PDA

View Full Version : Wizards are having fire sale.

Buddy Holly
01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Everyone is on the market.

Finley and Bonner work for Haywood.

The Red Hood
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Do it.

lennyalderette
01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
screw it we need an allstar team to beat the refs and players at the same time

Mal
01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
If possible do it.

TIMMYD!
01-09-2010, 11:26 AM
This would be the thing that gets us over the hump. I would do it.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm tired of getting my hopes up. I'm ready to believe that this is the team we "ride" with to the bitter end :(

TDMVPDPOY
01-09-2010, 11:44 AM
dont they have oberto?

Bruno
01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/01/the-latest-trade-chatter.html

I also heard another rumor involving Butler and the Los Angeles Clippers, with the Wizards getting back Marcus Camby and his expiring contract. Since no player on the team is untouchable, I was informed that Brendan Haywood, Nick Young or anyone else could be had right now, but the Wizards don't want to take back salary. The team is not hesitating in its attempts to toss a grenade on the roster.

Wizards will have no use of Camby so you can imagine a three team trade with a third team getting Camby for expirings + some assets.

I find Camby damn overrated but He would help Spurs. I wouldn't like a trade where Spurs give up Hill or Blair for him but if they can get him for expirings + their 2010 first round pick, they should go after him.

Go For Tree
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
as long as we dont give up hill, blair, or one of the big 3 lets go for it.

antawn for the "gasol" price would be AMAZING.

Muser
01-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Jamison would be damn awesome.

Go For Tree
01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Jamison would be damn awesome.

Double shot on the rocks..... :toast

EricB
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Jamison doesn't fill a need other than small ball 4. Haywood theoretically fills a need but I'm curious as to who on the roster now minutes he takes. Blair's?

Muser
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Right now he'd take Dice's minutes.

The Red Hood
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Jamison doesn't fill a need other than small ball 4. Haywood theoretically fills a need but I'm curious as to who on the roster now minutes he takes. Blair's?

If any kind of trade were to happen for Haywood, Bonner would be included, Dice would then step into Bonner's role as the first (or second) big off the bench.

Shastafarian
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzad8qq

Go For Tree
01-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Jamison doesnt fill a need??? Pass what youre smoking this way amigo. That guy is one of the most underrated players of his era. Does everything you ask to help you win.

Now I like haywood too but Jamison i think would work even better here. This is the type of team that he can thrive on IMO.

Big P
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Everyone is on the market.

Finley and Bonner work for Haywood.

Brenda Haywood?? Why would you want that bum?? He doesn't have the class it takes to be a Spur.

Shastafarian
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Brenda Haywood?? Why would you want that bum?? He doesn't have the class it takes to be a Spur.

He's averaging 10 rebounds and 2.3 blocked shots in 30 minutes a game.

Big P
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
He's averaging 10 rebounds and 2.3 blocked shots in 30 minutes a game.

Thats great and all..he's averaging that on a horrible basketball team...problem is, he would not average anywhere close to that on the Spurs.

doobs
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm tired of hoping Finley gets traded. It never happens and I feel like I'm always disappointed for hoping it would happen.

Haywood would be cool. Trade Bonner and Finley, sign Bowen out of retirement (is that even possible?) . . . not bad.

Imagine the end-of-game lineup for closing teams out. Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Duncan-Haywood.

Shastafarian
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Thats great and all..he's averaging that on a horrible basketball team...problem is, he would not average anywhere close to that on the Spurs.

You think he blocks a bunch of shots because he's on a terrible team? :lol

Blackjack
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Wizards will have no use of Camby so you can imagine a three team trade with a third team getting Camby for expirings + some assets.

I find Camby damn overrated but He would help Spurs. I wouldn't like a trade where Spurs give up Hill or Blair for him but if they can get him for expirings + their 2010 first round pick, they should go after him.

First off, good to see you back, Bruno. Your posts have been missed.

And I agree.

For all the talk of potential contenders looking to acquire Camby to put them over the top, I've had a feeling that a team like the Wiz (a non-contender) would be the scenario that made the most sense for the Clips; they get a better return and the non-contender saves some cash to pocket (if they're hopeless) or put them in better position to remake their roster.

