PDA

View Full Version : Expect the Rockets to make a "hard" push for Chris Bosh

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

BOISE, Idaho -- Here are the best (and last) dribbles of chatter from the NBA grapevine as collected from various executives, scouts and insiders who gathered to watch 16 teams play two games each in a four-day span at the annual D-League Showcase:

Some 40 days from the league's annual trading deadline, no one in Boise could say with any certainty that the Toronto Raptors are going to be willing to move Chris Bosh ahead of the Feb. 18 trade buzzer.

No one has a firm read on Toronto's intentions yet.

What we did hear, though, is that the Houston Rockets have made it known that they would be willing to trade for Bosh immediately … even if they don't get a guarantee they can re-sign him this summer.

That's the problem with any sort of Bosh deal at midseason. Even if the Raps do decide they want to make Bosh available now and avoid the threat of losing him without compensation in free agency after July 1, there's an overwhelming majority of teams that wouldn't dare consider trading for Bosh in February without some sort of assurance they could keep him.

But Houston is different.

Sources say the ever-aggressive Rockets are sure a half-season in Houston could convince the native Texan to pledge his long-term future to a city players love as well as a team that sits four games over .500 without the injured Yao Ming and the exiled Tracy McGrady. The Rockets also have the requisite stash of young assets, as evidenced by their success this season without marquee names, to assemble a legit deal for Toronto to consider … and without insisting that McGrady's mammoth $22.5 million salary has to be part of it.

You figure Chicago, Miami and New York also are on the short list of teams that would be willing to risk trading for Bosh before we get to the summer. Those are the teams thought to have the best shot at signing him in free agency and could inherit Bosh's Larry Bird rights with a deal before the deadline. None of them, though, can offer a better talent deal than Houston. The Heat and Knicks -- with their heavily stripped-down rosters as the countdown continues to July 1 -- can't come close.

The Raps recently have inched back to .500, just got point guard Jose Calderon back from a hip injury and still expect bruising forward Reggie Evans to start playing in the second half of the season after recovering from a foot problem to provide some needed toughness. So there's a good case for Toronto to put off any major decisions until the offseason.

The Raptors have long believed, furthermore, that Bosh will participate in a sign-and-trade this summer -- if he decides to leave Canada after saying repeatedly that he loves the place -- before walking away outright from the franchise that drafted him.

I nonetheless was advised this week to expect Houston to make a hard Bosh push during these next 40 days if the Raptors invite it. Or perhaps even if they don't invite it.

That tale alone made it a worthy trip.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100108-09/weekend-dime-rockets-woo-bosh

Goran Dragic
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
With Bosh at PF and Ming at C Houston's front court would be able to overwhelm the other team with estrogen.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
With Bosh at PF and Ming at C Houston's front court would be able to overwhelm the other team with estrogen.

Just like Nash and Flopamire....Don't forget the Igoudala trade can still be had as well

da_suns_fan
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I wonder if they would accept an Amare for Bosh trade. Maybe not considering Amare will probably opt out.

da_suns_fan
01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Just like Nash and Flopamire....Don't forget the Igoudala trade can still be had as well

Flopamire? Youre giving him to much credt. In order to flop you have to at least be pretending to be play defense.

Goran Dragic
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Just like Nash and Flopamire

Amare makes Chris Bosh his bitch more or less every time the Suns play the Raptors, and Nash is like the opposite of Yao Ming. Nash has made the most that can be made out of a frail undersized unathletic player, while Yao Ming has made the absolute least that can be made out of a 7'6" giant who was bread by communists specifically to play basketball.

da_suns_fan
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
My guess is Yao is pretty much finished.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Amare makes Chris Bosh his bitch more or less every time the Suns play the Raptors, .

It's not like Scola is good on defense either, Bosh is just way more effective on offense....Scola got punked by David West to the tune of 44 points

jag
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Nate Robinson can't wait.

On a serious note, that front court would be dirty.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't see how Morey could get this done without giving up McGrady's contract, but if he does, I would expect the Iggy trade to get done as well

Thunder Dan
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
and expect him to say no thanks

Double-Up
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
and expect him to say no thanks

...just like LeBron will to Cleveland. :lol

JamStone
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
T-Mac, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, and Chase Budinger for Bosh, Jose Calderon, and Marcus Banks works.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
T-Mac, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, and Chase Budinger for Bosh, Jose Calderon, and Marcus Banks works.

