is a thin-skinned prick and he proved it today.

Its about setting the example for historically stupid and inexcusable acts that Arenas has made for himself and the league. There's more than just sponsors when it comes to "protecting the league". By allowing well paid members of an organization to openly criticize and be an asshat about very serious situations lessens the strength of the brand and organization.

You seem to either not like Stern or not like punishing asshats for breaking rules and laws.

Blake
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Allegedly. Why couldn't Stern wait until the investigation was complete before taking disciplinary measures? Kobe was allegedly anally raped a Colorado coed and faced no punitive measures while that legal case played itself out. What commissioner of any league would tolerate such alleged behavior?

Arenas' story is that he brought the guns to the arena to give to team security and get them out of the house. I don't really buy that story, but it is still possible that no charges would be filed. Stern couldn't wait for it because he is a thin-skinned prick who thought he was being taunted by Arenas.

Why did Arenas have to give the guns to team security? Why couldn't they come to his house?

The fact is he had guns in an NBA locker room. There were no facts that Kobe raped a girl.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Why does an NBA player need a gun in a locker room?

For all we know, Gilbert keeps the gun in his locker because it's a place he knows his kids don't have access to.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
NBA players aren't paid to be role models. I hate when people say that. They are paid to play basketball. They are paid by the their respective teams to fucking win. David Robinson wasn't paid to be a great guy and a great role model...he did it because he wanted to. He did it because that's just the kind of guy he is. If wally szczerbiak doesn't want to give some kid a high five and tell him to go to college, then he doesn't have to. That's not part of his contract.

That is not entirely true. The NBA makes teams to the "NBA Cares" stuff, correct? Their contracts require more than just playing the games and practicing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
it's pretty clear gambling doesn't fly with Stern.

I wouldn't say that considering his new rule with refs are they can bet on games they're not involved with.

DPG21920
For all we know, Gilbert keeps the gun in his locker because it's a place he knows his kids don't have access to.

Has he ever heard of a lock box or a safe?

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Can you prove some sort of evidence saying that letting Arenas continue to play was losing money?

can you prove with some sort of evidence that letting Arenas continue to play was NOT losing the NBA money?

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Were there corporate sponsors threatening to end business relationships because Arenas was still playing while due process was taking its course?

Is that the only way the NBA could lose money? NO

Cane
Allegedly.

Nope. Arenas already confessed he brought multiple firearms as a joke in response to the gambling drama.

Why couldn't Stern wait until the investigation was complete before taking disciplinary measures? .

Because he was acting like an asshat about it to the media and worsening the situation. The NBA can't let one of its players act like that in serious situations like these.

milkshakeballa

Bullshit....these athletes are in the public eye and representing the NBA...the organziation they play for. They are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars.

Why in the fuck are they forced to do community events and shit then if they aren't paid to be role models?

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM

I know you don't even believe that DOK

Findog
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Is that the only way the NBA could lose money? NO

What are the other ways the NBA could lose money because of the Arenas situation? Would season-ticket packages not be renewed because of Arenas' conduct as opposed to the Wizards being fucking terrible?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Why couldn't they come to his house?

We have no idea. He could have little kids and he doesn't want to risk them finding the guns, he could have a wife who for whatever reason has been experiencing suicidal thoughts and wants him to get the guns out of the house until she is treated, god knows Arenas is loony enough that he himself could be contemplating suicide and wanted to give the gun to someone while he got treatment. There are reasons.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
can you prove with some sort of evidence that letting Arenas continue to play was NOT losing the NBA money?

Can you prove that the NBA letting Tim Duncan continue to play is NOT losing the NBA money?

Findog
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Because he was acting like an asshat about it to the media and worsening the situation. The NBA can't let one of its players act like that in serious situations like these.

Who was really paying attention to Arenas other than people who follow him on Twitter or hardcore NBA junkies that have Truehoop bookmarked? How was it making things worse? Arenas is rightly seen as a clown. Stern could've just publicly called him out and left him at that.

I see the whole thing as a tempest in a teapot, and Stern's actions just made the story a whole lot bigger and just drew way more attention than if people had simply ignored Arenas' twitter stream.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
It has nothing to do with $$$$ hoyl fuck what are you guys arguing about?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I know you don't even believe that DOK

In this country there's a burden to prove beyond reasonable doubt, based on what I know, there's plenty of reasonable doubt. Do I think that's what happened? No. Do I think there's at least a 5% chance Gilbert is completely innocent here? Yes, which in this country is reasonable doubt.

jag
That is not entirely true. The NBA makes teams to the "NBA Cares" stuff, correct? Their contracts require more than just playing the games and practicing.

