PDA

View Full Version : Do Clippers have any players in HOF?

Mhak
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't follow clippers but i was watching the game last night against the lakers and it got me thinking. Do they have anyone worthy or in the HOF?

namlook
01-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Bill Walton was a Clipper.

Mhak
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
lol.. I was at the staples center and man i only see lakers jersey up the roof...

XFactor
01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Bob McAdoo and Bill Walton

cherylsteele
01-08-2010, 05:46 AM
From Wikipedia:
Only three players have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame based significantly upon achievements while with the franchise:

Adrian Dantley, F, 1976–78 (Buffalo Braves)
11 Bob McAdoo, C, 1973–77 (Buffalo Braves)
32 Bill Walton, C, 1979–85 (1979–84 with San Diego Clippers)
One other Hall of Famer joined the franchise late in his career:

21 Dominique Wilkins, SF, 1994
Two other Hall of Famers served the franchise in management positions:

Dr. Jack Ramsay, Head Coach, 1973–76 (Buffalo Braves)
Elgin Baylor, General Manager, 1986–2008. (inducted as player, 1977)
McAdoo and Randy Smith (G, 1972–79, 1983–84) are also members of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame. Walton, a native of the San Diego area, is also a member of the San Diego Hall of Champions.

namlook
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
From Wikipedia:
Only three players have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame based significantly upon achievements while with the franchise:

Adrian Dantley, F, 1976–78 (Buffalo Braves)
11 Bob McAdoo, C, 1973–77 (Buffalo Braves)
32 Bill Walton, C, 1979–85 (1979–84 with San Diego Clippers)

The questions was "Clippers." Buffalo Braves players don't count. Once you change the name of the team it becomes a new franchise.

alamo50
01-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Once you change the name of the team it becomes a new franchise.

Not for the real fans.

cherylsteele
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
The questions was "Clippers." Buffalo Braves players don't count. Once you change the name of the team it becomes a new franchise.
It is still the same franchise.

Thunder=Sonics
Titans=Oilers

The only exception I know of is the Browns/Ravens, it was agreed to keep the records in Cleveland and so in effect the Ravens were an expansion team.

JoeTait75
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
If you don't count the former Buffalo Braves (and they shouldn't be counted) probably the closest thing the Clippers have had to a HOFer is Terry Cummings.

namlook
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
It is still the same franchise.

Thunder=Sonics
Titans=Oilers

I understand some people support that but they should not.

If the city and team name both change it should be considered a new franchise. Once that happens records should not carry over. It violates sports ethics to do otherwise.

Once you change the name of the team it becomes a new franchise.

Not for the real fans.

Oh BS. Are you saying if you are a Spurs fan and they move the team to LA and change their name to the LA Panthers you would root for them until you die just like you do the Spurs? LOL. Yeah, that won't happen. I can believe you would remain a Tim Duncan fan and keep rooting for him but once all those old Spurs players are gone and retired you would not pledge allegiance to the LA Panthers especially if a new franchise came to San Antonio at the same time. You would root for your home town team, not the LA team.

How would you feel when announcers say "And LA Panthers Power Forward John Smith just broke Tim Duncan's team record for rebounds erasing him from the record books."

No. It's wrong. Tim Duncan's records stand alone with the Spurs and any records set by the new team belong to that new franchise. You do not mix the two.

Imagine if the Boston Celtics left Boston and became the LA Logos and players on that new team started breaking Bill Russell's records. There is not a Celtics fan alive that would recognize that and give those new players a place ahead of the Celtics players in team record books.

exstatic
01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
You may be butt hurt about it, but I'm betting that the Clipper's record books are littered with Braves player records, including scoring ones by McAdoo. They didn't suck in Buffalo, the market was just too small. Your premise about fans not caring years later is flawed too. Fans caring and the franchise continuity are two separate issues. Sacto still recognizes accomplishments by Oscar Roberston, and that was TWO cities and TWO names ago.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion on this, but it does not align with the legalities of owning a franchise, or even common sports fan thinking. As stated in a previous post, Cleveland got to hang onto the Browns history, but that was a special, legally sanctioned agreement, meaning that the default position is the opposite.

namlook
01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
You may be butt hurt about it,

Butthurt? Sounds like a backwoods redneck expression.

