PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs vs. Nets - Jan. 10

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
The San Antonio Spurs needed to bounce back and beat the New Jersey Nets. Despite a slow start and not playing with very much energy, the Spurs were able to come out victorious. Their 97-85 victory was powered by their defense, as the Nets scored only 38 points in the second half and shot below 40% from the field for the game.

-It was another stellar performance from Tim Duncan. He had a season-high 17 rebounds in only 27 minutes of action. He chipped in 14 points, three assists and two blocks for good measure.

-Manu Ginobili looked really good off the bench. He led the team with 21 points and made all eight of his free throws. His highlight of the night was a vintage dunk through the middle of the lane.

-Tony Parker struggled with his shot (3-for-12) and didn't seem to be playing at 100% -- for whatever reason. That said, he dished out five assists without committing a turnover ... so it wasn't all bad.

-Richard Jefferson was relatively quiet against his former team. He had only eight points and four boards but he was one of the few players on the team playing with a lot of energy.

-Keith Bogans had an impressive performance as he helped in a number of facets. He had five points, five rebounds, four assists, two steals and a block in 25 minutes. His passing off of penetration was particularly good to see.

-DeJuan Blair started at center but didn't play well. He was just 2-for-6 from the floor and grabbed only two boards in 15 minutes. His play of late suggests he may be hitting some sort of rookie wall.

-George Hill was solid across the board, finishing with ten points, four assists and no turnovers in 24 minutes. He played very good defense and ran the court well.

-Antonio McDyess was a little bit better after his disastrous performance against the Mavs. He had four points, three rebounds and two assists in 23 minutes, with his passing standing out as his best attribute on the night.

-Roger Mason, Jr. gave good effort off the bench as he scored seven points in 21 minutes. His shooting helped spread the floor and he hit a couple big shots to give the Spurs some much needed cushion.

-Where'd he come from? Ian Mahinmi was the story of the game. After not playing in the NBA for over two years, Mahinmi stepped on the court and played pretty darn well. In 21 minutes, he had 15 points, nine rebounds and a high flying block. He also hit all six of his shots from the field and three of his four free throws. Mahinmi struggled a bit with foul trouble but other than that he played about as well as could have possibly been expected considering he hasn't played any type of real game since preseason.

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Parker better play A LOT better against the Lakers, since that's our primary mismatch against them..he's going to be the guy that opens up the 3-point shooting with his penetration, and he'll obviously have to make his Js since the Lakers always give it to him..

hopefully the law of averages evens out for him..

Kori Ellis
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Manu was awesome. That dunk gave me some hope that Manu could be back in a big way come playoff time.

Tony is sick (or at least he was after the last game). A few of the players are sick with Manu's illness.

Mahinmi was a pleasant surprise. But was it a showcase game?

ElNono
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
But was it a showcase game?

You betcha. As soon as Bonner and Finley are back, he's gone...

honestfool84
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Mahinmi for Lebron? :)

Duncan21kid
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
good read

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
This game probably elevated Mahinmi's trade value to the point where a team would probably be willing to absorb his contract without the Spurs also having to throw in money to cover his salary.

Marcus Bryant
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
You could always keep him and play him.

dastrey
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Don't get our hopes up.

loveforthegame
01-10-2010, 10:20 PM

It would seem that way.

It's slightly possible that Pop doesn't like what he's seen from Dice and Blair recently to the point he's willing to give Ian a try but I doubt it.

Manufan909
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I hope this game means Pop will try to play Ian more regularly, and either play him or Theo in every game for the rest of the year. I don't smoke or drink, so I have no delusions this will happen, especially with Fin and Bonner coming back eventually (Pop's 2nd fave PF/C respectively).

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:22 PM

Yeah, let's hope Pop had a eureka moment.

ElNono
01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
No Small Ball!!!! Except for garbage time, we did not play any small ball and I thought we did a good job on defense and on the boards...

