PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs see lack of physical play against Nuggets

Kori Ellis
04-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Spurs see lack of physical play against Nuggets
Web Posted: 04/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042605.1D.spurs.21393ed2c.html

For more than 2 1/2 hours Monday afternoon, the Spurs sat in the theater at their practice facility as coach Gregg Popovich paused-and-played his way through the team's playoff-opening loss to Denver.

The Spurs watched as Nuggets point guard Andre Miller sprung free off pick-and-rolls. They watched Carmelo Anthony out-jump them to take two offensive rebounds. They saw some of the 17 consecutive shots they missed.

While the film session wasn't quite as tedious as a screening of "The English Patient," Popovich would have preferred to see more action just the same.

"In the end," Popovich said, "I thought they played a more physical game than we did."

While Sunday's opener of the best-of-seven, first-round series didn't look like it belonged, as Bruce Bowen said, in the rough-and-tumble Miami-New York meetings of years past, it did leave its mark on the Spurs. Nazr Mohammed needed four stitches to close a cut above his right eye after Robert Horry was knocked into him under the basket. Tim Duncan required three after getting his chin split open.

Nuggets guard Gregg Buckner also was left dazed for a few moments after Manu Ginobili caught him in the head with an elbow while driving to the basket.

"The knock on San Antonio is they don't really play physical," Nuggets center Marcus Camby said. "We tried to come in with a strong identity.

"They were shooting elbows. We were throwing elbows back ... That just shows you we're a team and we're not backing down from anybody."

The Spurs have realized as much heading into Wednesday's Game 2. Denver scored 19 points off 15 offensive rebounds, six of which came in the final quarter. Popovich was more concerned about the Nuggets' second-chance opportunities — and his team's 17 turnovers — than he was the Spurs' 10-minute drought in the fourth quarter.

"Physicality means different things to different people," Popovich said. "It doesn't have anything to do with beating your chest or hitting people. It just means being more focused in making cuts, in posting up, in blocking out, setting picks."

In addition to Camby, who blocked four shots and grabbed 12 rebounds Sunday, the Nuggets start 6-foot-9 forward Kenyon Martin, a former Eastern Conference All-Star. Nen๊ and Eduardo Najera, who didn't play in Game 1, provide more size off the bench. Guards Andre Miller and Buckner also are known for their toughness.

"We have to match their physicality," said Mohammed, who provided 15 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks in his Spurs playoff debut. "We can't really worry about the refs. The refs will tell you if they're being too physical. You have to go out there and let them bring you down instead of having to be brought up."

With Duncan limited by his sore right ankle, the Spurs realize their margin for error is smaller than in past years. Duncan contributed 18 points and 11 rebounds Sunday, but he missed 15 of 22 shots.

"It's not just Tim Duncan," Glenn Robinson said. "That's where I come in. That's where Brent Barry, that's where Ginobili, that's where everybody comes in. We all have to take up the slack."

That includes Tony Parker, who finished with 12 points and almost as many turnovers (five) as assists (six). Miller also manhandled him, scoring 24 of his 31 points in the first half. Too often, Popovich said, the Spurs let Miller loose off pick-and-rolls.

As if Parker didn't already have enough problems, TNT showed him with "Desperate Housewives" star Eva Longoria when he arrived at the SBC Center. He also was wearing a Spurs 2003 championship T-shirt.

TNT analyst Charles Barkley chastised Parker for his casualness.

"The only time you get to think about the game is on your way to the game," Barkley said. "Sometimes my mom rode to the game with me when she was visiting, and she bugged me to death."

Parker declined comment Monday.

"I think he'll respond in the way he's capable of responding," Bowen said. "But for any insight on that, you'll have to talk to him."

Popovich hopes to see more from all his players.

"I would imagine," he said, "they'll come back with a little bit more fire, a little bit more juice."

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Popovich was more concerned about the Nuggets' second-chance opportunities — and his team's 17 turnovers — than he was the Spurs' 10-minute drought in the fourth quarter.