This might be the only scenario that could net the Spurs Camby; the Spurs would no doubt jump at the opportunity.

portnoy1
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Funny you should say that. Both of yall are kinda right. Haywood obviously plays D and he would do the same in SA. However the team around him can somethimes make him look better than he is. Andres biedrins put up solid numbers last season with the warriors. However he's the only big guy on the floor which boost his stats. In Denver Marcus Camby would play D well, but his teammates made him look good cause they would allow anyone to get into the lane and then he would block there shots. However in both situations the team defense is horrible. So knock those numbers down abit. Maybe Haywood goes for 6boards and a block a game with the spurs since he would have Duncan playing with him doing exactly the same thing.

Rob123
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM

By far one of the dumbest posts i've read in a while.

Haywood is one of the most underrated centers in the league. He's got a sweet jumper, and he bangs with the best of them down low.

Jamison does nothing good for this team except bring scoring. His defense is AWFUL. We need another defender in the paint, not a scorer.

Blackjack
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh, and I'd be more than happy to see McGuire find his way to SA; assuming they don't nab Wright first..

Shastafarian
01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Funny you should say that. Both of yall are kinda right. Haywood obviously plays D and he would do the same in SA. However the team around him can somethimes make him look better than he is. Andres biedrins put up solid numbers last season with the warriors. However he's the only big guy on the floor which boost his stats. In Denver Marcus Camby would play D well, but his teammates made him look good cause they would allow anyone to get into the lane and then he would block there shots. However in both situations the team defense is horrible. So knock those numbers down abit. Maybe Haywood goes for 6boards and a block a game with the spurs since he would have Duncan playing with him doing exactly the same thing.

You realize how these two sentences contradict each other right?

daslicer
01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Haywood help out the spurs tremendously on the defensive end. His numbers would probably fall to 7-7 and two blocks but thats still pretty good considering the spurs have enough scores they don't need him to be an all-star player. The other intangible he is 7ft the spurs haven't had a 7ft center playing next to Duncan since Nazr and Rasho they couldn't desperately use one now to fix up the big hole that is the paint due to playing small ball. Jamison doesn't fix the spur current problem which is defending the paint area.

5in10
01-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Whatever happens it needs to be done quick to give that player time to adapt to our system and players before the playoffs.

narmerguy
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Whatever happens it needs to be done quick to give that player time to adapt to our system and players before the playoffs.

This

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
im sure the Nuggets will be going after Haywood but im not sure what they have to offer

DPG21920
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Ty Lawson

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Ty Lawson

:lmao

AnthonyM
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM

If the Spurs got Haywood, I don't think I would have a problem with him taking Blair's minutes...

You could have Dice coming off the bench, since it seems he plays better coming off of it anyway. And Ratliff is already only used in specialty type roles anyway...

Blair and Dice sharing any minutes off the bench would probably be limited, but as the season goes on, is there really a guarantee that Pop would have Blair in the game playing important minutes anyway? At least Haywood has playoff experience and can provide the interior presence that the Spurs need.

The only thing that worries me about getting Haywood is giving up Bonner, he's important to the spacing on the floor, as everyone knows...Obviously if you give up Bonner for him, the only big that can effectively space the floor is Dice...

It would be interesting to see though.

Big P
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
If the Spurs got Haywood, I don't think I would have a problem with him taking Blair's minutes...

You could have Dice coming off the bench, since it seems he plays better coming off of it anyway. And Ratliff is already only used in specialty type roles anyway...

Blair and Dice sharing any minutes off the bench would probably be limited, but as the season goes on, is there really a guarantee that Pop would have Blair in the game playing important minutes anyway? At least Haywood has playoff experience and can provide the interior presence that the Spurs need.

The only thing that worries me about getting Haywood is giving up Bonner, he's important to the spacing on the floor, as everyone knows...Obviously if you give up Bonner for him, the only big that can effectively space the floor is Dice...