DPG21920
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
If Ian could play consistently he makes much more sense starting next to Duncan than Blair. Blair has performed very well as the starter, but Ian can space the floor a little better and is a better defender overall imo.

That was my mindset before the season, but obviously it has not played out that way and it would be a huge gamble.

objective
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Ian played well without even playing a minute next to Tim Duncan. Considering all the attention Tim gets from defenses and generally how much better he makes people around him, I'm curious as to whether Ian could be even better while next to TD.

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder if we'll ever find out why Mahinmi fell all the way to the 15th man to start the season. I can't remember a player who sat this long into the season without getting any PT in the history of Pop. He always gives players at least a few minutes early in the season to keep them interested and allow for hope.

spurs10
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the information. I was unable to watch, but heard some of it on the radio. Did anyone hear Pop's post game reaction? Sure would be great if Ian could be that big we so obviously need.

Mark in Austin
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM

I heard he was on his way to the Wiz for one of their all-stars... :lol

Seriously - I have to admit as hard as it would be to get him regular minutes, screw it - Pop should put him out there on Odom and see how he does.

But since they kept Hairston I guess it comes down to two possibbilities - the FO is either in "Fuck it - in for a penny in for a pound" mode, or more likely it was the middle of the road decision of keeping Hairston and trying to dump Mahinmi's contract with no guarantees of success vs the sure-thing savings of dumping Hairston straight up.

Much as I hate to say it, would make some sense to shave the lux tax hit to under $10M... but if Ian can play at 80% of the level he showed tonight I'd rather have him than Hairston.

Looking beyond this season it makes even more sense to keep Ian. If the Spurs can spend the 2 million this year on Mahinmi and he turns out to be a real NBA player that has repercussions on their decision / offer to Splitter...

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I wonder if we'll ever find out why Mahinmi fell all the way to the 15th man to start the season. I can't remember a player who sat this long into the season without getting any PT in the history of Pop. He always gives players at least a few minutes early in the season to keep them interested and allow for hope.

It really is confusing..

His SL/training camp/preseason play wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't bad enough for him to not get any minutes..especially when Haislip, a guy that had a horrible preseason, was being activated ahead of him..

It must have had to do with some politics IMO..something to do with his future or contract IMO..

TD 21
I don't think Parker's inconsistency is about law of averages or his being sick. Let's face it, he hasn't been right all season. Whether it's due to fatigue from playing internationally in the summer or his relatively oft sprained ankles never fully healing, he's lacked that extra burst and subsequent uncanny finishing ability at the rim that he's become synonymous with.

It's too bad, because Duncan is playing at an MVP level and Ginobili is in the process of getting his groove back, but as has been the case for the past two years, at least one of the big three clearly isn't 100% physically and because of it the Spurs are not at the peak of their powers.

objective

Maybe RC sent him an email telling him to work on his rebounding and didn't get a reply filled with apologies and praise for his superior general managing skills.

Learn your place, Ian!

DPG21920
Thing about Pop and the Spurs is that they are extremely fair to players. If Ian has said he think he can play the Spurs won't let him rot on the bench. They will give him his chance to pursue his dream as long as it makes business sense.

That is why the showcase theory makes so much sense. Will be interesting to see the post game interviews and if Pop says anything.

objective
01-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Back to Ian maybe playing with Duncan . . .

Remember the 4-5 alley-oop they used to run with TD and Robinson? Man, those were the days . . .

Be nice to see that again.

DPG21920
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Might have to do with not wanting to give him "false hope". If they were not going to pick up his contract, they might not have wanted to play him and give him the sense he might have the chance.

dbestpro
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Ian's play, if it continues could have the opposite effect (showcase) and we could see bigger salaries go. (Bonner, Finley, Ratliff) while Ian stays. I think Ian if he is able to stand out would easily resign with the Spurs after all they been through together.

