PDA

View Full Version : Has Duncan made an effort to whine less?

Dex
01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
So like most people here, I'm a huge Tim Duncan fan. I'd be hard pressed to find another player, especially a big man, after whom a young player should model his career. But there are two things that have slightly tarnished what would otherwise be a virtually perfect player profile: bad foul shooting, and a propensity to let himself get caught up with the officiating.

I mean, seriously...how many of us didn't get used to seeing this face five times a game?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2434212258_e0cdd9f48c_o.jpg

It seems like lately, though, Tim Duncan has spent less time whining to the officials and more time just playing the game. Sure, he will still outcry an occasional "That's a foul!" on what he perceives as a non-call, but it's a far cry from Tim staring people down and barking at the ref up the court or through the break. I believe the league recently started a new policy which can fine players for complaining to / arguing with the officials, so maybe Tim took that as a cue to clean things up. Whatever the reason, the effort seems to be there.

Coincidentally enough, Tim is also having one of his most efficiently productive seasons, not only from the floor but from the free throw line as well. Although he is getting less trips to the line (shooting ~5.3 FTA a game this season, as compared to ~6.4 a game last season), he is still shooting them at his best percentage since his monster 01-02 season (currently at 76.5%). Not only that, but Tim's general field gold percentage has risen to 55.4%, a full five percent higher than last seasons 50.4%, and could be on pace to be Tim's best shooting season ever.

It's hard to say the two necessarily go hand-in-hand, but with Tim being as cerebral of a player as he tends to be, I think he's keeping better focus on the court instead of constantly trying to get the officials on his side. Furthermore (and this is what has always bothered me about Tim's complaining), I never saw how chronically complaining to the refs can be beneficial in the long run. It just feeds the 'boy cried wolf' theory. And I also know when I'm at work and some customer/client comes in trying to tell me how to do my job, I'm immediately less inclined to want to cut them any favors.

So am I alone on this? Or has anyone else noticed Tim noticeably curtailing his reactions to the referees?

DesignatedT
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
yeah.

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 04:37 PM
He's too tired from carrying this team every night, he doesn't have the energy to whine at this age..

Dex
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
He's too tired from carrying this team every night, he doesn't have the energy to whine at this age..

Are you kidding?

Old people bitch all the time. :lol

ffadicted
01-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I miss that face :(:lol

But yes lol

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you kidding?

It was a joke, but technically, old people wouldn't have the energy to whine if they had to carry an NBA team every night..

Dex
01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
It was a joke, but technically, old people wouldn't have the energy to whine if they had to carry an NBA team every night..

This is true. My grandpa just had to carry around the weight of his corduroy slacks.

duncan228
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Duncan whining to the point of not getting back down the court has always bugged me. Whine all you want, don't let it in your game. He has a point quite a bit of the time but the call isn't going to change at that moment. State your case and move on.

I do see some difference this season. I'm glad he's toned it down.

We'll always have the memories. :lol

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/palmsup2.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/palmsup5.jpg

Summers
01-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Are you kidding?

:lol But, yeah, I agree. Seems to me the Crawford thing was a turning point.

alchemist
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
He's still top 10 in whining, I think Parker has passed him in that department :lol

But yes I've noticed the toned down complaining. :toast

ffadicted
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/palmsup5.jpg

Ooooh, this one's good :lmao

Chieflion
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
At least he ain't Rasheed Wallace in that department, them being friends must have affected Duncan somehow. Now imagine Sheed signed with the Spurs and both of them showing the scowl when a call is made.

Fermixalot
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I think Parker's got him beat now. That little spin-jump hissy fit he does after a no-call on a fast break takes the cake. Anyone have a picture of that?

jimo2305
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
hmm yea i never noticed that till u poitned it out lol..

howbouthemspurs
01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Tim Duncan doesn't whine!

draft87
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
So like most people here, I'm a huge Tim Duncan fan. I'd be hard pressed to find another player, especially a big man, after whom a young player should model his career. But there are two things that have slightly tarnished what would otherwise be a virtually perfect player profile: bad foul shooting, and a propensity to let himself get caught up with the officiating.

I mean, seriously...how many of us didn't get used to seeing this face five times a game?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2434212258_e0cdd9f48c_o.jpg

It seems like lately, though, Tim Duncan has spent less time whining to the officials and more time just playing the game. Sure, he will still outcry an occasional "That's a foul!" on what he perceives as a non-call, but it's a far cry from Tim staring people down and barking at the ref up the court or through the break. I believe the league recently started a new policy which can fine players for complaining to / arguing with the officials, so maybe Tim took that as a cue to clean things up. Whatever the reason, the effort seems to be there.

Coincidentally enough, Tim is also having one of his most efficiently productive seasons, not only from the floor but from the free throw line as well. Although he is getting less trips to the line (shooting ~5.3 FTA a game this season, as compared to ~6.4 a game last season), he is still shooting them at his best percentage since his monster 01-02 season (currently at 76.5%). Not only that, but Tim's general field gold percentage has risen to 55.4%, a full five percent higher than last seasons 50.4%, and could be on pace to be Tim's best shooting season ever.

