PDA

View Full Version : Any get unwated gift cards for Christmas?

Thunder Dan
01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I got a couple at places I'll never go to, like Wal Mart and TGI Fridays. Thought I'd pass this site along, you can send in your cards and get cash. I got $47 for a $50 Wal Mart card and $20 for a $25 Fridays card. They send you a check in about a week

https://www.plasticjungle.com/

JamStone
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Why would you never go to Wal Mart?

Heck, at the least, you can buy toiletries, some groceries, or heck beer with that $50 at Wal Mart.

Thunder Dan
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Heck, at the least, you can buy toiletries, some groceries, or heck beer with that $50 at Wal Mart.

i refuse to support wal mart. they ruin america

leemajors
01-09-2010, 11:44 AM

Where do you shop? My ex-wife says the same thing, but goes to Target. Like it's any different.

Dex
01-09-2010, 11:51 AM

:rolleyes Give my condolences to Mom and Pop that somebody figured out a bigger, better method.

Thunder Dan
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Where do you shop? My ex-wife says the same thing, but goes to Target. Like it's any different.

read Wal Mart Effect, you will never step inside another Wal Mart

I shop at Target. It's clean, it's nice, they pay their employees and give them benefits, and best of all they pick their carts out of the parking lot

Thunder Dan
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
:rolleyes Give my condolences to Mom and Pop that somebody figured out a bigger, better method.

they hire the most people in the country, don't offer them benefits so it's passed on to taxpayers, and the same people who bitch about taxes go to wal mart to save 40 cents and support the company that doesn't offer benefits to your neighbors

Thunder Dan
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
and Wal Mart, because it is so big, they bully businesses into setting prices which kills jobs. They told Rubbermaid they would only carry them if they priced their items a certain way, so Rubbermaid had to make the choice of losing it's largest buyer or shutting down plants to cut costs....what do you think they did?

mrsmaalox
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Well whatever Rubbermaid decided to do, I'm sure their CEO didn't lose a dime!

iggypop123
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
damn send me the card. i could use a new game.

Dex
01-09-2010, 03:36 PM
At least WalMart is out there giving people jobs, and lots of them. And people don't HAVE to settle for a job working at Wal-Mart with no benefits. Are you going to give shit to HEB and KMart and Academy and 85% of other retailers that don't offer benefits/insurance/401k to 85% of their employees? What about fast food joints, or specialty retailers?

I worked retail for 5 years to help put myself through school, and you know what I did when I wanted work benefits? I found myself a better job. I know that sounds harsh, but so is the economy these days. There are no handouts.

As for Walmart bullying prices, that sucks but it's all a conglomeration of supply and demand. Their business is to offer products to consumers at the lowest price possible, and its not like that's a new concept to the world. Is it Walmart's responsibility to keep Rubbermaid's factories afloat?

CuckingFunt
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
At least WalMart is out there giving people jobs, and lots of them. And people don't HAVE to settle for a job working at Wal-Mart with no benefits.

Actually, because of WalMart's business model and where they choose to place their stores, people often DO have to settle for a job working at WalMart with no benefits.

cornbread
01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I shop at Target. It's clean, it's nice, they pay their employees and give them benefits, and best of all they pick their carts out of the parking lot

Target has got their shit together. Wal Mart is just shit.

Dex
01-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Actually, because of WalMart's business model and where they choose to place their stores, people often DO have to settle for a job working at WalMart with no benefits.

I'll concede to this point. I've seen the effect that a Walmart can have on a small town; it's very hard for the general stores and individuals to keep up and compete. I do sympathize for them, but population is booming and this is the way the world seems to be headed, for better or worse. You don't see bike companies blaming the car for low productions.

I still say that you're going to be hard pressed to a find a cashier/checker job these days that offers you benefits. I'm actually surprised that Target does. If people want to blame Walmart for that entire business model, then I guess there is not much that can be done about that. But there are a lot of other corporations and companies banking on it.

Spurminator
01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
How can you hate a company that did this commercial?

v9lkmd-mMJ0

Come on. Troops! Snow! And they have a flower in their logo now!