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
So far in Mahinmi's NBA career, he has played 44 minutes and has 36 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks. He's made 12-of-18 shots from the field and 12-of-13 free throws.

:wow :smchode:

007nites
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
No Small Ball!!!! Except for garbage time, we did not play any small ball and I thought we did a good job on defense and on the boards...

We can't play smallball against the Lakers. There small forward is taller or as tall as our center.

DPG21920
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I knew his numbers were good, but it is a small sample size. But every time he has gotten actual NBA minutes he has produced. I have long had the opinion of Ian that he is one of those players that plays better against good competition. He gets bored easily at the DL level.

SequSpur
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM

yeah...

ian > Rasho and Nazr...

WTF?

Dude will probably go to another team and frickin almost average a double double while the Spurs are still fucking around with Matt Bonner...

Where does Mcdice come into this conversation? He gets limited minutes and really doesn't produce shit.

Tim Duncan
Ian Mapopcanblowme
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Richard Jefferson.

This should be your minute takers...

Bogans on the floor = zero offense and he is no threat which affects the others... His defense is overrated..quit mowing his lawn or whatever you're doing..he sucks...

RM Jr, GH, DBlair and yes Matt Bonner should play...the rest of this team should be waived immediately.

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Ian Mapopcanblowme

That might stick.

L.I.T
Ian's play, if it continues could have the opposite effect (showcase) and we could see bigger salaries go. (Bonner, Finley, Ratliff) while Ian stays. I think Ian if he is able to stand out would easily resign with the Spurs after all they been through together.

I don't see Ratliff going anywhere though. He's too good as an veteran insurance shot-blocking big for the playoffs.

The Bonner/Finley trade remains the Spurs fan version of nirvana.

Based on this one performance against one of the better centers in the league, warrants some PT over the next few games; if only to continue showcasing him pre-trade deadline for the Bonner/Finley/Mahinmi for All-star X.

ffadicted
So far in Mahinmi's NBA career, he has played 44 minutes and has 36 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks. He's made 12-of-18 shots from the field and 12-of-13 free throws.

Whoa wait wtf whaaaaaaaaaa', legit? :wow:wow:wow:wow

dbestpro
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
The thing that was really impressive was not in the box score. Ian's size and jumping skill caused the Nets to alter several shots. I know Ratliff has that ability but I have not seen that type of effect on a game for as long as Ian was in the game since.... well you know who.

ElNono
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM

And 22 fouls? :lol

SequSpur
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't see Ratliff going anywhere though. He's too good as an veteran insurance shot-blocking big for the playoffs.

The Bonner/Finley trade remains the Spurs fan version of nirvana.

Based on this one performance against one of the better centers in the league, warrants some PT over the next few games; if only to continue showcasing him pre-trade deadline for the Bonner/Finley/Mahinmi for All-star X.

Ratliff was good in 1982

SequSpur
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
And 22 fouls? :lol

dude, he got jobbed on those calls tonight...

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's the thing about the players in front of him..

None of those guys are good enough that we can say that we can't sit them for 10-15 minutes to give Ian a chance..

Is anybody actually going to argue that this team depends on McDyess, Blair or Bonner so much that the team would be lost without them and with Ian on the floor?..

It's worth a shot without a doubt IMO..if he can ball, good for the Spurs, if he doesn't, get those other guys back in and we'll know where the team stands in the frontcourt..

We aren't winning games because of McDyess, Blair or Bonner right now..

Mark in Austin

Where's a Borat Wowaweewa smiley when you need it? I guess I'll settle for :hitit: ... but the command for this one should really be :tlong....

dbestpro
dude, he got jobbed on those calls tonight...

He also played extended minutes with 5 fouls. Guess he started earning some NBA ref respect. Hope they pass it on to their other zebra friends.

dbreiden83080
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM

Jesus Christ Pop,

give the Kid some minutes..

tav1
01-10-2010, 10:47 PM
While I think this is likely a showcase game, maybe Mahinmi just had a few impressive practices of late and Pop had a "What the hell, it's the Nets" moment.

angelbelow
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Definitely a pleasant surprise... wonder if anything is about to happen in the next few days.

