PDA

View Full Version : Lakers’ deal for Raptors star has a shot_by NYP

Danny.Zhu
01-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Imagine if this happens...

As promised, today’s column is pure basketball, triggered by trade winds.

A Lakers source told me the team had its sights set high, as usual, and planned to target the possible acquisition of Chris Bosh when it got closer to the 3 p.m. Feb. 18 trade deadline, and the Raptors might be more likely to move their Olympian/All-Star while still entitled to compensation.

It commonly is believed Bosh almost certain is to flee Toronto after this season, when he has the right to opt out of the final year ($17.1 million) of his contract.

My source believes the Lakers will offer Andrew Bynum for Bosh (if they haven’t done so already) well before the deadline expires. In itself, the one-for-one swap is impossible to make. Bynum’s “base year” essentially allows L.A. to take back but half of his salary this year ($12.5M). Of course, that restriction is lifted when next year’s salary ($13.7M) activates come July 1, at which time a sign-and-trade transaction would be feasible.
Chris Bosh
AP
Chris Bosh

The possibility of such a deal makes sense to me. First of all, Bynum is a legit starting center for the defending champions. He also has three years left on his contract after this one.

As for the Raptors, despite the severe offseason roster renovation, they’re not giving any indication of being more than just a one-and-done playoff group this season and in the foreseeable future.

What’s Bosh’s motivation to stay? Clearly, management’s sense of urgency to protect its principal asset cannot be accentuated enough. If that’s impractical, the organization cannot afford to lose Bosh without receiving equitable compensation.

Asked by e-mail about all of the above and whether the Raptors and Lakers have discussed a Bosh-Bynum proposal, team president Bryan Colangelo, who surely is being contacted on a daily basis regarding the availability of his franchise player — especially when the team was 11-17 — he replied in kind:

“For the record, I am not actively seeking a deal or discussing Bosh with any team, much less the Lakers.

“I haven’t traded him yet and our position has been the same. We will not make a deal just to make a deal. Our intention is to keep him here long term.

“Additionally, I have not yet offered an extension as Dwyane Wade and LeBron James both received [from their respective teams]. So technically he has not said no.

“I honestly don’t think C.B. knows what the future holds, or what he wants to do, so I would say we’re still in the game as far as his pending free agency.”

In the meantime, the languishing Lakers may only have the marginal goods to obtain the likes of, say, Hornets’ forward Hilton Armstrong. Friday night they lost again (third straight road loss) to the Blazers (nine consecutive in Portland) and continue to showcase (I’m being kind) Sasha Vujacic (one year left at $5.475M) and free agents-in-waiting Jordan Farmar and Adam Morrison.

What are we to think when the Blazers are able to win minus six rotation players? Either it’s a great compliment to them or a blanket indictment on the Lakers minus Pau Gasol (hamstring).

As you recall, the Lakers were evicted from the playoffs in the first round the two previous tournaments before Gasol arrived Feb. 1, 2008. They’ve been Finalists since and last season experienced ultimate success.

Yes, I realize Kobe’s finger on his shooting hand is hurting for certain. I also realize he feels he must overachieve in Gasol’s absence. But hoisting 37 shots (aborting 23) in order to score 32 points is excessively egocentric even for Bryant, particularly when visiting the welfare line a mere four times.

Conversely, Brandon Roy needed just 11 shots, making nine, and a passel of free throws (13-of-14) to register his 32-point total.

I’m almost tempted to hear Tim Donaghy’s take on the Lakers launching 95 shots and only going to the line 10 times. Meanwhile, the Blazers’ numbers were 69 and 39. Don’t cringe now, but Roy and Jerryd Bayless got more free throws (14 and 12 ) than the entire Lakers team.

“I hate Portland,” Bryant might have said. “It’s like Colorado without the checkbook.”

While questioning the competence of referees (that’s all I was doing . . . really, no really), I know 3-32 — and on the road — doesn’t buy a lot of late-game calls, but Friday night in New Orleans, the Not-yet-Nyets had a better chance of seeing FEMA than Yi Jianlian get the benefit of that very offensive foul.

It’s a sad state when Screw Jersey — even with that scintillating comeback — isn’t capable of losing on its own. At this rate, come the lottery, the not-yet-Nyets are going to own all the ping pong balls . . . as well as the Chinese ping pong team.

