View Full Version : Top Candidates To Replace Carroll

symple19
01-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Top candidates to replace Pete Carroll at USC

Dave Curtis
Archive Email Dave Curtis
Comments (35)More
Saturday, Jan. 9, 2010 - 3:11 p.m. ET
Pete Carroll's reported departure from USC back to the NFL leaves open one of college football's most attractive coaching gigs. And the early list of candidates to replace him features a diverse group of coaches with one common thread: lots of success.
Here's a look at the guys best suited to take over the Trojans and try to restore them as the kings of the sport:

Could Jack Del Rio find at USC the success that has eluded him in the NFL?
1. Jack Del Rio, head coach, Jacksonville Jaguars: Of all the popular possibilities, Del Rio makes the most sense. He's a USC alum with little-to-no job security (or franchise security) at his current spot. He also seems to possess Carroll-level charisma.
2. Jeff Fisher, head coach, Tennessee Titans: Long a favorite of USC athletic director Mike Garrett, Fisher, too, is a USC grad with a Super Bowl appearance on his coaching resume. He is the NFL's longest-tenured coach with one team, and in 2007 he signed a contract extension through 2011 worth close to $6 million per year.
Will USC recover? Curtis says yes | Hayes says no
3. Carl Smith, QB coach, Cleveland Browns: An unconventional candidate, Smith coached Matt Leinart during USC's national-title season in 2004. Smith's ties to Pete Carroll might hurt.
4. Jim Harbaugh, head coach, Stanford: Here's the "hot coach in the West" spot—Utah's Kyle Whittingham could fit here, as well. Harbaugh turned down an overture from Kansas this winter and signed an extension with Stanford through 2014.
5. Mike Riley, head coach, Oregon State: Although a college football source told Sporting News he expects Riley to remove himself from consideration, expect USC to send a significant offer to the former San Diego Chargers head man.
UPDATE: Oregon State and Riley announced a contract extension Sunday night.
Stranger things have happened (five more you shouldn't rule out): Norm Chow, UCLA offensive coordinator; Lane Kiffin, Tennessee coach; Bronco Mendenhall, BYU coach; Steve Sarkisian, Washington coach; DeWayne Walker, New Mexico State coach.

symple19
01-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Definitely don't see Fisher leaving, but Del Rio makes sense.

Tlong will be happy that Riley signed an extension, so that's not an option.

Harbaugh is a very good coach, but I really think he wants to continue his work with Stanford. JH is one hell of a recruiter, but I don't know if the rest of the package fits USC. I see him in the NFL instead.

I like Norm Chow as a coach, but it doesn't seem to me like he has the personality to grow the program.

Whoever it is will have to have a big enough name to fill the Carroll vacuum, as well as an ability to schmooze the media, at which Pete is a master. LA (USC) is a different animal, and demands a slightly different skillset than many other schools.

Whatever the case, there is certainly 3 years worth of top-notch talent to play with. The new coach will be expected to win early and often.

I do think that if USC makes a bad choice and doesn't return to dominance next year it could cause a downward trend in that program. However, a good choice and a 10 win season next year should solidify the Trojan's status as a leading program for years to come(unless the NCAA nails em' with sanctions). Will be fun to watch.

symple19
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Related
By JC Shurburtt and Gerry Hamilton
Scouts Inc.
The departure of Pete Carroll from Southern California starts the breakup of one of the great recruiting dynasties of this decade. Under Carroll, the Trojans were able to walk into any school anywhere in the country and have a great shot at a prospect.

Since 2006, the Trojans annually have had a recruiting class ranked in the top 10. They were No. 2 in 2006, No. 1 in 2007, No. 7 in 2008 and No. 4 in 2009. There were reasons for this. The first, of course, is winning. USC, while it will always be a program rich in tradition, experienced a renaissance on the field under Carroll. The Trojans won national championships in 2003 (Associated Press) and 2004 and played for the title in 2005. They had three Heisman Trophy winners (Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush), numerous first-round draft picks and dominance in the Pac-10.

Who's Next?
Several names have emerged as potential candidates to replace Pete Carroll at Southern California. Here's a look from a recruiting standpoint at five of the names (in alphabetical order) being mentioned.

Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars: Del Rio is a former Trojans linebacker who knows all about the rich tradition at USC, which is an important selling point. He also brings years of experience at the highest level, which is another selling point. But there is still an unknown when you are looking strictly from a recruiting standpoint.

Jeff Fisher, Tennessee Titans: Fisher has been an NFL coach for a long time, so it's hard to gauge what type of recruiter he would be. Chances are, he would be pretty good at it or have a staff that would be pretty good at it. He's a USC alum like Del Rio, so he can sell the tradition of the school and has a terrific personality.

Jim Harbaugh, Stanford: Harbaugh could pick up where Carroll left off and has shown the ability at Stanford to go out and recruit nationally. Without the stringent academic requirements that he has in Palo Alto, he could also recruit a higher percentage of in-state players and have a broader range of players across the country to choose from. This would be the mother lode from a recruiting standpoint and possibly a coaching standpoint as well.

Mike Riley, Oregon State: Riley is an outstanding evaluator and developer of talent and has done an excellent job finding the players to compete for Pac-10 championships in Corvallis. He's one of the more underrated football coaches in the country and it would be intriguing to see what he could accomplish if he were able to sign more elite players at USC.

DeWayne Walker, New Mexico State: Walker would be a terrific fit because of his deep ties, not only to the USC program, but to recruiting the Los Angeles area, which is one of the nation's richest in terms of high school talent. Walker is well-respected by players and coaches and that's important when you are talking about recruiting.