Clandestino
01-09-2010, 04:36 PM
wal-mart haters are dumbasses

EmptyMan
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
All that cost-cutting no benefit Walmartin' and I still have to self checkout my own shit. :bang

jman3000
01-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I have a BassPro Shop one for about 20 bucks. It's completely out of the way from where I'm at, so even though I'd probably spend it, it's just never on my mind.

Got it last year too... so there's probably like 8 dollars on it by now.

jman3000
01-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I also have a Best Buy gc that has a balance of 1 penny on it.

iggypop123
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
in looking to get in great shape this yr i get rewarded with a starbucks and carls jr giftcard. seirously there is a subway next to those stores!

Frenzy
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I got a couple at places I'll never go to, like Wal Mart and TGI Fridays. Thought I'd pass this site along, you can send in your cards and get cash. I got $47 for a $50 Wal Mart card and $20 for a $25 Fridays card. They send you a check in about a week

https://www.plasticjungle.com/

some how I get the idea you could care less about the site or telling us about it. It's more of an excuse to get preachy about why people should hate walmart. :wakeup

exstatic
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM
some how I get the idea you could care less about the site or telling us about it. It's more of an excuse to get preachy about why people should hate walmart. :wakeup

I think if that were the case, he would have put it in the OP. He WAS asked why he wouldn't use the WM card.

DMX7
01-10-2010, 12:59 AM

I hear that but that gift card is getting used one way or another. May as well not waste 3 bucks and have to wait for your money.

PuttPutt
01-10-2010, 11:54 PM
At least WalMart is out there giving people jobs, and lots of them. And people don't HAVE to settle for a job working at Wal-Mart with no benefits. Are you going to give shit to HEB and KMart and Academy and 85% of other retailers that don't offer benefits/insurance/401k to 85% of their employees? What about fast food joints, or specialty retailers?

I worked retail for 5 years to help put myself through school, and you know what I did when I wanted work benefits? I found myself a better job. I know that sounds harsh, but so is the economy these days. There are no handouts.

As for Walmart bullying prices, that sucks but it's all a conglomeration of supply and demand. Their business is to offer products to consumers at the lowest price possible, and its not like that's a new concept to the world. Is it Walmart's responsibility to keep Rubbermaid's factories afloat?

When I worked for HEB full time, I had benefits & insurance. Even had the option for a 401K. I started out as a part time bagger & moved my way up within 4 years. I was full time after my 2nd year. Hell, they even put my cousin through college & he was a janitor for them.

EricB
01-11-2010, 02:11 AM
:lol @ walmart haters.

sabar
01-11-2010, 02:17 AM

You just resold the gift card that is going to be used at a walmart. All you did was shift the burden onto someone else. Walmart is still going to get the business.

Economic fail. If anything, you undercutting the retail price of the gift card gave someone else who had no plans of shopping at walmart that incentive to do so. Perhaps they enjoyed the deal so much that they plan on going to walmart even more.

If you hated walmart you would of burned the card. You ran with the cash -- the exact same thing that you are criticizing walmart of doing.

Girasuck
01-11-2010, 02:19 AM

I hate to break it to you but whoever gave you the gift card already supported Walmart. You're not giving Walmart a penny to use that gift card. It seems pointless then to take $47 back on a $50 gift card when it's not your money.

exstatic
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
If you hated walmart you would of burned the card. You ran with the cash -- the exact same thing that you are criticizing walmart of doing.

Economic fail of your own. Burning the card does a double dip in favor of Wal-Mart. They have the cash already and NEVER have to put out any merchandise.

Realistically, if someone is trolling a card site for WM cards, they were going there anyway, so the net out is zero for Thunder Dan.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM

no I just passed along a useful website that I had a good experience with. Someone asked me why I wouldn't use a Wal Mart card and I explained why.

read this article

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
You just resold the gift card that is going to be used at a walmart. All you did was shift the burden onto someone else. Walmart is still going to get the business.

Economic fail. If anything, you undercutting the retail price of the gift card gave someone else who had no plans of shopping at walmart that incentive to do so. Perhaps they enjoyed the deal so much that they plan on going to walmart even more.

yeah I know what I did. I just won't go into a Wal Mart. I know others will, I just prefer not to because of the reasons I've stated. They cater to simple minded people who can't figure out how their business model affects our country. Someone actually said in this thread "atleast they are offering jobs" as if it were not for Wal Mart people would not buy stuff and nobody would have jobs because there would be no other stores. If it were not for Wal Mart people would never buy any of the products Wal Mart carries.

