PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Champions League soccer

alamo50
04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, yeah spare me the bullcrap!

I just wanna know on what channel here in San Antonio will I be able to watch the semi-final match between AC Milan and PSV Eindhoven played at 13:45 this afternoon?

No, I don't care for the dutch club p$v, I am an AJAX Amsterdam supporter and love for AC Milan to win this game.

alamo50
04-26-2005, 01:44 PM
MOFO BUMP!

:pctoss

MannyIsGod
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Your best bet is going to be to find a bar with FS World. Other than that, they don't cary it here. It sucks being a soccer fan in the US. Other than the world cup, we don't get shit.

alamo50
04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply Manny.

Well AC Milan beat p$v 2-0 so I am having a good day.
Anybody wanna hook up somewhere to watch the return game on Wednesday the 4th of May at 1:45PM?

Come on, you guys have an American playing in the semi-finals of the best soccer tournament of the world!

N.Y. Johnny
04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Manny.

Well AC Milan beat p$v 2-0 so I am having a good day.
Anybody wanna hook up somewhere to watch the return game on Wednesday the 4th of May at 1:45PM?

Come on, you guys have an American playing in the semi-finals of the best soccer tournament of the world!

Excellent! I'm a big AC Milan fan and Serie A fan. I'm glad they won the match.

Rossoneiri siamo noi! ma chi cazzo siete voi!

http://www.radiodeporte.8m.com/imagenes/acm.jpg
http://www.eslusa.org/Listings/Italy/images/italy_flag.gif

Clandestino
04-26-2005, 04:54 PM
i thought the best soccer tourney was the world cup...

alamo50
04-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Nope.
With the country teams there are usualy some players dicking around at their position because that country doesn't have any good players at that spot.

In the Champions league the best international players are playing at their position for the clubteams that advance to the finals.

Tomorrow it's Chelsea vs. Liverpool

Here is a recap from today's game Johnny (because I assume you are at work and therefore weren't able to watch the game):

Milan punish profligate PSV
Tuesday, 26 April 2005
By Matthew Spiro at San Siro

Strikes at the end of each half, from Andriy Shevchenko and Jon Dahl Tomasson, gave AC Milan a two-goal cushion to take into next week's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg at PSV Eindhoven.

Late blow
The Dutch champions gave a good account of themselves in Italy and looked set to restrict the home side to only a one-goal lead, given to them by Shevchenko three minutes before half-time. PSV could easily have levelled matters after the break, and were made to pay seconds before the final whistle as Kaká's blocked shot fell perfectly for substitute Tomasson to turn in.

Midfield reinforcements
Milan were bolstered by the return from suspension of Gennaro Gattuso while Andrea Pirlo started after a knee injury. The meanest defence in the competition was without the banned Alessandro Nesta, but Jaap Stam recovered from a tweaked hamstring to face his former club and Kakha Kaladze was fielded at left-back.

Pacy attack
PSV coach Guus Hiddink left Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink on the bench, preferring to utilise the pace of DaMarcus Beasley on the right. It was the PSV defenders who saw most of the early action, however, as the home side laid siege to Heurelho Gomes's goal.

Milan on top
A diagonal pass from Pirlo picked out Shevchenko but the Ukrainian's side-foot volley was gathered by Gomes. Hernán Crespo then had a shot blocked by Alex before Gomes touched over another effort from the Argentinian. But the Dutch side, fresh from wrapping up their 18th domestic title on Saturday, have been nothing if not tenacious this season, and slowly got a foothold in the game.

Farfán threat
Phillip Cocu began asserting his influence in midfield and helped set up Jefferson Farfán, but the Peruvian's low shot was saved by Dida. PSV looked dangerous on the counterattack, with the direct running of Park causing particular problems, and created a glorious opportunity in the 19th minute, Farfán springing Milan's offside trap but shooting weakly at Dida.