Players volunteer for community service and charity. I've never heard of a player having a clause in his contract that required mandatory charity work. Many of these guys want to help kids and want to help their communities. But Dennis Rodman wasn't being paid to inspire kids...he was paid to be a nasty rebounder and defender.

Findog
Nope. Arenas already confessed he brought multiple firearms as a joke in response to the gambling drama.

It's up to the DC authorities to determine if a crime was committed. Until then, suspending Arenas is simply public relations. Suspending him ironically makes this a bigger story and draws more attention to it.

BlackSwordsMan
anyone post of the pic of areneas doing a gun salute before the game?

BlackSwordsMan
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
nvm they did

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM

This is probably the dumbest post in this thread btw. I'm awed at the stupidity. I wasn't aware that you had to prove someone innocent in order for them to be not guilty, or in this case, you have to prove someone is not losing the NBA money in order for them to be allowed to play.

jag
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Bullshit....these athletes are in the public eye and representing the NBA...the organziation they play for. They are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars.

Why in the fuck are they forced to do community events and shit then if they aren't paid to be role models?

Sure they represent the NBA and their respective teams...and if the NBA doesn't like how a certain player is conducting himself then they have the right to reprimand said player. That doesnt mean that player are contractually obligated to read books to kids.

XFactor
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Whether suspending Arenas was fair or not, Gilbert Arenas had this coming to him from the beginning, and I'm not talking about the the whole gun pointing situation but his statement to the media. It was clear from yesterday's remarks that he had "ASSHAT" tagged all over him. He basically gave David Stern and the entire Wizard's organization a black eye by making the situation seem like it was no big deal. Ya we all know he's a crazy goofball that likes to joke a lot but most of America don't know that. In their eyes, they see him as a spoiled, hopeless punk with no sense of reality and no clue of what's really going on.

Here are some of his twitter comments on the whole thing.

"i wake up this morning and seen i was the new JOHN WAYNE..lmao media is too funny"

"i am sticking with what i know . . . thats jokes sweetie"

"so pls dont take what i say serious or i will piss off from time 2 time becuz i dont hav a filter on my jokes"

"PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND THINK: YOU'RE ALIVE AND STILL AROUND . . . so join me in enjoying everyday and smile for the negative people."

"its easy to hide from ur problem but a real person dont break character when thing arent going his or her way. becuz thats [all] u have at the end of the day"

Cane
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Who was really paying attention to Arenas other than people who follow him on Twitter or hardcore NBA junkies that have Truehoop bookmarked? How was it making things worse? Arenas is rightly seen as a clown. Stern could've just publicly called him out and left him at that.

The entire sports media have had their eyes set on this story. Unfortunately Arenas hasn't limited his asshattery to just the internet since he acts like an asshat about it whenever he could as seen in that picture a couple of pages back where he's shooting his teammates with his hands on the court.

I see the whole thing as a tempest in a teapot, and Stern's actions just made the story a whole lot bigger and just drew way more attention than if people had simply ignored Arenas' twitter stream.

Stern's actions are exactly what the sports media and fans have expected and respected. I don't understand why you want to give a free pass to a guy that acted like an asshat about bringing multiple firearms as a joke in response to gambling drama that broke rules/laws and could set a dangerous precedent if unpunished. Then you factor in the amount of effort NBA players and the league have fought against their dumb thug image and Arena's actions are even more shitty. By not acting upon it would draw even more attention and deserved criticism.

Even the crazy Delonte West knew better than to act like Agent Zero and he didn't even bring those weapons to a NBA facility.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Sure they represent the NBA and their respective teams...and if the NBA doesn't like how a certain player is conducting himself then they have the right to reprimand said player. That doesnt mean that player are contractually obligated to read books to kids.

I don't know about reading books to kids, although certain players have that kind of obligations on their contracts - there are bonus for promotional/charity appearances.

But to say they're only paid to play basketball is short-sighted. NBA contracts are much more complex than that and by signing one you agree to a set of behavioural rules that go well beyond the basketball court.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Players volunteer for community service and charity. I've never heard of a player having a clause in his contract that required mandatory charity work. Many of these guys want to help kids and want to help their communities. But Dennis Rodman wasn't being paid to inspire kids...he was paid to be a nasty rebounder and defender.

Oh, I know that, but I am fairly certain players have things in their contract requiring them to do appearances and things for the NBA to promote the game and its image. Charity being one of them. Might not be specifically stated, but I would be hard pressed to not find that in there.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
The real question is did Washington try and swindle the Rockets by offering Arenas in a trade knowing he was going to face legal issues?

