PDA

View Full Version : Question about HDMI Components

davi78239
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I have an LCD tv that has only 2 HDMI inputs. Do they sell something in which would be able to have a 3rd HDMI unit hooked up too? Like some type of a switch unit? I know I use to have something like this for my old tv and worked out great when I wanted to switch from say playing my game cube, vcr, dvd.....

ChumpDumper
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes, these are available, and many new home theater receivers have them built in. You can also get an HD picture from your component inputs that your tv probably has, though you won't get multichannel sound.

resistanze
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5081&seq=1&format=2

resistanze
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
As Chump said, most AVRs have them now, and is what I use for my PVR/PS3/DVD/laptop setup.

robino2001
01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
As always - monoprice is the way to go... something similar to the one resistanze posted at best buy would be $100+

davi78239
01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
All I need is one more. Would the DVI unit at the back of the tv work just as good if I were to connect that to an HDMI capable unit?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
All I need is one more. Would the DVI unit at the back of the tv work just as good if I were to connect that to an HDMI capable unit?

Yes, but be aware that dvi only carries video.

robino2001
01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
What are the components you want to connect? Do you have a receiver that you use for any of them (optical audio, etc)? If so, going VGA/DVI isn't an issue for one of them since you won't be worried about the sound. I had my 360 hooked up VGA (I think, might have been DVI) but the sound was optical to my receiver. Video/picture-wise, the VGA was just as good as the HDMI for me, I thought.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
.........Video/picture-wise, the VGA was just as good as the HDMI for me, I thought.
I may be talking out of place but I don't think that is possible. I think Hdmi is the better "hose".

sabar
01-11-2010, 02:28 AM
There is pretty much no visual difference between hdmi/vga/dvi at any significant resolution. You have to go past 1920x1200 to see blurring on vga. HDMI and dvi are both uncompressed and look perfect, but one doesnt carry any audio.

PM5K
01-11-2010, 03:12 AM
I'd just go with component for your cable box.

Slomo
01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
There is pretty much no visual difference between hdmi/vga/dvi at any significant resolution. You have to go past 1920x1200 to see blurring on vga. HDMI and dvi are both uncompressed and look perfect, but one doesnt carry any audio.

Assuming a good quality product this is almost true. Using VGA to connect two digital devices introduces two unnecessary analog to digital conversions (D to A and back A to D). So if the manufacturer is using cheap processors you will definitely see a drop in quality using VGA versus HDMI.
Another important factor is that digital artifacts become more prominent with the picture size (just the nature of things) so a setup that looks absolutely perfect on a 37" screen (and for all practical purposes is perfect) might look bad on a 50" screen.

Rule of thumb, use the best possible signal available and don't get suckered into buying expensive digital cables unless you need crazy long cable runs.

somebody already made the list, but it's worth repeating.
For video (moving pictures):
HDMI=DVI (but without sound)>Component>RGB>S-Video>Composite

VGA is similar to Component although it actually may be worse than component for video devices and better for computer type devices.