L.I.T
01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Ratliff was good in 1982

Him and Mike Finley both.

And yet, Ratliff does provide a needed skill set.

SequSpur
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
ummm...can I start a new topic? I can't figure out which topic I should post in...Initial Reaction....Unleash Ian or the Game thread?

TD 21
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but for those wondering about the rotation against the Lakers, my guess is (assuming Gasol plays, which I am) we will in fact see small ball. McDyess will likely get the first crack at Odom, struggle guarding him off the dribble and that will likely give way to Pop playing Jefferson on Odom, particularly down the stretch. This will also allow Pop to go with Bogans on Bryant with the game in the balance (assuming it's close).

SequSpur
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but for those wondering about the rotation against the Lakers, my guess is (assuming Gasol plays, which I am) we will in fact see small ball. McDyess will likely get the first crack at Odom, struggle guarding him off the dribble and that will likely give way to Pop playing Jefferson on Odom, particularly down the stretch. This will also allow Pop to go with Bogans on Bryant with the game in the balance (assuming it's close).

Kobe will go for 50 on Bogans.

Bruno
01-10-2010, 10:57 PM

When Spurs faced Toronto in early November, Parker and Duncan were injured and some members of Spurs' staff told Ian that he would be activated for the game. During the shoot around, RC wished him good luck but just before the game Pop told him that there have been a miscommunication within Spurs' staff and that Hairston would be the one activated.

It was damn nice to see Ian bouncing back after that event and after having spent two months in a suit behind the bench.

SenorSpur
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I did like how TP was actively looking toward Ian's direction off backscreen and as he was rolling to the hoop. He didn't really connect with him on several attempts, but it was nice to see just the same.

dbestpro
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Ian will not see the Lakers because Pop will not want to put that much on the guy with just one game back.

SenorSpur
01-10-2010, 11:01 PM
-Where'd he come from? Ian Mahinmi was the story of the game. After not playing in the NBA for over two years, Mahinmi stepped on the court and played pretty darn well. In 21 minutes, he had 15 points, nine rebounds and a high flying block. He also hit all six of his shots from the field and three of his four free throws. Mahinmi struggled a bit with foul trouble but other than that he played about as well as could have possibly been expected considering he hasn't played any type of real game since preseason.

With the manner in which Dice sucked balls against the Mavs, how nice would've have been had Pop decided to make this surprise change during that game. This is not to say the Ian would've duplicated the showing, but having an active big, who is quick, and good around the rim, would've been a nice change of pace.

Johnny RIngo
01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Kobe will go for 50 on Bogans.

I don't think anybody's ever dropped 50 on the Spurs. Closest(in recent years) was Iverson with 46 in '99 and Kobe with 45 in 2001.

ducks
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I wonder if pop wants ian to play the lakers just to see what he could do
another big
give him one game before them

jag
01-10-2010, 11:38 PM

this going to incite mass hysteria from the anti-Pop crowd

Blackjack
01-10-2010, 11:54 PM
While I think this is likely a showcase game, maybe Mahinmi just had a few impressive practices of late and Pop had a "What the hell, it's the Nets" moment.

I didn't realize Ian had been activated until he actually entered the game, so my initial thoughts were: 1. Malik's going back to the Toros and they're throwing Ian a bone; 2. Now's as good a time to showcase him as any; 3. He's really been impressive lately in practice and they'd do themselves a disservice to not see if it could translate under the bright lights; and 4. With the Lakers on deck and with the extended minutes Tim was forced to play against Dallas, they wanted to do a little of all the above: use him as a minute-eater, showcase him, and reward him for good play and/or all the hard work he's put in without ever getting the chance to taste the proverbial carrot.