-- JC Shurburtt

There was also the appeal of Los Angeles. The nation's second-largest city and one of the largest media markets in the world has no NFL football team, so while the Trojans were winning, they indeed were the toast of Tinseltown. That's quite a sell to a 17- or 18-year-old young man from Anywhere, U.S.A.
Also, Carroll and his staff did a great job of coaching with high energy and enthusiasm. That was something that appealed to high-profile recruits. His personality resonated well with parents and players alike and his staff was energetic, professional, excellent at recruiting, and, for the most part, knew a ton about football.

So the Trojans were an easy sell, but a lot of it had to do with Carroll, his ability to win and the overall philosophy within the program.

Now that he's gone, the reaction from the recruits in USC's 2010 class has been mixed. The Trojans are ranked just 11th in the country right now and while it is a small class (only 14 commits, but 10 four-star players), it was poised to make a late run considering USC is still in the mix for several of the nation's best players. Now that is all up in the air.

Four-star wide receiver Kyle Prater (Proviso, Ill./West) has backed off a verbal to the Trojans. The 6-foot-6, 210-pounder was an early enrollee and was only a couple of days away from heading to Los Angeles to start college. Expect him to take a long look at in-state Illinois and perhaps Notre Dame or some other programs now.

"I really don't know what to say. I'm pretty shocked. I'm just trying to get with my family and my head right," Prater said. "I'm not going to be in Los Angeles on Monday. It just hurts. I really don't know what to say. I wasn't told of anything. I just need to sit down with my family."

Junior college tackle Brice Schwab (Palomar Junior College) has reopened his recruitment after hearing the news.

"I am decommitting," he said. "Since I am a junior college guy, I am going to return to my junior college and see what happens. I am sure other colleges will be interested, but I really haven't had a chance to get any information together. I am trying to get living situation and stuff like that done. I want to be a Trojan, so I am going to see what happens with the coaching situation."

Like Prater, Schwab was two days from heading to Los Angeles for the next term. While most of the high school prospects cite Carroll's relationship-building as a main factor, for Schwab it was more of a business decision.

"I looked at the coaching techniques [Carroll] used, things like the competition level was higher in the practice," he said. "As a junior college player who had already been through the recruiting process once, I felt the business aspect of the Division I level. I understand he has to do what he has to do."

But while Prater and Schwab are backing off the Trojans, their top-ranked recruit -- four-star WR Robert Woods (Gardena, Calif./Junipero Serra) -- says he is sticking with USC despite the news of Carroll's departure.

"It's pretty shocking, pretty much out of nowhere. Whatever Pete [Carroll] does is a great decision for him. It doesn't change much for me," said Woods, who is No. 23 in the ESPNU 150. "USC is the school I chose and I think I'm going to stick with it. "

Four-star athlete Anthony Brown (Fontana, Calif./Henry J. Kaiser) is another player who was caught off guard by the news, but isn't switching from USC.

"I'm still going to be a Trojan," he said. "It shocked me. I don't really know what to say."

But perhaps the biggest thing to watch is how the undecided commits who had USC among their finalists react, like the nation's top-ranked recruit, Jackson Jeffcoat (Plano, Texas/West), who is considering USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Arizona State and Houston.

"Well, It's tough because he had told all of us that are looking at USC that he was going to stay, so some of us are upset about it," said Jeffcoat, a five-star DE. "You can't do anything about it. I'm still going to look at them, but I just want to see who the coach is going to be."

Another prospect to watch is five-star OT Seantrel Henderson (Minneapolis/Cretin-Derham), who is No. 4 in the ESPNU 150. He's considering USC, Ohio State, Florida, Notre Dame, Miami and Minnesota. USC is also in the mix for four-star S Sean Parker (Harbor City, Calif./Narbonne), who's No. 26 in the ESPNU 150; four-star OLB Christian Jones (Oviedo, Fla./Lake Howell), who's No. 27 in the ESPNU 150; and four-star RB Lache Seastrunk (Temple, Texas/Texas), the No. 29 prospect in the ESPNU 150.

JMarkJohns
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Mike Riley would be the best higher. USC recruits itself, so bringing in a hell of a game coach makes a ton of sense. He develops players very well. Get a solid recruiting staff in place to surround him and that's a staff that keeps USC as the top team in the Pac and a top-10 team yearly with several top-5/3 seasons in a decade-type span.

symple19
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Riley signed an extension last night, so that won't be an option.

I do agree that the USC name recruits itself, and they'll never have any problem recruiting the west coast. But Carroll, IMO, is the chief reason the name "USC" resonates with kids from Florida to Ohio to Texas to Illinois. That's why I think it's so important for SC to do well next year, to prove to kids around the country that the winning ways haven't changed. I really think it could go either way, depending on who they hire and how they play next year.

lebomb
01-11-2010, 01:54 PM
LEACH to USC!!!! :hat

symple19
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
LEACH to USC!!!! :hat

That would be epic. I can see Leach riding onto the field on top of traveller for the first home game...With a knife clenched between his teeth :lol

JMarkJohns
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm shocked Rliey would sign an extension with USC on the table looking to interview him. That's a gig you don't turn down. Very surprised.

symple19
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm shocked Rliey would sign an extension with USC on the table looking to interview him. That's a gig you don't turn down. Very surprised.

The only factor I can imagine would be the looming sanctions. I suppose the LA limelight may be a turnoff to some coaches as well. Bet the Beavs are happy

IronMexican
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I like Harbaugh the most, but don't like the possibilities of him going to the NFL at the end of every season. Del Rio and Fisher sound the best to me.

Blake
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Unless you know the NCAA is coming to LA very soon.... with sanctions most likely coming them.

symple19
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I like Harbaugh the most, but don't like the possibilities of him going to the NFL at the end of every season. Del Rio and Fisher sound the best to me.

With ya on that IM. Del Rio sounds better the more I think about it. He's done a helluva job in Jacksonville, despite that being such a shitty organization. His name and NFL pedigree would certainly allow him to continue to recruit effectively, and he'd be comfortable around the media/bright lights of LA.

