PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Gooden performing well for Mavs

Blackjack
01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Gooden performing well for Mavs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Gooden_performing_well_for_Mavs.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Spurs team physician Dr. David Schmidt got a visit from former Spur Drew Gooden in the second quarter of Friday's game against the Mavericks, when he was asked to put Gooden's dislocated right ring finger back in place.

Not long after, Schmidt was asked to pay a second house call to put some stitches in Gooden's chin.

“I told Drew, ‘If you wanted to visit me so badly, you should have come to see me before the game,'” Schmidt said.

Gooden, now a key reserve for the Mavericks, scored 10 points, six of them on tip-ins, and had eight rebounds.

Gooden, who played the final 19 games of the 2008-09 season in silver and black, was available to the Mavericks in September when the Spurs couldn't re-sign him.

“At the time we were talking to him, it could not be worked out contractually, so we weren't able to do it,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “But he's talented, energetic and has done a great job for (the Mavericks).”

Mavericks' coach Rick Carlisle is thrilled to have the 6-foot-10, 250-pound veteran from Kansas.

“He's been really important for us,” Carlisle said. “He's been a part-time starter. Damp (Erick Dampier) missed 10 or 12 games and he filled in during a very important stretch and he played great during that stretch.

“More importantly, he's really taken on the challenge of coming off the bench and being a guy that gives us great energy. He helps generate possessions and makes simple plays. That's where he's really been important for us.”

Hill gets mad: Spurs backup guard George Hill drew a technical foul after going chest-to-chest with Mavericks guard Jason Terry in the third quarter of Friday's game. Usually stoic, Hill accused Terry of intentionally trying to trip him after the two players had scrambled after a loose ball. Terry also drew a technical.

“I just thought it was a dirty play,” Hill said. “I thought he tried to trip me on purpose.

“I know it's basketball and things happen, and I let my attitude get the best of me at the time.”

Rubbing it in: Some of the Spurs were none too happy when Mavericks center Erick Dampier, his team already ahead by nine points, fired up a 3-point shot that fell in the game's final seconds.

“Come on, man,” said Spurs veteran Antonio McDyess. “If you've got respect for the other team you don't (take that shot). I know the shot clock was running out, but that's just showboating to me. We'll remember that, too.”

Spursmania
01-09-2010, 01:23 AM
“Come on, man,” said Spurs veteran Antonio McDyess. “If you've got respect for the other team you don't (take that shot). I know the shot clock was running out, but that's just showboating to me. We'll remember that, too.”

Good Dice, then remember it and play some ball next time we play the Mavs. Thanks.

ElNono
01-09-2010, 01:24 AM

It would be nice if Dice would remember that he's a Spur and that he needs to show up to play. Dampier did.

mavsfan1000
01-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Good Dice, then remember it and play some ball next time we play the Mavs. Thanks.
Lol good point. Gooden can totally kill the flow of the offense and defense at times. But he seems to like playing the spurs for some reason. But it looks like Dice doesn't do anything out there.

EricB
01-09-2010, 01:27 AM
They can have Gooden. Good riddance.

DubMcDub
01-09-2010, 01:29 AM

This isn't high-school ball, McDyess. Nobody's concerned about sparing your poor little feelings.

silverspur50
01-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Drew Gooden has been playing well for the Mavs. Why didnt the Spurs resign him? Pop says they couldnt come to an "agreement" I think Pop just didnt like him! I never saw him play! He probably was always in Pop's doghouse for whatever reason....yet they continue to keep the likes of Finley!!! :king

timvp
01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
If Pop coached the Mavs, he would have Nazr'ed Dampier after the game and never play him again.

AFBlue
01-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Offensive black hole...doesn't fit the Spurs' concept of team play. He may be a flash in the pan for a game or two during the playoffs, but I think in the end he may do more harm than good for the Mavs.

