PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: What’s the Point? Parker Must Lead the Spurs in His Own Way

Blackjack
01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
What’s the Point? Parker Must Lead the Spurs in His Own Way
by Jesse Blanchard

Tony Parker is not John Stockton. We know that. The Spurs know that. In fact, they built one of the most successfully executing and complicated offensive systems in the NBA around that bit of knowledge.

There was a time, however, when Gregg Popovich did want Parker to be Stockton. In the summer of 2003 the Spurs even attempted to bring in someone Stockton-like in his ability to run an offense and rack up high assist numbers. I’ll spare you the history lesson because chances are at some point tonight one of the television personalities will tell you about it anyways.

Tonight Parker will look his defender in the eyes and see his exact opposite, a point guard who scored inefficiently but excelled at feeding teammates, and remember what the Spurs once wanted. Fortunately for the Spurs, Kidd resigned with the Nets—sorry, there’s that history lesson after all—and Popovich recognized Parker for the unique player he truly was, allowing him to grow into the point guard that won the Finals MVP in the team’s last championship.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/08/whats-the-point-parker-must-lead-the-spurs-in-his-own-way/)

jag
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I would argue that this is a limited and archaic view of basketball and that the concept of “pure” point guard is overrated. After all, how many titles do these “pure” point guards have? Parker and his scoring mentality have accounted for three titles.

So if Parker doesn’t fit the mold of point guard we want to hold so high, how have the Spurs been so successful? Simply put: assist averages do not predicate success. Systems do. The goal of an offense is to make the best use of its resources in generating the most efficient shots possible and adapt when those options are taken away. A point guard then should be judged solely by how well his team fulfills those goals, regardless of style.

Statisticians have repeatedly pointed out that the most efficient shots are lay-ups and corner threes. It’s a big reason why dominant big men are so integral to championships. They prevent lay-ups while generating close shots and open three-pointers. And what is Tony Parker if not a one-man lay-up line?

Curbing a weapon like Parker to conform to an outdated definition of point guard, especially when you have two other players more than capable of supplementing his playmaking duties, is simply a gross mismanagement of our resources.

Moving forward, it’s not in the Spurs best interests to alter Parker’s game or trade for a point guard who would appease “traditionalists”. The Spurs tried that before and if they have any notion of doing so again, they simply need to look on the floor and weigh the point guard so many always wanted against the rings the team already has.

This was such a good read.

At this point in his career Tony is what he is. And the Spurs have been successful using his speed and quickness to penetrate, and either score or kick it out. Manu has always been a better passer in the half-court sets...and I've been really impressed with RJ's passing in the half-court, as well. The Spurs don't need TP to try to be something he's not, they just need him healthy.

Putting four big-time playmakers and scorers on the floor simultaneously is going to bring unexpected problems. Many Spurs fans expected things to click immediately...and it's just not that easy. If Pop and these guys can continue working things out, then I like our chances after March.

Brazil
01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
It's really a nice article putting things in perspective. However for the spurs and for his career TP must try to improve his playmaking for the others in his arsenal especially in the fast breaks. If on top of that he can develop a reliable 3 pointer, you can expect for him to have a long carreer at high level.

Spursmania
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
This is an excellent article. Exactly on point I believe. I really enjoyed it.

He must be reading ST regularly too, since he really hit on so many of the topics that have been discussed regarding Parker.
He put them together very succinctly, props on a great article.:toast

jag
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
It's really a nice article putting things in perspective. However for the spurs and for his career TP must try to improve his playmaking for the others in his arsenal especially in the fast breaks. If on top of that he can develop a reliable 3 pointer, you can expect for him to have a long carreer at high level.

His playmaking ability on fast breaks has never been a problem. In fact, I've always considered it one of his strong points (the half-court is another issue).

As far as him developing a three-point shot, i dont think it's going to happen. He's been working on it with Chip for the past few years and it's not something he's been able to work into his game. I just don't think he has the range or strength to be accurate from deep.

Brazil
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM
His playmaking ability on fast breaks has never been a problem. In fact, I've always considered it one of his strong points (the half-court is another issue).

