PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Shooting won't make highlight reel

Kori Ellis
04-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Spurs Notebook: Shooting won't make highlight reel
Web Posted: 04/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042605.6D.spurs.notebook.213a9f683.html

After going more 10 minutes without a basket in Sunday's fourth quarter, the Spurs concluded, not surprisingly, they might want to improve their shot selection.

"I think we can do a better job of creating for others instead of taking contested shots," Bruce Bowen said. "That's something we spoke about before the series started: Make the shot easier for your teammates, or get the easiest shot for your team.

"Maybe that's you going all the way (to the basket). Or, maybe that's you breaking down the defense so you can kick it out to somebody for a wide-open shot."

The Spurs missed 17 of 21 shots in the final quarter. Eleven of the misses were from within 8 feet.

Denver wasn't much better, missing 13 of its 19 fourth-quarter attempts. For the game, the Spurs outshot the Nuggets 42percent to 41.5 percent.

"Neither one of us shot worth a darn," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Waiting in the wings: The Spurs don't expect the cavalry to come riding in anytime soon.

Popovich said he doubts either Rasho Nesterovic or Devin Brown will play Wednesday.

Nesterovic likely will at least be available in case too many of the Spurs' other big men run into foul trouble.

Out of gas: Popovich thought Tim Duncan probably was a bit fatigued at the end of Sunday's game.

Duncan hadn't played 35 minutes since March 16. He missed all seven of his fourth-quarter shots, three of which were close to the basket.

"All that matters is they didn't go in," Popovich said.

Not-so-full house: The Spurs' home-court advantage might be less of one Wednesday. As of Monday morning, almost 2,000 tickets were still available for Game 2. The Spurs have never failed to sell out a playoff game in the SBC Center.

Denver sold out all three of its possible first-round games in 45 minutes Saturday.

Across enemy lines: Denver point guard Andre Miller played one season with Danny Ferry in Cleveland.

As it turns out, the Spurs might have reason to partially blame their assistant general manager for Miller's 31-point performance on Sunday.

"I learned a lot from Danny," Miller said. "I got a chance to watch him shoot. He always offered tips and things."

Najera to return: Nuggets forward Eduardo Najera, who was held out of Game 1 with a fracture in his right hand, should be ready to play Wednesday, Denver coach George Karl said.

Happy tourists: With two nights off between playoff games, some wondered if the Nuggets would rather be spending that downtime in a city better known for its nightlife.

But Denver guard Andre Miller said he enjoys San Antonio's laid-back style.

"I like San Antonio, and I think the guys like San Antonio. There's things we can do, whether it's go out to eat or go to the River Walk or something like that."

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
: The Spurs' home-court advantage might be less of one Wednesday. As of Monday morning, almost 2,000 tickets were still available for Game 2. The Spurs have never failed to sell out a playoff game in the SBC Center.

Maybe other people in San Antonio are getting fed up with Pop's offense too.

Kori Ellis
04-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Oh God AHF, get off of it.

firepopovich
04-26-2005, 01:44 AM
no dont get off it i agree 100%

alamo50
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
That's pathetic!

Rummpd
04-26-2005, 11:50 AM
You all in SA sack up and support team.

Come on fill the place.

GrandeDavid
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Sell out those home tickets, San Antonio. That's f-ing embarrassing. If I were in town right now I'd be attending every damn home game. Goodness gracious.

Man In Black
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I saw Wes Person yesterday at Rivercenter. He was wearing Silver & Black strangely enough following his girl who was telling him where she wanted to go.

MadDog73
04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Maybe other people in San Antonio are getting fed up with Pop's offense too.

Yep, it's Pop's fault the Spurs missed all those 8 foot jumpers :rolleyes

Lord, sometimes I hope the Spurs do fire Pop, just so the team goes down in flames and people will actually appreciate him.

(I don't really hope that, but some "fans" here deserve it).

ggoose25
04-26-2005, 12:47 PM
fuck pop

it doesnt matter whether we win or lose

San Antonio needs to get behind this team and buy those tickets, or else wtf good is HCA? The wealthy courtside ticket holders need to get rowdy and do something other than mildly clap if we want to help our team out. I vote to get Peter Holt liquored up and have him throw a bottle of Jack Daniels out on the court.

WE NEED SOME FIRE IN THE SBC

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 09:32 PM
You all in SA sack up and support team.

Come on fill the place.

There's a difference between supporting the team and realize Pop is a fucking idiot when it comes to running an offense.

I don't think anyone wants Pop fired. Just to admit he sucks at offense and bring in someone to deal with it for him.

T Park
04-26-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't think anyone wants Pop fired

No not anyone we know.

Just to admit he sucks at offense and bring in someone to deal with it for him

Like the non existent free throw coach??

oh they brought in free throw coaches??

not a peep since then.....

Get the fuck off of it already.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 09:56 PM
You're a fucking dork, you know that right?

Like I said, maybe when Duncan retires with a whopping two fucking rings thanks to Pop's offense you'll get it.

Nah, nevermind, you're not that smart. You'll still be blaming it on Eva or whatever the fuck the Express-News hangs the blame on.

T Park
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
You'll still be blaming it on Eva

I am??

Might want to reread the forum there Ace.

BTW, why so silent on the Free Throw coach???

Ohhh yeah, talkin out your ass as per usual.

BTW, take Kori's advice.

Oh God AHF, get off of it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm not talking about free throws because we're not going 0 for fucking 17 from the FT line, like our offense.

Come on, you're not that fucking stupid, are you?

BTW, bring a fucking take for once, Echo boy. You're the Grand Canyon of this site. Someone else speaks, and you copy and paste. Give it a fucking rest, Popsucker.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:04 PM
hahaha.

The village idiot babbles, yet no one cares.

Keep babbling, your makin yourself look genius there aggie.

I find it funny how everytime we lose its "On Pop" but when we win

Ginobili, Parker, Duncan, DAMN they stepped up.

I never ask for credit for POp, because ill state for the millionth time fuckwad, I dont think he should get much credit either way.

The players play, and they missed open layups.

If that is pop's fault, then there is alot of bad fuckin coaches in the league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Yo, Tpark, in case you hadn't noticed, it's pretty much 50-50 on Pop.

Fuck, I even gave Pop props in the game thread the other night, but then he had to go and fuck it up in the fourth, so suck my dick.

[qoute]If that is pop's fault, then there is alot of bad fuckin coaches in the league.[/quote]

Well there's one making him look like a chump working on just half a season, doesn't say much for Pop's tenure, does it?

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:14 PM
but then he had to go and fuck it up in the fourth, so suck my dick

your intelligence is just overwhelming.

I even gave Pop props in the game thread the other night

For what, the fuckin offense didn't change any.

All that changed were they didn't fuckin fall.

I hope he does quit or get fired, then we bring in some genius like Mike Montgomery from college, then itll be Stephen Jackson all over again.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 10:18 PM
then itll be Stephen Jackson all over again.

Yeah, winning a fucking championship sure sucked, dumbass.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:54 PM
No, meaning that we will regret it big time when that person leaves.

But, to each his own.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Fucking shit. I don't want him to leave. Pop's a defensive genius. He just doesn't know what the hell he's doing at the other end.

There's a reason God made assistant coaches, use one for offense or something. Sheesh.

T Park
04-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I think PJ draws up the offensive plays.

Sheesh.

Hey that is my tag line, get your own.

"T Park is a popccocksucking homer" is much better, thanks.