PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Mavs - Jan. 8

timvp
01-10-2010, 07:02 AM
When the San Antonio Spurs take on the Dallas Mavericks, the result is almost always a memorable game. Friday night's affair was no different. In the hotly contested game that featured numerous runs, the Spurs took a ten-point lead into the fourth quarter -- only to watch their advantage disappear in devastating fashion. When the dust settled after the Mavs dominated the final stanza, Dallas had a 112-103 victory.

To begin the fourth, the Mavs quickly scored the first six points to trim the lead to four. With six minutes to go and the Spurs up by one point, Jason Kidd hit a three -- and the Mavs never trailed again. While the Spurs put up a fight, a trio of contested three-pointers (two by Dirk Nowitzki and one by Jason Terry) fueled the red hot Mavs.

Even with the offseason additions, I still don't like how the Spurs matchup against Dallas. There isn't an answer for Nowitzki and the Mavs are extremely comfortable playing in San Antonio. Nowitzki's sidekicks also tend to all play well against the Spurs. Come the playoffs, avoiding the Mavs would be ideal.

Overall, there's no denying this was a tough loss. The Spurs really needed a win against a quality opponent but they came up short once again. On top of the disappointment, the loss against the Mavs made it more difficult to win the division.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
39:19 minutes, 31 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers
12-for-19 from the field, 7-for-9 at the line

Tim Duncan left it all out on the court. He played inspired basketball and did well in just about every phase of the game. He punished the Mavs when they tried to play him straight up. When they sent help, Duncan passed the ball well. He gave good effort defensively and on the glass. As has been the case most of the games this season, Duncan was leading the way and playing well -- even when his supporting cast is struggling.

-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
33:57 minutes, 12 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 3 turnovers
5-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

In his first few minutes on the court, Manu Ginobili helped the offensive by making plays and authoring great passes. In the second quarter, Ginobili scored ten points while looking very lively. However, as the game progressed, the Argentine star played worse and worse. In the fourth, Ginobili fired a pair of airballs and looked totally gassed. He finished the game with a plus/minus of -21, which was more than double as bad as anyone else on the team.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
38:08 minutes, 21 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers
8-for-18 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

In the first half, Tony Parker was playing at a high level. He hit 7-of-11 field goal attempts and was playing with a lot of energy. Like Ginobili, Parker faded in the second half. He hit only 1-of-7 shots and was deferring to others much more than usual. He got to the line in the final few minutes to help give the Spurs a chance, though it was too little too late by that point.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
35:43 minutes, 15 points, 3 rebounds
6-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line

Offensively, Richard Jefferson did a quality job. He moved well without the ball, picked his spots wisely and attacked when given the opportunity. Personally, I thought the Spurs should have given him more touches when he was matched up against an opposing bigman. On the defensive end, Jefferson did very good work through three quarters. In the fourth, he tried to do way too much and ended up helping Nowitzki get going. Playing smarter defense in the fourth should be a goal for Jefferson going forward. He has tended to make mistakes in pressure situations on the defensive end.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
23:03 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds
2-for-2 at the line, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Keith Bogans played pretty good defense but he negated his work on the defensive end by fouling way too much. Most of his five fouls were due to playing with too much aggression and not enough smarts. Bogans hit both of his shots but the Mavs weren't paying too much attention to him. That said, his ballhandling continues to be quite impressive.

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg
7:31 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound
1-for-3 from the field

DeJuan Blair started but was back on the bench about a minute later due to foul trouble. Nowitzki drew a loose ball foul when Blair was going for a offensive rebound and then got a second whistle on Blair on the other end on the low block. Blair didn't get back into the game until late in the third quarter. Although he had a strong dunk to energize his teammates and the crowd, his overall play in his second stint was sub par.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
23:48 minutes, 8 points, 2 assists
3-for-5 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers

For most of his minutes on the court, Roger Mason, Jr. didn't do much. He had a burst of offense in the third quarter but this was definitely a below average game for Mason. His defense was shaky and his playmaking wasn't crisp. Mason also could have been more aggressive in the fourth when the Spurs were losing their edge.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
22:32 minutes, 9 points, 2 rebounds
3-for-3 from the field, 2-for-2 on three-pointers

