PDA

View Full Version : 2 days after loss to Mavs/night of win vs Nets

draft87
01-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Sometimes the best conversations happen after a short delay from experience. Obviously the loss to Dallas was frustrating for several reasons:

a) 2 losses in 3 games which ultimately ended up being-
b) regression after an impressive 11 wins in 12 games
c) poor officiating cutting our chances to play like the team we've been building(frontcourt-Blair, McDyess)

I want to start this thread in the spirit of the recent SpursTalk revival the admins are asking for. If you think you can add something to the table in regards to a perspective on the past week of Spurs basketball, please let your voice be heard. Please do not add the same stuff you posted the past two days...unless you are elaborating or supporting your thoughts with details/stats.
For example, don't be a punk and write something stupid like, "waive Keith Bogans, he sucks" because
1) that's a really poor 'assessment'
2) if you're going to say some really outrageous, stupid shit at least try to make an actual case(the process of doing so should actually stop you from continuing the argument anyway)

The things I want to add are:

Even though the game was a loss and the aforementioned crappiness still probably stings, I'd like to point out some encouraging observations of the past two games:

-First, for humor, did anybody see the very beginning of the broadcast Friday night? I watched it on League Pass-before the starting lineup was shown there was a live camera on the court with dead air. Nobody was talking, it appeared the network cut to the camera on the court when it should have been off-air or in commercial. Somebody was messing with the replay pen(white lines drawn by Sean Elliott) and drew a couple circles before eventually outlining a head. The first big circle(head) was drawn and erased a couple times and then two big, oblong, oval-y shapes were flanking the head(ears). The ears were really big and as the rest of the drawing clearly implied a head I couldn't help but think that someone was trying to bust Sean Elliott's nuts. I laughed a bit and then thought it would be REALLY funny if Sean was mocking himself.

-now for the real stuff. First of all, yeah Jason Terry is a punk-ass bitch. One day he's gonna pull that shit with the wrong motherfucker. I know he's a big pussy and probably won't consciously cheap shot an actual beast, but maybe the Mavs make a strong push this year and his ego blinds him into a bad move. I would LOVE to see him get bitch-slapped and watch him get a lot of press for a being a punk-ass and hopefully mess with his head. I really hate him and I was so proud of George Hill for stepping up to him.

George accomplished a couple things:

a) remember how Pop was concerned about George having the brass to stick with in the playoffs last year? ...yeah he already admitted the mistake, and even though he's loosened the leash on Blair I'm sure he's susceptible to falling back on vets(i.e. Mahinmi the entire season). - I'm not saying he's wrong or right but acknowledging a truth that Coach Pop lacks trust in youth more than most coaches in the league- Well after George got right up from the trip and stepped in Jason Terry's face I don't think anyone can deny his courage and maturity. I was proud of George for that. He didn't swing, he didn't do anything he's not supposed to do, yeah he got a T but anybody who gets a cheap shot and confronts the bitch gets a T. But he let Jason Terry know that shit won't fly like Mike Finley anymore. Not only can the team believe in him but now the Mavs can fear a mean streak in George Hill now. I like it.

b) how bad would it have been if George actually decked JT? He would have received a fine, a suspension, the Spurs maybe have a rough rotation with Mason at backup point for a couple games. ...maybe the Spurs even fine him but I don't think that Coach Pop stops loving him. I think the organization looks at it like a rivalry game and a reaction to a cheap shot. George will still be George and if anything they'll be getting some respect for putting JT in his place. I guarantee you Jason Terry doesn't pull that shit anymore and you don't hear any "Dirty Spurs" whining ever again. More people acknowledge the cheap shot from JT and the media points out all his cheap shots and altercations and a bunch of people say, "He deserved it" The next time we play the Mavs we have an edge cause JT knows there's a microscope on him.

c) back to reality. George is pissed, he's in JTs face. His teammates pull him away. DeJuan Blair gives him some support. Whether he said, "Fuck that Bitch, his punk ass ain't worth it, just dunk in his face next play" or "Take it Easy, Georgie" doesn't matter. The rookie was right up to support his teammate. Blair is comfortable being vocal and supportive with his team. That's a great sign.
...and just a little later when Ginobili sent that great pass to Blair for a dunk and foul George ran in from the wing to give him a screaming chest bump that encouraged Blair for the strong play, thanked him for being a good teammate, and blew the steam that could have prevented him from staying in the game. I was really impressed seeing the Rookie and the Sophomore developing a relationship on the court and seeing that all around intensity from the young Spurs. Their energy has a lot of heart. It's something that should we develop it into productivity, will benefit us greatly in the postseason. It's the kinda shit you see OKC win games with. Sacramento is defying odds with it and Portland is keeping things alive with it. If San Antonio regains the "Corporate Knowledge" we've prospered with, we stand to really challenge the elite teams with a fusion of youth/spirit/energy

-along the same vein, I saw Malik Hairston, the player who went inactive in order for Ian to become active, with a big smile, cheering and congratulating Ian on a game-well-played as they were leaving the court. It's great to see young players buying into the system. They are overlooking individual achievements for the good of the team. They're not getting discouraged by losing minutes in order to win games. (maybe playing Ian wasn't strategic, maybe it was, either way, it's good to cheer on your mate's success even if he's the one who took your roster spot). When Ian made that fast break dunk after the block I was just as pumped to see the actual dunk as I was to see Timmy and the bench(minus Haislip and Ratliff) get on their feet and cheer the play!

This team has had rough games, a rough start, and a recently shitty loss to Dallas but they're looking forward to winning the next game, improving their mistakes, etc. Hopefully some ST members can take a hint from that mindset.

HarlemHeat37
01-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Hairston and Ian are apparently best friends on the team, so I guess it's not that surprising..it did look like everybody was really happy for him and cheering hard for him though, good to see..hopefully he can give us more things to cheer about..

Bender
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I would have loved hill to pop JT, but.... none of that in the new NBA.... You've got to stand there like a wimp and take it... just like in public school.