As far as him developing a three-point shot, i dont think it's going to happen. He's been working on it with Chip for the past few years and it's not something he's been able to work into his game. I just don't think he has the range or strength to be accurate from deep.

Well this season at least I thought he still doesn't use enough RJ for instance.

For the 3 point shooting I don't know he is working on it since a while but he doesn't try it in games. I confess it's quite hard to understand he has a lot of opportunities to do so without jeopardizing the final result maybe he doesn't trust his shooting enough. But you're right it exists also the possibility that he doesn't have the range but if Nate can do it I guess he can and he is already shooting long 2 quite well.

hater
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry but Parker is great and an allstar but not a leader. He's just not made for that.

Pop, Duncan, Manu are this team's leaders.

dbestpro
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Okay, I get that Parker is who he is offensively and he won't be successful if he tries to be someone else. But, can we expect him to be more defensively, as it seems Pop is starting to do, or should we blow this off our wish list, too?

in2deep
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Okay, I get that Parker is who he is offensively and he won't be successful if he tries to be someone else. But, can we expect him to be more defensively, as it seems Pop is starting to do, or should we blow this off our wish list, too?

I crossed that off a few years ago

ElNono
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Actually, this guy is not very bright trying to make points.
Magic Johnson was a 'traditional point guard' (averaged 11 apg) and he accounted for 5 NBA titles. But I digress. Are we going to measure player success merely by ring count? Is Glenn 'Big Dog' Robinson better than John Stockton? Ridiculous.

The reality is that Tony is a great scorer, but his basketball IQ is still not high enough to know when to pick his spots. With certain lineups it's better to just go at it alone. When some other teammates are out there, then passing might be the better option. He needs to learn when it's OK to go at it alone against 3 other players, or when to back up and set a play.
He has improved from early in the season with respect to this. I do want TP to be who he is: primarily a scorer. But when his shot is not there, or some other teammate is hot, we all want him to be smart enough to draw and kick instead of go smashing against 3 opposing players.

His defense is a completely different story, which I think it's beyond what we're discussing in this thread...

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Actually, this guy is not very bright trying to make points.
Magic Johnson was a 'traditional point guard' (averaged 11 apg) and he accounted for 5 NBA titles. But I digress. Are we going to measure player success merely by ring count? Is Glenn 'Big Dog' Robinson better than John Stockton? Ridiculous.

The reality is that Tony is a great scorer, but his basketball IQ is still not high enough to know when to pick his spots. With certain lineups it's better to just go at it alone. When some other teammates are out there, then passing might be the better option. He needs to learn when it's OK to go at it alone against 3 other players, or when to back up and set a play.
He has improved from early in the season with respect to this. I do want TP to be who he is: primarily a scorer. But when his shot is not there, or some other teammate is hot, we all want him to be smart enough to draw and kick instead of go smashing against 3 opposing players.

His defense is a completely different story, which I think it's beyond what we're discussing in this thread...

Just a few points:

1) I think you missed the point entirely. The fact you bring up Magic shows this. He is referencing the change in the game today. Name a PG that has more titles than TP recently? Another PG that has titles in this more modern era is Fisher and he is a score first PG as well. The point is that the "perception" of what a true point guard is is less important that what wins. What wins is building on your strengths and building around TP has been a recipe for success.

2) He was not using titles as a measuring stick. Someone who writes that type of article knows better. What he meant is people need to put things in perspective. But what you have to consider is that TP has a special talent and the goal is to help your team win. TP does that in a major way.

NFGIII
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard

Players are staying in front of Parker, or at least bumping him enough to allow the help to recover. They’re stripping him repeatedly on drives while it doesn’t appear defenses are doing anything new.
At least three Parker trademarks have been noticeably absent this season. When was the last time you can recall one of his patented spin moves in the lane? Or a “Euro-step” on a fast break that actually created separation from the defender? Even the teardrop has appeared less.