I want answers.

milkshakeballa

:lmao:lmao:lmao u srs brah?

jag
This is probably the dumbest post in this thread btw. I'm awed at the stupidity. I wasn't aware that you had to prove someone innocent in order for them to be not guilty, or in this case, you have to prove someone is not losing the NBA money in order for them to be allowed to play.

Your employer doesn't have to wait for you to be found legally guilty of anything. And in the same way, your employer doesn't have to wait to see if you negatively impact their finances in order to reprimand you. They can act preemptively in the better interest of their company and the image their company portrays.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know about reading books to kids, although certain players have that kind of obligations on their contracts - there are bonus for promotional/charity appearances. .

Right cause obligations and bonuses are the same thing.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Right cause obligations and bonuses are the same thing.

There are both.

XFactor
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM

http://content.etilize.com/Large/11969963.jpg

jag
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao u srs brah?

If you really wanted to shit on my argument you should have used at least three more laughing smiley faces.

Show me a copy of a contract that provides stipulations concerning charity work.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
There are both.

Show me proof of a specific contract with obligations.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
http://content.etilize.com/Large/11969963.jpg

For all we know he planned to go out and buy a safe with the locker room being a short term solution.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
For all we know he planned to go out and buy a safe with the locker room being a short term solution.

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Clearly he did not think that and why all of the sudden was he worried about the kids? Why not buy a safe the same day as the gun? Or did kids just magically pop up after he bought the guns?

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
And who here has access to their nba friends contract? The hard copy, no photo scan bull sh*t.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

No, I'm following the American due process method of innocent until proven guilty.

jag
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know about reading books to kids, although certain players have that kind of obligations on their contracts - there are bonus for promotional/charity appearances.

But to say they're only paid to play basketball is short-sighted. NBA contracts are much more complex than that and by signing one you agree to a set of behavioural rules that go well beyond the basketball court.

I've honestly searched and never heard of required hours of charity being involved in a contract.

I agree that they are required to conduct themselves in a certain manner...but company standards aren't in place to make players care about their fans. And the standards aren't their to positively impact kids...the standards are their to positively impact the NBA brand and the teams.

You aren't signing up to be a role model, you're signing up to play basketball and win.

angelbelow
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Fuck me and my fantasy team.

you said it...

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
No, I'm following the American due process method of innocent until proven guilty.

So you have never called someone a liar or accused them without giving them a trial?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Clearly he did not think that and why all of the sudden was he worried about the kids? Why not buy a safe the same day as the gun? Or did kids just magically pop up after he bought the guns?

He coulda had family in town and didn't feel the need to buy a safe for a week. Look, the chances of all of these hypotheticals are slim to none, the point I'm trying to make is having a gun in your locker could just as easily be an act intended to preserve your family's safety as it could be an act with bad intentions.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Show me proof of a specific contract with obligations.

Specific contracts aren't public. But when a player signs a contract he obliges himself to comply with promotional and commercial activities for the team/league as well as conduct himself within the standards of good citizenship and good moral character.

Once again, the "they're only paid to play" mantra is completely uninformed. Those who defend it are absolutely and totally wrong (once again).

AnthonyM
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
angelbelow or TheMachine,

Are either of yall going to look at picking up Foye as a replacement for Arenas?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
So you have never called someone a liar or accused them without giving them a trial?

Yes, and I've also wrongly accused someone of something countless times. I know I've never made a decision about someone based on mere assumption when the decision would cost that person money.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Specific contracts aren't public.

Then how the hell are you so sure there are certain obligations in these contracts?

XFactor
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Section 4. Mandatory Programs.
(a) NBA players shall be required to attend and participate in educational and life skills programs designated as “mandatory programs” by the NBA and the Players Association. Such “mandatory programs,” which shall be jointly administered by the NBA and the Players Association, shall include a Rookie Transition Program (for rookies only), Team Awareness Meetings (which shall cover, among other things, substance abuse awareness, HIV awareness, and gambling awareness), and such other programs as the NBA and the Players Association shall jointly designate as mandatory.

(b) When a player, without proper and reasonable excuse, fails or refuses to attend a “mandatory program,” he shall be fined $20,000 by the NBA; provided, however, that if the player misses the Rookie Transition Program, he shall be suspended for five (5) games.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Then how the hell are you so sure there are certain obligations in these contracts?

Because some obligations, like those I quoted, are in every contract.