Shevchenko reward
Milan heeded the warning and were soon in the ascendancy again. Shevchenko jinked in from the left only to be denied by Gomes, who then pushed Kaká's shot around the post. The PSV goalkeeper did brilliantly to keep out another ferocious Kaká drive on 33 minutes, but the pressure ultimately proved too much for the visitors. Three minutes before the break, Kaká's through-ball released Shevchenko, who outpaced Wilfred Bouma and coolly slotted his low shot past Gomes.

PSV pressure
PSV reorganised at the break with midfield player Theo Lucius replacing the injured Bouma, allowing Cocu to drop into defence. The visitors seemed reinvigorated by the switch and Dida almost fumbled Young-Pyo Lee's low strike into the net, while Lucius and Farfán had efforts blocked before Park latched on to Farfán's cross but shot straight at the Milan goalkeeper.

Important stop
The game was surprisingly open and Crespo had already squandered a chance when Shevchenko's wonderful lob was tipped over by the outstanding Gomes. Hiddink sent on Vennegoor of Hesselink for the last 30 minutes and PSV were soon on the attack again, Mark van Bommel profiting from Kaladze's mistake but shooting narrowly over from close range.

Ooijer out
Milan finished the stronger of the two sides, and PSV right-back André Ooijer picked up a booking that rules him out of the second leg. The visitors defended resolutely until the end, however, and seemed to have preserved their chances of going through in front of their own fans in eight days' time, only for Tomasson's last-ditch strike to leave them with it all to do.

Clandestino
04-26-2005, 05:42 PM
that is just your opinion.. the rest of the world see the world cup as the best...

darrenbatty
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
ESPN2 is televising the champions league game(Chelsea and Liverpool game) tommorow at 2:30 or 3:30ET. They should have been showing the ACMilan game today as well.

alamo50
04-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Of course that's "just" my opinion.
It's a forum.

Want another opinion?
Put AC Milan on the field with any country team in the world and Milan will win without a doubt.

Thanks for the info Batty!

kolko
04-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Put AC Milan on the field with any country team in the world and Milan will win without a doubt.

Except Boca Juniors of Argentina. :spin

alamo50
04-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Boca Juniors is a club team....

Anyway, here's a cool article about DaMarcus Beasley:

An American in ... Eindhoven
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

EINDHOVEN, Netherlands — As red and white confetti poured from the black sky, DaMarcus Beasley took a swig from a cartoonishly large bottle of champagne.

"This is by far the best — my first championship as a professional," he said.

As soon as his Dutch soccer club, PSV Eindhoven, clinched the league title after a 3-0 victory Saturday against Vitesse Arnhem, PSV's players were given hats which read "Kampioen." Beasley took a black cap and stylishly cocked it to the right.

As his teammates teased him about being so American — "Your hat is wrong," a few said — they tried to straighten Beasley's bill.

Beasley, 22, is one of the USA's leading exports in his first year abroad in the Netherlands' top professional league. (Related item: Other Americans in Champions League)

Tuesday he is expected to become the first American to play in the semifinals of the Champions League, Europe's premier club tournament. PSV Eindhoven meets Italian power AC Milan at San Siro Stadium, one of the sport's grand cathedrals. (Related item: Beasley, PSV fall 2-0 in Milan)

Beasley, a forward who has started in more than half of PSV's games, leads his team with four goals in 12 Champions League games and is his club's third-leading scorer overall with 12 goals in 42 games. Almost seamlessly, the Fort Wayne, Ind., native has quickly fit in with a culture (and a couture) markedly different from his own.

"The thing about DaMarcus that I continually find so remarkable is he's never intimidated by the setting, and that's always been one of the qualities that separates him from so many of our players, including our veterans as well," U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena says.

"For every player, even the most accomplished, when they go to a new environment, it takes some time to adjust. That was the case with DaMarcus. But obviously his learning curve is a lot shorter than most people. It won't be surprising to see him move forward and probably have a long career in Europe and play with an even bigger club at some point."