I'd be really surprised if Fisher left the Titans. Looks like they're going to be back to winning next year with the development of VY, so I think he stays in Tenn.

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Considering he went to Oregon state, I would have been a little surprised if he took the job. But I am shocked, at least it appears, he won't even interview or consider.

Of the candidates mentioned, I'm all for del Rio...and he is an alumn.

I love the idea of harbaugh, but as I said before, his future is the nfl.

Oh, one more thing. Those who keep talking about ncaa sanctions...nobody has any clue what's going to happen. It's the ncaa. You make a decision outside of that. Imo, a slap on the wrist is all she wrote.

samikeyp
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Considering he went to Oregon state, I would have been a little surprised if he took the job. But I am shocked, at least it appears, he won't even interview or consider.

Oh, one more thing. Those who keep talking about ncaa sanctions...nobody has any clue what's going to happen. It's the ncaa. You make a decision outside of that. Imo, a slap on the wrist is all she wrote.

So you don't think that there is any way possible they are going to get hammered and that is why Carroll is getting out?

symple19
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Carroll has had far better NFL job offers in the past, why now if it isn't the looming sanctions?

NCAA works in mysterious ways, so I suppose I could see USC getting off lightly. Is the Bush fiasco the only thing under consideration, or are there other alleged violations JGW?

samikeyp
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
This can't help...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/11/usc.watson/index.html?eref=sihp

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Carroll has had far better NFL job offers in the past, why now if it isn't the looming sanctions?

NCAA works in mysterious ways, so I suppose I could see USC getting off lightly. Is the Bush fiasco the only thing under consideration, or are there other alleged violations JGW?

First, Carroll hasn't had far better offers. This, by his criteria, is the best offer he's had. It just is.

The ncaa is taking into consideration, far as I know, bush, mayo and mcknight. So there's a lot to consider...but what can you tie to usc and what type of fault does the school hold? I agree its some, but it shouldn't be too serious.

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
This can't help...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/11/usc.watson/index.html?eref=sihp

Read it. Though, I don't think its that troubling. Appears, Pete was trying to work with him and when it just didn't work he let him go without dragging his name in the mud too much, so to speak. Not to mention, I'm sure those aren't all the facts, for instance Pete's side. Besides, in todays world of second chances, its not good pr to fire someone right after they confide a drug problem.

samikeyp
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Read it. Though, I don't think its that troubling. Appears, Pete was trying to work with him and when it just didn't work he let him go without dragging his name in the mud too much, so to speak. Not to mention, I'm sure those aren't all the facts, for instance Pete's side. Besides, in todays world of second chances, its not good pr to fire someone right after they confide a drug problem.

Even though there might have been no wrong doing...there is already speculation around Carroll's leaving...this will add to it. Carroll may be innocent but all people especially the media will see is something else in the news at USC...I am not saying anything wrong was done by Carroll but any potenially bad PR will not help that speculation. Its not fair but its reality.

DMX7
01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
USC football is not in trouble. They started the Reggie Bush investigation years ago and so far they've come down real hard... :rolleyes

The Gemini Method
01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I would've liked to have Riley, but this is an old song that was played out in 2001 as well. Mike Riley was rumored to be the successor (along with Jeff Tedford) of Paul Hackett and we all know what happened there. It would have to be someone that carries weight. In my opinion, it better be someone that can teach you what it is to be successful in the NFL or, at the very least prepare you for the possibility of the NFL. I don't know why Carroll left, but as an alum--I am pretty disappointed he'd bail on his supposed "dream job."

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I would've liked to have Riley, but this is an old song that was played out in 2001 as well. Mike Riley was rumored to be the successor (along with Jeff Tedford) of Paul Hackett and we all know what happened there. It would have to be someone that carries weight. In my opinion, it better be someone that can teach you what it is to be successful in the NFL or, at the very least prepare you for the possibility of the NFL. I don't know why Carroll left, but as an alum--I am pretty disappointed he'd bail on his supposed "dream job."

So, are you good with Del Rio?

j-6
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
It's not a sexy pick by any means, but what about Pat Hill in Fresno?

IronMexican
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Jack Del Rio as the new head coach, bringing Kennedy Pola and Norm Chow with him (no word on Orgeron). And perhaps the bigger story, Garrett to be replaced by Rich McKay, son of USC coaching legend John McKay.

http://www.trojanwire.com/football/rumormongering-the-new-regime-will-include-a-new-ad.php

Hope it's legit.

tlongII
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Actually Riley played for Bear Bryant at Alabama. He grew up in Corvallis though and his dad was an assistant coach for the Beavs. I think SC is going to be a tough gig for whomever goes there. You've got the possibility of NCAA sanctions and you would be following a legend in Pete Carroll. You would have to win big right away or you will be feeling a lot of heat.

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info tlong, I didn't know that. Couple guys told me he went to osu and I never bothered to check.

Anyway, if we got del Rio and the group mentioned along with mckay...wow!

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't like Del Rio, but it isn't my choice. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be one of Carroll's former disciples, but theni wouldn't be surprised if it were some big name. I guess we won't know for a while...I don't want a spread offense now that I think about it...

JamStone
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
It would be funny if Nick Saban went to SC. Not that it would happen, but his reputation as a bailer would make it not completely shocking despite just winning a title. He'd actually be the type who could succeed Carroll well since he has the personality for the job and is one of the best recruiters as well. Of course it won't happen though.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't like Del Rio, but it isn't my choice. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be one of Carroll's former disciples, but theni wouldn't be surprised if it were some big name. I guess we won't know for a while...I don't want a spread offense now that I think about it...

I'd like to avoid the spread as well.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
It would be funny if Nick Saban went to SC. Not that it would happen, but his reputation as a bailer would make it not completely shocking despite just winning a title. He'd actually be the type who could succeed Carroll well since he has the personality for the job and is one of the best recruiters as well. Of course it won't happen though.