It's hard to say the two necessarily go hand-in-hand, but with Tim being as cerebral of a player as he tends to be, I think he's keeping better focus on the court instead of constantly trying to get the officials on his side. Furthermore (and this is what has always bothered me about Tim's complaining), I never saw how chronically complaining to the refs can be beneficial in the long run. It just feeds the 'boy cried wolf' theory. And I also know when I'm at work and some customer/client comes in trying to tell me how to do my job, I'm immediately less inclined to want to cut them any favors.

So am I alone on this? Or has anyone else noticed Tim noticeably curtailing his reactions to the referees?

Yes, I believe TD has made as much an effort to whine less as he executes more. You are dead on with the observation most analysts have noted that he is having an incredibly efficient season. He's #2 in the league just behind Lebron in PER.

However, I don't think the psychology starts with: "the league my start fining me for arguing or I might make enemies for contesting a call"
Even when Timmy made the famous "NOT MEEEEEEEE" face he was never a cussing name-caller.

I think he started the season with 2 things in mind: his body and the morale of a mostly brand new team.

1) "I broke down last year. Manu's body also gave up on him. We had Tony playing so hard that he too ran out of steam by game 4. I'm playing less minutes but I don't want to render myself ineffective so I'm gonna conserve my energy in order to be incredibly efficient. I will score and rebound at a high level in under 30mpg. I will do what I can to be a focused defender and impact the game however I can in the reduced time that I play. I will not let myself get distracted by negative things like poor officiating, a-hole opponents, or early season growing pains from the largely brand new roster."

2) "I have always been the franchise player, the captain, the longest tenured veteran on the team but this year is different because the majority of the team is brand new. Matt Bonner will be a "team vet" but in his 3 years he's only been a major factor for 1. There's even a chance I'll be spending a decent amount of time sharing the court with first and second year players. Coach Pop is downsizing the playbook to give the team a chance to get tight. I will do my best to be a great team leader by playing hard and maintaining a positive attitude. I am going to follow the game plans and I'm going to keep my cool on the court, even when I get shitty calls. The team is looking up to me to lead them to the top of the Western Conference."

Tim Duncan's attitude of not-sweating the small stuff, being patient, and helping the team grow into elite status would benefit SpursTalk. There's too much freaking out over a few plays, few games of poor shooting, few games of poor D, few games of odd rotations, few anything of stuff not worth shit-talking.

Dex
01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
2) "I have always been the franchise player, the captain, the longest tenured veteran on the team but this year is different because the majority of the team is brand new. Matt Bonner will be a "team vet" but in his 3 years he's only been a major factor for 1. There's even a chance I'll be spending a decent amount of time sharing the court with first and second year players. Coach Pop is downsizing the playbook to give the team a chance to get tight. I will do my best to be a great team leader by playing hard and maintaining a positive attitude. I am going to follow the game plans and I'm going to keep my cool on the court, even when I get shitty calls. The team is looking up to me to lead them to the top of the Western Conference."

Excellent observation. I think Tim sets the tone for the team, emotionally, more than he realizes. When Tim is down, the team gets down. When Tim gets that fire in his eyes, the teams morale goes up. And when Tim is constantly bitching to the officials, the rest of the team follows suit.

Leading by example has always been one of Tim's strong traits. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction. We still have to see if it holds up through the thick of the season and during the playoffs, when each game and each call starts to matter more and more.

timvp
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Instead of whining, Duncan has been using "That's a F$%#ing foul, man". He says that about twice a game now.

Upgrade :tu

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Instead of whining, Duncan has been using "That's a F$%#ing foul, man". He says that about twice a game now.

Upgrade :tu

:lol

dbreiden83080
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
great players are notorious for riding the refs, as are great coaches. IT goes hand in hand..

hater
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
newsflash: the playoffs haven't started yet

But I have noticed less whining by Duncan + Manu + Parker in regular season. Pop probably talked to them in the offseason.

Chomag
01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
newsflash: the playoffs haven't started yet

But I have noticed less whining by Duncan + Manu + Parker in regular season. Pop probably talked to them in the offseason.

Maun and Tim yes, Parker not so much.

I lost count how many times TP just stayed in the back court to gripe at the ref instead of going down court to defend leading the other team to easy points.

Also,especially this season I have noticed at times while he is bringing the ball up the court he is to busy yelling at an official instead of focusing on setting up the offence.

FromWayDowntown
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I agree with this -- and with timvp's observation.

Tim's relationship with the officials has changed enough that he and Joey Crawford had what appeared to be quite a civil conversation in the Dallas game on Friday, after Pop was run. During a timeout, Joey approached the Spurs bench and seemed to call Timmy over, and the two talked about something with the end result seeming to be an amicable exchange of "Ok."

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with this -- and with timvp's observation.

Tim's relationship with the officials has changed enough that he and Joey Crawford had what appeared to be quite a civil conversation in the Dallas game on Friday, after Pop was run. During a timeout, Joey approached the Spurs bench and seemed to call Timmy over, and the two talked about something with the end result seeming to be an amicable exchange of "Ok."

the talk was i let the spurs run out the game for a lead then allow the mavs to score 40pts to get the win...:lmao