Last summer, when Beasley first arrived in Eindhoven, the country's fifth-largest city but more of a sleepy suburb in south Netherlands, PSV captain Mark van Bommel quickly came up with a nickname for the young American: "McDonald's."

In the USA, he's known as "Beas." In the Netherlands, he's a burger.

"They call me McDonald's because they think that all Americans eat is McDonald's. Then they'll call me 'Hamburger,' too. If I'm going to eat, they'll be like, 'Beasley, where you going to eat — McDonald's?' " Beasley says with a laugh.

Beasley, who is French-fry skinny, prefers large steaks at his favorite local joint, Rodeo. "He's really American," says van Bommel, who is really Dutch.

His fashion sense — urban chic meets baggy sweats — also sets Beasley apart from his teammates. "They wear very tight clothes, tight jeans. It's ridiculous," said Beasley, who is 5-7, 125. "My pants are not big-big, but something I can move around in."

"He wears clothes my size," said PSV's Brazilian goalkeeper Gomes, 55 pounds heavier and eight inches taller.

Even so, Beasley has found that life in Eindhoven fits just fine, despite the lack of big-city excitement, the abundance of men in tight jeans, the techno music in clubs instead of hip-hop and the mayonnaise slathered on everything from tacos to fries.

Just about everyone in the Netherlands speaks English. But Beasley, with a few teammates, takes Dutch lessons at PSV's training facility.

"It's hilarious in class because I'm in there with Brazilians and a Peruvian, and them trying to speak Dutch is worse than me," Beasley says.

Indiana-born, but soccer chosen

The pace is certainly slower than his life in Chicago, where he spent the previous five seasons playing for the Fire. (He signed with Major League Soccer as a 16-year-old in 1999.) Eindhoven has a strip of pubs, a modern arts museum and two Philips museums devoted to the electronics giant, which was founded here.

"There's not much else, not much to do, to tell you the truth," Beasley says. Except play soccer.

"That's why my mom likes Eindhoven so much," says Beasley, who lives a few blocks from PSV's stadium, in a boxy, brown apartment building teeming with senior citizens. "She knows how I like to have fun, and she knows what's good for me."

Eindhoven is not unlike his hometown of Fort Wayne.

"Fort Wayne is a big suburb, a nice place to raise a family, quiet, friendly — like Eindhoven," Beasley says.

Both places are also known for producing practical products that modernized the world. Fort Wayne manufactured the first washing machines, TV sets and refrigerators. In Eindhoven, two brothers named Philips set up a company in 1891 to make "incandescent lamps," otherwise known as light bulbs.

Beasley's parents, Joetta and Henry, who work for a company that makes axels and other automotive parts, spend their free time watching their two soccer-playing sons, whether it be via the Dutch broadcast on the Internet or from the stands.

Their next trip to the Netherlands will be in mid-May, but their commute to see their 25-year-old son, Jamar, who plays for the Kansas City Comets of the Major Indoor Soccer League, is much easier.

The boys started playing soccer after their father, unfamiliar with the sport, brought home a soccer ball when DaMarcus was about 5. Soon the Beasleys were hooked. Their friends didn't quite get it, though.

"They asked, 'Why are you playing soccer? You should be playing basketball or football. Soccer is a girl's sport,' " Beasley said. "I got that all the time. But that's what I liked to play. It was fun and we were good at it."

Most kids from the Hoosier state idolized Larry Bird, but Beasley fancied "Les Bleus," the French national team, specifically Michel Platini. His brother was fascinated with Pele. Their mom bought them highlight tapes of their favorite players and they got immersed in European soccer.

"It was never America. It was always Europe because that's where real soccer is played," Beasley says. "There's so much passion, so much love for the sport. Here people have PSV tattoos on their chest and arms and necks. You'll never see that in MLS — ever.