Cane
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Arenas already confessed this much:

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia, but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids. I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the DC gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District.
Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there’s no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns — even if unloaded."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/NBA-Suspends-Gilbert-Arenas-Indefinitely-80824477.html

Its up to the grand jury to see if he's going to get criminal charges. The only alleged part is him pointing the guns against his teammate which is just icing on the cake at this point with how he handled the situation.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Section 4. Mandatory Programs.
(a) NBA players shall be required to attend and participate in educational and life skills programs designated as “mandatory programs” by the NBA and the Players Association. Such “mandatory programs,” which shall be jointly administered by the NBA and the Players Association, shall include a Rookie Transition Program (for rookies only), Team Awareness Meetings (which shall cover, among other things, substance abuse awareness, HIV awareness, and gambling awareness), and such other programs as the NBA and the Players Association shall jointly designate as mandatory.

(b) When a player, without proper and reasonable excuse, fails or refuses to attend a “mandatory program,” he shall be fined $20,000 by the NBA; provided, however, that if the player misses the Rookie Transition Program, he shall be suspended for five (5) games.

Where in there does it say anything about charity events?

Cane

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/nba/images/nba_cares_140x187.jpg

?

mogrovejo
5.CONDUCT.
(a) The Player agrees to observe and comply with all Team rules, as maintained or promulgated in accordance with the CBA, at all times whether on or off the playing floor.

(b) The Player agrees: (i) to give his best services, as well as his loyalty, to the Team, and to play basketball only for the Team and its assignees; (ii) to be neatly and fully attired in public; (iii) to conduct himself on and off the court according to the highest standards of honesty, citizenship, and sportsmanship; and (iv) not to do anything that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of the Team or the League.

(d) In addition to the foregoing, and subject to the conditions and limitations set forth in Article II, Section 8 of the CBA, the Player agrees to participate, upon request, in all other reasonable promotional activities of the Team, the NBA, and any League-related entity. For each such promotional appearance made on behalf of a commercial sponsor of the Team, the Team agrees to pay the Player $2,500 or, if the Team agrees, such higher amount that is consistent with the Team’s past practice and not otherwise unreasonable.

16.TERMINATION.
(a) The Team may terminate this Contract upon written notice to the Player if the Player shall:
(i) at any time, fail, refuse, or neglect to conform his personal conduct to standards of good citizenship, good moral character (defined here to mean not engaging in acts of moral turpitude, whether or not such acts would constitute a crime), and good sportsmanship, to keep himself in first class physical condition, or to obey the Team’s training rules;

XFactor
Section 9. Firearms.
(a) Whenever a player is physically present at a facility or venue owned, operated, or being used by a Team, the NBA, or any League-related entity, and whenever a player is traveling on any NBA-related business, whether on behalf of the player’s Team, the NBA, or any League-related entity, such player shall not possess a firearm of any kind. For purposes of the foregoing, “a facility or venue” includes, but is not limited to: an arena; a practice facility; a Team or League office or facility; an All-Star or NBA Playoff venue; and the site of a promotional or charitable appearance.

(b) Any violation of Section 9(a) above shall be considered conduct prejudicial to the NBA under Article 35(d) of the NBA Constitution and By-Laws, and shall therefore subject the player to discipline by the NBA in accordance with such Article.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-VI.php#section4

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
hen moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids

Right DPG, I was arguing for the sake of arguing.

Agloco
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM

GMAFB. Yeah there are always explanations, but this is really quite silly.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Still waiting for anything about required charity events. Going to a seminar that lectures about not getting AIDS isn't a charity/community event.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
GMAFB. Yeah there are always explanations, but this is really quite silly.

Yeah I'm sure that's why Arenas said it himself. How silly of me to make that assumption.

PM5K
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm sure its been said but if his teammates went along with this little finger shooting gun skit they should be suspended as well for a few games.

Talk about poor taste.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Right DPG, I was arguing for the sake of arguing.

LOL, like no one in the history of earth has made up bull shit to get out of trouble.

Once again, I ask you this:

1) Why not buy a safe the same day you get a gun?

2) Why all of the sudden were the kids a concern? Was there not kids when he purchased the guns? Or did they just pop up out of no where?

3) Why not ask permission to store the guns knowing full well there could be an issue? Wouldn't most people err on the side of caution?

jag
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Specific contracts aren't public. But when a player signs a contract he obliges himself to comply with promotional and commercial activities for the team/league as well as conduct himself within the standards of good citizenship and good moral character.