After listening to Coach Brown's interview with Schoening though, I think we can eliminate the: 'He's forced his way on the court because of his play in practice' theory. Brown was asked directly about it and there was nothing that came off as deceptive or disingenuous. He stated they've had little to no competitive practice for Ian to show anything that would warrant a must-play situation, and what they had been able to see was nothing they didn't already know.

Brown genuinely sounded happy for Ian, expressed what a hard worker he's been, and was very impressed with the outing given the almost two years away from the game; at it's highest level, at least. When pressed if Ian's performance might dictate another look and even an appearance against the upcoming Lakers (while he admitted to not knowing exactly what Pop would do) he gave a strong impression that it very well could; talk of the Lakers size upfront had Brown thinking that Ianny (everyone's an -E, I swear:lol) would be someone that might deserve a look on Odom with his athleticism.

So whether this is nothing more than a showcase game, (likely) a realization that they need help on the front line and they need to exhaust possibilities, (possibly) or just a case of throwing a bone to a guy who's been through a lot and put in just as much work..(maybe) I'm happy for the guy.

How someone with his size and talent that possesses a needed skill set can't sniff the court, once healthy, is just mind-boggling; there has to be something we don't know..

Where's Ludden when you need him?

Marcus Bryant
01-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Spurs dumped Scola for $. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-11-2010, 12:56 AM

:hat

spurs10
01-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Did anyone hear any post game reactions other than Coach Bud, who had good things to say about Ian?

hsxvvd
01-11-2010, 01:07 AM

:lmao Seems obvious.

itzsoweezee
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
So whether this is nothing more than . . . a realization that they need help on the front line and they need to exhaust possibilities,

I really hope this is the case. Because that would suggest that Popovich at least acknowledges that the frontline is not working out as it currently is and that he knows that Boner is not the answer we're looking for.

Blackjack
01-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I really hope this is the case. Because that would suggest that Popovich at least acknowledges that the frontline is not working out as it currently is and that he knows that Boner is not the answer we're looking for.

It doesn't say much for my maturity level, but every time I see someone do that (purposely or inadvertently) I :lol.

Sean Cagney
01-11-2010, 02:13 AM

He hits near 100% of his FT's, clearly he is not for this damn team :lol:lol:bang

EricB
01-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I would say his next shot at solid minutes will be VS OKC.

We shall see if

1, he plays, if he does then
2, what he does with it.

I find it extremely hard to believe that he will crack the rotation.

Admidave50
01-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Very good game from Ian! Pop was obviously showcasing him and he only has a slight chance to stay but I wish him all the best.

objective
01-11-2010, 03:25 AM
re: trading him to NJ for a trade exception . . .

One thing I noticed at the end of the game was Ian going over to the Nets bench to give some love to Roy Rogers, who is an AC for the Nets. For anyone who didn't know, Roy Rogers was the assistant to Quinn Snyder in Austin during Ian's all-star d-league season and spent a lot of time working with Ian.

Roy Rogers sitting two chairs from Kiki and being able to speak for Ian's potential could be a dealmaker. What better situation in the NBA for Ian would there be than a team that could not only use help up front next to Lopez but has an assistant coach on the team who already has a rapport with him, a built in support system.

kobyz
01-11-2010, 03:54 AM
i always thought Mahinmi could be for us what Perkins is for the Celtics if giving the trust from Pop, different type of player but the same contribution. but i guess it's too late!

Blackjack
01-11-2010, 03:57 AM

One thing I noticed at the end of the game was Ian going over to the Nets bench to give some love to Roy Rogers, who is an AC for the Nets. For anyone who didn't know, Roy Rogers was the assistant to Quinn Snyder in Austin during Ian's all-star d-league season and spent a lot of time working with Ian.

Roy Rogers sitting two chairs from Kiki and being able to speak for Ian's potential could be a dealmaker. What better situation in the NBA for Ian would there be than a team that could not only use help up front next to Lopez but has an assistant coach on the team who already has a rapport with him, a built in support system.