I think Nick Saban, for the most part, has found his Nirvana. I don't think he'll leave Alabama unless it'll be an upward move again. However, we all saw what happened to him in Miami and I don't think his ego (nor reputation) would allow him to fail like that again. I wouldn't, however, be surprised if he does bail once more, but to where? I think he feels most successful in the South, so he'd probably take over Tennessee if Lane Kiffin bolts to take over USC...no, not South Carolina...

lebomb
01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I think Nick Saban, for the most part, has found his Nirvana. I don't think he'll leave Alabama unless it'll be an upward move again. However, we all saw what happened to him in Miami and I don't think his ego (nor reputation) would allow him to fail like that again. I wouldn't, however, be surprised if he does bail once more, but to where? I think he feels most successful in the South, so he'd probably take over Tennessee if Lane Kiffin bolts to take over USC...no, not South Carolina...

Ummmmm.......how is going to Tennessee an upgrade from Alabama?

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Ummmmm.......how is going to Tennessee an upgrade from Alabama?

It was a sarcastic remark...

lebomb
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
It was a sarcastic remark...

:lmao ............. OK, ya got me. I was gonna say. :nope

TFloss32
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Scratch Jack Del Rio. In addition to SI, ESPN also reported he will remain with the Jags.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/12/del.rio.stays/index.html

Adam Schefter of ESPN mentioned that Steve Mariucci is now in the mix.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Scratch Jack Del Rio. In addition to SI, ESPN also reported he will remain with the Jags.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/12/del.rio.stays/index.html

Adam Schefter of ESPN mentioned that Steve Mariucci is now in the mix.

Right. But what I don't understand, is timing. Why was USC in such a hurry, when they knew Del Rio would be leaving 15 million on the table! That wasn't smart...wait to see if he'll get fired or whatever will make the change possible. USC is as good as any job in the country, but we are allowing ourselves to be treated as if it isn't. I'm not surprised Riley and whatever Pac 10 coaches turned it down (sark), beating USC is their main focus and there's a certain measure of resentment to boot.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
The spot needs to be filled quickly, but not at the expense of a quality coach.

...though, I hope its over soon.

JamStone
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Right. But what I don't understand, is timing. Why was USC in such a hurry, when they knew Del Rio would be leaving 15 million on the table! That wasn't smart...wait to see if he'll get fired or whatever will make the change possible. USC is as good as any job in the country, but we are allowing ourselves to be treated as if it isn't. I'm not surprised Riley and whatever Pac 10 coaches turned it down (sark), beating USC is their main focus and there's a certain measure of resentment to boot.

Was. I won't just randomly bash USC without reason. But you can all but guarantee that there are NCAA sanctions on the way and other PR nightmares for the next head coach to have to deal with. You already have several possible de-commits.

The USC job still has a lot of glamor and appeal but you'd be kidding yourself to think it's as good as any job in the country with the circumstances it's going through right now and likely in the near future. Right now, several SEC head coaching spots would be better jobs if they were open. If it were between Florida and USC, I think most top coaching candidates would choose Florida.

Because of what may be on the horizon for SC, it's not as good as any job in the country at the moment. It's not. Without the possible trouble, it absolutely is, perhaps the best job in the country. With the possible trouble, it just ain't.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, that's one coach I didn't want to see leading USC onto the field off the list. While I think the talk of possible sanctions is not without merit, I wouldn't quite call it a done deal. All you're hearing is the same old..."Wait, it's coming...I promise rhetoric." Yet, year after year nothing substantial docks the Trojan football program. However, I have a feeling that if USC falls back to mediocrity next year and doesn't have the spotlight, you'll more than likely cease to hear it being an issue.

TFloss32
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Well, that's one coach I didn't want to see leading USC onto the field off the list. While I think the talk of possible sanctions is not without merit, I wouldn't quite call it a done deal. All you're hearing is the same old..."Wait, it's coming...I promise rhetoric." Yet, year after year nothing substantial docks the Trojan football program. However, I have a feeling that if USC falls back to mediocrity next year and doesn't have the spotlight, you'll more than likely cease to hear it being an issue.

Very well put and I agree with you that the NCAA is probably not going to bring the hammer down on USC as hard as many would hope (if at all). However, regardless if these sanctions come to fruition, there's no denying that this situation is the reason Carroll left and why many aren't lining up for this job. I think there are a lot of "feelers" out there and many are trying to size up what they may be in for. It's difficult for me to comprehend that there aren't any "sexy" names in the mix for this job (at least those that are publicly mentioned) and I have to believe it's because trouble is lurking around the corner or coaches simply don't want to wait around until USC realizes its' fate. Time is money.

symple19
01-12-2010, 06:23 PM
The NCAA almost always takes years to complete their investigations. A long passage of time does not equal no sanctions

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
The NCAA almost always takes years to complete their investigations. A long passage of time does not equal no sanctions

Nor does it equal sanctions. If you look at the Alabama sanctions dealing with Antonio Langham (he was found to have signed with an agent before completion of his time playing for the Crimson Tide), the team was forced to forfeit games in which he played (1993) by the completion of their bowl game in 1994. Even the recruiting violations from Alabama were punished within a 3-year span. What about that school's textbook scandal? That was meted out with punishment within a year. While not a sanction per se, it really does seem to matter how long sanctions do take based on the belief that if you don't have a strong enough case, you take longer to come forth.

While I'm not entirely saying there won't be sanctions, I'm just curious as to why are they taking in excess of 6 years to level them? I mean in the Bush situation--which will be the biggest of the allegations if proven...if it is a solid case why hasn't anything ever been progressed? However, whatever the case may be--the program will be under even more tighter scrutiny whomever takes over the reigns.