Once again, the "they're only paid to play" mantra is completely uninformed. Those who defend it are absolutely and totally wrong (once again).

The players are required to do promotional work...I understand that. I also understand that they must conduct themselves in a certain way both on and off the court. This is all done for the betterment of the League name. This isn't done so that players can inspire kids. If the NBA was really in the business of cultivating role models then half of the current players would be out of a job.

Saying that these guys must be role models is ridiculous. The ultimate goal is to get these guys to play good basketball and do it without acting like clowns. They don't have to care about what some kid thinks of their lifestyle.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Exactly. There is a difference in having contractual obligations to do events that represent the NBA such as charity, and actually being a role model. We all do stuff we don't buy into and these guys are no different.

But trying to play semantics and ask for a poster on ST to post a NBA contract with the legal language pertaining to charity is ludicrous.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
LOL, like no one in the history of earth has made up bull shit to get out of trouble.

That doesn't change the fact I was doing a lot more than arguing for the hell of it.

Think about it, what other possible reason could he have for bringing an unloaded weapon to the Wizards locker room? If he wanted to do anything malicious with it, it would have been loaded.

J.T.
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Dramatization of the Arenas incident:

PHGyRnFZriY

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
The players are required to do promotional work...I understand that. I also understand that they must conduct themselves in a certain way both on and off the court. This is all done for the betterment of the League name. This isn't done so that players can inspire kids. If the NBA was really in the business of cultivating role models then half of the current players would be out of a job.

Saying that these guys must be role models is ridiculous. The ultimate goal is to get these guys to play good basketball and do it without acting like clowns. They don't have to care about what some kid thinks of their lifestyle.

That's beyond the point and you're trying to use a strawman. They have other contractual obligations besides playing basketball. That's all.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM

2) Why all of the sudden were the kids a concern? Was there not kids when he purchased the guns? Or did they just pop up out of no where?

3) Why not ask permission to store the guns knowing full well there could be an issue? Wouldn't most people err on the side of caution?

Once again i ask you, why does the burden of proof lie on Arenas to show he is innocent?

Since you seem to be sure Gilbert's story is made up bullshit, what exactly happened?

XFactor
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
That doesn't change the fact I was doing a lot more than arguing for the hell of it.

Think about it, what other possible reason could he have for bringing an unloaded weapon to the Wizards locker room? If he wanted to do anything malicious with it, it would have been loaded.

To joke with his teammates.

PM5K
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Loaded/unloaded is semantics.

For all we know he had some bullets in his pocket.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
To joke with his teammates.

:lmao so you're saying him bringing his gun into the locker room to "joke with his teammates" is a more likely scenario than bringing his gun into the locker room to get it away from his kids.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Once again i ask you, why does the burden of proof lie on Arenas to show he is innocent?

Since you seem to be sure Gilbert's story is made up bullshit, what exactly happened?

Are you implying that I as a normal citizen cannot reasonably conclude that his story is b.s.?

Quit acting like you have to do a full scale investigation to figure out if someone is lying.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
For all we know he had some bullets in his pocket.

So based on an assumption you have no evidence to support, Gilbert should be punished?

Agloco
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Yeah I'm sure that's why Arenas said it himself. How silly of me to make that assumption.

Quite......considering that he never mentioned anything about it being a short term solution. I refuse to believe Arenas' IQ is that low. What he actually said though, smells of a comment designed to introduce a more benign context into the mix (ie that he did it with the safety of his children in mind)

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Because he is the one who brought the guns to the locker room when the NBA explicitly prohibits it. There is nothing else to prove. We know he brought guns, everything else will just add to the punishment.

Like I said, you keep acting like because I, DPG, think Gilbert is making shit up, that I think it should not be investigated. I am saying that his story sounds like shit and WILL LIKELY BE PICKED APART DURING THE INVESTIGATION.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Are you implying that I as a normal citizen cannot reasonably conclude that his story is b.s.?

Sure you can (but I'm curious what that conclusion is based off).

My question is why can Gilbert get in so much trouble when there's no evidence to contradict his story.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I am saying that his story sounds like shit and WILL LIKELY BE PICKED APART DURING THE INVESTIGATION.

Until it is picked apart he's done nothing wrong.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Section 9. Firearms.
(a) Whenever a player is physically present at a facility or venue owned, operated, or being used by a Team, the NBA, or any League-related entity, and whenever a player is traveling on any NBA-related business, whether on behalf of the player’s Team, the NBA, or any League-related entity, such player shall not possess a firearm of any kind. For purposes of the foregoing, “a facility or venue” includes, but is not limited to: an arena; a practice facility; a Team or League office or facility; an All-Star or NBA Playoff venue; and the site of a promotional or charitable appearance.