George Hill played a very solid all around game. Defensively, he fought through screens well and didn't back down when switched off onto bigger players. On the offensive end, he shot confidently and ran the court extremely well. He could have made more plays and been more aggressive in the halfcourt, but all in all Hill was impressive.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
12:24 minutes, 2 rebounds
0-for-2 from the field

Coming into the game, it was obvious that Antonio McDyess would play an important role. He was needed to defend Nowitzki and he was the team's only hope of being able to play a big lineup. With a combination of foul trouble and poor play, McDyess was a major disappointment. He didn't defend well, didn't rebound and didn't offer assistance on the offensive end. For the Spurs to be a championship caliber team, they need McDyess to play much better. If he's not eventually a reliable bigman the Spurs can count on for production each night, the Spurs will be in trouble -- and they will also likely regret signing him.

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

Pop got thrown out of the game after picking up two technicals in the second quarter while arguing calls during a timeout. He selected a bad time to get the ol' heave-ho. His decision making was needed to push the right button against the Mavs. Without him, Coach Bud ended up running the team into the ground. The Big 3 played too many minutes and the team as a whole looked tired by the fourth quarter. Having said that, it's difficult to blame Coach Bud too much considering that the Hall of Fame head coach of the Spurs usually struggles to figure out what to do against the Mavs.

Offense

The Spurs did enough on the offensive end to win the game. They shot 52.6% from the field, hit 7-of-15 three-pointers and got to the line 21 times. They also handed out 22 assists and turned the ball over just 12 times. For the Spurs, scoring 103 points should be enough to bring home the W.

Defense

The defensive end is where the Spurs lost the game. The Mavs shot 49.4% from the floor, 7-of-15 on three-pointers and 17-for-21 at the line. Dallas also had 24 assists while turning the ball over just seven times. The Mavs had a 39-32 rebounding advantage -- including 12-5 on the offensive glass. By dominating the boards and limiting their turnovers, the Mavs were able to attempt 13 more shots from the field. Basically, the Spurs couldn't have done a much worse job on defense. Sure, the Mavs hit a ton of difficult shots but the Spurs fueled the fire by allowing extra possessions.

Drive to Five

Next up is the Nets on Sunday. A loss would be unacceptable, especially with a game against the Lakers next on the scheudle. The Spurs need to bounce back, focus and avoid any disasters against New Jersey.

Believe.

Duncan21kid
01-10-2010, 07:45 AM
great read timvp

Spurs Brazil
01-10-2010, 07:50 AM
thanks timvp

Halle Berry
01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
timvp is the man tbh. If I were him I would probably stay silent rather than write such a great article with so much detail at a time when my team had just lost a rivalry game pretty meekly at home.

G-Nob
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
No championship defense. I keep praying for the system to take stride and we go from hoping to beat a good team to knowing we can.

Its frustrating to know our best years are behind us. At the same time, overall, I'm grateful they still are trying to get it back.

boutons_deux
01-10-2010, 09:45 AM
It seems like the better Tim plays, the worse the outcome. How many great games by Tim have been losses?

SenorSpur
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for recap. Great read.

I do disagree with the notion that "come the playoffs, avoiding the Mavs would be ideal". Screw that. On the contrary, I hope they do face the Mavs in the playoffs. If the Spurs are good enough to beat them, they will. If not, it will be yet another indictment as to how all the offseason changes, while formidable on paper, were not quite enough to propel the Spurs back into championship contention.

Perhaps another playoff series loss to the Mavs will "spur" the FO to go a bit further in making additional roster changes.

Maybe another playoff series loss at the hands of the Mavs will finally convince the FO to move away from their "age-old" philosophy and belief that "old age" gives them the best chance to win a championship.

The Fakers ARE NOT the oldest team in the NBA. They simply have a ton of talent, great coaching, and one great equalizer. The Magic ARE NOT the oldest team in the NBA. They simply have assembled a talented roster, and one superstar center, that meshes well together.

The NBA talent pool is deep and wide. While the Spurs are trying to hold onto their championship hopes with aged, battle-scarred, veteran warriors, the other teams are continuing to get younger, deeper, and more talented.

