PDA

View Full Version : Game Primer: Spurs vs. Nets - Jan. 10

timvp
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
The San Antonio Spurs would love a win against a quality opponent to validate their improvements over the last month. However, against the New Jersey Nets on Sunday, that validation won't arrive. Instead, the Spurs have to avoid a major letdown against the 3-33 Nets who are just 1-18 on the road and 0-14 against Western Conference teams.

Keys to a Spurs Victory

1. Show up. The loss against the Dallas Mavericks was painful. That said, the Spurs need to put that behind them. The team can't afford an emotional letdown at this point, especially when half the AT&T Center crowd will likely be hungover from the Cowboys victory.

2. Avoid foul trouble. The Nets are obviously a horrible team but they have some parts that can get the Spurs in foul trouble. Brook Lopez won't back down from Tim Duncan and we all know the trouble Devin Harris gives Tony Parker. Harris is particularly good at drawing offensive fouls on Parker.

3. Don't look ahead. The Lakers visit San Antonio on Tuesday. The Spurs have to take care of this one first, though.

Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg vs. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3822.jpg

Not many players in the league can stay in front of Parker. Harris is one of the handful. On the other end, Harris can use his quickness to blow by Parker and attack the basket. The good news for the Spurs is that Harris is having a horrible season. His stats are down across the board and he's shooting just 38.1% from the field and 20.5% on three-pointers. He doesn't look healthy and New Jersey's poor play has Harris not playing with his usual aggressiveness on either end. In his last three games, he's just 5-for-21 from the field.

Inside the Numbers

Even though the Nets have been a disaster, Lopez has emerged as one of the better bigmen in the NBA. In fact, only two players in the league are averaging at least 18 points, nine rebounds, two assists and 1.5 blocks: Tim Duncan and Brook Lopez. The 21-year-old seven-footer out of Stanford is a player the Nets can build around.

Did You Know?

We all remember Tim Duncan scoring 21 points, pulling down 20 rebounds, dishing out ten assists and blocking eight shots in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals against the Nets to bring the second championship to San Antonio. Since that game, no player in the league has come close to matching those numbers in a single game. In fact, no players has had at least 21 point, 20 rebounds and ten assists, and no player has had at least 21 points, 20 rebounds and eight blocks. It was truly a game for the ages.

Bender
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
We all remember Tim Duncan scoring 21 points, pulling down 20 rebounds, dishing out ten assists and blocking eight shots in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals against the Nets to bring the second championship to San Antonio.
I remember that game. I did not become a spurs fan until the 2003 playoffs. I was flipping channels one night, and I came across a spurs playoff game, first round, the suns, IIRC... I stayed on the game, and have been a fan ever since.

I just wasn't an NBA fan in the years before that. I watched NFL some, but not NBA.

duncan228
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Since that game, no player in the league has come close to matching those numbers in a single game. In fact, no players has had at least 21 point, 20 rebounds and ten assists, and no player has had at least 21 points, 20 rebounds and eight blocks. It was truly a game for the ages.

It was the most incredible performance I've ever seen. It was a game for the ages and Duncan is a player for the ages. There's no one quite like him.

Great read. Thanks.

Spurs Brazil
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm a little worried about the matchup against Yi. I saw some Nets game and he looks very aggressive, always looking to attack the basket. I don't see Blair and TD guarding him so I think we'll see more small ball today

Did You Know?

We all remember Tim Duncan scoring 21 points, pulling down 20 rebounds, dishing out ten assists and blocking eight shots in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals against the Nets to bring the second championship to San Antonio. Since that game, no player in the league has come close to matching those numbers in a single game. In fact, no players has had at least 21 point, 20 rebounds and ten assists, and no player has had at least 21 points, 20 rebounds and eight blocks. It was truly a game for the ages.

That's great.