You would stunt Blairs growth so you could give his minutes to haywood?? :nope

AnthonyM
01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
You would stunt Blairs growth so you could give his minutes to haywood?? :nope

Blair still has a long way to go, and as much as I like Blair, Haywood fills a need that can help the Spurs now.

Blair is signed for the next 2 or 3 years, so he'll still have time to grow to help the team the next few years.

Like I said, how do any of us know if Blair will be out there when the season picks up and the playoffs roll around? Hill wasn't last year, even though a lot of people thought he should have been.

And, through all of this, Blair is fun to watch and provides great energy, but he is still a rookie.

pjjrfan
01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't take minutes away from Blair, the kid has a great motor, McDyess would have to be the odd man out.

Sisk
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
so are there any real implications of us picking up haywood, or is it completely hypothetical as always?

speculating like this just frustrates me

Big P
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Blair still has a long way to go, and as much as I like Blair, Haywood fills a need that can help the Spurs now.

Blair is signed for the next 2 or 3 years, so he'll still have time to grow to help the team the next few years.

Like I said, how do any of us know if Blair will be out there when the season picks up and the playoffs roll around? Hill wasn't last year, even though a lot of people thought he should have been.

And, through all of this, Blair is fun to watch and provides great energy, but he is still a rookie.

So what Blair is doing, doesn't fill a need for this team? Sure. How do we know Blair will be around during the playoffs?? Are you serious? Pop is starting the friggin kid now.

AnthonyM
01-09-2010, 05:20 PM
So what Blair is doing, doesn't fill a need for this team? Sure. How do we know Blair will be around during the playoffs?? Are you serious? Pop is starting the friggin kid now.

Blair is still foul prone, and look at last night, we needed him to be in the game and he got in foul trouble within the first two minutes.

And I'm not saying he should have been in and defended Dirk all game and shut him down, that's a tough task for anyone in the league.

Blair fills a rebounding need, but he has other weaknesses such as his tendency to not be able to stay out on the floor and his shotblocking isn't great.

Haywood is a fine rebounder and brings better shotblocking and better defense than Blair does right now. And i'm not saying take away ALL of Blair's minutes, just that I don't have a problem with them being limited if this trade does happen.

As for Pop starting Blair now, did you not watch the playoffs last year when Hill was riding the bench despite his play in the regular season? Not saying that Blair can't get minutes, just that there is no guarantee Blair will get significant minutes in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think Pop is going to trust Blair as much as we want in the playoffs..rookie big men generally don't have big roles during the playoffs, especially erratic players like Blair..it's gonna be more about McDyess, Bonner and Ratliff IMO..

LOL @ portnoy's logic..that dude never fails to disappoint..

DPG21920
01-09-2010, 05:55 PM
This is going to be a long year and there is going to be so much speculation leading up until the trade deadline. I honestly have no read on how this season will go and what the F.O. is thinking. This year (with Holt's spending and 2010 approaching) has already been so different than previous years.

wildbill2u
01-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Then why not trade Dice?

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Why would the Wizards want Dice?..

They want expirings and a pick or young assets according to reports..NOBODY is going to give up young assets for a rental in Haywood and not many teams are going to want to give up a 1st round pick for a rental, unless they're trying to win THIS SEASON..

The Spurs can offer expirings to cancel that out and then throw in a 1st round pick..I don't know if the FO would be willing to do it, but I wouldn't think twice about it..

The only team I can imagine willing to offer a good package would be Portland because of Oden and Pryzbilla going down, they desperately need a C..

AFBlue
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
so are there any real implications of us picking up haywood, or is it completely hypothetical as always?

speculating like this just frustrates me

None whatsoever, though it's still early. Either way, I wouldn't get too excited even if the Spurs show up in the rumor mill as a possibility. The reality is that they simply don't have the "sweetners" to go along with the expiring contracts that others have.

They won't give up Blair or Hill and a late first round pick in 2010 can be one-upped by plenty of other teams.

DPG21920
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Would yall give up Tiago?

lennyalderette
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
2 blocks a double double/per game veteran haywood, standing at 7feet would be excellent

lennyalderette
01-09-2010, 06:16 PM
we should only do this deal if its lopsided if we cant get the deal done with our exp. contracts and maybe a future first rounder then maybe we shouldnt do it, we are not going to give up tiagos contract that would be retarted. we need him bad!! does anyone know how many first round picks we have this year???????

