PDA

View Full Version : Male and female communication styles

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Ever wondered why you have so much trouble communicating with the opposite sex? Read this:

http://www.homestar.org/bryannan/tannen.html

I reckon it's dead on.

Jekka
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Tannen is cultural anthropology 101 for a reason. I've read a few of her books, and she has some really valid points. A big thing that the above article fails to mention, though, is that there are other extenuating factors besides the stereotypical communication styles related to gender. If you look at introversion versus extroversion (which is in fact a chemical difference and not just acquired personality traits), there are additional issues - for example, if you put an extroverted man in a room with an introverted female, the woman is probably going to stop talking first, which in turn is a big reason that it's more socially acceptable for men to be introverts than it is for women.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Tannen is cultural anthropology 101 for a reason. I've read a few of her books, and she has some really valid points. A big thing that the above article fails to mention, though, is that there are other extenuating factors besides the stereotypical communication styles related to gender. If you look at introversion versus extroversion (which is in fact a chemical difference and not just acquired personality traits), there are additional issues - for example, if you put an extroverted man in a room with an introverted female, the woman is probably going to stop talking first, which in turn is a big reason that it's more socially acceptable for men to be introverts than it is for women.

Good point. Communication, like everything else, is complex and multi-layered. I just thought it was a nice primer article for some of the guys around here who don't seem to understand why they frustrate women so much! :lol

MiamiHeat
01-10-2010, 10:38 PM
something i learned that i always remembered. it helped me land my wife and i have been happy ever since

here it is for free

All women are different and like different things, but you can win any woman on the planet if you learn how to make them feel a certain way about you.

Once you learn that, you won the battle. She will overlook all sorts of things, just because she FEELS a certain way with you or about you. Happy, laughter, safety, loved, sexually satisfied, whatever.

So learn what each woman wants, and then make her really FEEL it for you. You won.

CubanSucks
01-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Girls in all age groups would face each other and immediately began to talk, eventually ending up discussing the problems of one girl. Boys, on the other hand, sat parallel to each other and would jump from topic to topic--centered around a time when they would do something together.

Did any other guy crack up when you read this? I couldn't stop cause a million different occasions popped into my head that I never even noticed. Just today me and my friend were at work, I was sitting down on a chair and not having anything to do at the moment he pulled up another and sat fairly close to me, I don't think either one of us turned in the others direction the entire 10 minutes or so despite us always having something to say. :lol