PDA

View Full Version : Vlad Guerrero to the Rangers

BUMP
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
And my dad's the first one to post it (T.R. Sullivan) :clap

Spursfan092120
01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Fuck yeah....Vlad....my top team gets a hell of a player.

EricB
01-10-2010, 12:59 AM
My first reaction is, meh......
Rather have had Dye.

Dr. Gonzo
01-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Fuck yeah....Vlad....my top team gets a hell of a player.

He was a hell of a player 4 years ago.

I think he's done. Luckily it was only a 1 year deal.

sribb43
01-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Considering what JD had available to spend this offseason, I think he has done a great job adding pieces to the roster. Vlad isn't anything like he once was but he will have a chance to stay healthy by being at DH and will provide more protection for Josh than Bryd did. Pitchers still fear Vlad bc he can hit any pitch no matter the location

Chris
01-10-2010, 03:22 AM
As a Rangers fan, this is tough to swallow. I HATE the Angels, and for us to have one of their best players in the lineup is just nuts. Hopefully he can still play RF occasionally.

timvp
01-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Damn it I'm going to have to watch Rangers games this year.

monosylab1k
01-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Nobody outside of a Yankees uniform has curbstomped the Rangers harder than Vlad Guerrero has in his career. So it's nice to not have to contend with that. Although if his career of being a Ranger killer continues it means he's going to suck hard.

pkbpkb81
01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
he has some of the best numbers in the history of the ball park in arlgton so he should do well playing for 82 games this year

Whisky Dog
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
That's going to be odd. I've always hated this dude and now that he sucks he's on our team.

Texas Chili Dog
01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
The only thing I like about this is that now he won't be killing us. But I'd rather him just have gone to a NL team and out of our hair completely.

Spursfan092120
01-10-2010, 06:29 PM
He was a hell of a player 4 years ago.

I think he's done. Luckily it was only a 1 year deal.
Maybe he'll have a comeback year...we'll see...I think he's got some juice left in him...no pun intended.

dallaskd
01-10-2010, 11:48 PM
hell yeah, rangers baseball is gonna be awesome this year.

Spursfan092120
01-10-2010, 11:57 PM
hell yeah, rangers baseball is gonna be awesome this year.
Sure hope so...I'd love to see my two teams go at it in the World Series..Rangers vs. Cards...I'd root for the Rangers though.

Whisky Dog
01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Rangers also signed Khalil Green, utility guy to replace Vizquel.

At least the mental stability of the team went down with that signing.

lefty
01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Damn it I'm going to have to watch Rangers games this year.
+1

Vlad was my favorite Expo

buhog
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
OK, drop Astros pick up Rangers!

Dr. Gonzo
02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
OK, drop Astros pick up Rangers!

Sounds like you are one of those pussy fans like 90210 that flakes on a team when they are down and picks up another.

buhog
02-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Props to you dic-wad. You've targeted my team (Bleed Blue since 1955). As far as the Astros and Rangers are concerned. They strive for mediocrity they let most of their good players walk or trade them. It's hard to be a fan.

Whisky Dog
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Rangers also signed Khalil Green, utility guy to replace Vizquel.

At least the mental stability of the team went down with that signing.

Well, looks like the mental stability was non-existent. Why would you depend on a mentally weak utility guy? A utility guy has to deal with the stress of having to perform on call at 4 different positions, not a good spot for a guy that can't deal with stress at all.

Greene expected to miss Spring Training
Rangers infielder again experiencing social anxiety disorder