Great, get ready for loss #2 Wednesday.

Kori Ellis
04-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Well that's actually a logical statement by Pop. Missing uncontested chip shots in the 0-for-17 run isn't something to worry about. Correcting things like turnovers is.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Denver scored 19 points off 15 offensive rebounds, six of which came in the final quarter.

What did I tell you guys at Bennigans?

Seriously, I love Nazr. But he KILLS the Spurs at times with his shit at the defensive end. God, bring back Rasho now.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Great, get ready for loss #2 Wednesday.

AHF, are you daft?

Of course those were the biggest reason why we lost. Just look at the end of the 2nd Q. That is where the game was lost. Why, because of turnovers in the last 20 secs. 2 turnovers gave them 6 pts, and a ton of confidence at halftime. Had we held onto the ball, we could have been up 6-9 pts at the half instead of tied. In the 4th Q, they had 2 huge )O rebs and subsequent scores around the 4 min mark that got them within 2 and tied the game.

Had we gotten those rebs, it would not have mattered that we shot horribly, because we would have had the lead.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Kori, when the only thing I see Pop say regarding our offense is that "neither one of us shot worth a darn", I get worried.

The first step in correcting a problem is admitting you have one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Look Jim, I know we need to rebound better. I know we need to play better D. But just once, I'd like to see Pop treat our offense as more than an afterthought.

Hell, call it coachspeak if you want, just flatter me for once. Why the fuck is it that Solid D can make a post about our offense and being worried if Pop doesn't speak up about our offensive issues and be praised for it, but if I'm critical I'm just hating?

Kori Ellis
04-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Why the fuck is it that Solid D can make a post about our offense and being worried if Pop doesn't speak up about our offensive issues and be praised for it, but if I'm critical I'm just hating?

Because you've spent the last four years hating -- your reputation precedes you. You bitch, that's what you do. It's not a bad thing. :)

timvp
04-26-2005, 01:03 AM
I hate it when Pop goes to his "Well, we just missed shots" line. He's gone to it in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004. It gets damn old.

Denver's D was forcing the Spurs to do things they didn't want to do. They made Manu drive right. They made Parker contend with Camby. They didn't give Bowen any looks. They knew to pressure Beno full court.

It's not just the Spurs had wide open shots that they missed. That's the end result of a series of events.

tddunks01
04-26-2005, 01:04 AM
What did I tell you guys at Bennigans?

Seriously, I love Nazr. But he KILLS the Spurs at times with his shit at the defensive end. God, bring back Rasho now

dumbass its not just nazr fault, last time i remember he was the only one who showed up to play. rebounding has to be done by all five, if they do there part then theyll be fine.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah AHF, we need to score, that is true, but if they rebound and do not turn over the ball, that will lead to more offensive possessions and more chances to score. The Spurs have had 2 HORRIBLE scoring droughts in the plaYOFFS where they could not throw it in the ocean, the first one against Utah in 94 when they went a whole quarter just about w/o a FG and got blown out, and on Sunday.

They will not have that problem again for a long time....but they can have problems with TOs and poor rebounding on the D glass, and that is a concern that they can remedy with more effort and concentration....shooting will all even out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
You bitch, that's what you do. It's not a bad thing.

I really want to be happy. I really want to eat crow. I just wish Pop would step up and help me out on that one.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
dumbass its not just nazr fault, last time i remember he was the only one who showed up to play. rebounding has to be done by all five, if they do there part then theyll be fine.
Defensive rebounding is not the job of 5 players, but 3. You're frontcourt is primarly responsible for defensive rebounding. Nazr was out of position all night long, but people don't see that. All they see is 15 and 15 and they don't notice how he allowed several offensive rebounds and subseqent scores.

So, dumbass, maybe you should learn a little about basketball before running your mouth.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:12 AM
timvp, shooting is not a problem that can be fixed with more effort, it happens from time to time when teams just suck at shooting for a time and it is contagious, because everyone wants to stop the drought and they start thinking about making a basket instead of just playing good bball.

