PDA

View Full Version : Tuberville to ttek

MajorMike
01-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Source: Tuberville to become Texas Tech coach01/09 11:54 AMA source close to the search says Tommy Tuberville will become the next coach at Texas TechFormer Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville will be named the next football coach at Texas Tech, a source close to the search told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel.
A news conference is scheduled for Sunday in Lubbock, Texas. Tuberville's family is flying to Lubbock Saturday night, according to the source.
Tuberville became a strong candidate when it was determined he would not insist on hiring his own staff, the source said. Tuberville also will not cost Tech a contract buyout.
Tuberville is expected to meet with Texas Tech staff before the news conference and then travel to Orlando, Fla., for the American Football Coaches Association convention, slated for Sunday-Wednesday.
Tuberville and Auburn parted ways in 2008 after his team went 5-7 in his 10th season at the school.
In 2004, Tuberville received national coach of the year awards after leading the Tigers to a 13-0 record.
Tuberville averaged 8.5 wins in his 10 seasons, taking Auburn to eight consecutive bowls. He also coached at Ole Miss.
Information from ESPN.com senior writer Ivan Maisel and ESPN's Joe Schad was used in this report.

leemajors
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
why would you go from auburn to tech.

Doug Collins
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't expect him to be there long term. I guess he really wants to get back into coaching.

Blake
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Wouldn't expect him to be there long term. I guess he really wants to get back into coaching.

he's from west Texas and will get paid about $2 mill for 5 years.

He's said he wants to keep the offense in place and will not be bringing in his own staff..

ok.......I'll admit, I'm starting to get giddy about this.

:lobt2:

samikeyp
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Because he was unemployed?

:)

Blake
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Because he was unemployed?

:)

there's that.

Not working at Auburn any more makes it a little easier to go from Auburn to Tech.

johngateswhiteley
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM

I'm pretty surprised myself.

Blake
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty surprised myself.

why? Tech is popular.

This year's Alamo Bowl was the highest rated ESPN bowl game of all time.

lebomb
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I would have gone with Ruffin. But, whatever.

Blake
01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I would have gone with Ruffin. But, whatever.

The players were definitely pulling hard for him.

traitoravery
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
They will actually play decent defense hmmm. With an explosive offense hmmm

lebomb
01-09-2010, 06:55 PM
The players were definitely pulling hard for him.

Tuberville will do a great job Im sure though. This is a great hire for Tech. :toast

LaMarcus Bryant
01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
why? Tech is popular.

and you really think the Leach controversy had nothing to do with those ratings?

SpuronyourFace
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
why? Tech is popular....

:lmao

Right now for all the wrong reasons...

johngateswhiteley
01-09-2010, 08:32 PM
why? Tech is popular.

Tekk is small time. And they don't have the history or success...but its a great hire for tekk.

redraiderinfiji
01-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Tekk is small time. And they don't have the history or success...but its a great hire for tekk.

Well to you Tech might be small time, but not for long.......

On the otherhand, you will always be short

johngateswhiteley
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Well to you Tech might be small time, but not for long.......

On the otherhand, you will always be short

They are small time. Recent success doesn't change that. My height is average, not that it matters.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Ole Miss Rebels (25-20)

1995: 6-5
1996: 5-6
1997: 8-4 (won Motor City Bowl, finished ranked #22 in AP & Coaches Polls)
1998: 6-5

[edit (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tommy_Tuberville&action=edit&section=7)] Auburn Tigers (85-40)

1999 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=1999_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 5-6
2000 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2000_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 9-4 (won SEC West title, lost SEC Championship, lost in Citrus Bowl, finished ranked #18 in AP & #20 in Coaches Poll)
2001 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2001_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 7-5 (lost in Peach Bowl)
2002 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2002_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 9-4 (won Capital One Bowl, finished ranked #14 in AP & #16 in Coaches Poll)
2003 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2003_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 8-5 (won Music City Bowl)
2004 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2004_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 13-0 (won SEC West title, won SEC Championship, won Sugar Bowl, finished ranked #2 in AP & Coaches Polls)
2005 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2005_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 9-3 (lost in Capital One Bowl, finished ranked #14 in AP & Coaches Polls)
2006 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2006_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 11-2 (won Cotton Bowl, finished ranked #9 in AP & #8 in Coaches Poll)
2007 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2007_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 9-4 (won Chick-fil-A Bowl, finished ranked #15 in AP & #14 in Coaches Poll)
2008 (http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2008_Auburn_Tigers_football&action=edit): 5-7

symple19
01-10-2010, 07:36 AM
The guy is solid and will do a good job. He also runs a clean program. Tech could definitely make some noise if Tubbs can get a decent defense going.

Best of luck to TT and Tubbs.

j-6
01-10-2010, 09:28 AM

He's said he wants to keep the offense in place and will not be bringing in his own staff..

I thought he was from Arkansas. Also, aren't they paying Tommy a million dollars a year more then they were paying Leach? I'm going off hearsay from a couple of angry drunk Tech fans I was hanging out with last night.

(By the way, Team Leach on Facebook is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I fail in being a college football internet geek for missing that all week.)

MajorMike
01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Didn't Auburn get put on probation while he was there?

symple19
01-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Nope. AU hasn't been on probation since 93' when they went undefeated and would've played in the NCG if not for the sanctions. They were also not allowed on TV, so a lot of people outside the south don't even remember that fantastic team.

DMX7
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM

The Alamobowl always draws high ratings. The fact that the Tech program had a little soap opera going on was all it needed to get a little extra attention. Don't think for a second that ESPN trashing Leach and sucking Ruffin's Dick all week long didn't have anything to do with them trying their hardest to promote that game.

