01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
why do you feel that might be racist?

EmptyMan
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
lol

Yonivore
01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
why do you feel that might be racist?
I didn't express a feeling; I asked a question that doesn't express a feeling either way.

George Gervin's Afro
01-09-2010, 06:54 PM
did he mention a black guy at a gas station?

balli
01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I've never understood the whole 'black people like chicken' stereotype. I live in one of the whitest parts of the United States and I guarantee within about a five mile radius of where I sit now, there are probably 2000 lbs. of various chicken parts.

As a form of bigotry, it just doesn't make any sense!!! Everybody likes chicken. It's a fucking staple.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't express a feeling; I asked a question that doesn't express a feeling either way.So how do you feel about it?

Express your feelings.

hater
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
...racist?

You be the judge:

FftZt-Dw_hQ

looks like this is Australian commercial. Outside of the USA, EVERYONE loves chicken, not just black ppl. SO no, this is far from racist.

Once again americans misinterpreting things due to their ignorance of the outside world.

iggypop123
01-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I've never understood the whole 'black people like chicken' stereotype. I live in one of the whitest parts of the United States and I guarantee within about a five mile radius of where I sit now, there are probably 2000 lbs. of various chicken parts.

As a form of bigotry, it just doesn't make any sense!!! Everybody likes chicken. It's a fucking staple.

the stereotype is fried chicken

George Gervin's Afro
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
looks like this is Australian commercial. Outside of the USA, EVERYONE loves chicken, not just black ppl. SO no, this is far from racist.

Once again americans misinterpreting things due to their ignorance of the outside world.

you just described snc, jackie,and yoni....:lmao

EmptyMan
01-09-2010, 07:33 PM
It's funny because he is the only white guy in the crowd.

"Too easy" LOL

This is America brahs. Where "kool-aid drinker" while referring to Obama supporters was interpreted by many genius americans as a racist comment :lol

MavTalker
01-10-2010, 01:48 AM
If Rush talks about it it's racist, if Chris Rock talks about it it's comedy, isn't that how it goes?

Trainwreck2100
01-10-2010, 03:21 AM
the really racist commercial was that ford one where the mexican guy goes out to the construction site to show his bodies his truck, then they proceed to eat out the back of the truck.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 04:28 AM
BTW, is black South Africans loving fried chicken an officially recognized derogatory racial stereotype yet? Honestly. I don't know.

What's the current status of this item, Yoni? I don't really keep track of stuff like this. Surely you must already have formed an opinion.

You brought it up, what's your take?

SnakeBoy
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I've never understood the whole 'black people like chicken' stereotype.

Black people like fried chicken. It's true.

wJ4B7G8Rw3Q

balli
01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
If Rush talks about it it's racist, if Chris Rock talks about it it's comedy, isn't that how it goes?

People are so retarded sometimes. In case you haven't noticed, Chris Rock is a professional comedian. And y'know, he's black. He doesn't get paid to influence politics, or be taken seriously in such an arena... he gets paid to make people laugh.

Your incredibly small-minded 'argument' is about as dumb as it gets. Good job. :tu

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM

wJ4B7G8Rw3Q
So, it's not a stereotype; it's just the truth?

I'm confused because, gratuitously tying blacks to fried chicken and, in a manner that suggests, it's keeping them from kicking some white guy's ass, seems a bit stereotypical and racist to me.

It's as if KFC is saying, thank God that guy brought KFC or those black cricket fans would be all over his ass.

I think it's a racist add but, because it's set in what liberals considered an enlightened country, it must be something else. I also think -- aside from the peaceful religion of Islam -- most other countries are less politically-correct than we've become.

balli
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I think it's a racist add [sic]
I mainly think that you're just a fucking idiot. :toast

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I mainly think that you're just a fucking idiot. :toast
You know, Godwin's Law dictates that an argument is lost when you invoke comparisons to Hitler. There should be (and may, indeed, already be) a similar law that dictates an argument is lost when you start grading the spelling and grammar of another.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
You know, Godwin's Law dictates that an argument is lost when you invoke comparisons to Hitler. There should be (and may, indeed, already be) a similar law that dictates an argument is lost when you start grading the spelling and grammar of another.

Or maybe the accusation fits and you are an idiot.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Or maybe the accusation fits and you are an idiot.
Personal attacks fall under yet another law that dictates the attacker is losing. A fundamental rule of debating.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Personal attacks fall under yet another law that dictates the attacker is losing. A fundamental rule of debating.