(b) Any violation of Section 9(a) above shall be considered conduct prejudicial to the NBA under Article 35(d) of the NBA Constitution and By-Laws, and shall therefore subject the player to discipline by the NBA in accordance with such Article.

Sure you can (but I'm curious what that conclusion is based off).

My question is why can Gilbert get in so much trouble when there's no evidence to contradict his story.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
How can you tell if a friend or someone is lying to you DOK?

PGDynasty24
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
man my fantasy team is officially screwed

XFactor
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
:lmao so you're saying him bringing his gun into the locker room to "joke with his teammates" is a more likely scenario than bringing his gun into the locker room to get it away from his kids.

Obviously it would be Gilbert Arenas best interest to use the KIDS excuse rather than the joking excuse :lol But do we know for sure that was the case No, Do we know if Gilbert Arenas is lying or not? No My opinion obviously does not matter but I think Gilbert brought the gun in as a joke and not to hide it from his kids.

The way Gilbert is reacting to this whole situation by joking about it makes seem more likely that his intentions were to joke with the Crittendon and not for the benefit of his kids. As mentioned it it was for the best of his kids he would have thought about that before purchasing the gun.

Agloco
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Section 9. Firearms.

/thread

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Just for the hell of it.

1) Because he bought the gun as something to keep by his bed side not thinking about his kids reaching them, it's a stupid mistake to make but it's possible.

2) One of his kids managed to find the gun, and Gilbert didn't really think the whole thing through, he went with the first idea that popped into his head.

3) From how he has acted and what he said, I don't think he knew full well there could be an issue.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Also, LMFAO that in the gun part of the rules for the NBA it mentions charity events :lmao

PM5K
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0105/life_g_arenas01_576.jpg

ginobili's bald spot
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Dramatization of the Arenas incident:

PHGyRnFZriY

:lmao Perfect.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
5.CONDUCT.
(a) The Player agrees to observe and comply with all Team rules, as maintained or promulgated in accordance with the CBA, at all times whether on or off the playing floor.

(b) The Player agrees: (i) to give his best services, as well as his loyalty, to the Team, and to play basketball only for the Team and its assignees; (ii) to be neatly and fully attired in public; (iii) to conduct himself on and off the court according to the highest standards of honesty, citizenship, and sportsmanship; and (iv) not to do anything that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of the Team or the League.

(d) In addition to the foregoing, and subject to the conditions and limitations set forth in Article II, Section 8 of the CBA, the Player agrees to participate, upon request, in all other reasonable promotional activities of the Team, the NBA, and any League-related entity. For each such promotional appearance made on behalf of a commercial sponsor of the Team, the Team agrees to pay the Player $2,500 or, if the Team agrees, such higher amount that is consistent with the Team’s past practice and not otherwise unreasonable.

16.TERMINATION.
(a) The Team may terminate this Contract upon written notice to the Player if the Player shall:
(i) at any time, fail, refuse, or neglect to conform his personal conduct to standards of good citizenship, good moral character (defined here to mean not engaging in acts of moral turpitude, whether or not such acts would constitute a crime), and good sportsmanship, to keep himself in first class physical condition, or to obey the Team’s training rules;

Good shit mogove.. This is the first time I've ever liekd you on this forum!

:toast

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Just for the hell of it.

1) Because he bought the gun as something to keep by his bed side not thinking about his kids reaching them, it's a stupid mistake to make but it's possible.

2) One of his kids managed to find the gun, and Gilbert didn't really think the whole thing through, he went with the first idea that popped into his head.

3) From how he has acted and what he said, I don't think he knew full well there could be an issue.

1) If that is true, why then would it be a concern all of the sudden?

2) So it is his fault and he thought that bringing it to the arena was better than getting a safe?

3) Who in their right mind honestly can say they don't know if bringing a gun to an arena is an issue?

Cane
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Arenas already confessed he used those weapons as a joke in addition to the reason of taking them away from his home. The only alleged part is him pointing it against a teammate.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM

He brought guns to the arena. That's wrong. He violated his pledge. He even apologized for it.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Arenas already confessed he used those weapons as a joke in addition to the reason of taking them away from his home.

Exactly :lol That is why I don't get why DOK is using one portion of what Gilbert said (the kids, ohhhhh the kids) to help his argument and then ignoring the contradiction that Arenas himself said (I brought them as a joke)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
1) If that is true, why then would it be a concern all of the sudden?