Thank you!:toast

I knew I recognized him and was thinking it had something to do with the D-League, but I couldn't place the face.

I was thinking it could only give credence to a Nets showcasing, which doesn't sound too off base now, so I'm glad someone else noticed.:tu

newacc
01-11-2010, 04:42 AM

That's just crazy enough to work.

newacc
01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
One thing I think Pop has always overlooked in rotations/acquisitions is players that make exciting plays. It's great to have a system, but once in awhile it's important to have an exciting dunk or block. It gets fans and teammates going and creates momentum.

"Fab" getting a 1 inch layup and Ian flying through the lane create two polar reactions.

If Ian doesn't see more playing time, the Mad Scientist is playing mind games with himself.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2010, 05:01 AM
I think you're kidding yourself if tonight made it any more likely Ian will be in a Spurs uniform past the trade deadline. In fact, I'm almost positive it just had the opposite effect.

Ian is someone I wanted to work out a long time ago but that ship has sailed.

Bukefal
01-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Ginobili did great. As for Mahinmi, wow, im impressed, who would have thought that. Dont know why Pop put him in though, is it for a trade coming up or not? Anyway, he did great.

01-11-2010, 05:37 AM
-DeJuan Blair started at center but didn't play well. He was just 2-for-6 from the floor and grabbed only two boards in 15 minutes. His play of late suggests he may be hitting some sort of rookie wall.
dejuan blair does not hit the rookie wall. the rookie wall hits dejuan blair. i could not resist.

also, what's tantalizing is that after this exciting debut back into the nba, mahinmi is most likely on his way out either via a salary dump or packaged in some sort of trade.

mountainballer
01-11-2010, 06:45 AM

interesting.
on the other hands, the Nets just traded Najera for Shawne Williams and Kris Humphries.
Humphries has a season left on his contract (at 3.2 million) and this move also doesn't increase the cap space 2010. (200K minus)
they wanted to get rid of Najera in the 1st plce, but this only makes sense, if they as well plan to play Humphries. so it's a legit question, if they want to trade for another young big.

Nets also want to get rid of Boone. maybe something like Ian for Boone?
(doesn't work straight, needs to be something like Ian+Haislip)
interesting would be Boone for Ian+Finley, (with a Finley buy out). the trade is Finley, Ian would be absorbed by the TE the Nets hold. even if Spurs include money to cover Fin's remaining salary for this season, they still save more money from the tax bill.

Brazil
01-11-2010, 07:14 AM

:wow didn't see the game, I jumped this morning the initial reaction and boum Ian Mahinmi was the story of the game :wow :wow :wow

I think it's a showcasing stuff but why not trying to play him instead of showcasing. Maybe a 15 9 in 21 minutes young guy deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Pop come on unleash him !

eric365
01-11-2010, 08:38 AM
How many personal fouls?

On a side note I would like to point out that the Spurs kept their second unit on the court most of the fourth quarter and they kept the lead at around 10. Had the big 3 played late the score likely would have been around 20.

9 PF. But he deserved only 3 on 5 yesterday IMO

benefactor
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Wow...looks like I missed the coming out party. I saw he was in the game but after spending the day fixing two busted pipes at my house I just could not stay awake through the whole thing.

With the Thunder's athleticism and the Lakers size I think he should get minutes against both of them. This works well on many levels...rest for Duncan, lack of small ball and hopefully a carrot for a team wanting to make a deal. The timing of this reeks of showcasing too(a month and some change away from the deadline).

eric365
01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
And Ian is leading the league in PER with 36 !

mystargtr34
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I would say his next shot at solid minutes will be VS OKC.

We shall see if

1, he plays, if he does then
2, what he does with it.

I find it extremely hard to believe that he will crack the rotation.

Why?

EricB
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Why?

