PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll to SEA

san antonio spurs
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Considering the seahawks needs and the RB and QB positions respectively,
Do you think he's going to trade for some of his ex protégés?
Reggie Bush is rumored to not be wanted back by NO, Lendale White is unhappy in TEN (he's a RFA though) so with no new CBA they'll have to trade for him And finally, will he trade for Matt Leinhart as his QB because obviously the other Matt is pretty much done with injuries and such?
any hawks fans on the site to give us inside infos?

mardigan
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Sources: Seattle, Carroll agree on deal

Pete Carroll has reached an agreement in principle with the Seahawks on a deal to be their next head coach, multiple NFL sources confirmed early Saturday morning.

Carroll was fully expected to be introduced by the Seahawks as early as Monday, after the team interviewed Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier on Saturday morning.

According to league sources, Frazier met with the Seahawks in Minneapolis, satisfying the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview a minority candidate for head-coaching and senior football-operations hires.

Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke had told Frazier that Carroll definitely does not have Seattle's job. Frazier had been unwilling to talk with the Seahawks about the head-coaching vacancy if Carroll had been promised full control of the Seahawks. Multiple sources indicated he had been.

On Friday, Jim Mora became the first Seahawks coach to be let go after just one season when the team finished 5-11.

Seattle also contacted the agent for Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, but as of Saturday morning, nothing had been set up. An interview with Rivera also would satisfy the Rooney Rule.

But the bottom line is, Carroll's agreement with Seattle is "100 percent done," one NFL source close to the situation said.

In a text message to ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday, Carroll said, "You know I haven't responded to a NFL question in two years."

But a league source told Mortensen that Carroll was trying to persuade USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to join him in Seattle -- as opposed to Bates pursuing the same position with the Chicago Bears.

Carroll is no stranger to the NFL, having served as the head coach for the Patriots from 1997 to 1999 and for the Jets in 1994.

He was the Jets' defensive coordinator from 1990 to 1993 after stints as the defensive backs coach for the Vikings (1985-89) and Bills (1984).

Even before the deal had been agreed to in principle, the ripple effect from Carroll's pending move was reaching beyond the NFL and college ranks.

When the news broke Friday that Carroll could be headed to Seattle, USC's incoming freshman class at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio began franctically calling USC's assistant coaches.

For the rest of the day, not a single USC assistant returned a single phone call, according to sources at the game.

By Saturday afternoon, some calls had been returned.

But witnesses to the scene said players such as All-American receiver Kyle Prater and running back Dillon Baxter could not figure out what was unfolding with Carroll.

Baxter, for one, had verbally committed to USC as a high-school freshman and never looked at another school. But now that Carroll is expected to leave USC, other schools already have begun contacting the players scheduled to enroll there in the fall with hopes they will change their minds.

Prater said on NBC's broadcast Saturday of the All-American Bowl that he had spoken to Trojans passing game coordinator/receivers coach John Morton and that he would discuss things further with his family and advisers before making a decision on enrolling at USC.

Prater said he was scheduled to fly to Los Angeles to sign with the team and enroll in classes starting Monday but would now postpone the trip.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks' search for a new general manager also is under way.

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross will interview for the vacant position Wednesday, according to John Wooten, chairman of the organization that oversees Rooney Rule compliance.

The panel, called the Fritz Pollard Alliance, agreed to allow the interview only after being given assurances Carroll would not have full control of Seattle's organization, but rather only control over the 53-man roster.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

samikeyp
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Considering the seahawks needs and the RB and QB positions respectively,
Do you think he's going to trade for some of his ex protégés?
Reggie Bush is rumored to not be wanted back by NO, Lendale White is unhappy in TEN (he's a RFA though) so with no new CBA they'll have to trade for him And finally, will he trade for Matt Leinhart as his QB because obviously the other Matt is pretty much done with injuries and such?
any hawks fans on the site to give us inside infos?

If this was fantasy football, maybe.

In reality though, it would be near impossible to get those three without crippling their cap...although if 2010 is uncapped, it could happen but they would suffer afterwards.