2) So it is his fault and he thought that bringing it to the arena was better than getting a safe?

3) Who in their right mind honestly can say they don't know if bringing a gun to an arena is an issue?

1) The thought if his kids getting to the guns didn't even cross his mind until one of them did, then it suddenly became an issue. Already said this.

2) He went with the first idea that popped into his head and didn't really think it through. Again, already said this.

3) The same person who can be federally investigated for bringing the gun to the arena and do nothing other than joke about it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia, but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids. I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the DC gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District.
Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there’s no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns — even if unloaded."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sport...-80824477.html (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/NBA-Suspends-Gilbert-Arenas-Indefinitely-80824477.html)

I don't see him say be brought the guns as a joke. Maybe there's another interview everyone is talking about, but I interpret that quote as him referencing the jokes he made about the situation.

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Good shit mogove.. This is the first time I've ever liekd you on this forum!

:toast

Who are you?

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
If I was a cop and you gave me those answers, I would shred you Hannibal Lector style.

"So, Mr. Arenas, you say you brought the guns to keep them away from the kids?"

"Yes sir."

"Well then why did you first say you brought them to play a joke on a teammate?"

"Ummm. Think about the kids, the kiddds"

"You mean the kids that have been there from the beginning, even before you bought the guns?"

"Yes sir."

"I want the truth"

"I don't know what that is :cry"

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah so I didn't see this part:

Arenas has denied that, calling the incident a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.

That is someone who should be suspended.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
If I was a cop and you gave me those answers, I would shred you Hannibal Lector style.

"So, Mr. Arenas, you say you brought the guns to keep them away from the kids?"

"Yes sir."

"Well then why did you first say you brought them to play a joke on a teammate?"

"Ummm. Think about the kids, the kiddds"

"You mean the kids that have been there from the beginning, even before you bought the guns?"

"Yes sir."

"I want the truth"

"I don't know what that is :cry"

Um, I don't understand why you left out the explanations I gave and put that shit together, but alright.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
:lol

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nba/2010698729_nba05.html?prmid=related_stories_sectio n
WASHINGTON — Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas says he took unloaded guns from his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.

Arenas released a written statement Monday after meeting with law enforcement officials. And Arenas' lawyer says the player voluntarily met with prosecutors and detectives and answered every question during a two-hour interview.

In his statement, Arenas repeated his earlier assertion that he brought four guns to the Verizon Center to store in his locker in order to get them out of his house and away from his children. He said he mistakenly believed that recent changes in D.C. law made it legal for him to store guns there.

Arenas said he took the unloaded guns out of his locker on Dec. 21 "in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate." He denied threatening anyone. The New York Post has reported that Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other.

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong," Arenas said. "I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns — even if unloaded."

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't get why you can argue about something and not know the facts. Your explanations where shit based on what Arenas had already said.

redzero
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM

But that's really irrelevant. What kind of workplace let's somebody have guns out in the open like that? None.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Or a bounty hunter.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Or a bank guard.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Or an airline pilot.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Or a sheriff.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
So DPG, regardless of the fact this whole argument was for nothing, you don't think this is a reasonable explanation:

In 2007, Gilbert Arenas sees Sean Taylor is killed by home invaders. He panics, acts on impulse without really thinking about the responsibilities of owning guns and what precautionary measures to take, and goes out and get 4 guns to keep by his bed and around the house in the event of a home invasion. 2 years later, one of his kids is big enough to get to where he has one of the guns. He sees one of his kids gets to a gun, never having thought about that possibility before, so like he had done in the past, he panics and acts on impulse as someone with zero education about being a gun owner (or a gun owner in the NBA), bringing all 4 guns to the arena without having thought about NBA rules against that or alternatively just buying a safe. As someone who has no idea about the seriousness involving guns, he thinks this is some stupid thing he can joke about and the worst that will happen is a slap on the wrist.

IMO, this situation makes perfect sense, it's someone who repeatedly acts impulsively and never thinks about the consequences of his actions.

Agloco
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Arenas:

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there’s no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns — even if unloaded."

I don't see him say be brought the guns as a joke. Maybe there's another interview everyone is talking about, but I interpret that quote as him referencing the jokes he made about the situation.

Seriously?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't get why you can argue about something and not know the facts.

Like you weren't doing the same thing.

DaDakota
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, good, he got what he deserved.

DD

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Seriously?

That quote could easily mean that this suspension made him realize that this situation is nothing to joke about. Regardless, the other quote I posted would have helped your argument a lot more.