JamStone
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Maybe you can compare this situation to Kentucky's basketball program when Eddie Sutton left with those NCAA violations. Kentucky was able to get Rick Pitino, but they also had to go through two seasons banned from post season play and a three year probation. Pitino was able to bring Kentucky back to prominence though. A big name coach who is up for the job has to be prepared for tough times for the first few seasons at least, and possibly more if problems hurt recruiting for several years. It doesn't mean USC can't find a great coach. But, they have to find one who is willing to go through that.

Mariucci was an interesting name to hear. He kind of strikes me as having the personality to do well in the college game, since a big part of it is recruiting and being a salesman to potential recruits and their families. Mariucci has the look and charismatic personality to do that well. And, Mariucci can flash his NFL experience to convince kids he can help them get to the NFL. That's a huge recruiting sales pitch. For college, if you can win the recruiting war, you're automatically going to be in position to be one of the better programs in the country. That's why Pete Carroll was so great.

symple19
01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Nor does it equal sanctions. If you look at the Alabama sanctions dealing with Antonio Langham (he was found to have signed with an agent before completion of his time playing for the Crimson Tide), the team was forced to forfeit games in which he played (1993) by the completion of their bowl game in 1994. Even the recruiting violations from Alabama were punished within a 3-year span. What about that school's textbook scandal? That was meted out with punishment within a year. While not a sanction per se, it really does seem to matter how long sanctions do take based on the belief that if you don't have a strong enough case, you take longer to come forth.

While I'm not entirely saying there won't be sanctions, I'm just curious as to why are they taking in excess of 6 years to level them? I mean in the Bush situation--which will be the biggest of the allegations if proven...if it is a solid case why hasn't anything ever been progressed? However, whatever the case may be--the program will be under even more tighter scrutiny whomever takes over the reigns.

Also true. All this really boils down to is that nobody knows, leaving us to speculate.

When Auburn got hit hard in 93' it took about two years for the NCAA process to play out. Over about 15 grand in improper payments and loans paid over the years 89-91, Auburn got hit with a two year bowl ban and a one year postseason ban. They also lost 13 scholarships over a 4 year period.

The Tigers responded to the sanctions in 93' by going undefeated that year and not losing until november 94'.

My point is that USC is in a much better position to weather the NCAA storm than Auburn or even Alabama was when they got hit. With the stockpiled talent, the next 3 or 4 years shouldn't be a problem, at least talent-wise. A solid choice as the HC will enable SC to endure whatever the NCAA throws at it. My guess is that the Trojans will come out okay regardless of the sanctions.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Very true, Symple...

However reading all these recruits hesitating to sign with us is troubling. Also, no coach is jumping at the bit to come to Heritage Hall. It is enough to make this alum feel a little uneasy. I mean, why am I contributing all this money to support a university if they don't give me a winning football team!! ! !!!. lol

symple19
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Very true, Symple...

However reading all these recruits hesitating to sign with us is troubling. Also, no coach is jumping at the bit to come to Heritage Hall. It is enough to make this alum feel a little uneasy. I mean, why am I contributing all this money to support a university if they don't give me a winning football team!! ! !!!. lol

I hear ya man, but you still picked up that 4* CB from Corona during the Army HS all-star game, Demetrius Wright. The class is small but loaded with 4 and 5 star kids who are holding to their commitments. I think it was going to be a smallish class all along, so other than Jeffcoat and that decommit (Prater) from Illinois I think you guys are still in good shape, considering the circumstances.

All any prospective coach needs to do is look at how good it can be on the other side of any possible sanctions(if it scares em'). There is no reason the Trojans can't continue to win. None.

I just hope USC does the school and alums such as yourself right by being thorough in it's search. All too often you see schools pull the trigger way too fast. Cough - Cough Notre Dame Cough

JamStone
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
It really can take time. From an example I'm more familiar with, Chris Webber and the Ed Martin scandal with the University of Michigan basketball program. Many of the charges occurred in the early 1990s to mid 90s. With Webber specifically, he was at Michigan from 1991-93. Federal indictments didn't happen until 1999. Sanctions (self-imposed) didn't occur until 2002-03. That's almost a 10 year span for all of it to play out.

It can take a long time. There are people that will be unwilling to talk. Investigations that go on for months at a time, then a quiet period, then more investigations. The legal paperwork and NCAA paperwork is also one of the redtape things that take a long, long time to process. The longer the process lasts, it doesn't mean the less likely there will be sanctions.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
It really can take time. From an example I'm more familiar with, Chris Webber and the Ed Martin scandal with the University of Michigan basketball program. Many of the charges occurred in the early 1990s to mid 90s. With Webber specifically, he was at Michigan from 1991-93. Federal indictments didn't happen until 1999. Sanctions (self-imposed) didn't occur until 2002-03. That's almost a 10 year span for all of it to play out.

It can take a long time. There are people that will be unwilling to talk. Investigations that go on for months at a time, then a quiet period, then more investigations. The legal paperwork and NCAA paperwork is also one of the redtape things that take a long, long time to process. The longer the process lasts, it doesn't mean the less likely there will be sanctions.

Yes, I remember that situation, too...

Different situation doesn't equate continuity--especially for the NCAA...

We'll all have the answers and whether or not something happens, well, that'll still need to happen.

But also there are sanctions that come to light in programs that shine to only go by the wayside. To punish USC would be to drive away quite a monetary gain that has been a legacy of Pete Carroll's stay here. ABC, ESPN, the NCAA have all been aided in the success of USC and the attention it has garnered for the PAC-10. To cripple the West Coast's premiere (reborn) college program in football, would be detrimental.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I hear ya man, but you still picked up that 4* CB from Corona during the Army HS all-star game, Demetrius Wright. The class is small but loaded with 4 and 5 star kids who are holding to their commitments. I think it was going to be a smallish class all along, so other than Jeffcoat and that decommit (Prater) from Illinois I think you guys are still in good shape, considering the circumstances.