If they work on what they do have control over(reb and TOs) the shooting will come around and they will win, and win big.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Defensive rebounding is not the job of 5 players, but 3. You're frontcourt is primarly responsible for defensive rebounding. Nazr was out of position all night long, but people don't see that. All they see is 15 and 15 and they don't notice how he allowed several offensive rebounds and subseqent scores.

So, dumbass, maybe you should learn a little about basketball before running your mouth.

All great teams have guards that rebound the ball....everyone needs to rebound.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 01:16 AM
The Spurs have had 2 HORRIBLE scoring droughts in the plaYOFFS where they could not throw it in the ocean, the first one against Utah in 94 when they went a whole quarter just about w/o a FG and got blown out, and on Sunday.

Jim, we've come up with multiple single digit fourth quarters in the past couple of years against LA. Sorry, it's more than a fluke.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 01:17 AM
All great teams have guards that rebound the ball....everyone needs to rebound.
And against a fast break team your guards getting rebounds is going to kill you because they aren't back guarding the break

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
And against a fast break team your guards getting rebounds is going to kill you because they aren't back guarding the break

Hellooooo......we are talking about defensive rebounding....where are they going to fastbreak....to our basket?

:rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Everyone crash the defensive boards and block out...it is so easy to do, you just do it. On the long rebs, the guards still blockout, so their guards do not get the rebs....simple bball really.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Fuck, I'm really fucking stupid. The dude above is right. I AM a dumbass. I'm going to go finish off the bottle from Fall Creek and pass the fuck out now.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Fuck, I'm really fucking stupid. The dude above is right. I AM a dumbass. I'm going to go finish off the bottle from Fall Creek and pass the fuck out now.

pass the bottle.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2005, 01:35 AM
If they work on what they do have control over(reb and TOs) the shooting will come around and they will win, and win big.
Or they'll continue to miss shots and clank a couple of free throws until they hit a three pointer in garbage time to make it look closer.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Or they'll continue to miss shots and clank a couple of free throws until they hit a three pointer in garbage time to make it look closer.

so, what would you suggest??? Get new players right now? Let's see, is Kerr available to come back? look, we have the players that won 59 games, players that shot well all year, they had a bad stretch when it counted, that does not mean that they have forgotten how to shoot. As I said, it was contagious, they started to think about making the shot instead of being the pros that they normally are and just make plays and compete.

All the whining and moaning in the world will do nothing to help poor shooting, but hussling and using their heads will eliminate the problem in the 2 areas that they have can control and that is rebounding and eliminating or limiting turnovers. It is nothing new, they were great at both this year and they can do it again.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that they will outrebound Denver the rest of the series and have less turnovers, and that will carry them to victory.

whottt
04-26-2005, 08:14 AM
AHF...you are dead on.

It's funny how even though the chokers may change, the result remains the same, and it's only Pop that remains...

But hey, there was that time Kerr came in and shot 70% from 3 and we won a title.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
AHF...you are dead on.

It's funny how even though the chokers may change, the result remains the same, and it's only Pop that remains...

But hey, there was that time Kerr came in and shot 70% from 3 and we won a title.

How many coaches in the league have won 2 championships?

I can think of only one.

You guys are lost your freaking minds.

CosmicCowboy
04-26-2005, 08:41 AM
I am sure these guys will do WHATEVER it takes not to have to sit through another 2 1/2 hours with Pop watching film...:lol

whottt
04-26-2005, 08:46 AM
How many coaches in the league have won 2 championships?

I can think of only one.

How many coaches have had Duncan and Robinson?

I can think of only one.

Conversely....

How many coaches have been blown out and swept in the conference finals by the worst margin in NBA history?

Only one.

How many coaches have gone up 2-0 against a road team and then lost 4 in a row?

There might be more than 1, but it's a short list.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
How many coaches have the best winning percentage in the NBA right now?