Spurrier tried that in Washington with some of his former Gators and it didn't work out.

J.T.
01-09-2010, 02:56 PM
The Fall of Troy and Manning's 4th MVP. . .

Could today get any better?

san antonio spurs
01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
If this was fantasy football, maybe.

In reality though, it would be near impossible to get those three without crippling their cap...although if 2010 is uncapped, it could happen but they would suffer afterwards.

Spurrier tried that in Washington with some of his former Gators and it didn't work out.
I thought that obviously they wouldn't gun for both RBs. They would have to choose between Lendale White and Reggie Bush. They don't need both. But I believe they will get rid of Edge and keep Jones. So the better RB to complement him would be Lendale White.
And trading for Leihnart wouldn't be that complicated because he's doubted by the Cards organization and has very good ties with Carroll
By the way, he'll be also the Hawks Team President.

J.T.
01-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I thought the Shehawks already cut Edge?

SpuronyourFace
01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm kinda shocked. He really found his place in football on the college field. Guess he's ready for a different challenge.One thing is for sure, if he fails in Seattle, he won't have a hard time finding another job in the college ranks

san antonio spurs
01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I thought the Shehawks already cut Edge?

My bad then, didn't know that. So White makes sense by now

IronMexican
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
It is what it is

dirk4mvp
01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
It is what it is

This isn't happening.

EmptyMan
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM
The Fall of Troy and Manning's 4th MVP. . .

Could today get any better?

Collin Cowherd is crying himself to sleep now.

tlongII
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm hearing it's not a done deal yet. Carroll might be having second thoughts.

san antonio spurs
01-09-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm hearing it's not a done deal yet. Carroll might be having second thoughts.
The owner of the hawks is flying to CAL to try to finalize that.
I still believe they could've got a better coach though

IronMexican
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
This isn't happening.

You sound like a Radiohead fan brah.

dirk4mvp
01-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Collin Cowherd is crying himself to sleep now.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

So true.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Carroll is an idiot.

exstatic
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Carroll already epic failed in the NFL.

During one of the panel discussions yesterday, someone put it very well: it's easier to coach a bunch of poor 19 year olds than a bunch of rich 25 year olds.

IronMexican
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Carroll already epic failed in the NFL.

During one of the panel discussions yesterday, someone put it very well: it's easier to coach a bunch of poor 19 year olds than a bunch of rich 25 year olds.

Overall: 33 - 31
Playoffs: 1 - 2

Tell me about it.

I wont be rooting for him, though.

symple19
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Pete Carroll all but confirmed on Monday morning his resignation as football coach of USC to join the Seattle Seahawks in the same position.

Talking with the Los Angeles Times, Carroll said his pending move wasn't in reaction to possible sanctions the Trojans' program faces as a result of an ongoing investigation over whether players may have received improper benefits.

"Not in any way," Carroll told the newspaper. "Because I know where we stand. It's just a process we have to go through. We know we've fought hard to do right."

Carroll, a longtime coach and coordinator in the NFL before joining USC in 2000, said he had for a while "given up" on a return to the pro ranks.

"But it came out of nowhere," he told the Times.

Carroll had earlier reached an agreement in principle with the Seahawks, multiple NFL sources confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Saturday morning.

"I've given everything I've had," he said. "There was never going to be a good time."

Seahawks chief executive officer Tod Leiweke was in Los Angeles on Sunday to finalize the deal, the Times had reported.

The newspaper also reported that USC players received text messages Carroll would resign. A USC spokesperson told ESPN.com on Sunday night that the school had nothing official to announce.

Carroll had already planned a team meeting for Monday afternoon, on the day the Trojans return to class after the winter break. A team spokesman said that meeting is still on.

"By far the most difficult thing is leaving the young guys that just came into the program and just started," Carroll said in the Times interview.

Carroll has also started to form the staff he will work with in Seattle, sources indicated.