All any prospective coach needs to do is look at how good it can be on the other side of any possible sanctions(if it scares em'). There is no reason the Trojans can't continue to win. None.

I just hope USC does the school and alums such as yourself right by being thorough in it's search. All too often you see schools pull the trigger way too fast. Cough - Cough Notre Dame Cough

I don't have much faith in Mike Garrett. As much as he is a hero to USC's past, he lucked out with Pete Carroll. I really don't have much hope for the right guy and that may change with time. It's hard to go from a guy who has lost a total of 19 games in almost 10 years! 2 (1 1/2 if you're anywhere outside of L.A.) NCs, 3 Heisman winners, and a restored pride in alot of people who were disappointed by the direction of this heralded program.

I don't care what anyone says. USC fans, if they're legit, are on par to anyone else in the country. Man, I am disappointed we're losing out on Jeffcoat and Prater though...that hurts.

symple19
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't have much faith in Mike Garrett. As much as he is a hero to USC's past, he lucked out with Pete Carroll. I really don't have much hope for the right guy and that may change with time. It's hard to go from a guy who has lost a total of 19 games in almost 10 years! 2 (1 1/2 if you're anywhere outside of L.A.) NCs, 3 Heisman winners, and a restored pride in alot of people who were disappointed by the direction of this heralded program.

What that program has achieved is amazing. I've had a healthy respect ever since the Trojans waltzed into Jordan-Hare and shut out Auburn like it wasn't shit. Carroll was always willing to go out and play the tough OOC games, which deserves even more respect. I remember the pre-Carroll era at USC, and if I recall properly, there wasn't much to be happy about in the years between Robinson and Carroll.

I don't care what anyone says. USC fans, if they're legit, are on par to anyone else in the country

I always find it interesting how a vast majority of USC fans are cool, knowledgeable, sports fans. When you compare them to other LA sports teams (Lakers especially, and to a lesser degree the Dodgers) it's a striking difference. Living up here in Nor-Cal, I run into a lot of SC grads and they're almost invariably cool people (in my experience). I had friends who were attending Auburn in 03' when you guys whooped us, and they said the same thing about SC fans who were travelling with the team.

Man, I am disappointed we're losing out on Jeffcoat and Prater though...that hurts.

Prater, to my knowledge, isn't a complete loss yet. He's just going to take some time and see what happens. A good coaching choice may save him.

Jeffcoat is probably a loss though.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Welcome Home, Lane...

gaKNOW!blee
01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I wouldve never expected Kiffin...

symple19
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
what? link?

NM, just found one.

The only nice thing I can say about Kiffin is that he's a good recruiter. After watching his antics in Oakland and then Tennessee, I would be deeply disappointed if I were an SC fan. Wow...just Wow

dirk4mvp
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
That was surprising. What Pac10 coach is he gonna spend shitting on all offseason?

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I confided with my girl--who is a LSU grad--that I thought Lane was better suited for SoCal and not the deep South...(she wants to go to Tulane for grad school...)

dirk4mvp
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
what? link?

It was an update during the Ohio St./Purdue Bball game.

symple19
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
The only nice thing I can say about Kiffin is that he's a good recruiter. After watching his antics in Oakland and then Tennessee, I would be deeply disappointed if I were an SC fan. Wow...just Wow

symple19
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Tennessee fan is probably melting down right now.

Auburn will almost surely start going after Vol recruits, as will every other SEC school. Lane had a great recruiting class going at Tenn, so this is a shocker.

Wonder if he'll bring Monte with him again?

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Monte is going with him supposedly...

symple19
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Monte is going with him supposedly...

good for the defense.

The 7-5 record Tennessee had this year was mostly the work of their defense. The offense, for which Lane was responsible, was shit. His game management also came into question all year, especially against Florida.

It doesn't surprise me that he left, but I can't wait to hear the reasoning. SEC media and fans (outside of Knoxville) gave him a very hard time, myself included. The guy has a huge mouth and is as smug as they come. He also made some slight recruiting gaffs but they were very minor and could be chalked up to being new to the college recruiting game (as a head coach).

I was also not impressed with him while he was here in the Bay Area. But being under AL can make people crazy. I dunno, this just seems awfully sudden.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Welcome Home, Lane...

Fabulous hire! Him and his dad...fucking beautiful. Yes!

...I'm ecstatic Gemini!

symple19
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Fabulous hire! Him and his dad...fucking beautiful. Yes!

...I'm ecstatic Gemini!

Curious, but why so happy JGW? Lane has proven nothing as a head coach other than he can recruit.

jag
01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Tennessee fan is probably melting down right now.

Auburn will almost surely start going after Vol recruits, as will every other SEC school. Lane had a great recruiting class going at Tenn, so this is a shocker.

Wonder if he'll bring Monte with him again?

I've just gotten off the phone with about 5 different people (UTK fans)...they're in complete shock. no one knows wtf to think right now :lol

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Familiarity and bringing in a NFL-type D is what excites me...

symple19
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Familiarity and bringing in a NFL-type D is what excites me...

Monte is the truth, but Lane...

symple19
01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I've just gotten off the phone with about 5 different people (UTK fans)...they're in complete shock. no one knows wtf to think right now :lol

I'm gonna roll over to an SEC board I post on and see what's up. There are some UTK folks over there in the know. I'll see what I can find out.

jag
01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm gonna roll over to an SEC board I post on and see what's up. There are some UTK folks over there in the know. I'll see what I can find out.

I live an hour and 45 min from Knox. Every single one of my friends are huge UTK fans...they're freakin out. A couple of them want Leach.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Curious, but why so happy JGW? Lane has proven nothing as a head coach other than he can recruit.

Recruiting, defense, familiarity, California guy, right attitude, young and I do think he's a good coach.

I like this hire a lot.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Ed Orgeron...too

jag
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Apparently UTK fans thought Lane was gonna be there for awhile. The guy named his son "Knox."