Muser
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for recap. Great read.

I do disagree with the notion that "come the playoffs, avoiding the Mavs would be ideal". Screw that. On the contrary, I hope they do face the Mavs in the playoffs. If the Spurs are good enough to beat them, they will. If not, it will be yet another indictment as to how all the offseason changes, while formidable on paper, were not quite enough to propel the Spurs back into championship contention.

Perhaps another playoff series loss to the Mavs will "spur" the FO to go a bit further in making additional roster changes.

Maybe another playoff series loss at the hands of the Mavs will finally convince the FO to move away from their "age-old" philosophy and belief that "old age" gives them the best chance to win a championship.

The Fakers ARE NOT the oldest team in the NBA. They simply have a ton of talent, great coaching, and one great equalizer. The Magic ARE NOT the oldest team in the NBA. They simply have assembled a talented roster, and one superstar center, that meshes well together.

The NBA talent pool is deep and wide. While the Spurs are trying to hold onto their championship hopes with aged, battle-scarred, veteran warriors, the other teams are continuing to get younger, deeper, and more talented.

:tu

BillMc
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Good read as always. Thanks for posting!!

benefactor
01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
It's still a tough match up, but I think that they match up much better against them than they have in previous years. If the Spurs can play consistently like they did in those first three quarters I like their chances against them in a series.

Kamnik
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Awsome read as always!

wildbill2u
01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
We keep reading in your post and in the papers about how player x (take your pick of our stars) winds up gassed in the fouth period. I noticed that our stars played what used to be the norm in the NBA (30 plus minutes) for a starter.

I think they are simply out of 'game shape" due to Pop's rotations to save them the wear and tear of too many minutes and not ready to play as hard as is required against elite teams in the final quarter.

You can't substitute rest on the bench for being in 'game shape' when crunch time comes. it affect movement on defense, lift on jumpers and foul shots when a player isn't in game shape and gets tired.

I think Pop needs to quit messing around with the minutes in order to 'save them for the playoffs" or they are going to be out of shape for playing the minutes that will be required to compete.

DPG21920
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
While its true the Spurs don't have an answer for Dirk, they do have answers for everyone else. It did not play out that way on Friday, but I think the Spurs match up fairly well.

Whisky Dog
01-10-2010, 12:01 PM
The bench + Jeff have to be better.

dbestpro
01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
The power forward spot remains the biggest problem. Blair at his size and as a rookie can not be expected to do well play in and play out. He is best suited to be an energy guy who can afford to deliver hard fouls like Anderson does form Denver. Dice has moments but unfortunately too many of those moments are bad. As a result Pop had to play RJ on Dirk, which took away from RJ covering the SF slot. Accordingly we try to cover long SFs with SGs and in the end our lack of size is too much to overcome.

So, we need Dice to deliver more than we need Parker to play D or any other complaint that the Spurs have right now. If not, then either a trade must happen, we must give one of the big bench guys a chance or wait until next year. This team is not going to succeed without better consistent production from the big that is along side Duncan.

Bender
01-10-2010, 12:59 PM
We keep reading in your post and in the papers about how player x (take your pick of our stars) winds up gassed in the fouth period. I noticed that our stars played what used to be the norm in the NBA (30 plus minutes) for a starter.I've also wondered why our players have to be babied with their minutes. Other top players in the NBA play 40min. or even more, quite often, and they are not "gassed". It's not like manu and parker are 35 years old.

Baseline
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
We've always matched up horribly with the Mavs. And let's face it, they always play over their heads against us.

They're probably the 6th or 7th best team in the NBA, but against us, they play like they're one of the top two.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I've also wondered why our players have to be babied with their minutes. Other top players in the NBA play 40min. or even more, quite often, and they are not "gassed". It's not like manu and parker are 35 years old.

It's because of the yo-yo substitutions.

The other obvious candidate is not having shootarounds anymore.

Mavs<Spurs
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I didn't like the lineup to start the fourth. I blame this loss first and foremost on the coaching staff which put the lineup on the floor.

Thanks timvp.

:flag: