PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mahinmi grateful to ‘big brother' Parker

duncan228
01-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Mahinmi grateful to ‘big brother' Parker (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_grateful_to_big_brother_Parker.html)
Mike Monroe

It was Halloween night 2009 when Spurs forward-center Ian Mahinmi found out the team that had made him the 28th selection in the 2005 draft would not be picking up the fourth year of his NBA rookie scale contract.

A career setback that should have been as frightening as a Mexican freetail bat on the loose in the AT&T Center was met with equanimity rarely seen in NBA locker rooms.

On that night, Mahinmi said he understood why the Spurs felt they hadn't seen enough of his game to commit to a 2010-11 contract that would pay him $1.77 million. He promised to work hard, be ready when called on and do his best to stay positive.

The unproven 23-year-old was more than ready Sunday night when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called him from the bench to make his first appearance in a regular season game since Nov. 13, 2007. In nearly 21 flawless minutes against the New Jersey Nets, he produced 15 points, nine rebounds and a dynamic block.

Staying positive wasn't always easy, and Mahinmi expressed gratitude to teammates who helped him cope with disappointment and frustration, especially All-Star point guard Tony Parker, his French countryman.

“I've got to say Tony has been like a big brother,” Mahinmi said. “Last year, Ime (Udoka) was there, and he helped me stay positive and keep my mind right with my ankle injury. Malik (Hairston) is one of my best friends on the team, too, but ‘TP' is like my big brother.”

Parker couldn't wait to heap praise on Mahinmi, whose injury woes had followed him to Europe last summer when the two played forLes Bleus, the French national team.

“It's very hard to be in the NBA and never play, to always be in a suit,” Parker said. “It's been three years. He played with me on the national team; he got hurt in the first game.

“This year, he's been healthy the whole season. He just didn't get to play. Pop gave him his opportunity, he stayed ready, and I'm very happy for him.”

Duncan's milestones: Spurs captain Tim Duncan played only 27:17 on Sunday and sat out the fourth quarter, but that didn't stop him from grabbing a season-high 17 rebounds. He also scored 14 points, bringing him just 94 points shy of 20,000 for his career.

Worst to first: The Nets brought the NBA's worst record to the AT&T Center on Sunday. The Spurs' next game will bring the Lakers, with the NBA's best record.

HarlemHeat37
01-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Good story, hope he continues to impress..

Ditty
01-11-2010, 01:00 AM
I thought kg was traded to the spurs today :)