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Ed Orgeron...too

I think we were all kinda hoping that would happen, and thought it would.

...I'm loving this staff girl!

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Fuck yeah. I've always been a big Kiffin fan.

dirk4mvp
01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Ed Orgeron...too

lol, Orgeron

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:27 PM

High five brother...

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
High five brother...

*slap*

If Harbaugh weren't NFL bound, he was my #1 choice. I would still take him over Kiffin if the NFL weren't a possibility. I never even thought Kiffin was an option. This is awesome possum.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
*slap*

If Harbaugh weren't NFL bound, he was my #1 choice. I would still take him over Kiffin if the NFL weren't a possibility. I never even thought Kiffin was an option. This is awesome possum.

I would have loved harbaugh, but, yes, he'd be gone in 2 or 3 years to the nfl most likely. So this is great...

symple19
01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I live an hour and 45 min from Knox. Every single one of my friends are huge UTK fans...they're freakin out. A couple of them want Leach.

I'm hearing Leach/Gruden/Patterson/Muschamp/Harbaugh - Didn't see any of the good UTK sources over at the SEC board, but I think there's a news conference very soon. We may find more out then.

A lot of Tenn fans seem to be relieved, except for recruiting. I also just read that SEC coaches have been giving him the cold shoulder, and won't talk to him unless they have to.

Wasn't Kiffin at USC when the supposed violations went down in the first place??

This stinks for Tenn, although I think it'll be good for them in the long run. Yet another coach bailing, and this right after early signers start showing up at school and can't back out of their commitment. This is another reason for me to dislike the guy.

symple19
01-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Really? What did you think of his time with the Raiders?

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:42 PM

I thought he did a good job with what he had, they got better, imo. Even though it didn't always show up in the win column. They were more competitive under kiffin than they had been.

monosylab1k
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Great pickup by USC :tu I'm a big fan of Kiffin and think he will be an extremely good head coach for the next 30 years in college and the NFL. It was obvious he had the Raiders in the right direction before the Crypt Keeper fired him, and it is obvious he had Tennessee headed in the right direction.

USC will have very little dropoff, mainly because I doubt the Reggie Bush shitstorm will create much of a problem as far as sanctions go. After what happened to SMU, the NCAA will never give a team the death penalty or anything close to it ever again.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Aloha Westwood, welcome back Norm Chow...

monosylab1k
01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Honestly, USC's future is looking brighter than it did with Carroll.

JamStone
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Interesting hire. Lane also had possible violations at Tennessee so I guess if he's going to have to deal with it regardless, might as well be where he's going to feel more comfortable and at home.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Honestly, USC's future is looking brighter than it did with Carroll.

It's like an all star cast...I'm blown away. Fuck...yeah.

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 10:00 PM

What did he do wrong? The Raiders had next to no talent in 2007.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
5 years of hoping, Jam. Worry about Rich Rodriguez. We'll deal with Lane. ;).

symple19
I thought he did a good job with what he had, they got better, imo. Even though it didn't always show up in the win column. They were more competitive under kiffin than they had been.

But they were still horrible, and Lane blamed everything on everybody else. I understand he was a part of the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL, but there was never any accountability during his regime.

Point is, big messes and turmoil have followed this guy since he left USC. He's now burned both head coaching bridges behind him. Maybe he's learned something from all this, I dunno. But I doubt it.

Definitely a good thing for recruiting. Prater will probably stay now. They're probably back in it for Jeffcoat too.

Monte will turn that defense into something special. He did some amazing things this year with an understaffed defense at UTK.

Lane will probably be okay since he has such a strong staff around him. But the guy has got to learn use his mouth sparingly.

IronMexican
USC is really looking good, I agree.

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I might have to change my pants after thinking about today.

tlongII
01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Interesting hire. He's a cheater so I guess he fits USC's culture.

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Cool. I hear Prater is enrolling Monday.

symple19
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting hire. He's a cheater so I guess he fits USC's culture.

Some UTK fans are mumbling that he may of left because of possible recruiting violations. Probably rumors

symple19
01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Cool. I hear Prater is enrolling Monday.

he was originally supposed to yesterday, has that changed to next week?

monosylab1k
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
But they were still horrible, and Lane blamed everything on everybody else. I understand he was a part of the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL, but there was never any accountability during his regime.

It's hard to be held accountable when some senile 80-something guy is calling all the shots and forcing your hand with every decision.

From what I saw, Kiffin did the best he could with what he had, he did the best he could considering who his boss was, and the Raiders were making improvements the entire time he was there.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
You can keep your Brad Childress lookin' Mike Riley...we'll take Kiffin and Chow.

Blake
01-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Point is, big messes and turmoil have followed this guy since he left USC. He's now burned both head coaching bridges behind him. Maybe he's learned something from all this, I dunno. But I doubt it.

Definitely a good thing for recruiting. Prater will probably stay now. They're probably back in it for Jeffcoat too.

Monte will turn that defense into something special. He did some amazing things this year with an understaffed defense at UTK.

Lane will probably be okay since he has such a strong staff around him. But the guy has got to learn use his mouth sparingly.

Based on his short stint at Tennessee, I doubt it.

Getting Chow back is the bigger hire for USC.

symple19
01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Getting Chow back is the bigger hire for USC.

I agree. It means Lane won't be calling plays, and that's a good thing.

That staff is very, very good. Chow running the O and Monte running the D is a formidable combo.

symple19
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, according to some Vol fans on the SEC board, there are 200 students outside the Tenn athletic center chanting "Fuck You Kiffin" right now.

JamStone
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
5 years of hoping, Jam. Worry about Rich Rodriguez. We'll deal with Lane. ;).

Wow touchy. Just expressing an opinion man. I wasn't even bashing.