AnthonyM
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Would yall give up Tiago?

I don't think I'd be willing to give up Tiago, because even if we don't get Haywood, it's not like the Spurs still can't improve for the rest of the season. McDyess is a self-proclaimed slow starter and is still valuable to the team if he can step it up.

If Tiago pans out to what we hope he can be, he should be a good compliment to Timmy for the next two years, and hopefully after that he can help keep the Spurs afloat as a contender. Again, I know it's a big if, but it's still possible and the big thing is he is only 25, and Haywood is 30 years old so bringing in Haywood would be for right now.

With Parker, Hill, Blair, and Tiago being young after Tim is gone (assuming we resign Parker), hopefully that group would be one piece away from being a deep playoff team.

Would you?

lennyalderette
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Haywood help out the spurs tremendously on the defensive end. His numbers would probably fall to 7-7 and two blocks but thats still pretty good considering the spurs have enough scores they don't need him to be an all-star player. The other intangible he is 7ft the spurs haven't had a 7ft center playing next to Duncan since Nazr and Rasho they couldn't desperately use one now to fix up the big hole that is the paint due to playing small ball. Jamison doesn't fix the spur current problem which is defending the paint area.

thank you for writing what so many of us our thinking but too lazy to write, and this is why we dont want jamison people, hes an older RJ pretty much but wouldnt buy into playing D like Rj has. im worried about our rebounding when orlando,boston.denver and l.a play us. i know we outrebounded boston our last game, but they didnt have everyone playing

DPG21920
01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Not sure. I guess it would depend on what other offers the Wiz are getting and if the Spurs truly think Tiago will come next season.

AnthonyM
01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Not sure. I guess it would depend on what other offers the Wiz are getting and if the Spurs truly think Tiago will come next season.

Yeah, I say I wouldn't want to give him up assuming that the Spurs are pretty certain that they can get him next year.

Despot
01-09-2010, 06:43 PM
So, Haywood would have prevented the mavs from scoring 42 in the 4th, huh?

exstatic
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Folks, every dollar that Agent Zero is fined is not only a dollar off of the payroll, it's also another dollar off the luxury tax bill. Since it appears he's probably gone for the year, that's a buttload of pressure off the Wiz to have a fire sale. They'll break the team up, but there's no reason to have an in-season fire sale. They can dangle players this summer to disappointed FA suitors and probably get better value.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

DPG21920
01-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Are you certain of this? It seems odd that they would help out the Wiz financially when it was found that they failed to report this.

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
..or they could get a 1st round pick for Haywood instead of getting nothing for him when he signs somewhere else, which is very likely..he's not a star player or anything..

the Wizards were rumored to be having a fire sale even before this Arenas incident..their team was heavily underachieving and going nowhere..I would expect at least 2 of Jamison, Butler and Haywood to get traded..

LOL @ the Mavs comment..I would like to think a defensive C would help the Spurs prevent the Mavs from scoring 50 fucking points in the paint..

Despot
01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Folks, every dollar that Agent Zero is fined is not only a dollar off of the payroll, it's also another dollar off the luxury tax bill. Since it appears he's probably gone for the year, that's a buttload of pressure off the Wiz to have a fire sale. They'll break the team up, but there's no reason to have an in-season fire sale. They can dangle players this summer to disappointed FA suitors and probably get better value.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

As for Washington, one source close to the situation said in the wake of Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension this week: "The Wizards are 100 percent going to try to void Gil's contract, and they're 100 percent going to clean house. There is now not a single player they wouldn't trade."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100108-09/houston-rockets-join-chris-bosh-chase

I agree that there is no reason to rush and have a firesale, voiding Gil's contract will more than get them under the tax. However they are currently going to have to pay 8.6 million, the expected payout to teams under the tax will be about 4.5 million, which is a 13 million dollar swing.

I doubt the whole arbitration process for Gil will be finished by the trade deadline, so the Wiz will not be able to be assured that they will get under the tax from that scenario. So, I do look for them to make some moves to get under the cap.

