PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson for Danny Granger rejected

djohn2oo8
01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Sons, when you go to bed, just be thankful David Kahn isn't your teams' GM...

"Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn recently offered forward Al Jefferson(notes) to the Indiana Pacers for forward Danny Granger(notes), but was immediately rebuffed, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

While Pacers president Larry Bird remains determined to build around Granger, sources say Kahn has become increasingly dubious on making Jefferson a cornerstone for the Timberwolves.

So far, Kahn has tried to undo almost everything from the Kevin McHale regime, and trading Jefferson would be another significant step in that direction.

After rehabbing from a knee injury he suffered in February, Jefferson is still trying to work himself back to the elite form he showed last season when he had averaged 23.1 points and 11 rebounds. This season, he’s averaging 17.7 points and 9.1 rebounds.

Jefferson, 25, has three years and $42 million left on his contract after this season. Any proposed deal would’ve needed another player or two involved to make the salaries match, but the Pacers had no interest in such a discussion, sources said.

Minnesota also has chemistry issues between Jefferson and forward Kevin Love(notes). “There’s some jealous stuff that’s playing out,” one league source said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jeffersongranger011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

lol Wubio
lol 2 point guards in one draft
lol Minny

Double-Up
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
No surprises here.

mystargtr34
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I can see why, since the Pacer's already have a post player who also plays good defense. Even though Hibbert isnt anywhere near as good as Jefferson offensively, he has shown alot of potential on that end of the floor this season.

DPG21920
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
They should shop him to the Kings.

mogrovejo
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I can see why, since the Pacer's already have a post player who also plays good defense. Even though Hibbert isnt anywhere near as good as Jefferson offensively, he has shown alot of potential on that end of the floor this season.
:nope

You probably mean that none of them plays defence. Fair trade in terms of talent, but Granger is a better fit on both teams.

iggypop123
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
like i said marc gasol> big al

mystargtr34
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
:nope

You probably mean that none of them plays defence. Fair trade in terms of talent, but Granger is a better fit on both teams.

Hibbert is a good rim protector... he understands help defense and is blocking almost 2 shots a game in under 25 minutes. It really isnt his fault that the rest of the team is pretty much perimeter gunners who dont play D.

mogrovejo
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Hibbert is a good rim protector... he understands help defense and is blocking almost 2 shots a game in under 25 minutes. It really isnt his fault that the rest of the team is pretty much perimeter gunners who dont play D.

He's awfully slow footed - just like Al Jefferson. He struggles a lot with the pick'n'roll (and this season Obie isn't even asking him to show up any more). Plus, he's a very bad rebounder for a 7fter. On the top of that he's foul prone and his stamina is sketchy. The rest of the team has some good defenders: Rush, D. Jones, Earl Watson, even Granger is decent. Murphy+Hibbert inside is what kills them. Players as slow as Hibbert are a defensive hindrance in today's league.

Big Al and Hibbert are two bad defenders who need to be complemented with an athletic, mobile, defensive minded 4 (and, for Hibbert, that player also needs to be a big time rebounder) and good perimeter defenders.

mystargtr34
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
He's awfully slow footed - just like Al Jefferson. He struggles a lot with the pick'n'roll (and this season Obie isn't even asking him to show up any more). Plus, he's a very bad rebounder for a 7fter. On the top of that he's foul prone and his stamina is sketchy. The rest of the team has some good defenders: Rush, D. Jones, Earl Watson, even Granger is decent. Murphy+Hibbert inside is what kills them. Players as slow as Hibbert are a defensive hindrance in today's league.

Big Al and Hibbert are two bad defenders who need to be complemented with an athletic, mobile, defensive minded 4 (and, for Hibbert, that player also needs to be a big time rebounder) and good perimeter defenders.

My point was the Pacers wouldnt trade equal talent for a guy that is similar to something they already have ie Roy Hibbery being a watered down version of Al Jefferson. IMO hes a more valuable defender by virtue of being 7'2" and having half a foot on Al in terms of standing reach.. both are similar in that their weaknesses are their speed of foot.. so your not going to gain or lose much in that regard. Sure he has his weaknesses, but your going to struggle being a 7 foot shot blocker who does his best work in the paint, while also being a good P&R defender, unless your 2003 Kevin Garnett/Tim Duncan.

I agree that you have to gave the right guy next to Hibbert, and Jefferson to maximise their talents.. ei athletic 4's.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
More teams should be inquiring about Big Al, it usually takes a full year to recover from ACL surgery. When healthy last year he looked like a future franchise big man.

Shastafarian
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
More teams should be inquiring about Big Al, it usually takes a full year to recover from ACL surgery. When healthy last year he looked like a future franchise big man.

Haven't you heard? Marc Gasol > Al Jefferson because he's having a subpar year coming off an ACL tear and entering a new offensive system. Validation!

Darthkiller
01-10-2010, 11:40 PM
al jefferson = younger zbo

iggypop123
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Haven't you heard? Marc Gasol > Al Jefferson because he's having a subpar year coming off an ACL tear and entering a new offensive system. Validation!

he isnt a center. thats his real problem. and love is taking all his rebounds

dallaskd
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
we should make a package around j-ho for him. wolves would be the team to take that deal too..

darkwitzki
01-10-2010, 11:47 PM
al jefferson = younger zbo

they looked alike each other too.

ElNono
01-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Any chances of a Bonner/Finley package for Big Al?

EricB
01-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Any chances of a Bonner/Finley package for Big Al?

Only if you throw in Ian Mahinmi.

Then Minnesota will think its a STEAL!

jimo2305
01-11-2010, 02:51 AM
i don't get it.. why is minny trying to get read of big al again?

01-11-2010, 04:20 AM
duh... granger is a better all around player than jefferson.

i think wolves trying to get rid of jefferson because there are some chemistry/personal issues between him and love. while jefferson is a great player, he's in danger of becoming zach randolph 2.0

chrismengeu
01-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Zach Randolph is a beast what are you talking about? Spurs fans would cream their pants if they could get him. I think Al Jefferson for Danny Granger is a good deal i would do it, big man are scarce these days

01-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Zach Randolph is a beast what are you talking about? Spurs fans would cream their pants if they could get him. I think Al Jefferson for Danny Granger is a good deal i would do it, big man are scarce these days
if al jefferson is content on being the 20-10 player on a scrub team, then fine. he has all the talent to be a franchise player but he's not succeeding. same as zach randolph. franchise player talent but too lazy to play defense.