The franchise formerly known as the Pistons hosted what used to be the Sixers last night, looking to sneak their longest skid (11 games) in 15 seasons. And here I thought Detroit’s biggest problem was some screwball in exploding underwear.

Charles Barkley hosted “Saturday Night Live” last night. And you thought NBC couldn’t screw up late night any more.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/lakers_deal_for_raptors_star_has_FbaSSsePPGi1gsgGs fES9M#ixzz0cDmbgEWX

Muser
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Bynum for Bosh? That would be the most one-sided trade i've ever seen.

flamingdts
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Bynum for Bosh? That would be the most one-sided trade i've ever seen.

Gasol for Kwame Brown and scrubs (and intended scrubs) is the most one sided trade I've ever seen.

Muser
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Gasol for Kwame Brown and scrubs (and intended scrubs) is the most one sided trade I've ever seen.

All expirings for the Griz, so they got cap space at least.

Halle Berry
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Bosh and Pau have too many similarities in their styles to mesh up well IMHO. Both has the weapons for wide ranges and all-round skills like passing and rebounding, but elementally neither of them has the strength and dominance that Bynum has. Individually Bynum may not be as good as Bosh at present, but I believe Bynum fits our team better and he was quite a prominent role for our championship run last season.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 10:56 AM

A scrub like Marc Gasol? Nah. That was a good deal...in hindsight.

And Bynum for Bosh is crazy. The Rockets have the best offer. I've heard:

Chicago: Tyrus Thomas + Hinrich + draft pick for Bosh.
Houston: Scola + Battier or Ariza + Cook + draft pick for Bosh.

mogrovejo
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe then Bosh could make a few top-10 lists in this forum.

(but I don't consider Bosh a top-10 player).

pauls931
01-10-2010, 11:37 AM
No way the Lakers would give that much up for another forward.

Double-Up
01-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Isn't Bynum younger anyways? If I were the Lakers I'd just keep him, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

baseline bum
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Vescey (and the rest of the NY Post) is unreadable crap.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Bynum has a BYC anyway. The Lakers would have to give up some players...and not shit ones either.

TheMACHINE
01-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I see it like this. Bynum is this good already playing with the Lakers. Bosh is that good playing with Toronto. Add him to the Lakers and Bosh will be playing at his best level ever! Do it!

Muser
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
If Bosh had a coach who actually ran a decent system then he'd be a beast.

Mr.ChugDynasty
01-10-2010, 01:29 PM
If Bosh had a coach who actually ran a decent system then he'd be a beast.

Bosh is already a beast.
The rest of the league better hope this deal doesn't happen. Replacing Bynum with a guy who doesn't have glass knees and a guy who actually gives a shit will erase all the Laker doubters for years to come.

lefty
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Isn't Bynum younger anyways? If I were the Lakers I'd just keep him, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Dude it's Bynum

Double-Up
01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Dude it's Bynum

Yea I know he's injury prone but point being championship teams rarely make that kind of deal mid season.

BlackSwordsMan
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
jefferson,finley,bonner for bosh is a better deal

Muser
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Did anyone see Bosh posterize that celtic player just? That was nasty.

namlook
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
jefferson,finley,bonner for bosh is a better deal

Finley and Bonner are trash. Bynum is easily more valuable than Jefferson.

mavsfan1000
01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Damn the lakers always get all the good deals. Wake up Cuban!

ffadicted
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Damn the lakers always get all the good deals. Wake up Cuban!

Dirk and Bosh would be sad for us :depressed
Duncan and Bosh would be even more sad for everybody else :king

Either way, neither of us are getting Bosh, soooo...

milkshakeballa
01-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I have also heard some rumblings about this from some Laker people though nothing is EVEN close to serious.

Why this DOES make sense for the Lakers though:

1) Laker brass is growing EVER tired of Bynum's effort level and maturity. Everybody knows about it. They have already paid him and are very disappointed he isn't living up to his level of the bargain. Is this enough reason to trade him? I doubt it.

2) Pau Gasol has played INCREDIBLY better at center than at PF for the Lakers and Bosh plays INCREDIBLY better at PF than at C for Toronto. I personally see their games mesh like music. It is a much better fit for the offense and for the transition defense.