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Also, voiding a contract is very tough..Arenas would pretty much have to be convicted, and even THAT might not guarantee that they get a void..

exstatic
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Also, voiding a contract is very tough..Arenas would pretty much have to be convicted, and even THAT might not guarantee that they get a void..

Actually, if he's convicted, the NBAPA wouldn't have a leg to stand on for an appeal of the void. There was some pretty specific CBA language in one of the posts that I don't feel like diving for that seems to support the Wiz should they choose to void.

timtonymanu
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Not Wizards related, but what do you guys think of Joel Anthony from the Heat?

Johnny RIngo
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM

I'd love to see someone like Haywood but it's all a pipe dream. Pop is stubborn and is likely going to live and die with Bonner chucking threes for the rest of the season.

jimo2305
01-10-2010, 05:51 AM
yea i like mcguire or mcgee being a spur.. i know nick young is too much to ask lol

exstatic
01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
yea i like mcguire or mcgee being a spur.. i know nick young is too much to ask lol

Those are likely the players the Wiz are NOT going to get rid of. They're young, talented and cheap.

rascal
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Forget about floor spacing. The spurs need more a defensive low post presence who can block some shots, intimidate and clog the lane to slow down the easy scoring around the basket and grab rebounds.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Haywood would do nothing for this team. We need length and quickness to compete in the west.

Hooks
01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
So, Haywood would have prevented the mavs from scoring 42 in the 4th, huh?

Haywood would've stopped Dampier from going 6-6 while blocking shots and grabbing boards in the process.

DPG21920
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
The more I think of it, the more I wish the Spurs could nab Jamison.

VI_Massive
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
The more I think of it, the more I wish the Spurs could nab Jamison.

No defense. No thanks.

DPG21920
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
No defense. No thanks.

He is not a terrible defender and he is mobile enough to hang with Pau. Very good rebounder and could really spread the floor. Great guy as well.

blkroadrunners
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Jamison would fit the Spurs rotation perfectly especially since he's versatile and a solid 3 point shooter, but he wouldn't be the answer for our defensive woes.

HarlemHeat37
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be upset at all if we got Jamison..I don't watch him enough, he's obviously a very good player, but Wizards fans say he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA, so that wouldn't help..

I think he'll go to Cleveland..that would be scary..

Bruno
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Jamison?

He will be paid $13.4M in 2011 and $15.1M in 2012. Spurs' owners have still made a big financial effort this summer, do you think it's realistic to think that Spurs could acquire a player paid that much?

If Spurs try to get one of Washington's player, it likely will be Haywood. Spurs could offer Bonner + Mahinmi + Haislip + 1st round pick for Haywood. Mahinmi and/or Haislip could be send to a third team to allow Wizards to save a little more money. Other teams will likely make a best offer for Haywood but it's worth the try.

peter_slb
01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Haywood would be perfect.

SpurNation
01-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Jamison?

He will be paid $13.4M in 2011 and $15.1M in 2012. Spurs' owners have still made a big financial effort this summer, do you think it's realistic to think that Spurs could acquire a player paid that much?

If Spurs try to get one of Washington's player, it likely will be Haywood. Spurs could offer Bonner + Mahinmi + Haislip + 1st round pick for Haywood. Mahinmi and/or Haislip could be send to a third team to allow Wizards to save a little more money. Other teams will likely make a best offer for Haywood but it's worth the try.

Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread though I didn't throw in a draft pick which would help sweeten the deal and used Hairston in place of Haislip.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5368315

K-State Spur
01-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Agreed, if you put Dice (or even Bonner) on the Wizards and had Haywood on the Spurs, the first two would look like a more attractive option to this board.

Other than some shotblocking, he adds absolutely nothing to this roster. I'd rather roll with Ian.

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Agreed, if you put Dice (or even Bonner) on the Wizards and had Haywood on the Spurs, the first two would look like a more attractive option to this board.

Other than some shotblocking, he adds absolutely nothing to this roster. I'd rather roll with Ian.

:rollin:rollin