In the same thread, people are telling me not to use the card to stick it to Wal Mart...so I would just be giving Wal Mart $50 without taking any of their inventory. That makes alot of sense.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
The Irony of Wal Mart is their slogan: Save Money, Live Better. It's ironic because that is the opposite of what is happening. Everyone feeling entitled to saving money is ruining our country. People are no longer paying what good are worth, they are paying for what the store feels they want to sell. I posted an article about pickles, and how you can get a years supply of pickles at Wal Mart for $3. That is a great deal for the person shopping at Wal Mart. But what about the families that live in your neighborhood who work in that industry. The guys who sell the pickles, the guys who work for the packing company, they guy who supports his family by delivering pickles to the stores. You just saved $2 on a years supply of pickles, but that means less work for all of them. The company will lay people off (people you live around) to cut costs. They will lose their homes or claim unemployment, both of which affect your bottom line both in taxes and real estate holdings. You saved yourself money on the pickles though and you get that instant gratification while Wal Mart ducks away from the side effects of low prices.

I'm not saying we don't have the right to sales. I'm saying that Wal Mart has gotten so big that they force the prices of goods they don't make. Everyone feels entitled to save money, but if people paid for things for what they are worth, a fair price, outsourcing wouldn't be what it is today.

bus driver
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
read Wal Mart Effect, you will never step inside another Wal Mart

dont you worry...obama will save the day and give everyone health care, so shop on at wal mart! :toast

SAGambler
01-11-2010, 04:54 PM
The Irony of Wal Mart is their slogan: Save Money, Live Better. It's ironic because that is the opposite of what is happening. Everyone feeling entitled to saving money is ruining our country. People are no longer paying what good are worth, they are paying for what the store feels they want to sell. I posted an article about pickles, and how you can get a years supply of pickles at Wal Mart for $3. That is a great deal for the person shopping at Wal Mart. But what about the families that live in your neighborhood who work in that industry. The guys who sell the pickles, the guys who work for the packing company, they guy who supports his family by delivering pickles to the stores. You just saved $2 on a years supply of pickles, but that means less work for all of them. The company will lay people off (people you live around) to cut costs. They will lose their homes or claim unemployment, both of which affect your bottom line both in taxes and real estate holdings. You saved yourself money on the pickles though and you get that instant gratification while Wal Mart ducks away from the side effects of low prices.

I'm not saying we don't have the right to sales. I'm saying that Wal Mart has gotten so big that they force the prices of goods they don't make. Everyone feels entitled to save money, but if people paid for things for what they are worth, a fair price, outsourcing wouldn't be what it is today.

How the hell am I supposed to know "what something is worth"? It's worth whatever it will bring on the open market. Not 1 cent more.

How about all the high dollar clothes they sold off at Dillards on the Riverwalk at about 10 cents on the dollar. Shouldn't that ring a bell in your head that they were charging way way too much to begin with. Same goes for any retailer that starts that 50, 60 percent off crap. Only tells me they were trying to cheat the public to begin with.

Hell, you are probably the guy that thinks we should be shelling out 5 bucks a gallon for gas. You know, so no one will lose their job.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
How the hell am I supposed to know "what something is worth"? It's worth whatever it will bring on the open market. Not 1 cent more.

How about all the high dollar clothes they sold off at Dillards on the Riverwalk at about 10 cents on the dollar. Shouldn't that ring a bell in your head that they were charging way way too much to begin with. Same goes for any retailer that starts that 50, 60 percent off crap. Only tells me they were trying to cheat the public to begin with.

Hell, you are probably the guy that thinks we should be shelling out 5 bucks a gallon for gas. You know, so no one will lose their job.

gas is an elastic good without substitutes so that makes no sense.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
What I'm saying is this: Rubbermaid can be forced off of Wal Mart's shelves because Wal Mart has decided that there isn't enough space for Rubbermaid because their products are more expensive than the cheaper foreign brands they carry. So they tell Rubbermaid that they can either cut the costs of their products or they can lose Wal Mart (the biggest retailer in the world). Companies like Rubbermaid are handcuffed, on one hand it might cost them $3 to make a product wal mart will only pay $2 for, on the other hand, how big of a blow would it be to lose Wal Mart as a distributor?