The Chicago Bears have been informed that Jeremy Bates, who was scheduled to interview for their offensive coordinator's job, has decided to accept the same job with Carroll and the Seahawks, two sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen on Sunday night.

A source said Bates was tempted to be reunited with Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, but the long-term security with Carroll was a major factor in his decision to join the Seahawks rather than the Bears. Bates was Cutler's offensive coordinator with the Broncos in 2008.

The Bears' options for the position now include Mike Martz, Jedd Fisch and Bill Musgrave, league sources told Schefter.

A source close to USC linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. confirmed to ESPN's Shelley Smith that Carroll will be taking Norton to Seattle to fill the same role with the Seahawks.

Norton recruited Lakewood High quarterback Jesse Scroggins, who has already committed to USC but is said to be waiting to see what happens with Carroll.

Current Trojans said they had not heard the decision yet from Carroll, but heard about a Los Angeles Daily News report on Sunday saying Carroll had resigned.

"Wow. Well, I'm not surprised," junior running back Marc Tyler said to ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne. "I think by now most guys wanted it to hurry up and happen so we can see who is going to coach us next."

Sophomore defensive end Malik Jackson said while he was a little surprised, he understands why Carroll is leaving.

"Wow, I can't believe we're one of those teams looking for a new coach," Jackson told Shelburne. "I'd heard about it all weekend, but I'm still kind of surprised.

"I don't blame him though. We all have to make decisions in our lives. If I could've said something that'd make him come back, I would've. But I'm not mad at him. He has to do what he thinks is best for himself. Everybody does."

A source on the USC coaching staff told ESPN that before the news broke, they had a meeting set for Monday at 5 p.m. ET to prepare for the offseason.

Now it looks "like that meeting will be Pete's last," the source said.

The source said at least one assistant coach has been contacted by another team, but many others haven't been contacted because "their status is up in the air."

Cross Oregon State's Mike Riley off the list of possible successors to Carroll.

Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis announced late Sunday night that the school had signed Riley to a three-year extension through at least 2019.

Riley, a finalist for the Trojans job in 2000 and still thought highly of by USC's administration, had become an immediate frontrunner to succeed Carroll.

Instead, Riley will stay in his hometown.

"Due to the fact there is a lot of speculation on my future, I want to make it known that I'm very excited to be coaching at Oregon State University and I anticipate doing so for a long time," Riley said in a statement released by the school.

Sources close to Riley said he was intrigued by the USC job, but loved coaching in Corvallis and the idea that he could finish his career there.

Carroll is no stranger to the NFL, having served as the head coach for the Patriots from 1997 to 1999 and for the Jets in 1994.

He was the Jets' defensive coordinator from 1990 to 1993 after stints as the defensive backs coach for the Vikings (1985-89) and Bills (1984).

The opportunity is unique for Carroll. The Seahawks do not have a GM in place, so he could have authority over football matters like he had at USC, and far more than he would have had filling any of the NFL coaching openings to which he's been connected in recent winters.

And this was perhaps the best time to leave USC since he arrived in 2001.

USC's string of seven consecutive Pac-10 titles ended with four losses in the just-completed season. And the school has been under several years of NCAA scrutiny for alleged improprieties in both Carroll's team and athletic director Mike Garrett's beleaguered department.

When receiver Damian Williams announced he's entering the NFL a year early, the news release of his departure Friday night didn't include a quote from Carroll, who often lavishes praise on his early entry candidates. His silence on Williams was good news for the Seahawks, who could use some.

University of Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, who left his friend Carroll and the Trojans 12 months ago for his first head coaching job, chuckled when asked if he'd like to be a head man in the same city as his mentor.

"That would be kind of fun," Sarkisian said. "He's a great coach."

Maybe I'm missing something, but hasn't every coach who's taken over as GM and coach been a huge failure? Why would Carroll go to Seattle? Hasselbeck is injury prone and on the downward swing. No running game. Defense is decent (when healthy) but that team has been degrading since the Walrus left. I see nothing but fail on the horizon for Mr. Carroll.

I seriously can't wait for the Niners to crush the Seahogs next year.