I'm not debating you..I think you are an idiot regardless of the debate.

balli
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't call you a fucking idiot for your bad grammar. I called you such, because it is what you are. Your inability to spell and/or type was pointed out as a trifling side note.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I didn't call you a fucking idiot for your bad grammar. I called you such, because it is what you are. Your inability to spell and/or type was pointed out as a trifling side note.
And, I rest my case.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not debating you..I think you are an idiot regardless of the debate.
I'm okay with that so long as you realize you've been out-debated by someone you deem to be an idiot.

Cool.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm okay with that so long as you realize you've been out-debated by someone you deem to be an idiot.

Cool.

This thread is waste of space but that's your MO.. Now go back and pretend you know what people are thinking yoni..

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
This thread is waste of space but that's your MO.. Now go back and pretend you know what people are thinking yoni..
Y'all are the ones that got side-tracked on personal attacks and started wasting bandwidths.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Now, let's see if SnakeBoy cares to get it back on topic

wJ4B7G8Rw3Q

I'm confused because, gratuitously tying blacks to fried chicken and, in a manner that suggests, it's keeping them from kicking some white guy's ass, seems a bit stereotypical and racist to me.

It's as if KFC is saying, thank God that guy brought KFC or those black cricket fans would be all over his ass.

I think it's a racist add but, because it's set in what liberals considered an enlightened country, it must be something else. I also think -- aside from the peaceful religion of Islam -- most other countries are less politically-correct than we've become.

jack sommerset
01-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, it's racist. Not so much about the chicken but how black people take free shit to get them to shut up. Not cool of KFC.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
jack and Yoni take a turn as defenders of racial justice against the only kind of racism that exists anymore besides the totally unjust persecution of whites as racists: liberal paternalism.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
jack and Yoni take a turn as defenders of racial justice against the only kind of racism that exists anymore besides the totally unjust persecution of whites as racists: liberal paternalism.
Actually, Winhole, I'm just pointing out the selective indignation of the race-baiting liberal left.

Had this commercial aired in America, it would be all we heard about for weeks until KFC were either bankrupted or forced to give a few million dollars to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to assuage their guilt.

jack sommerset
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I was only kidding. It's not racist. Americans thinks tons of shit is racist. I see cricket supporters eating KFC. That orginal recipe is the bomb. Pss, I have a secret to tell you, white people eat chicken everyday so it can't just be the black people who like it.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Who has ever considered Australia enlightened?

jack sommerset
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
"It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team . The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

Rep from KFC Australia

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
"It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team . The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

Rep from KFC Australia
That's what I'd say...unless, apparently, I'm Dave Chappelle.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
That's what I'd say...unless, apparently, I'm Dave Chappelle.But you just said you thought it was a racist ad.

Chappelle also said the assumption was racist, so you agree with him.

jack sommerset
01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
If the ad was for McDonalds and the guy passed out Big Macs, nobody would be having this race conversation in America.

Americans have this racist stereotype that black people love chicken. This commericial was intended for Australians not Americans.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 05:41 PM
If the ad was for McDonalds and the guy passed out Big Macs, nobody would be having this race conversation in America.

Americans have this racist stereotype that black people love chicken. This commericial was intended for Australians not Americans.
The point is, it's not McDonald's and if that ad had been shown in American, KFC would have been taken to the cleaners by the Reverends....regardless of whether or not KFC intended any racial undertones.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
The point is, it's not McDonald's and if that ad had been shown in American, KFC would have been taken to the cleaners by the Reverends....regardless of whether or not KFC intended any racial undertones.So the point is America has racial stereotypes.

Cool story.

jack sommerset
01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Mick uses his chicken on the in-laws in order to watch the cricket game. There is a pattern here!

wWzs28efWBI

Findog
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Actually, Winhole, I'm just pointing out the selective indignation of the race-baiting liberal left.I know. I also noticed you had to bring it up yourself in order to pass comment on it. The indignation so far in evidence is mostly yours.

Had this commercial aired in America, it would be all we heard about for weeks until KFC were either bankrupted or forced to give a few million dollars to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to assuage their guilt.Are you disappointed over the nonparticipation of Jesse and Al in the so-called controversy?

The commercial was not intended for any US audience, but instead for semi-civilized Australians. It did not air in the US.