How many coaches have won more playoff games than any coaches right now?

How many coaches have the best playoff winning percentage right now?

BigVee
04-26-2005, 08:59 AM
I think the "we just missed shots" is bullshit too. Pop always plays his best defensive team the last 6 minutes during the playoffs..if they happen to not be shooting well, then it turns into a nail biter, we have all seen lots of times. Normally they make enough shots to win and everyone praises the defense. Well say what you want but the defense was fine in the 4th on Sun. Nuggets scored 20...with 6 coming on foul giveaways at the end, so 14 really. You ought to win. But, no shooters in the game...No Horry, Robinson, Barry, etc... With this coach, this will not change.

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 09:08 AM
But,]no shooters in the game...No Horry, Robinson, Barry, etc... With this coach, this will not change.

No shooters???

How many games has Manu , TP and TD won for us over the years????

Bowen had his best shooting year of his career, he is the best 3 pt shooter on the team at over 40%.

How many games did TP win with a driving layup or an assist?

How many games has Manu won with a great drive and foul or a 2 pt shot?

Has the big fella been forgotten already????

:rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
You fucking bitches need to take some Prozac and grow up.

whottt
04-26-2005, 09:11 AM
How many coaches have the best winning percentage in the NBA right now?

How many coaches have had Tim Duncan and David Robinson?

How many coaches have won more playoff games than any coaches right now?

I agree...the number of playoff wins George Karl and Rick Adelman have without ever having a big the caliber of Duncan or Robinson is impressive...

Hell, Karl did that with Glenn Robinson as a starter...Pop can't even do it with Dogg coming off the bench.

How many coaches have the best playoff winning percentage right now?

I agree, Scott Skiles, JVG, Nate McMillian, and SVG have done an admirable job this season.

whottt
04-26-2005, 09:13 AM
How many 59 win teams dropped their first playoff game against a 7 seed?

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Whottt, Skiles does not have enough games to be statistically elgible.

Pop can coach, his teams are always in top 3 in the league in defense, scoring differential and wins.

Pop has had TD, yes, but how many coaches have had superstars of his calibre and still not won????? Sloan? Flip? Brown, until last year? VG?

GrandeDavid
04-26-2005, 09:18 AM
How many coaches have had Duncan and Robinson?

I can think of only one.

Conversely....

How many coaches have been blown out and swept in the conference finals by the worst margin in NBA history?

Only one.

How many coaches have gone up 2-0 against a road team and then lost 4 in a row?

There might be more than 1, but it's a short list.

Ouch! Great comeback, Whottt. The facts speak volumes. Damn.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
"Well, we just missed shots"

So once again, it is Pop's fault when Duncan misses chip shots, Parker Ginobili pass up layups, and Brent Barry stands out at the three point line holding his dick not wanting to shoot??

Good good.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Well,

lets go ahead fire pop, and bring back BOB Hill.

His offense was stellar, and we won so fuckin much.

You guys are fuckin idiots.

Defensive rebounds and turnovers KILLED the team.

Missing short, and open shots, KILLED the team.

Nope, its Pop. Ok, I fuckin give up.

Louae
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM

All five players need to rebound to secure the defensive stop. On offense, I can see how your argument holds water.

TDfan2007
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
REBOUNDING REBOUNDING REBOUNDING!!!!!!!

That is what we have to do as a team. And considering that Tony and Manu take their heads out of their asses on D Wednesday we will win even with a shitty shooting night.

Also, Tim needs to realize that he is hurt and Camby rides him like a bitch down low and the refs don't call shit... so pass the damn ball!!!! :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2005, 09:35 PM
You know what sucks about this? When Tim Duncan retires somewhere down the road and we only have two rings to show for it thanks to Pop's sorry ass fucking offense, dickheads like Tpark will still be defending Pop for squandering the career of the greatest PF of all time, playing along with the greatest Spurs backcourt of all time.

But I still will have not coached an NBA game, so they'll say I'm wrong.

Fuck it.