Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Article Published: Tuesday, April 26, 2005
nuggets

Nuggets show playoff savvy

Equipped with more experience, Denver has San Antonio in hole

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

San Antonio - A year ago, the Nuggets walked onto the Target Center court in Minneapolis to begin the NBA playoffs with a combined 117 games of postseason experience.

Offseason and midseason additions gave the Nuggets nearly three times as much playoff experience this year. That savvy and smarts, the Nuggets say, helped them hold off San Antonio 93-87 in Game 1 of their Western Conference series Sunday. It also could help the Nuggets make a long playoff run.

"A lot of guys pretty much didn't know what to expect," center Marcus Camby said of the Nuggets' playoff series against the Minnesota Timberwolves last year. "The first two games in Minnesota, once you give a team a 2-0 lead, we were never really able to catch up. But this year, surrounded by a lot of veterans, we pretty much know what to expect."

Offseason additions included Bryon Russell, who brought with him 102 games of playoff experience, and Kenyon Martin and Greg Buckner, also playoff tested. Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe added Wesley Person and Eduardo Najera during the season, two more playoff-tested players.

"With any team, you need a mix of guys," Vandeweghe said. "Guys that have been to the (NBA) Finals like Camby and Kenyon, to me that's huge. To me, you add other guys like Russell, Najera. Those guys have played in big-time playoff games.

"That experience is invaluable. You have to have it."

In addition, Camby points out, playoff newcomers a year ago such as Carmelo Anthony, Andre Miller and Earl Boykins gained insight into what the postseason is all about. "They are more relaxed, more focused, know how to concentrate on the game, know how to read scouting reports as well as have fun," Camby said.

The result is a Denver team that a year ago might have been excited just to be in the playoffs now has its sights set much higher.

Miller, who lit up San Antonio for 31 points Sunday, said the Nuggets played too much 1-on-1 basketball against Minnesota a year ago. Anthony, a rookie last season, had no one that he felt comfortable turning to when he struggled.

"We didn't know what the game was going to be like," Boykins said. "We didn't know how to respond once we got down."

Conversely, the Nuggets played from behind Sunday during most of the game but held the Spurs to 12 points in the fourth quarter and took a 1-0 series lead.

Denver's leadership was evident even before Game 1. Just before each Nuggets starter stepped on the court, Person, a reserve, gave each a hug. Just before tipoff, Martin had the team huddle to pass on some last- second advice. When Anthony missed his first four shots, Camby and Martin were there to offer encouragement. And the Nuggets never got rattled when the Spurs went on a run and got the crowd involved.

"Kenyon and Camby came up to me and said things will work out, just keep being aggressive," Anthony said. "It was good hearing that. It's always good hearing that knowing your teammates got your back."

Said Boykins: "Every one of these guys have some type of playoff experience. When (veterans) come in, you know what they're going to give you. In the playoffs, you (can't) make mental mistakes. Those guys won't make them."

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:19 AM
1/4 of Denver fans are talking sweep???

This is unbelievable.

NUGGETS WIN GAME 1
Any chance the Denver Nuggets sweep their playoff series with the San Antonio Spurs?
Total Votes = 1380
Don't be surprised (352)
26%
Don't be silly (1028)
74%

Jimcs50
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Karl Quotes:

Here is some potential bulletin board material if the Nuggets reach the Western Conference finals against Phoenix. Karl opined that Houston is better than the Suns, the NBA's best regular-season team.

"Of all the teams I've played, Houston is the best basketball team that we've played," he said. "I know Phoenix doesn't want me to say that. Phoenix is a great team, too. But from a playoff basketball team, the Houston Rockets were very impressive."

Asked why, Karl pointed to coach Jeff Van Gundy and star guard Tracy McGrady, among others: "They've got a great inside presence, Van Gundy does a great job defensive- scheme-wise, and you've got I think the best one-on-one perimeter player in the game right now." ...

Karl, on why Denver needs to win another game in San Antonio: "They're not afraid of winning one game in Denver. In most really equal series, you've got to win two. The visiting team's got to win two." ...

Louae
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Karl Quotes:

Here is some potential bulletin board material if the Nuggets reach the Western Conference finals against Phoenix. Karl opined that Houston is better than the Suns, the NBA's best regular-season team.

"Of all the teams I've played, Houston is the best basketball team that we've played," he said. "I know Phoenix doesn't want me to say that. Phoenix is a great team, too. But from a playoff basketball team, the Houston Rockets were very impressive."

Asked why, Karl pointed to coach Jeff Van Gundy and star guard Tracy McGrady, among others: "They've got a great inside presence, Van Gundy does a great job defensive- scheme-wise, and you've got I think the best one-on-one perimeter player in the game right now." ...

Karl, on why Denver needs to win another game in San Antonio: "They're not afraid of winning one game in Denver. In most really equal series, you've got to win two. The visiting team's got to win two." ...

You know what, I can't disagree with him on that. In fact, I agree with him 100%. If Phoenix doesn't like the sound of it, they should concentrate on playing better defense.