What do you find so captivating about the counterfactual situation? Did reality get too wearisome for you? Why should we care how things would've turned out if things had been otherwise than they are?

@Yoni: Often it seems as if your passion for argumentation not only descends upon weak reeds, but tests them in succession. In this case, it depends on your thesis that the OP surely would've raised an aggrieved and general ruckus, if things had somehow been otherwise than they are. But the case is not otherwise, and yours is one of pure speculation about counterfactual bs.

You're clearly disappointed this isn't a big deal. You're trying to make it into a really big deal, but really, it isn't.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
I know. I also noticed you had to bring it up yourself in order to pass comment on it. The indignation so far in evidence is mostly yours.
I would say that since KFC had to issue a statement -- and, I think we can safely assume it wasn't due to my post on SpursTalk.com -- your statement isn't exactly accurate. Apparently, there was some indignation somewhere.

Are you disappointed?
About what?

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Edited above, with my apologies.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Apparently, there was some indignation somewhere.Australia.

DMX7
01-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Well... Chris Rock is a comedian... and there is something called context.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Australia.
No, their statement was released after the video was released in America. It was only then they felt is necessary to issue the statement.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Maybe AussieFanKurt can weigh in. Who else is an Aussie around here?

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
No, their statement was released after the video was released in America. It was only then they felt is necessary to issue the statement.Presumably then, the ad wasn't considered offensive in Australia, but the kerfuffle arose over the posting here, and Yoni is single-handedly keeping it alive here on SpursTalk. How interesting.

Yonivore
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Presumably then, the ad wasn't considered offensive in Australia, but the kerfuffle arose over the posting here, and Yoni is single-handedly keeping it alive here on SpursTalk. How interesting.
Maybe they're not the politically correct pussies in Australia that we have over here.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't doubt it a bit.

Winehole23
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe they're not the politically correct pussies in Australia that we have over here.I find it PC to the max that you are upholding a complaint of racial injustice here. It's like you're peeved at having been unfairly deprived of the flames of anti-racist insanity, or something.

You should get over it.

Blake
01-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Yoni, how do you feel about the killing of innocent chickens?

ChumpDumper
01-11-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why Yoni is outraged that no one anywhere is outraged at this ad.

Oh, Gee!!
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Is yoni upset that Sharpton and Jackson haven't flown down under to protest? Or, is he upset that he can't get the same quality ads here in the U.S.?

Oh, Gee!!
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
The point is, it's not McDonald's and if that ad had been shown in American, KFC would have been taken to the cleaners by the Reverends....regardless of whether or not KFC intended any racial undertones.

funny--yoni attacking jack's hypo as "besides the point," when his own premise is based on the hypothetical of what would happen "if" this ad were aired in the U.S.

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Yoni is outraged that no one anywhere is outraged at this ad.Because he tried to stir outrage against KFC and failed.

It was a set piece. Is KFC...racist?

Yoni's assumptions about us were wrong, and now he probably wishes we were otherwise, to prove his point.

z0sa
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Since we're on the subject..

is the film Avatar racist?

Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?" Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

The film's writer and director, James Cameron, says the real theme is about respecting others' differences.

In the film (read no further if you don't want the plot spoiled for you) a white, paralyzed Marine, Jake Sully, is mentally linked to an alien's body and set loose on the planet Pandora. His mission: persuade the mystic, nature-loving Na'vi to make way for humans to mine their land for unobtanium, worth $20 million per kilo back home.

Like Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves" and Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai" or as far back as Jimmy Stewart in the 1950 Western "Broken Arrow," Sully soon switches sides. He falls in love with the Na'vi princess and leads the bird-riding, bow-and-arrow-shooting aliens to victory over the white men's spaceships and mega-robots.

Adding to the racial dynamic is that the main Na'vi characters are played by actors of color, led by a Dominican, Zoe Saldana, as the princess. The film also is an obvious metaphor for how European settlers in America wiped out the Indians.

Robinne Lee, an actress in such recent films as "Seven Pounds" and "Hotel for Dogs," said that "Avatar" was "beautiful" and that she understood the economic logic of casting a white lead if most of the audience is white.

But she said the film, which so far has the second-highest worldwide box-office gross ever, still reminded her of Hollywood's "Pocahontas" story — "the Indian woman leads the white man into the wilderness, and he learns the way of the people and becomes the savior."