Besides, Tuberville isn't bringing his own staff because he's using your program as a stepping stone. He'll be gone the first year he has an impressive season if anyone bigger will take him.

symple19
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Besides, Tuberville isn't bringing his own staff because he's using your program as a stepping stone. He'll be gone the first year he has an impressive season if anyone bigger will take him.

This is probably true.

Tommy's ego is as big as Leach's, only in a different, non-plank walking way.

Blake
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
My penis length is small time and is well below average, not that it matters.

Blake
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I thought he was from Arkansas. Also, aren't they paying Tommy a million dollars a year more then they were paying Leach? I'm going off hearsay from a couple of angry drunk Tech fans I was hanging out with last night.

you are correct. He is from Arkansas. I'm not sure where I read that he orginally was from W Texas.

(By the way, Team Leach on Facebook is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I fail in being a college football internet geek for missing that all week.)

it's hilarious.

Blake
01-10-2010, 11:51 PM
The Alamobowl always draws high ratings. The fact that the Tech program had a little soap opera going on was all it needed to get a little extra attention. Don't think for a second that ESPN trashing Leach and sucking Ruffin's Dick all week long didn't have anything to do with them trying their hardest to promote that game.

I'm well aware of reasons for the highest rating ever in ESPN bowl history.

Just giving jgw some shot for mentioning that USC's Emerald Bowl had the 2nd highest rating in espn bowl history.

eh, maybe. Every year, people would talk of Leach leaving to bigger things and it took Tech having to get rid of him.

If Tuberville has the run of the place, then why would he leave so quickly?

Spursfan092120
01-11-2010, 12:00 AM

OK, Blake..honest question...not to sound rude, but if he's not changing anything, and not bringing anyone in, what's going to be the difference? Different guy, yeah, but in my opinion, I think you guys need to run the ball a hell of a lot more to be successful.

Blake
01-11-2010, 03:08 AM
OK, Blake..honest question...not to sound rude, but if he's not changing anything, and not bringing anyone in, what's going to be the difference? Different guy, yeah, but in my opinion, I think you guys need to run the ball a hell of a lot more to be successful.

you mean like the way UT runs the ball?

I'll be expecting him to take the defense to another level.

symple19
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM

After thinking about it awhile, I realized you must be thinking of Tubbs while he was at Ole Miss. He inherited the Rebel program after it got hit hard with sanctions. It wasn't his doing.

j-6
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
you mean like the way UT runs the ball?

I'll be expecting him to take the defense to another level.

There's not that much difference in the Air Raid and any other collegiate spread offense as far as TOP goes. UT can go three-and-out and burn less than a minute off the clock. I think the offense has been used to crutch the D for a long time in Lubbock. Y'all may love Ruff but he's always played second fiddle.

Tubbs on field will be fine - he'll coach up what he has, but Tech Fan shouldn't want to burn the stadium down if you lose 5-6 games next year. I think recruiting will take it on the chin for a year or two because of the Leach backlash, but he's recruiting 18 year old kids. They live for the now and he'll get kids that want to play bigtime football immediately, just like Leach or Dykes used to tell kids wanting to play for Texas or OU.

I hate to say it but Tech made a smart, savvy hire and they'll be decent relatively soon. They got a ''name'' and he may work out. Better than going with a emotional hire unknown like Ruff when you play in the B12.

Blake
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
There's not that much difference in the Air Raid and any other collegiate spread offense as far as TOP goes. UT can go three-and-out and burn less than a minute off the clock. I think the offense has been used to crutch the D for a long time in Lubbock. Y'all may love Ruff but he's always played second fiddle.

Tubbs on field will be fine - he'll coach up what he has, but Tech Fan shouldn't want to burn the stadium down if you lose 5-6 games next year. I think recruiting will take it on the chin for a year or two because of the Leach backlash, but he's recruiting 18 year old kids. They live for the now and he'll get kids that want to play bigtime football immediately, just like Leach or Dykes used to tell kids wanting to play for Texas or OU.

I hate to say it but Tech made a smart, savvy hire and they'll be decent relatively soon. They got a ''name'' and he may work out. Better than going with a emotional hire unknown like Ruff when you play in the B12.

+1 on everything except that Tech wont lose 5-6 games next year. 4 max.

Blake
01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
:lol so much for Tuberville keeping the staff in place.....

Updated: 10:16 PM Jan 11, 2010

Troy's Neal Brown Contacted by Texas Tech
News-4 has confirmed that Troy Offensive Coordinator Neal Brown has been contacted by Texas Tech officials to gauge his interest in joining the Red Raiders.
Posted: 9:37 PM Jan 11, 2010
Reporter: Brad Sherwood
Email Address: [email protected]

It also sounds like McRuffin will be gone too.

I guess what was meant was that he will keep the same spread offense system in place.

gift of gab
01-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Nope. AU hasn't been on probation since 93' when they went undefeated and would've played in the NCG if not for the sanctions. They were also not allowed on TV, so a lot of people outside the south don't even remember that fantastic team.

they were ranked 4th. "would've played for the ncg" - doubt it. you are being a homer. nebraska and florida state were better teams IMO and the majority of the opinions which mattered pre-bcs days thought so as well.

I'm from the south and they were a great team, but not championship level IMO.

even if they were bowl eligible, they probably would have been overlooked (and for good reason)like the undefeated tuberville squad who didn't play for a championship.

i will concede that the 93 team was better than the undefeated tuberville team