PDA

View Full Version : OK, NOW I'm pissed off!

Cyrano
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I got two phone calls this morning from the hospital where my wife is a patient.
The first one was from the business office asking for more information about our health insurance, since our insurer had not provided current account information.
Usually, this isn't a problem, I'm getting used to Cigna being behind in their paperwork, and usually a quick phone call fixes the problem. About an hour later, Jan calls me to tell me that her physical therapist came by to tell her that she would be receiving no further treatments, since "your insurance is lapsed".

Funny, the last time I checked, my premiums were paid through January. I called Cigna, only to be told that their "system is down". I then called the COBRA administrator, who informs me that the last payment I sent a week ago actually has my premiums covered THROUGH MAY 2010.

First, why in the world would an insurance company send erroneous account information to a health care provider ON A REGULAR BASIS? This has happened at least once a month since August of last year. Frustrating, yes. Irritating, yes. My guess is that it pays in the long run to deny coverage systematically, assuming that a percentage of patients will pay the claim themselves rather than fight the bureaucracy. I guess they haven't figured out that this approach simply won't work with me.

Secondly, why in the world would a health care professional not only NOT provide required medical procedures, but basically tell a seriously ill patient that they're a deadbeat? Especially when that simply isn't true!

I have talked to the hospital administrator and their business office, and made
my displeasure known in a non-obscene, non-threatening, but unmistakable way. I insisted that the administrator go to my wife's room RIGHT NOW and apologize to Jan. I'm not at the hospital yet, because I want to let my temper cool off a bit before I go there.

So, what the heck should I do about this? Given that I can't be at Jan's bedside 24/7, I don't want to make her a target for any "retaliation" for rocking the boat, but on the other hand, I will NOT accept anything less than
respectful conduct towards my wife.

PM5K
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
You have to talk with the physical therapist and at least let him know what's going on, that way he could contact you directly and you can sort it out before he speaks with your wife.

How upset was she? She has to understand that the premiums are being paid and it's simply a mistake.

thispego
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
nothing you can do, thats the nature of health insurance. i assume you are on a company plan, if there was any way to switch to a smaller, more personal provider, i would do that.

thispego
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
it doesn't work that way pm5k

Cyrano
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
How upset? Let's just say VERY. They have her on meds that kinda make her act a little odd from time to time - at least she's stopped hallucinating visits from people who've been dead for years. To be fair, she's easily upset; all the more reason NOT to confront her the way they did. I'm sure the administrator will have a talk with the therapist... he was in Jan's room apologizing within one minute of my call, and she's feeling better now.

CosmicCowboy
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
http://www.soseriados.net/images/GhostWhisperer.jpg

So whats wrong with talking to dead people?

PM5K
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
wtf?

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Better than being pissed on.

thispego
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Real funny

Heath Ledger
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Dude c4 the hospital. Problem solved.

DPG21920
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Real funny

I hope you understand that my comment was in reference to the "Now I am pissed off" title, not the content.

I. Hustle
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
It's better to be pissed off than pissed on!