PDA

View Full Version : Old Sony Facility

MannyIsGod
04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I've heard a rumor that the NSA (National Security Agency) has purchased the old Sony facility out by 151. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

grjr
04-25-2005, 11:41 PM
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

SequSpur
04-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Yes, it was the headline last week in the Express News. 2500+ jobs, more buildings, etc. etc... 410 and Military in the mornings and after work is SCREWED Permanently after they move in.

They are talking that this facility might be as big or bigger than USAA after it is fully operational.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Interesting, I wonder how the fuck I missed that. I wouldn't mind looking into a job with them.

SequSpur
04-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Some of the builders in this area have already increased their houses 10-15K in the last month due to the continued expansion in Westover Hills. We were looking at this one house across from Chase and it jumped almost 17K in 3 weeks.

So we are camping out here for now.

Kori Ellis
04-25-2005, 11:52 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA041505.1A.nsa_jobs.1db5ca48c.html

Spy agency jobs to flow into S.A.
Web Posted: 04/15/2005 12:00 AM CDT

L.A. Lorek
Express-News Business Writer

The National Security Agency, the nation's cryptology branch, has leased the former Sony chip plant in Northwestern Bexar County and plans to hire at least 1,500 employees, NSA officials said Thursday.

Even more jobs could be added as the site develops in several phases, according to the NSA.

Nationwide, the NSA is hiring up to 4,500 employees through 2008 and some of those employees will be located here, according to an e-mail message from Ellen Cioccio, an NSA spokeswoman.

The NSA already has about 2,000 people at Lackland AFB's Medina Annex.

In addition, a group of experienced analysts will transfer from NSA's Fort Meade, Md., headquarters to San Antonio. They will be here to train the military and new civilian employees, Cioccio said.

One of the government's most secretive branches, the NSA, whose agents are known as the code breakers and the code makers, performs foreign intelligence gathering, analysis and reporting missions supporting combat commanders and national level decision makers in the United States and abroad.

The San Antonio NSA office includes personnel from the Army, Marine Corps., Navy, Air Force and the civilian Defense Department.

"NSA is expanding its presence in San Antonio as part of our transformation efforts and as a result of the lessons learned from our global war on terrorism experiences," according to Cioccio.

San Antonio beat out sites in Georgia and Hawaii for the NSA expansion project. San Antonio was chosen because the NSA already has a large, growing presence here.

"Obviously, this is a huge deal for the city and one we've been working on for some time," County Judge Nelson Wolff said. "It's a perfect site for a mission like this."

Last week, Corporate Office Properties Trust, a real estate investment trust based in Columbia, Md., bought the Sony site for $30.5 million and leased it to the Army Corps of Engineers on the NSA's behalf.

The NSA does as much as it can to hide its identity, said James Bamford, the author of two bestselling books on the NSA: "Body of Secrets" and "The Puzzle Palace."

The new NSA site, at Loop 410 and Military Drive, consists of two connected buildings that contain office and research and development space totaling about 475,000 square feet. Those buildings could be expanded by several thousand more square feet.

In addition, Office Properties Trust plans to buy 43 more acres around the 50-acre Sony Campus. The campus has the ability to accommodate three more buildings and its developers eventually expect the site to exceed 1 million square feet, making it the city's second largest office park after USAA's headquarters on the North Side.

The developers need to do some remodeling to the site to accommodate the NSA operations, which are expected to begin moving in this fall.

"We're excited about the prospect and looking forward to the new jobs that are created," Mayor Ed Garza said.

Already, San Antonio has a strong presence of cyber security operations and research with existing NSA operations and the U.S. Air Force Intelligence Agency at Lackland, nicknamed Security Hill.

The University of Texas at San Antonio also is one of 59 universities in the nation recognized by the NSA, which designated it a center for academic excellence in information assurance education.

With its growing expertise, San Antonio has developed a reputation nationwide as a top-notch information security city, said U.S. Rep. Charlie Gonzalez. And since 9-11 and Gulf War II, the U.S. government has been beefing up its intelligence agencies and particularly its operations here, he said.

The Texas Congressional delegation received a briefing on the NSA expansion in San Antonio on Thursday. The project has been kept top secret because of its mission.

"It's a sophisticated operation in every way," Gonzalez said. "This is a great opportunity for individuals in San Antonio."

The site will be a major intelligence campus of the NSA and one of the largest campuses outside of Fort Meade, where the NSA has between 20,000 and 30,000 employees and operates like a small city.