"A person who has a Chicago Fire tattoo? Here they cry and they can't function when we lose. It will mess up somebody's day. It's so deep in their blood growing up with their club. That's what I wanted to be a part of."

Facing down prejudice

Of course, the world's most popular sport is not without its problems.

In his first Eindhoven game, a Champions League qualifier against Red Star Belgrade in Serbia and Montenegro last August, Beasley, who is African-American, was rudely welcomed to European soccer.

"Whenever I got the ball they would whistle, boo and make monkey noises. That was my first real racism experience," Beasley says. "I tried to block it out of my head and play. You have 65,000 people screaming at you and it's only you. It's crazy."

On the road in the Netherlands, Beasley faces similar treatment at times.

"I don't understand it because the fans of the teams that do it also have black players," he says.

"A lot of good black players don't want to play in some countries because racism is so bad. Spain is bad, Italy is bad. Holland isn't so bad. Fans should judge (a player) on how he does on the field and not the color of his skin."

On the field, Beasley's play has been worthy of cheers.

"This is quite an achievement for him," PSV coach Guus Hiddink, a Dutch legend who also guided South Korea to the 2002 World Cup semifinals, says about the significance of Beasley becoming the first American to play in the Champions League semifinals. "We are very happy with his performances."

Playing on the left or right wing, Beasley has further developed his attacking skills, scoring almost as many goals this season as he did in his entire MLS tenure.

PSV, which launched the careers of Ronaldo and Romario, has built its reputation by buying young players relatively inexpensively (paying MLS $2.5 million for Beasley) and then selling them for a profit to bigger clubs in England, Italy or Spain.

"I think for youngsters coming into Europe, like Beasley, that PSV is a main gate to be successful — at PSV and also later on for other clubs," Hiddink says. "We have proven it with Romario and Ronaldo that this is the ideal club to develop."

Championship times

Saturday night, when PSV won its 18th league title, 100-year-old Frits Philips, the son of one of the company's founders, was in the stands. As the team celebrated, van Bommel took the silver championship shield over to Philips and wrapped a championship scarf around his neck.

The passion of the Dutch fans, which attracted Beasley to European soccer, could be felt from the start.

Before Beasley stood at midfield for the opening kickoff, Tina Turner's Simply the Best, the club slogan, was blasted over the loudspeakers. Most fans stood throughout the game. The only empty seats among the 36,000 were many of the 1,600 designated for visiting fans, a section fenced off from the rest of the stadium.

Throughout the game, PSV's fans sang songs — "We love you PSV, yes we do" — about their team and their beloved players. When the home team went ahead 2-0, their fans chanted, "Are you watching Amsterdam?" taunting their rival, Ajax of Amsterdam.

When the game ended, the party began. Gallons of red and white confetti were shot from cannons. A popular Dutch singer took the microphone and belted out drinking songs. "It's raining beer," one went. "There's only one thing to do. Just drink it!"

Beasley, who started and played all 90 minutes, danced to the unfamiliar tunes but added his style. The hat cocked to the side. The shorts dangling near his skinny knees. An American playing soccer in Europe, a European football player who's an American. He fits in just fine.

As he stood on the championship platform, he scanned the delirious crowd, grabbed that enormous bottle of champagne and did exactly what the song said. He drank it all in.

BIG STEP FOR U.S. SOCCER
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands — DaMarcus Beasley has always dreamed of playing in Italy's San Siro Stadium and Tuesday he is expected to get that chance when his Dutch club PSV Eindhoven meets AC Milan in the Champions League semifinals.

Beasley would become the first American to play in the semifinals of the prestigious European club tournament. Jovan Kirovski is the only other American to advance to the semifinal stage, for Germany's Borussia Dortmund in 1997. But Kirovski, a reserve, did not play.

In the second leg of the semifinal, PSV will host AC Milan on May 4.