I'm just pointing put the stupidity of it. The Kings might want to recognize the big O because it's the only greatness they can cling on to, but no one associated with the Royals recognize the Kings as their team. Nor should they.

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Bob McAdoo and Bill Walton

But were their careers of any note during their time with the Clips. How can one franchise be so bad for so long???

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
The Rockets used to play in San Diego. Good thing that San Diego suckage curse didn't stay with them when they left San Diego but they sure sucked when they were there.

The Rockets were founded in 1967 in San Diego, and after being bought by Robert Breitbard for 1.75 million dollars, they joined the NBA as an expansion team for the 1967–68 NBA season. The San Diego franchise nickname became the "Rockets" due to the city calling itself "a city of motion". Jack McMahon was named the Rockets' coach, and the team's first draft pick in 1967 was the future Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley. However, the Rockets went on to lose 67 games in their inaugural season, which was then an NBA record for losses in a season.

In 1968, after the Rockets won a coin toss against the Baltimore Bullets to determine who would have the first overall pick in the 1968 NBA Draft, they selected Elvin Hayes from the University of Houston. Hayes led the team to the franchise's first ever playoff appearance in 1969, but the Rockets lost in the semi-finals of the Western Division to the Atlanta Hawks, four games to two. In 1970 NBA Draft, the Rockets drafted Calvin Murphy and Rudy Tomjanovich, who would both spend their whole careers with the Rockets.

Despite being coached by Hall of Fame coach Alex Hannum, the Rockets only tallied a 57–97 record and did not make the playoffs in the next two seasons. Because of poor performance and attendance, Breitbard sold the team in 1971 to Texas Sports Investments, which was led by real estate broker Wayne Duddleston and banker Billy Goldberg. The group bought the franchise for $5.6 million, and immediately moved the team to Houston. The franchise became the first NBA team in Texas, and the team's nickname of "Rockets" took on even greater relevance after the move.

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe the Clips need a stadium and fanbase of their own. They should move out of Staples Center. It's kinda stupid for both teams to play in the same stadium. Move em back to San Diego~!

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
But the Clippers do own several NBA Records :lmao

On March 1, 2006 the Clippers held the New Orleans Hornets to an NBA record low 16 points in the second half of play. Since the introduction of the shot clock, no point total for a half had been lower than 19. Coincidentally, one of three teams to have such a low point total in a half was the Clippers. (OMG BRHORNET45 DAY OF INFAMY)

The Clippers are currently the oldest NBA team to never appear in the NBA Finals.

The Clippers are one of three teams (along with the Memphis Grizzlies and the Charlotte Bobcats) to have never won an NBA Championship, Conference Championship, or a Division Championship in their franchise's history.

Mavs_man_41
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM

it sounds just like you

namlook
01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
it sounds just like you

For you butthurt means your head hurts.

cherylsteele
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM

I'm just pointing put the stupidity of it. The Kings might want to recognize the big O because it's the only greatness they can cling on to, but no one associated with the Royals recognize the Kings as their team. Nor should they.
That is only a fan's point of view, the Royals and Kings are the same franchise, the name was changed because when the team moved to KC the city already had a team named the Royals, and they did not want cause confusion.

They also had Nate "Tiny" Archibald as part of their history as well.

Just because a team moves and changes/or doesn't change their name doesn't mean that team's history disappears, be it good or bad.

I guess your logic says anything the Lakers did in Minneapolis is not part of the franchise's history.
What about the Dodgers, Raiders, Rams, Jazz, etc. they all kept their history.