The NSA must expand outside of Washington because they've run out of room at their current site, Bamford said. The San Antonio site will also help diversify the agency and not make them as vulnerable in the event of an attack, he said.

"To have something of this magnitude is going to be a huge plus for us," said Mario Hernandez, president of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, which has been working to get the project for almost a year.

On May 4, the NSA will have a career fair at the Omni Hotel in San Antonio. The agency is looking to hire intelligence analysts, language experts, computer scientists, mathematicians, signals analysts, accountants, financial analysts, investigators and police officers.

When Sony shut down its chip manufacturing plant in 2003, the city lost 600 high-paying jobs and a major technology company. But now, the site will become home to the NSA and will help protect the United States at home and abroad, Wolff said.

"When you have something bad happen, this shows something good can come from it," he said.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2005, 11:54 PM
fucking nice! Hopefully you guys can cash in on that. That area is exploding, when I was working for Unintech you would not believe the amount of surveying we did in that area for KB and Eagle Valley.

SequSpur
04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Our value has gone up, but its holding because since I live in TARA, there is no homeowners association and damn near every house in the neighborhood seems like a rental. We are trying to GTFO and move to one of these Ryland neighborhoods, but every time I go to make a deal, the prices keep going up and I'll be damned if I drop 2K/month on a house. F..... that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 12:54 AM
:( I move to Dallas for a new computer job, and the NSA comes to San Antonio.

Figures.

:pctoss

AlamoSpursFan
04-26-2005, 07:51 AM
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

They don't call it "No Such Agency" for nothing...

:lol

Clandestino
04-26-2005, 08:02 AM
it has been front page 2 times in the past week... better start applying now any of you, unless you already have a security clearance. they take 1-2 years to get...

AlamoSpursFan
04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
I used to work with a guy who was in the Air Force. I didn't really know him, just said "what's up?" to him every once in a while, but when he got transferred to Nebraska to be in a nuclear missile silo, they interviewed me and everyone else at our store for his security clearance. It was pretty funny stuff they were asking..."Have you ever heard Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) mention the government?" "Have you ever heard Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) make any derogatory remarks about President Bush?" (The first President Bush) "Do you have any reason to believe Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) might be a Russian intelligence agent?"

The interview lasted about 15 minutes and one guy was asking the questions while another guy just stared at me. All I said was no. Honestly, I only said hi to the guy a few times. I didn't know a thing about him except he was a Seattle Seahawks fan because of the bumper sticker on his car. It was a trip.

gophergeorge
04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Interesting, I wonder how the fuck I missed that. I wouldn't mind looking into a job with them.

You are not our type.... :)

Shelly
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I used to work with a guy who was in the Air Force. I didn't really know him, just said "what's up?" to him every once in a while, but when he got transferred to Nebraska to be in a nuclear missile silo, they interviewed me and everyone else at our store for his security clearance. It was pretty funny stuff they were asking..."Have you ever heard Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) mention the government?" "Have you ever heard Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) make any derogatory remarks about President Bush?" (The first President Bush) "Do you have any reason to believe Mr. (I've forgotten his last name) might be a Russian intelligence agent?"

The interview lasted about 15 minutes and one guy was asking the questions while another guy just stared at me. All I said was no. Honestly, I only said hi to the guy a few times. I didn't know a thing about him except he was a Seattle Seahawks fan because of the bumper sticker on his car. It was a trip.

:lol

That happened to my dad. We make overhead cranes and were putting cranes in the buildings that built the Stealth Bomber, so my dad need a 'black world' clearance for Lockheed. We had just moved to CA and our neighbors were asked about my dad, etc. They didn't even know him. My dad was always convinced he was spied on!

I used to be the person for our company that had to submit clearances. Some people led some interesting lives.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:20 AM
You are not our type....

lol, that made me chuckle.

Yeah gopher he is your type, cause he loves this country.

Anyone that loves there country deserves to defend it.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
You are not our type.... :)
I don't know whether to say thank you, or fuck you. But I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Clandestino
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
nbadan is definitely not "the type." he would be screwed with they asked questions regarding making disparagin remarks about the USA!

samikeyp
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Manny,

There is an NSA job fair next wednesday May 4 at the Omni.

http://www.nsa.gov/careers/students_6.cfm

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Mike.

samikeyp
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
no problemo.

spurster
04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I suggest that we put up an NSA forum so that if anybody here applies, we can provide the NSA with valuable information on character, integrity, and most importantly, mental health.