3) Bosh is only 26. Fits in perfectly with the Lakers championship window.

4) Probably the best reason...Bosh is an absolute BEAST and 10x the player Bynum is at this moment.

Why it DOESN't MAKE sense:

1) $$$$ - Bosh will be able to get max this summer...would he settle for $14-15 ish from the Lakers??? I'm not privy to that information and haven't heard anything. Lakers would be WAY OVER the tax.

Chillen
01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
If such a deal goes down, and it's just Bynum for Bosh, go ahead and pencil the Lakers in for a 2peat in 2010. No one is beating a lineup with Gasol, Bosh, Artest, Bryant, Fisher if that trade goes down. Boston could give LA a scare, make it go 6 games but they would be impossible to beat in a 7 game series if you swaped Bynum for Bosh.

itzsoweezee
01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
why the hell would the raptors do that deal?

mogrovejo
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
It's Peter Vecsey. He hasn't got one scoop right since the Strickland/Cheeks trade.

01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
i think gms are extra wary about helping out the lakers. the grizzlies have already become the pariah of the nba, the raptors probably don't want to follow suit. if bynum was still on his rookie contract and the lakers had enough expiring contracts + first round picks, then it would be a decent trade. otherwise, a one for one trade is just plain retarded. bynum may never live up to his contract and he's locked up for quite a lot of years.

ffadicted
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
why the hell would the raptors do that deal?

Cuz they have a 90% chance of losing bosh for nothing this summer anyway, and Toronto isn't exactly the best place to attract free agents. They could do better then Bynum though, that's for sure

Chillen
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
i think gms are extra wary about helping out the lakers. the grizzlies have already become the pariah of the nba, the raptors probably don't want to follow suit. if bynum was still on his rookie contract and the lakers had enough expiring contracts + first round picks, then it would be a decent trade. otherwise, a one for one trade is just plain retarded. bynum may never live up to his contract and he's locked up for quite a lot of years.

Good points, the Lakers are trying to trade it seems for championships. They are smart, plus Bynum has experienced injurys and is not always the most reliable. This trade doesn't make the Raptors any better and GMs should look at the Gasol trade closely, get what value for your player that you can, don't just give your player up for scrubs just to end it.

Lebron4MVP
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I hope this deal happens. Lakers would be SUPER SOFT in the paint. They would have ZERO muscle inside. Please God let this happen. It would hurt the Lakers more than it would help it. Their only true center would be Mbenga. :lmao

milkshakeballa
01-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I hope this deal happens. Lakers would be SUPER SOFT in the paint. They would have ZERO muscle inside. Please God let this happen. It would hurt the Lakers more than it would help it. Their only true center would be Mbenga. :lmao

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Kobe™
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Lakaluva just shit his pants lol.

But if this is remotely true, Lakers F.O. probably just began to think that the Bynum/Gasol tandem aren't working and they'd rather be paying the 12+ mil to someone else, hence Bosh.

I wouldn't pull it, but I wouldn't be detested by the idea, if it is true... Vecsey has a shady history of posting kaput articles.

Double-Up
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Too bad he's right, Bosh and Gasol are too similar anyways and Bosh also isn't the greatest when it comes to man to man defense.

milkshakeballa
01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Too bad he's right, Bosh and Gasol are too similar anyways and Bosh also isn't the greatest when it comes to man to man defense.

:rollin:rollin

Any of you fans who are deluding themselves into believing this are full of shit.

you know DAMN well if this trade goes down the next 4 titles = LA

r u fukin kiddin? bynum plays great d? bynum is an achor?

we are talking about chris fukin bosh here

guy is in his prime

LMAO at all you fukers who say this would make the lakers worse hahah

pau as a C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pau as a PF

j-money24
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
omg that would be awsome, MITCH DO IT While BYNUM is still not considered a bust yet, good way to get rid of this overrated softy before his value goes down.

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Raptors aren't going to do this..I doubt they trade Bosh IMO..a lot of people in their organization still feel like they can keep Bosh since they can offer him the most $..

j-money24
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Bynum is softer than you think.

slick'81
01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
if that happens just hand the lakers the trophy for like ever

Banzai
01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
if that happens just hand the lakers the trophy for like ever

I definitely did not see the Pau Gasol trade coming..I doubt this trade for Bosh goes through.