It's not just Rubbermaid. It's hundred of companies, and most of them are all American. They are all strong armed by Wal Mart. It's in every industry: automotive, households, toys, everything. If Wal Mart didn't do this, people would still buy products. Suppose I needed new Tires. I could go to Wal Mart and save the $40 on my new Goodyears, but if Wal Mart wasn't around, I would still need new tires. All Wal Mart is offering me is a lower price. Yes I save $40 I can spend elsewhere, but the money Wal Mart negotiated away from Goodyear is one of a couple reasons Goodyear lays off hundreds each year. Those people live in my town and I end up paying taxes to help them and our property values reflect when guys who are laid off had to forclose on their house. So yeah I saved $40 but I'm not living any better.

Again, Wal Mart targets simple minded folk who can't think past the initial savings. That is alright, but sometimes people need to think big picture.

Clandestino
01-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Thunder if all the goods were made in america we'd be paying $50 for a can of pickles. I'd rather better the life of some foreigner who is willing to work hard to pick/can pickles than some lazy American who wants to unionize and pick 5 pickles a day for $45/hr.

Look at the car companies and you decide who has the best business model. All youre doing is being a dumbass by buying the exact same good at Target vs Wal Mart. It costs the company the same, it is YOU who is getting screwed.

Clandestino
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
quick question for thunder or anyone... Is thunder in college?

Thunder Dan
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Thunder if all the goods were made in america we'd be paying $50 for a can of pickles. I'd rather better the life of some foreigner who is willing to work hard to pick/can pickles than some lazy American who wants to unionize and pick 5 pickles a day for $45/hr.

Look at the car companies and you decide who has the best business model. All youre doing is being a dumbass by buying the exact same good at Target vs Wal Mart. It costs the company the same, it is YOU who is getting screwed.

and if all good were made in America we woudln't be bitching about job loss and wouldn't be upset about pickels costing $50. The reason people lose jobs is because people in China, India and Mexico have a lower standard of living so companies could pay them less. If everything was made in America it would increase our standard of living because we would all be making more money. Simple economics. The price of an item is determined by what the public is willing to pay. So while you say pickles would be $50, that wouldn't last because the public would no longer buy pickles because they are not a necessity. What Wal Mart does is they determine the price and influence a company's ability to run their business because of their size. Wal Mart is then setting the price and the public is not.

And Target doesn't have the same business model as Wal-Mart so you are completely wrong. Target doesn't operate to put others out of business. KMart doesn't either

Thunder Dan
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
quick question for thunder or anyone... Is thunder in college?

no I have a degree in Business Administration with minors in Finance and Economics. I graduated in 2006

Thunder Dan
01-12-2010, 11:08 AM
and people always bitch and marginalize people's salary within certain fields. For example, they will say things like "Why should a guy who grows pickles make $100,000 a year?" assuming that someone who grows pickles is uneducated and is not worthy of such a high salary. We hear this all the time when people bring up the auto industry and trucking industry. But if people int his country made more money, there would be more money floating around this country for all to make, and there wouldn't be such a press to save money.

Example A)If John makes $100,000 growing and selling his pickles, he is operating a profitable business which creates jobs when he hires Ron to package his pickles and Tony to drive the truck to take his pickles to the store. The stores then turn a profit on the pickles they sell for $5 a can in the mass.

So in this example, there are several jobs that are created and these people then spend their money at other companies in the area (maybe ones you work for directly or in directly).

Example B) A big Box retailer tells John they will no longer carry his brand because they found a Mexican brand they can sell at $2 rather than John's $5. John struggles to hang onto his business by laying off Tony the trucker and delivering his own pickles. John is now making $60,000 a year and Tony is looking for a job. Meanwhile, you are saving $3 at Wal Mart buying the pickles. However, what you don't see is the lost income you are losing because Tony and John are no longer spending their money at the company that employs you

CubanMustGo
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.leftcoastbias.com/bfc/thread_hijack.jpg

PM5K
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Funny thread, too bad Walmart already got paid. You just put an American out of work because you didn't tell your relatives not to buy you Walmart gift cards.