Initially i thought he was questioning his speed and I felt it was too early in the season to see if TP has lost any speed. Apparantly he wasn't. Just that he isn't 100 % as of yet. And he may have or not have lost speed but I'm convinced that he hasn't fully recovered from his ankle injury last summer. TP over the course of his career has shown that he turns it up during the second half of the season. And from what I've seen in the last 5 or so games he is getting back to his old form. I think the combination of his ankle, possible fatigue from the summer Euro ball and his willingness to try to integrate the new players by passing more made him a little passive in the beginning of the season. The spacing seems to be much better and TP is attacking the rim more. RJ is now getting more looks and Manu is getting his mojo back, too.

TP is like the old tiger - can't change his stripes so use him accordingly. Hey, his contibutions and style of play have brought the Spurs 3 rings, right? Well maybe 2 since his performance in '03 wasn't that steller against the Nets.

Anyway he is what he is and to try to change him into something he isn't makes no sense. When his speed is going then is the time to consider another option. Once TP's speed decreases his effectiveness would drastically go down. I, of course, would love to trade TP just before that happens in order to get the max value out of him but when can you really say he's on the downside of his career? Tough call for any FO/coach to make about any star player.

This team is slowly coming together and once they get truly in sync then this league had better watch out. No only can this team score but more importantly their D is beginning to come together. That's the scary part if I was on another team. Spurs D coming back!

ElNono
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Just a few points:

1) I think you missed the point entirely. The fact you bring up Magic shows this. He is referencing the change in the game today. Name a PG that has more titles than TP recently? Another PG that has titles in this more modern era is Fisher and he is a score first PG as well. The point is that the "perception" of what a true point guard is is less important that what wins. What wins is building on your strengths and building around TP has been a recipe for success.

But your point is a fallacy. The Spurs were not TP's team during the championship seasons. So his crowning achievement is to be the PG of the Spurs during the Duncan era?
You have to be an incredible homer to claim that swapping TP for CP3 or DWill (provided they would have been available then) would have not yielded a championship also. Especially before 2007, when TP used to simply disappear for stretches during the playoffs.

2) He was not using titles as a measuring stick. Someone who writes that type of article knows better. What he meant is people need to put things in perspective. But what you have to consider is that TP has a special talent and the goal is to help your team win. TP does that in a major way.

But he did bring up ring count... and so did you in your previous point.
You don't need to bring out the fact that TP won more rings than other PG's by riding a star's coattails to make a point that the Spurs might be better served by a scoring PG vs a pass-first PG...

Josepatches_
01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Parker can score 25 ppg and the team suck.We saw it last year.That's not the way.If he plays only for him we can forget the season.

Parker has to know when he has to score and when he has to pass the ball.It's not to be a shoot-first PG or to be a pass-first PG.

IMO the ball 85% of the time in TP's hands is a problem for us.We aren't the Phoenix Suns.We are not made for catch and shoot.

The Truth #6
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
To say that a traditional point guard isn't needed to win a title is technically true, but what the author doesn't seem to admit is that there are almost NO traditional point guards left in the league - maybe 2 or 3 and that's it. During the Magic era there were plenty of quality of point guards.

Every year some team is going to win the title. That's obvious. But just because the title winning team doesn't have a traditional point guard doesn't mean that traditional point guard skills aren't very useful.

As for whether Parker needs to change his game - if Tony can play like the player he was last year then we wouldn't be having this discussion. But only within the last 4 or 5 games has he shown flashes of his former dominant self. No one has a problem with Parker playing his game at a superstar level. But if his game is severely off, then the inadequacies of his game become glaring and people start to notice, which is basically what happened this year.

The author is correct in that there's no reason to try and change Parker. However, I would agree with that only out of practicality. If I thought Parker could improve his playmaking ability without becoming a total mess, then I would say this is something he should pursue. But as it is, with Parker being fairly set in his approach to the game, it's not worth it to try and coach him now. I think this holds Parker back from being a HOF player but makes him very effective in the Spurs system, that is, when he's healthy and producing at a high level. The fact that he often can't execute a high school level 3 on 2 fast break is odd to me, but I think his other strengths more than make up for it. Usually.

DAF86
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM

His playmaking ability on fast breaks is equal or worst than in the halfcourt. When he gets into a fast break he sees the basket and nothing else (usually the play ends up well anyways because of his speed and "finishing" abilities but he rarely passes the ball on a fast break.)