Because he's not better than the players in front of him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Yep, Dice and Theo have been way more impressive :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Of course, the game last night from Ian ties McDyess's season high with 15 pts. Dice has only had two games with more boards this season.

Mahinmi is bigger and faster than Blair, and displayed a lot more energy and pop than McDyess has this season. I'd figure out a way to get him some minutes and see if he can continue to shine. It's not like the Spurs have beaten anyone of substance so far this season anyway. If he could end up being a difference maker, that would be great.

You could cut back Dice's minutes for awhile, and sub Ian for Timmy instead. Let Bonner and Blair be the two-headed monster at the other post.

The Spurs would be crazy not to at least see if this game was a fluke or not.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
playing mahinmi no minutes til now makes even less sense when you consider how much time and resources have been used towards developing him

not only do we have more invested in him than in any rookie from a development standpoint, but we've shafted him more than any rookie in the PT department.

z0sa
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM

What a well thought out rebuttal.

TampaDude
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
The Spurs were just shooting some shots...just beating a team they were supposed to beat...no surprises there... :D

Spurs Brazil
01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Brown genuinely sounded happy for Ian, expressed what a hard worker he's been, and was very impressed with the outing given the almost two years away from the game; at it's highest level, at least. When pressed if Ian's performance might dictate another look and even an appearance against the upcoming Lakers (while he admitted to not knowing exactly what Pop would do) he gave a strong impression that it very well could; talk of the Lakers size upfront had Brown thinking that Ianny (everyone's an -E, I swear) would be someone that might deserve a look on Odom with his athleticism.

I got some hope to see Ian on the court again after B.Brown interview.

But with Pop we never know. Ian can finish the season with a 15pts 9rebs average in 1 game :depressed

Coach Brown interview http://www.nba.com/spurs/media/100110_brown.mp3

Marcus Bryant
01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Surprised that it took this long for Mahinmi to see the court this season.

Can see the logic in getting McDyess familiar with his new teammates and vice versa.

Still, give Mahinmi and Blair the minutes during the reg season to work on their games and also to keep the minutes down on the more veteran bigs.

EricB
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
What a well thought out rebuttal.

Didn't know I was required to give one.

EricB
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Of course, the game last night from Ian ties McDyess's season high with 15 pts. Dice has only had two games with more boards this season.

Mahinmi is bigger and faster than Blair, and displayed a lot more energy and pop than McDyess has this season. I'd figure out a way to get him some minutes and see if he can continue to shine. It's not like the Spurs have beaten anyone of substance so far this season anyway. If he could end up being a difference maker, that would be great.

You could cut back Dice's minutes for awhile, and sub Ian for Timmy instead. Let Bonner and Blair be the two-headed monster at the other post.

Eh. I agree with you on how it COULD be done but I just think it's too late in the game to integrate a fifth big man. Blair and dyess need the minutes and the time with the big three.

SpurNation
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
It was the Nets. I believe Ian was being showcased. Some players aren't available for trade until after 01/15. I don't think Ian's playing is coincidental to that date.

SenorSpur
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Screw who the opposition was. This was 15 & 9 against a young developing player in Brook Lopez, from a guy that hasn't had any meaningful NBA minutes -ever. I don't see Haseem Thabeet, Andrew Bynum, Spencer Hawes or even Ryan Hollins putting up eye-catching stats on a regular basis.

Any way you slice it, this was goddamn impressive and if the Spurs coaching staff, specifically Pop weren't impressed, then they need to get their heads out of Dice and Ratliff's ass.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
It was the Nets. I believe Ian was being showcased. Some players aren't available for trade until after 01/15. I don't think Ian's playing is coincidental to that date.