They'll trade Scola before Landry

Double-Up
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM

We're giving up too much, if they were to sign and trade him no way would they get anywhere near that.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
We're giving up too much, if they were to sign and trade him no way would they get anywhere near that.

Scola, Ariza, Cook, Taylor for Bosh works

Andrew Bynum
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Sorry Houston fanboys. Me and my grampa knees are headed up to Canada for Mr. Bosh.

Double-Up
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Scola, Ariza, Cook, Taylor for Bosh works

I doubt they would agree to that though, they'd probably want Landry and one of our point guards plus filler. Either way I hope we can get him.

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I doubt they would agree to that though, they'd probably want Landry and one of our point guards plus filler. Either way I hope we can get him.

Yeah you're right, but here's an interesting thought. What if Morey isn't including McGrady in this deal because he is dangling McGrady towards another team in hopes of acquiring talent from that team along with another player to send back to Toronto?

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM

lol

redzero
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
It's not like Scola is good on defense either, Bosh is just way more effective on offense....Scola got punked by David West to the tune of 44 points

And the Rockets won that game regardless.

I wonder if Chris Bosh has any lingering injury problems.

01-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Flopamire? Youre giving him to much credt. In order to flop you have to at least be pretending to be play defense.
:lol

Double-Up
01-08-2010, 03:48 PM
lol

History doesn't lie, look at any superstar that was signed and traded in the past 10 years and see what they got back. Now that's fucking funny.

Indazone
01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
They'll trade Scola before Landry

I was just gonna say this. Landry is way too efficient a scorer and too athletic to let go. Scola will be let go although you hate to lose him too.

Indazone
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
If Morey does this without giving up T-Mac, then I'd say the Rockets could go after a premium shooting guard or SF. Say...like Lebron James? LOL

Andrew Bynum
01-08-2010, 04:04 PM
LMAO rocketfan

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 04:12 PM
If Morey does this without giving up T-Mac, then I'd say the Rockets could go after a premium shooting guard or SF. Say...like Lebron James? LOL

If Morey does this with t-mac, then i say he goes after Kevin Martin, or Andre Igoudala. Or possibly even Danny Granger. A rumor that has been floated around is that Larry Bird might be interested in a trade for him, Morey has denied this, but he has also denied that he was interested in Bosh as well, now we know that to be false

Andrew Bynum
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
We're getting Bosh, then Igoudala! Dumbass rocketfags.

JamStone
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Be realistic. First of all, if the Raps sign and trade Bosh, it will be this summer and it's because Bosh is definitely leaving regardless and they have no leverage anymore. Of course, they'll get less if they sign and trade him. Trading him now, they'll ask for more because it gives the team trading for him two more assets, his Bird Rights outright and the opportunity of having for the rest of this season to make a playoff push and/or to convince him to stick around.

And, as the article suggested, other teams that will make a push for Bosh as well included Chicago, Miami, and New York. Chicago would offer a package involving Tyrus Thomas and maybe Hinrich. Miami would most likely be offering up Michael Beasley in a package. And New York would probably be trading David Lee or Wilson Chandler or both. The Houston trade I proposed with Landry, Lowry, and Budinger would require the Rockets to offer at least that much to be competitive with other teams trying to trade for Bosh.

Stern isn't going to give the Rockets a Pau Gasol or KG trade. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Double-Up
01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Be realistic. First of all, if the Raps sign and trade Bosh, it will be this summer and it's because Bosh is definitely leaving regardless and they have no leverage anymore. Of course, they'll get less if they sign and trade him. Trading him now, they'll ask for more because it gives the team trading for him two more assets, his Bird Rights outright and the opportunity of having for the rest of this season to make a playoff push and/or to convince him to stick around.

And, as the article suggested, other teams that will make a push for Bosh as well included Chicago, Miami, and New York. Chicago would offer a package involving Tyrus Thomas and maybe Hinrich. Miami would most likely be offering up Michael Beasley in a package. And New York would probably be trading David Lee or Wilson Chandler or both. The Houston trade I proposed with Landry, Lowry, and Budinger would require the Rockets to offer at least that much to be competitive with other teams trying to trade for Bosh.

Stern isn't going to give the Rockets a Pau Gasol or KG trade. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'm pretty sure you're right but I was just trying to be optimistic. :depressed

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
That's why I lol'd

djohn2oo8
01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right but I was just trying to be optimistic. :depressed

Daryl Morey has inside info on Stern, so a deal will happen :lol

Lars
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Goddamn I love our management.