"To be the first American player goes to show Americans are coming along, slowly, but we're coming along, playing for top teams in Europe," Beasley says. "And we're making contributions to the team, not just sitting on the bench. I'm sure I won't be the last one to do it in the Champions League."

Few expected PSV to be among the Final Four of Europe's top club tournament. Liverpool will play Chelsea in the other semifinal Wednesday.

"We have the smallest budget compared to the other teams, and we don't have big name stars," Beasley says. "We've been underdogs in pretty much every game and everyone counted us out, but we've proven that anyone can play with anyone."

Little was expected of PSV this season after coach Guus Hiddink lost his entire front line, including two players who were sold to Chelsea. The last time PSV lost a game was Dec. 18. The team hasn't surrendered a goal in its previous eight league games.

PSV clinched the Dutch league title Saturday and also advanced to the Dutch Amstel Cup final May 28 by beating Feyenoord Rotterdam last Wednesday in a penalty shootout, forced by Beasley, who scored in the final minute to tie the game.

"This is a dream come true," Beasley says. "In my first year to win the Eredivisie (Dutch league), to be in the semifinals of the Champions League and in the final of the Amstel Cup has been unbelievable."

By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

Phenomanul
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Of course that's "just" my opinion.
It's a forum.

Want another opinion?

Thanks for the info Batty!

That's also because they have more familiarity playing with each other... whereas on a National Squad the practice times are infrequent and the player turnover is higher. But really.... I don't think... say if 100 million dollars was at stake, that AC Milan would beat Brazil, Argentina, or England (to name a few national squads).

MannyIsGod
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I agree with Alamo. Club teams can simply put together the best at each position and can usually put together more talented teams.

However, I prefer watching the WC because the pride involved makes for incredible matches. Talent is never everything, and you can see that on the soccer field quite often.

I wish I could go to Germany next year.

Phenomanul
04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I agree with Alamo. Club teams can simply put together the best at each position and can usually put together more talented teams.

However, I prefer watching the WC because the pride involved makes for incredible matches. Talent is never everything, and you can see that on the soccer field quite often.

I wish I could go to Germany next year.

While true... the three national teams mentioned above have few weaknessess.

I had to up the stakes (100 million dollars) because unless the World Cup title was at stake national teams rarely give a wholehearted effort on the field... the pay is low, and the potential for having an uncompensated career ending injury is high... on a club team, however, you are protected from that.

alamo50
04-27-2005, 12:45 PM
But really.... I don't think... say if 100 million dollars was at stake, that AC Milan would beat Brazil, Argentina, or England (to name a few national squads).

You do know that Dida, Cafu, Kaka' and Serginho are Brazilian national players under contract with AC Milan?
Just like Argentina's best striker Crespo is?

Phenomanul
04-27-2005, 03:29 PM
You do know that Dida, Cafu, Kaka' and Serginho are Brazilian national players under contract with AC Milan?

Let's assume that you could replicate the players.
'ala EA Sports FIFA Series games.....

MannyIsGod
04-27-2005, 03:32 PM
All things being equal, Club teams have better talent than national teams.

darrenbatty
04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't know if they have better talent.. they have just played longer with each other and know each other's tendencies.. if you match club and countries player by player usually the country teams have better personnel...

Liverpool- Chelsea : 0-0...
Return leg in Liverpool..

SLOVENIAN 8
04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
I just watch that game, too bad that Chelsea did not score on home court. A lot of great opertunity but no luck. damit

N.Y. Johnny
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Thats why Brasil is constantly hoisting that fucking Trophy in the World Cup, damn those Brasilians are amazing, too bad the Italian national side has gone to shit and bad coachin, we'll never win another damn Title, 94' was the last hurrah of the Azurri,

I love Milan and They should do good in that tournament, but always they have trouble with the English sides. :oops

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Errr...if anyone is interested in soccer forums I could post a link about a great site, but I don't know if that would be considered as spam.