I don't think the mentality of the FO is to sit around this year either. I think they've proven that they're going to do whatever is necessary to win in the next two seasons. I'm looking for a trade of significance in the coming weeks. And you're right, the timing, and the opponent, for Ian's coming out party is pretty interesting.

sonic21
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Ian was great. Very good for the french NT :tu

Brazil
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Ian was great. Very good for the french NT :tu

:lol :stirpot:

Obstructed_View
01-11-2010, 04:20 PM
This game probably elevated Mahinmi's trade value to the point where a team would probably be willing to absorb his contract without the Spurs also having to throw in money to cover his salary.

Dude, that just puts a knot in my stomach...

AFBlue
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm all for the Spurs letting Mahinmi suit up ahead of Ratliff. That guy has been completely unimpressive in his limited action, aside from one or two blocks at the rim.

There's no reason Ratliff should be ahead of Mahinmi in the rotation...none whatsoever.

Good job by Mahinmi last night...a welcomed surprise.

SenorSpur
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm all for the Spurs letting Mahinmi suit up ahead of Ratliff. That guy has been completely unimpressive in his limited action, aside from one or two blocks at the rim.

There's no reason Ratliff should be ahead of Mahinmi in the rotation...none whatsoever.

Good job by Mahinmi last night...a welcomed surprise.

home run!

:tu

spurs10
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I hope Ian's strong play was a surprise to the coaches as well as us. With our less than great post defense ( 23rd?), we obviously need some "big" help. Ian is hungry and has something to prove. The next two games will be revealing in many ways.

rvman21
01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Thing about Pop and the Spurs is that they are extremely fair to players. If Ian has said he think he can play the Spurs won't let him rot on the bench. They will give him his chance to pursue his dream as long as it makes business sense.

That is why the showcase theory makes so much sense. Will be interesting to see the post game interviews and if Pop says anything.

then how do you explain not playing hill last year in the playoffs

Solid D
01-12-2010, 01:17 AM
san antonio craigslist > > create posting
Your posting will expire from the site in 30 days.

Posting Title: Basketball Player Ian Mahinmi
Price:
$ Best offer
- Specific Location: San Antonio Spurs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to:
hide anonymize (will show as: [email protected]) [?]

Posting Description:
6'11" Basketball Player, plays Center or Forward, 23 years old and very athletic French Player.

http://www.spurscourtside.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Ian-Mahinmi.jpg
Add/Edit Image

SenorSpur
01-12-2010, 03:24 AM

That's the key issue right there. The Spurs are 3-11 against teams with a .500 record or better. Included in that record are several disappointing losses to the perennial contenders. Because Dice and Ratliff have been woefully underwhelming to this point, and because TD is still carrying more of the load on the frontline on both ends, there is absolutely no reason NOT to give Ian a shot.

objective
01-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Because Dice and Ratliff have been woefully underwhelming to this point, and because TD is still carrying more of the load on the frontline on both ends, there is absolutely no reason NOT to give Ian a shot.

well there are reasons . . . like not giving opportunities to a player who definately won't be here past this season when there are players on the roster who will be (Blair and McDyess) and a player who likely will be (Bonner). Or like not letting Ian make them look bad when they can't afford to re-sign him and people around the league ask "what were they thinking?".

Not good reasons . . . but reasons.

If he's even marginally acceptable as a role player, they can't keep him. Jackie Butler, Amir Johnson and Francisco Elson got bigger contracts than the Spurs can afford to give Ian off years where they weren't lighting up the league.

Why do a one year rental when you have other players to give minutes to, like a crafty, highly respected McDyess, the Prince of Plus-Minus Matt Bonner, and proven limited minutes role player Theo Ratliff.

The die has been cast. :depressed

Obstructed_View
01-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Why do a one year rental when you have other players to give minutes to, like a crafty, highly respected McDyess, the Prince of Plus-Minus Matt Bonner, and proven limited minutes role player Theo Ratliff.

Yeah, why give yourself a chance to win? You might as well stuff the guy at the end of the bench until July when he signs with someone else. There's no better remedy for a stupid decision than an even more stupid decision.

That'll teach the Spurs' face.