02/22/10 1:22 PM EST
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Rangers, caught by surprise on Sunday evening, are moving forward under the assumption that utility infielder Khalil Greene will not be with them in Spring Training.
The Rangers were informed on Sunday that Greene will not be reporting this week because he is dealing with social anxiety disorder, an issue that put him on the disabled list twice last year while with the Cardinals.
"It impacts us tremendously," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We were depending on Khalil."
General manager Jon Daniels was informed of the situation on Sunday evening by one of Greene's agents, Mike Milchin.
"It's a re-occurrence of the issues that he has dealt with in the past," Daniels said. "Based on that and how he was feeling, he is not going to be reporting to camp. Obviously we are going to be very supportive of Khalil while he gets his arms around the situation.
"We can't tell you right now if he's going to come back or when it would be. We'll be open-minded, but we're going to plan as if he's not going to be here. If that changes, we'll adjust."
As far as Greene's immediate status, the Rangers will look into different options, including putting him on the disabled list, the restricted list or voiding his contract. Greene agreed to a one-year, $750,000 deal in the offseason.
"All those are on the table," Daniels said. "This is an amicable situation. We're working with Mike Milchin. The priority is to give him time and privacy to deal with the matter. Administrative and procedural details are secondary."
To replace Greene, the Rangers are looking at internal and external options, and have interest in free agent infielder Felipe Lopez. The Rangers will also look hard at Joaquin Arias, a one-time top prospect who has been dealing with shoulder issues for the past three years. Ray Olmedo, who is in camp on a Minor League contract, is also a possibility.
"It's an unfortunate situation because we felt Khalil was a real good fit for our club." Daniels said. "There are guys on the free-agent market -- we'll look at that -- and guys in camp. We'll be open-minded. The guys in camp will get a legitimate chance."
Esteban German is another utility infielder in camp on a Minor League contract, but the Rangers do not view him as a viable candidate at shortstop. Washington made it clear that his No. 1 priority for a utility infielder is to be able to play shortstop.
Elvis Andrus, 21, enters his second season as the Rangers' shortstop, but Washington still wants to be careful how he uses him over a 162-game season. Washington said the ideal scenario would be for Andrus to play 145-150 games.
"The kid is in his second year," Washington said. "I want to keep him strong like last year. I don't want to push him out there for 155-160 games. Next year, he might be the stud, but my plan is to get as much out of him as I possibly can."
Arias was acquired from the Yankees in the 2004 trade that sent Alex Rodriguez to New York. At one time, Arias was considered the Rangers shortstop of the future. But that changed in the '07 Spring Training when he injured his shoulder while trying to play the outfield.
Arias has spent the past three years trying to re-gain his shoulder strength and durability. He played shortstop at Triple-A Oklahoma last year and this winter in the Dominican Republic, but there is still some question if his shoulder will hold up to the demands at shortstop.
"I feel 100 percent," Arias said after arriving in camp on Monday. "I feel strong, I feel good, I feel ready."
Arias, who showed up in camp on Monday, is also out of options, meaning he would have to clear waivers to be sent to the Minor Leagues.
"I don't want to play in Oklahoma City," Arias said. "I want to play in the big leagues. This is my time. It was a little frustrating the past three years, but right now I'm ready ... 2007, I'm forgetting, 2010, I'm ready to go."
Olmedo has played in 198 games with the Reds and the Blue Jays, including 91 at shortstop, but has not been in the big leagues since 2007. A 28-year-old switch-hitter from Venezuela, Olmedo was at Triple-A Durham in the Rays' organization last year and hit .250 with a .290 on-base percentage in 115 games and 450 plate appearances.
Washington admitted he knows very little about Olmedo.
"Only that he comes as a guy who can catch the baseball," Washington said. "But we're going to look at him."
The Rangers had other plans for Greene besides playing shortstop. That was the No. 1 priority, but he was also their first line of defense at third base in case of injury to Michael Young. The Rangers struggled at the position last September when Young went down with a hamstring injury.
The Rangers want protection there and that's why they pushed hard to acquire Mike Lowell from the Red Sox. They were also hoping Greene could play first base occasionally to spell Chris Davis. Matt Brown, a right-handed batter who hit .245 with 13 home runs and 69 RBIs in 107 games at Triple-A Salt Lake City last year, is the Rangers' best Minor League invite candidate to backup at both first and third base.
"We're trying to put a good club together and Khalil certainly would have been a part of it," Washington said. "Now he's not. We'll move on. We're not going to let it be a hindrance."