Spursmania
01-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Nobody wants Gooden come crunch time.

mazerrackham
01-09-2010, 01:36 AM
He's a bundle of energy, which can be a good thing at times, but he's not savvy enough to play in the Spurs system. His game was selfish.

timvp
01-09-2010, 01:38 AM
As for Gooden, there's no doubt the guy is talented but he's such a blackhole on offense that it's comical. Counting last year with the Spurs and this year with the Mavs, Gooden has 14 assists. Total. In 975 minutes. To put that in perspective, Theo Ratliff -- easily the worst passer on the Spurs -- has seven assists this season in 154 minutes.

crc21209
01-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Please...Gooden is overrated trash and the Mavs can have him. For all the things he might do right he'll double that with mistakes. And as far as Dampier goes, I'm glad he hit that 3 and I hope he pissed the Spurs off after what happened tonight. There are certain things you just don't do in this game and that was one of them...I mean come on....the game was well over...

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Dampier's trying to get his money up for his next contract, good for him..if he wants to stat-pad with his team up and the game is virtually over, he earned it..

urunobili
01-09-2010, 08:04 AM
If Pop coached the Mavs, he would have Nazr'ed Dampier after the game and never play him again.

That was the end of Nazr's career witht he Spur and I hate the say it but if that incident wouldn't have happened he probably would have played int he series against the Mavs...:wow

Muser
01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Who the fuck does Dice think he is? If you want respect then play like you deserve some.

Spurs Brazil
01-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Next time remember to play some defense too

Chieflion
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't get you, Dice. Play like you want the respect. The only thing you provided against the Mavs were your 6 fouls. Matt Bonner can do what you did, or any other D-League guy like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I have heard a lot of crap about Dice being a slow starter but this is easily his worst start in years. Somehow, I don't buy this bullshit. He better know how to step his game up soon. It is already mid January.

Obstructed_View
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Of all the reasons for Antonio to feel embarrassed, Erick Dampier's three pointer should be way WAY down on the list. It's not like that embarrassment is undeserved anyway.

SenorSpur
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
McDyess' poor play cause many to question whether his signing was a good idea or whether the Spurs would've been better off re-signing Drew Gooden.

Based upon the comparison to date for their respective teams, an old McDyess isn't producing the results of a mid-career Gooden.

I hold out hope that Dice will come around consistently, but this short sample and most recent outing doesn't create much confidence. Meanwhile, it's tough watching Gooden put up double-doubles for your rival.

I-Ball
01-09-2010, 01:17 PM
somehow this is an odd comparison.

both, McDyess and Gooden, are role players. players, who have to fit into the team concept and are brought in to add certain strengths to your main players/pieces.

TD plays not like Dirk. Tony Parker is not like Kidd.
therefor the needs of the teams and the requirements towards the role players are different.

last year popovich had the chance (especially while practise) to see what Gooden could give the spurs. obviously it was not enough for a new contract this year (or at least not for his price tag).

spurs decided to let Gooden walk and go after McDyess. it was partly a risk, but a calculated one.

wildbill2u
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
As for Gooden, there's no doubt the guy is talented but he's such a blackhole on offense that it's comical. Counting last year with the Spurs and this year with the Mavs, Gooden has 14 assists. Total. In 975 minutes. To put that in perspective, Theo Ratliff -- easily the worst passer on the Spurs -- has seven assists this season in 154 minutes.

I made that 'blackhole" argument about Gooden when he was here, but now I'll make the argument that Gooden isn't in the game to make assists but as an energy guy on rebounding and instant offense.

You don't expect a lot assists from shooters who are put into the game for that ability.

I guess I'm just pissed that we pulled in another really old guy who doesn't seem to be pulling his weight as far as what was expected of him.

wildbill2u
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Everyone who thinks Gooden isn't an asset ought to read this article from the Dallas paper quoting his coaches and teammates. One game against Detroit he had 18 rebounds, 9 offensive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/010710dnspomavsdate.3147612.html

AFBlue
01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Everyone who thinks Gooden isn't an asset ought to read this article from the Dallas paper quoting his coaches and teammates. One game against Detroit he had 18 rebounds, 9 offensive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/010710dnspomavsdate.3147612.html

We have that guy, only he plays the game smarter, he's younger and he costs alot less. The only problem is that right now he starts. Long-term, I think DeJuan Blair is perfect as a sixth-man energy/rebounding guy off the bench for the Spurs.

It's hard to justify now because McDyess is in a slump, but he'll settle into his role and come out of it. As for Gooden though, his place was taken on this team when the Spurs drafted The Beast.