PDA

View Full Version : Sefko: Dallas Mavericks face an offensive juggernaut in Spurs

Blackjack
01-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Dallas Mavericks face an offensive juggernaut in Spurs (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/010810dnspomavsdate.38e2100.html)

09:17 PM CST on Thursday, January 7, 2010
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

SAN ANTONIO – This week, the Mavericks were assigned the job of visiting a couple of Western Conference big dogs.

Pit bull No. 1 treated them rather meanly Sunday when the Mavericks went to LA and left with their tails between their legs after a 35-point loss to the Lakers.

Now, they'll try to bite back in San Antonio tonight against the Spurs.

Interestingly, they will see a different a different breed of Spurs. They have taken on a little different personality, although coach Gregg Popovich surely would disagree.

These Spurs average 102.1 points per game, far and away the most any San Antonio team has scored during the Popovich era.

So what gives? Have the Spurs wiggled off their leash and been allowed to run free?

"They're scoring, and they're playing defense," said Jason Kidd, who played for Popovich in the 2003 World Championships. "Pop knows how to make adjustments with the pieces of the puzzle that he has. And he has guys who can score.

"He's about defense, and he's a great coach. He understands how to handle people and that's why he's won championships. You have to worry about them. They can get hot from the perimeter and go from being down five or six to up 12. They're shooting the three well, and we got to take that part of the game away."

The Spurs have indeed evolved offensively. They were a consistent mid-90s, or lower, scoring team through most of the last decade, which included four championships.

They have gradually drifted away from the inside-outside game. They have replaced David Robinson, Rasho Nesterovic or Fabricio Oberto teaming with Tim Duncan to Robert Horry and then Keith Bogans, Richard Jefferson or Matt Bonner (currently injured) as the running mate for Duncan.

And they are No. 3 in the league in 3-point shooting percentage.

"They've been scoring all year," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "They've added some weapons. [Antonio] McDyess and Jefferson, those guys are top-caliber players. They've beefed up their team, and it's a tough matchup."

Added Jason Terry: "They're built a little different. Some of the pieces are interchangeable though. Keith Bogans is like Bruce Bowen with a better offensive game. You got Richard Jefferson, who's more athletic than Michael Finley at this point in his career. They just got more offensive weapons. So they still got the same defensive fire, but they definitely want to be a high-scoring team."

Of course, in the two meetings, the Spurs have averaged 93 points against the Mavericks, and that includes one game that went to overtime.

Clearly, the Spurs still pay attention to their defensive roots.

"That's why you play defense," Popovich said, "because you can always count on that."

Sibling rivalry: Terry said playing the Spurs was like big brother playing against little brother.

"This is your rival," he said. "They're big brother because they got all the titles and trophies. But never go to sleep on little brother. You know the saying, little brother always wins in the end."

Not sure that saying has gone mainstream yet. But Terry was on a roll.

"If you watch them over the past month, they might be the best team in basketball the way they've come together," Terry said. "We knew it was going to take some time with those new pieces, but Pop knows what he's doing. They've already beaten us once down there."

Nowitzki second: Dirk Nowitzki remains in second place in the NBA All-Star voting released Thursday. He is 742,129 votes behind Denver's Carmelo Anthony and 49,905 ahead of the Spurs' Duncan. Jason Kidd is sixth among Western Conference guards, and Shawn Marion is eighth among the forwards.

Dampier improving: Erick Dampier is hoping to play tonight. He's missed the last two games with inflammation in his left knee. "I should be playing, hopefully," he said. "But it's still a game-day decision."

braeden0613
01-08-2010, 01:44 AM
"They're big brother because they got all the titles and trophies. But never go to sleep on little brother. You know the saying, little brother always wins in the end."

Huh? Dumber than a rock, that guy.

Blackjack
01-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Sibling rivalry: Terry said playing the Spurs was like big brother playing against little brother.

"This is your rival," he said. "They're big brother because they got all the titles and trophies. But never go to sleep on little brother. You know the saying, little brother always wins in the end."

Not sure that saying has gone mainstream yet. But Terry was on a roll.

Yeah, lets not let the facts get in the way of a good quote.:lmao

SpurCharger
01-08-2010, 01:54 AM
True Story About Jason Terry.... I Used To Be A Asst Manager At Champ Sports In Tucson AZ, At The Same Time Jason Terry Was Playin Ball For University Of Arizona. He Would Come Into Champs Weekly And Buy Stuff, But One Time He Came In The store Bought A Nike Shirt, and After He Paid, We Caught Him trying To Steal Socks And Put Them Into His Bag..... The Only Reason He was Not Reported, Is Because My Boss Was A huge U of A Fan, and Didnt want To Bring That Negative Media To The School.

To Make A Long Story Short JT Is Bum, And Every Time I See the guy Play I always Think In My mind "Sock Thief"!

SenorSpur
01-08-2010, 02:05 AM
True Story About Jason Terry.... I Used To Be A Asst Manager At Champ Sports In Tucson AZ, At The Same Time Jason Terry Was Playin Ball For University Of Arizona. He Would Come Into Champs Weekly And Buy Stuff, But One Time He Came In The store Bought A Nike Shirt, and After He Paid, We Caught Him trying To Steal Socks And Put Them Into His Bag..... The Only Reason He was Not Reported, Is Because My Boss Was A huge U of A Fan, and Didnt want To Bring That Negative Media To The School.

To Make A Long Story Short JT Is Bum, And Every Time I See the guy Play I always Think In My mind "Sock Thief"!

Priceless! :rollin

NZ Spurs
01-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Notice the subtle dig at Bowen? Payback for Bowen's retirement speech?

Why On Earth Do You Capitalize nearly Every Word?

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Jason Terry is a smurf..

wijayas
01-08-2010, 04:15 AM

Thank you for sharing. Now JT = sock thief! :lol

cherylsteele
01-08-2010, 05:38 AM
So now at the game people are gonna start throwing old rolled up socks at him?

ffadicted
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

omg I will never be able to look at him without thinking this now :rollin:rollin

hater
01-08-2010, 11:09 AM
penis envy

Spursmania
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks Spur Charger. I personally think he looks like an ass with his headband and long socks. But the sock story is classic! lmao:lmao

Phenomanul
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

He must have a sock fetish... takes them illegally and likes them riding high...

Strike
01-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Possibly one of the greatest basketball stories I've ever read. :lmao

nkdlunch
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
:lmao

it must be true because nobody would make that shit up

Spursmania
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Lastly, I got carried away with the sock story. But back to the article.

McDonald calling the Spurs an "offensive juggernaut" is a little ridiculous.

Jug⋅ger⋅naut

–noun
1. (often lowercasehttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png) any large, overpowering, destructive force or object, as war, a giant battleship, or a powerful football team.

duhoh
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
penis envy

:king

:lmao

exactly. him being from my locale (seattle-region) just makes it so much more funny to me.

usually when the underdog wins is when they outsmart the big dog. but what happens when the big dog's IQ is higher?

MateoNeygro
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
he's got game but apparently steals socks and from his quotes seems like that U of A education went to waste.