Cane
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM

He wasn't.

milkshakeballa
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
IMO, this situation makes perfect sense, it's someone who repeatedly acts impulsively and never thinks about the consequences of his actions.

Someone like that should NEVER have a gun and if he does should be punished immediately.

Chieflion
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Dirst o all, everyone knows that he brought guuns to this workplace, check.Didn't help he was an established NBA star. His image is now portrayed as a punk and a thug. We all know the NBA does not like thugs. To save the image of the league and to protect the league from the political side of things, Stern suspended Arenas not only to save the league some face, but also to set an example for all his other athletes not to let this happen again.

Agloco
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Arenas:

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there’s no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns — even if unloaded."

That quote could easily mean that this suspension made him realize that this situation is nothing to joke about. Regardless, the other quote I posted would have helped your argument a lot more.

Ok.......

mogrovejo
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
That said, I disagree with the suspension. Arenas was starting to play better, I had lots of fun last night watching him. The guy is healthy and in form so rarely and now one won't be able to see him playing even when he's in one of those moments? Fine the man, let him play.

And, let's be honest here: Stern didn't suspend him for the weapons episode, he suspended him for his antics last night (which I found funny, but I'm a fan of humor noir) and his unwillingness to shut up.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Uhhhhhhh no. Because I actually knew that he said he did it as a joke and you didn't which is why I was baffled as to why you bought the kids argument.

Agloco
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
That said, I disagree with the suspension. Arenas was starting to play better, I had lots of fun last night watching him. The guy is healthy and in form so rarely and now one won't be able to see him playing even when he's in one of those moments? Fine the man, let him play.

And, let's be honest here: Stern didn't suspend him for the weapons episode, he suspended him for his antics last night (which I found funny, but I'm a fan of humor noir) and his unwillingness to shut up.

:tu

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Someone like that should NEVER have a gun and if he does should be punished immediately.

He should be educated a lot more than be punished, punishment makes sense because he did commit a crime and endanger his kids, but being dumb and being a criminal are two different things. What he did had no negative impact on anyone's life, and he had no idea what he was doing was illegal at the time. Sticking him in a prison full of evil people who have done things to harm people and have knowingly done illegal things does nothing to solve the problem, it could easily make it worse.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Uhhhhhhh no. Because I actually new that he said he did it as a joke and you didn't which is why I was baffled as to why you bought the kids argument.

I'm not questioning this when I ask the following question I'm just curious, why did you wait so long to bring up that quote when it would have completely killed my argument?

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
How can you say he had no idea what he was doing was wrong? Is he a child?

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I had no idea you did not know that he did not say that, I thought you were ignoring it. Hence the "you are arguing for the sake of arguing" comment.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
How can you say he had no idea what he was doing was wrong? Is he a child?

He's sure as hell acting like one. Bringing 4 guns into a locker room and jokingly aiming one at your teammate really isn't behavior you expect from an adult.

If he knew what he was doing was wrong, he wouldn't have acted so nonchalant about it and jokingly made gun hands during a pregame warm up. It's pretty obvious he had no idea what he was doing was wrong, if he knew what he was doing was wrong, he wouldn't have willingly volunteered the fact he aimed a gun at his teammate as a joke as if that's no big deal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I had no idea you did not know that he did not say that, I thought you were ignoring it. Hence the "you are arguing for the sake of arguing" comment.

Well then sorry. If I knew he said that all along, it certainly would have been arguing for the sake of arguing.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I agree he is acting like a child but the answer probably lies in the middle. He knows what he did is wrong because he is an adult, but he acts like a child because he is immature.

XFactor
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Looks like Gilbert is heading over to Europe.

Armando
01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
This really sucks. I know what he did was wrong but the NBA and thier fans are the ultimate losers. Say what you want about him but what makes him great is he is not your typical pre-package player. This is nothing to celebrate. Hopefully he can resolve his issues and get back on the court soon.

z0sa
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
:tu Stern with the great call.

Blake
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
We have no idea. He could have little kids and he doesn't want to risk them finding the guns, he could have a wife who for whatever reason has been experiencing suicidal thoughts and wants him to get the guns out of the house until she is treated, god knows Arenas is loony enough that he himself could be contemplating suicide and wanted to give the gun to someone while he got treatment. There are reasons.

great, he wanted the guns out of the house. Bringing the guns to the arena was obviously not a good solution.

Blake
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Who was really paying attention to Arenas other than people who follow him on Twitter or hardcore NBA junkies that have Truehoop bookmarked?

apparently local AND federal agents