@alamo50: ESPN Deportes or another "Latin"(Telemundo, TyC Sports -on satelite-) channel should broadcast the return game in the U.S.

And in 2006, Argentina World Champs! We took over basketball, now it's time to get the football crown back! :king

*Dr. Evil laugh* Muahahahahah

alamo50
04-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks.
Now there are 2 major sporting events for me to watch this coming Wednesday!

Spurbanana
04-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Telemundo's always fun. :)

Are Les Bleus playing?

alamo50
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Congratulations to The Reds for making it to the Final!
Now let's see if AC Milan will be able to defend their 2-0 advantage vs. p$v Eindhoven playing in The Netherlands tomorrow.

alamo50
05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
WHAT FUCKIN' CHANNEL IS THE AC MILAN GAME ON DAMNIT?!!?!??!!?
IT STARTED 10 FREAKIN' MINUTES AGO!
I HATE THIS!!!!!!!

:cuss

IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL TO BE SHOWING JUST ONE MATCH OF THE SEMI FINALS (ESPN2 broadcasted Liverpool vs. Chelsea last week and the return match yesterday)!

HERE'S TO YOU ESPN:

:flipoff

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 02:16 PM
PSV 1 - MILAN 0

its 31 min of first half

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
And it was almost 2-0 for PSV. I just watching the game

alamo50
05-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah, yeah go ahead and rub it in!!!!!!
Hey Slo, I will be watching the Spurs at the SBC tonight.
Where will you watch the game?

JUST KIDDING!
Thanks for the updates bro.
Appreciate it.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Where will you watch the game?

Am.,......., nowhere :lol :lol No TV broadcasting. But when Spurs will play NBA Finals i could watch every game. :spin :spin :smokin

Its end of first half PSV 1 - MIL 0

alamo50
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Set your alarmclock and get into the Spurs gamechat for the game bro!

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
PSV is dominating this game!!

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSV 2 - MIL 0 :smokin :smokin

alamo50
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
:wow

For real?!!?

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 03:15 PM
:wow

For real?!!?

YES!!!!!!

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Damit!!! :pctoss :pctoss

Milan score in 90+ min

PSV 2 - MIL 1

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh what a game now the PSV score for 3-1.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Game is OWER!!

PSV 3 - MILAN 1

Milan will play in finals vs. Liverpool, becouse in first game Milan won 2-0.

darrenbatty
05-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Thats sucks..
I was hoping for a PSV upset so Liverpool would have an easier time..
It should be a good final though..
Can't believe Milan gave up 3 goals today after giving up only 3 in the championship before this game..
Hoping for a Liverpool win.. Go Reds...

alamo50
05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
AND THIS IS WHAT I HAD TO MISS DAMNED?!!?!?!!!!?!

Thanks for the updates Slo.
Now let's see how the majority of US peeps struggle to understand why AC Milan is going to the Final although they just lost 1-3.

;)

Good luck breaking through Milan's D like p$v just did darren!

DrRich
05-04-2005, 04:36 PM
AND THIS IS WHAT I HAD TO MISS DAMNED?!!?!?!!!!?!

Thanks for the updates Slo.
Now let's see how the majority of US peeps struggle to understand why AC Milan is going to the Final although they just lost 1-3.

;)

Good luck breaking through Milan's D like p$v just did darren!

So why are they since both sides scored 3 goals?

darrenbatty
05-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Away goal rules...
Milan scored in the away game and they use that as the first tie breaker..

DrRich
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks

darrenbatty
05-04-2005, 04:41 PM
It's going to be a tough final Alamo..
As good as Milan's defence is Liverpool is really looking good in the European league..
Their defence is equally strong... The one worry for them is speed but in the air it's going to be tough getting it past Carragher and Hyppia..
With Alonso back for the second leg Liverpool has a better midfield than Milan with playmakers all over the field..
I can see this game going to penalties after a 0-0 draw..
Just good seeing them in the final after the disastrous premier league campaign..