And I agree with the article: Parker needs to be himself, if he tries to do something else he will suck, every player sucks trying to do something he doesn't feel comfortable doing.

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 07:00 PM
But your point is a fallacy. The Spurs were not TP's team during the championship seasons. So his crowning achievement is to be the PG of the Spurs during the Duncan era?
You have to be an incredible homer to claim that swapping TP for CP3 or DWill (provided they would have been available then) would have not yielded a championship also. Especially before 2007, when TP used to simply disappear for stretches during the playoffs.

It is not a fallacy. He won a finals MVP. No one is saying that CP3 and Will are not better than TP, but the offense is designed around TP. What has D-Will or CP3 done in the playoffs but disappear?

But he did bring up ring count... and so did you in your previous point.
You don't need to bring out the fact that TP won more rings than other PG's by riding a star's coattails to make a point that the Spurs might be better served by a scoring PG vs a pass-first PG...

Ring count was brought up to show you that pining for something traditional which has become somewhat outdated is a little ridiculous considering the Spurs have and can continue to win with what they have. TP.

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't really how that's fair though..

Parker has never been the #1 option on any of the Spurs title teams outside of the 2007 Finals..he wasn't a major factor in 2003 and he was the #3 guy in 2005..

He's been a huge part of what we do, but the system has always been built around Duncan..it's a lot easier to build a system around a top 10 all-time guy and a brilliant coach in Pop..he could have built a system around any top PG IMO, whether he was a pass-first guy or a shoot-first guy..

I give TP a lot of credit for being a great player, I just have to disagree if anybody thinks we wouldn't have won with Deron or Paul or Nash(not directed at DPG since he didn't directly say that, just saying)..

I do agree with the overall premise of the article though..I don't agree when so many people think Parker should change his style to pass-first PG..I do believe that having a pass-first PG is overrated in certain situations, the Spurs being one of them..we've never needed one, and we don't now..it just comes down to understanding when to pick your spots..

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 07:10 PM
That is what I was saying. The point was not to say TP is the best PG in the league or that the Spurs could not have won by replacing TP with a Williams or Paul. The point of the article is to build around your strengths and TP's strengths have helped win titles. It would be foolish to bring someone else in now with the window the Spurs have.

It would also be foolish to change what TP does. Instead of that, find ways to bring it all together.

ElNono
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
It is not a fallacy. He won a finals MVP. No one is saying that CP3 and Will are not better than TP, but the offense is designed around TP. What has D-Will or CP3 done in the playoffs but disappear?

He won a Finals MVP in 2003 and 2005? News to me...

Ring count was brought up to show you that pining for something traditional which has become somewhat outdated is a little ridiculous considering the Spurs have and can continue to win with what they have. TP.

We won a championship with Avery Johnson and Speedy Claxton running the point... that should tell you that the difference makers were somewhere else...
And this is no knock on Tony. He has evolved as a player since his early days with the silver and black, and he still has many years in front of him to increase his basketball IQ. But that's all this conversation really amounts to: You can't teach basketball smarts. You learn by experience, and I have no doubt that a better Tony Parker will come out of this season.

Bukefal
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Great read! Parker should just be Parker. Let's hope he will be his old self again soon. By looking at him these recent games, it seems its coming close.

wildbill2u
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Parker is Still great and still dangerous on offense... BUT teams have learned that they can limit Parker and hence the Spurs by loading up the lane with a zone defense. He can't drive and often goes cold on his jumper. Forget his so-called 3 pt shot. He doesn't have the range.

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Parker's jumper is pretty money. He has struggles some this year, but I expect it to get back to last years level.

ElNono
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Parker's jumper is pretty money. He has struggles some this year, but I expect it to get back to last years level.

Hate to be an asshole with you, but he's shooting 37% from distance (20% in the clutch)... He's far out the worst shooter in the team (Hill coming in second at 41%). LINK (http://www.82games.com/0910/09SAS1.HTM)

The good news is that even with his crappy shooting we're scoring over 100 points a game. So if he starts hitting, then we should look great.

DPG21920
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
That is not being an asshole, it is him struggling like I said. His jumper is much improved over the years and it should turn around this year.