PDA

View Full Version : Funeral Homes Sued Over Brain in Bag

mrsmaalox
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Funeral Homes Sued Over Brain in Bag

Family Unwittingly Handed Bag of Personal Effects that Included Deceased's Brain; Realized Due to Odor

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/07/ap/strange/main6066750.shtml

A New Mexico family is suing two funeral homes over a gruesome incident in which members unwittingly accepted a bag containing a relative's brain and only became aware of it by the odor a day later.

Funeral homes in New Mexico and Utah, where the woman died, are blaming each other for the mistake. Both have been named in the lawsuit.

"This is just a sad tragedy," plaintiffs attorney Richard Valle said Wednesday. "This almost feels like something you'd read about in a Stephen King book."

The suit was filed Monday in state District Court in Albuquerque. According to the complaint, the woman's relatives "smelled a foul odor coming from the bag" they received from New Mexico's DeVargas Funeral Home and Crematory of the Espanola Valley.

The woman, identified by her initials M.F.R., died in a car accident in Utah on Sept. 28.

Funeral home owner Johnny DeVargas didn't immediately return telephone messages seeking comment but denied any fault to the Albuquerque Journal, saying a Utah funeral home was responsible.

"We inherited the problem from Utah," DeVargas said. "We are a very reputable company and we were dealt a bad hand."

In addition to the New Mexico funeral home, the lawsuit also names as defendants Serenicare Funeral Home in Draper, Utah, and Inman Shipping Worldwide, an Ohio-based shipping company that transported the body to northern New Mexico.

A woman who answered the telephone after business hours Wednesday at Inman's call center said nobody from the company was available to comment.

Serenicare owner Dick Johnson said his firm's action was typical within the industry.

Characterizing the brain as "75 percent water," he said the woman's brain went into a bag because it had sustained substantial trauma from the crash.

"Rather than try to reinsert the brain into a damaged head, it is common practice to ship it inside a bag," he said.

He said said the bag containing the brain was placed in a casket with the rest of the remains for transport to New Mexico and eventual burial.

Johnson also said when someone has died in a violent crash, there's usually blood "and who knows what" on clothing or other items, so his employees typically sit down with relatives of the victim and encourage them to let the funeral home discard the bag rather than accept it.

He also denied that the Utah funeral home combined the brain and personal items in a single bag.

"I think once all the discovery takes place, it will become evident there was some negligence at that end," Johnson said. "We feel bad. We don't know what could have been done differently, but we follow standard industry practice."

During a viewing in New Mexico, the lawsuit says a DeVargas employee returned the personal belongings to a relative "in an unsealed bag." The relative "left the bag of the personal belongings in his truck until after the burial."

One day after interment, relatives noticed the smell and opened the bag.

"Plaintiffs ... experienced shock, horror and great fear upon learning that decedent's entire body had not been buried," the lawsuit says.

The brain later was buried with the woman's body.

z0sa
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
what the fuck happened?? since when do you remove a person's brain before burial?? I understand they say it's industry policy, but it still makes no sense to me..

Drachen
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
what the fuck happened?? since when do you remove a person's brain before burial?? I understand they say it's industry policy, but it still makes no sense to me..

It states that in a bad car accident if the brain has come out, that it is easier than putting it back in the head.

z0sa
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
It states that in a bad car accident if the brain has come out, that it is easier than putting it back in the head.

I am just weirded out, but damn that sounds so wrong.. they essentially left the family with a bag of brainy goo. that's sick.

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
The funeral home clearly lost their mind.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM

You say "clearly" like this is all black and white, but I think it's more of a gray matter.

BacktoBasics
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
The funeral home clearly lost their mind.No brains at all I tell you.

I. Hustle
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
What they didn't tell you was that the brain came back to life. At first it started feeding on small insects but it's hunger soon grew and it attacked small vermin. It has learned to communicate through telekinesis and is able to take control of people's minds. Turns out that without having to use it's energy on a human body it has learned to use more than 40% of it's power so far which is 30% more than the average person uses. Last I heard it was making it's way through El Paso but that was a couple of days ago who knows how fa.... sgjsfdhgji okajnoisnfdhier

ahjaperhnpi

Forget everything you read previously. There is no such thing. The whole idea is ridiculous and could never be. You will do as I instruct you to do. First the females will need to remove all articles of clothing. Then stand in front of the nearest mirror and take photographs of yourselves. Once this is complete send those pictures through personal message to I. Hustle. From there you will be sorted and contacted for fertilization.
The males will empty their bank accounts and gather all of their money and send them to I. Hustle's bank account. Once this is complete you will forget all that has been ordered of you.

Is this understood?

I. Hustle
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/2093298807_f7938dd7f5_o.gif

mrsmaalox
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
It's really terrible and all, but I can't help thinking about one night when I was working the Trauma ICU. We got a drunk teenage girl who rolled her car and was ejected somewhere in the desert east of El Paso. Amazingly, she was okay except for scratches and lots of sand and cactus needles, in addition to being an obnoxious drunk. When we were wrestling her trying to get her cleaned up, I was just going to put a surgical hat on her because her hair was such a matted filthy mess, so I lifted up her hair and out fell this sweet little field mouse, flattened like a pancake by her fat head! I handed it to the aide and told him to toss it, but the girl had been so rude to everyone and we pretty much hated her, so he chose to just drop the poor little mouse into her personal belongings bag and trotted out to the waiting room to deliver it to her equally rude family. :)

mrsmaalox
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

You say "clearly" like this is all black and white, but I think it's more of a gray matter.

No brains at all I tell you.

:lmao

I. Hustle
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
This wouldn't have happened if they had half a brain.

The Gemini Method
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
For the life of me, and I've been wracking my brain around this...did they not double check the items they were giving back to the family? This is really an absent-minded fail.

Bigzax
01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
shit for brains i tell you...the whole mess stinks.

Cyrano
01-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Still, it's less upsetting than last year's "dick in a box" incident.

Johnny RIngo
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
My roomate once left a bowl of noodles lying around for more than a week. Smelled really fucking awful. Can't imagine anything smelling worse than that but the description of the brain(75% water according to the article) really has me wondering.