"It's really upsetting in many ways," said Lee, who is black with Jamaican and Chinese ancestry. "It would be nice if we could save ourselves."

Annalee Newitz, editor-in-chief of the sci-fi Web site io9.com, likened "Avatar" to the recent film "District 9," in which a white man accidentally becomes an alien and then helps save them, and 1984's "Dune," in which a white man becomes an alien Messiah.

"Main white characters realize that they are complicit in a system which is destroying aliens, AKA people of color ... (then) go beyond assimilation and become leaders of the people they once oppressed," she wrote.

"When will whites stop making these movies and start thinking about race in a new way?" wrote Newitz, who is white.

Black film professor and author Donald Bogle said he can understand why people would be troubled by "Avatar," although he praised it as a "stunning" work.

"A segment of the audience is carrying in the back of its head some sense of movie history," said Bogle, author of "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies & Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films."

Bogle stopped short, however, of calling the movie racist.

"It's a film with still a certain kind of distortion," he said. "It's a movie that hasn't yet freed itself of old Hollywood traditions, old formulas."

Writer/director Cameron, who is white, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that his film "asks us to open our eyes and truly see others, respecting them even though they are different, in the hope that we may find a way to prevent conflict and live more harmoniously on this world. I hardly think that is a racist message."

There are many ways to interpret the art that is "Avatar."

What does it mean that in the final, sequel-begging scene, Sully abandons his human body and transforms into one of the Na'vi for good? Is Saldana's Na'vi character the real heroine because she, not Sully, kills the arch-villain? Does it matter that many conservatives are riled by what they call liberal environmental and anti-military messages?

Is Cameron actually exposing the historical evils of white colonizers? Does the existence of an alien species expose the reality that all humans are actually one race?

"Can't people just enjoy movies any more?" a person named Michelle posted on the Web site for Essence, the magazine for black women, which had 371 comments on a story debating the issue.

Although the "Avatar" debate springs from Hollywood's historical difficulties with race, Will Smith recently saved the planet in "I Am Legend," and Denzel Washington appears ready to do the same in the forthcoming "Book of Eli."

Bogle, the film historian, said that he was glad Cameron made the film and that it made people think about race.

"Maybe there is something he does want to say and put across" about race, Bogle said. "Maybe if he had a black hero in there, that point would have been even stronger."

___

Jesse Washington covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press.

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
...hasn't seen it yet, so can't really judge. It sounds like the standard liberal tripe about seeking the universe and finding your own face.

Or your dead daddy's voice (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/)...

Oh, Gee!!
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Because he meant to stir outrage against KFC and failed.

what's his beef with KFC? no pun intended

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Dark-skinned Australians, shown enjoying KFC product in an ad. How did they ever get away with that?

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Yoni's beef is basically that KFC didn't rub it in our faces, but aired it only in Australia. He apparently wishes the case were otherwise.

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
... gives the z0sa hijack his hearty approbation, even though it merits its own thread. It's a better topic.

Oh, Gee!!
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Actually, Winhole, I'm just pointing out the selective indignation of the race-baiting liberal left.

yoni's mad because U.S. liberals aren't monitoring commercials overseas for racist content.

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
yoni's mad because U.S. liberals aren't monitoring commercials overseas for racist content.Well, at least Yoni is monitoring it for us.

I. Hustle
01-11-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.gifanatics.com/files/keentuckyyy17.gif

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
^^^cornbreadd thread?

SnakeBoy
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM

It's both. Stereotypes aren't necessarily racist. Is it racist to say that germans like german food when not all do? Or mexicans like mexican food? Why the outrage over the suggestion that negros (or is it negroids, I'll have to ask Senator Reid) like soul food? Fried chicken is good, liking it is nothing to be ashamed of. Negros should eat their fried chicken with pride.

Now I need to make a trip to Earl Abels, they got really good fried chicken.

Oh, Gee!!
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll have to ask Senator Reid.

:lol

z0sa
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
... gives the z0sa hijack his hearty approbation, even though it merits its own thread. It's a better topic.

:toast

possessed
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Harry Reed agrees that the common negro loves dem some fried chicken.

EmptyMan
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Everybody want a piece of my chicken, southern fried chicken, finger-lickin'.

I got a paaaaaan. I got a plaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I'ma fry this chicken in my haaaaaand.