But it's cool.

symple19
01-12-2010, 10:57 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Rumors, but I'm hearing cops have broken out the tear gas in Knoxville. Apparently Vol students either are rioting or are close to it. :lol:lol

PGDynasty24
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
This awesome. Norm Chau as our OC and Monte as Defensive. Lane Kiffin knows what to expect down here in LA so this is a great fit

dirk4mvp
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Rumors, but I'm hearing cops have broken out the tear gas in Knoxville. Apparently Vol students either are rioting or are close to it. :lol:lol

:rollin

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Even funnier, there are reports that drunken students actually chased his car as it drove away

Blake
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, according to some Vol fans on the SEC board, there are 200 students outside the Tenn athletic center chanting "Fuck You Kiffin" right now.

only 200?

Will Hunting
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Wow. Not only Kiffin but a stacked ass coaching staff. Well done USC.

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
if you wanna read some funny shit, check out this guy on twitter. He's apparently filming the riots and is tweeting what's going down. @swiperboy (he's a UTK bballer)

This shit is too good.

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
only 200?

supposedly way more than that now.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Wow touchy. Just expressing an opinion man. I wasn't even bashing.

But it's cool.

sure you weren't bashing...nor was I being serious, Jam. I'm just retorting your sanction talk. You're one of the few posters on here I'd share a drink with, man. Probably one of the better posters I read on here. I'm wondering how is RR being received up there in Ann Arbor? Will Forcier be better next year?

I'm excited about Norm possibly coming back...fuck UCLA

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm excited about Norm possibly coming back...fuck UCLA

That is such a beautiful bitch slap.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
never saw this coming

lol now that its happened it makes perfect sense
should have seen this one a mile away

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 11:25 PM
That is such a beautiful bitch slap.

I have bombarded my UCLA friends with texts...I think they could be enemies now lol.

johngateswhiteley
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I have bombarded my UCLA friends with texts...I think they could be enemies now lol.

Perfect.

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Seems to me this was in the works a bit longer than anyone will let on. To orchestrate the Chow move anyway.

UTK players got up and left the presser before it was finished.

I really feel bad for the early enrollment kids. They just inked yesterday and have no way to back out now.

romad_20
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I feel bad for the kids who got duped, but fuck Tennessee. Couldn't happen to a nicer school. :lol:lol:downspin::rollin

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
lolololololololololololololololololololol This is what meltdown looks like. ROFLx99999999

aYAsxnRaTAg

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm also reading that Orgeron texted UT commits about following to USC...Classy

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
And this is priceless. Supposedly Urban Meyer getting the news.

http://i47.tinypic.com/148ksw1.gif

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Uh, that sounds like rumors because isn't it illegal to do?

symple19
01-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Uh, that sounds like rumors because isn't it illegal to do?

What are you referencing?

symple19
01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
NM, gotcha --- Yeah, definitely rumors.

I'm not sure if it's illegal or not, TBH

symple19
01-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Ahhhhhh! The world is over! Our football coach bailed!!! Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ROFL

_zKkcfq3gec

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Kinda interesting takes on the Kiffin hiring on the WeAreSC board. A ton of mixed emotions going through the alumni base on the hiring of Lane. I mean, I am skeptical that we can have the same level of success with Kiffin as PC, but the Trojans had to act quickly as the committed were eying other programs as potential places to switch alliances with. What I do hope is that we pay enough for Norm Chow to come back That'll definitely solidify the attraction for premier QBs looking to obtain the know-how to be NFL ready. The D will definitely be better under the tutelage of Monte Kiffin and Orgeron will bring a recruiting swagger missing since he left for Ole Miss. I do, however, hope that Kiffin learns he doesn't need to talk out of his ass now that he isn't amongst the Good ol Boy network of the SEC.

dirk4mvp
01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
symple sounds excited.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Symple is more excited than I am--and I went to the freakin' school.

dirk4mvp
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think he was a fan of 'Lame Kitten' in the SEC and is probably glad to have him out of the conference.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't think he was a fan of 'Lame Kitten' in the SEC and is probably glad to have him out of the conference.

Probably so...It also must pain him to realize Alabama is back on top. That has to be a bigger issue to him than, Kiffin. Bammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer, We're in Heaven Alabama?

symple19
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Probably so...It also must pain him to realize Alabama is back on top. That has to be a bigger issue to him than, Kiffin. Bammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer, We're in Heaven Alabama?

It does. no doubt.

I'm comfortable w/ Chizik leading the team in the right direction, but Alabama winning both the NCG and the heisman makes me nauseous and angry.

I definitely don't like Kiffin, and was hoping I'd see a sane decision from a school regarding it's head coach for a change. I think TT got it right, and although I intensely dislike Kiffin, at least that staff will keep him from wrecking the USC program...I think.

A lot of my excitement stems from me hating life now that CFB is over. And I was kinda bored last night...LOL

But this has been a pretty crazy offseason thus far concerning coaching changes, has it not?

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Coaches locking players in utility closets, Coaches bit$# slappin' players, Coaches taking over moribund NFL franchises, Coaches (getting fired) who got high profile jobs because they coached with the Cheatriots, Coaches breaking the hearts of a Rocky Top Nation, Colt McCoy chickening out (and...if he's getting married; how is that possible? Same-sex marriage is not legal in TX, is it?), Coaches retiring because they think they're dying only to return as a consultant and then back to coaching...

Yeah, it's been a ho-hum period for NCAA coaches...

symple19
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Coaches locking players in utility closets, Coaches bit$# slappin' players, Coaches taking over moribund NFL franchises, Coaches who got high profile jobs because they coached with the Cheatriots, Coaches breaking the hearts of a Rocky Top Nation, Colt McCoy chickening out (and...if he's getting married; how is that possible? Same-sex marriage is not legal in TX, isn't it?), Coaches retiring because they think they're dying only to return as a consultant and then back to coaching...

Yeah, it's been a ho-hum period for NCAA coaches...

:lol

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
So, what's the verdict on Chizik? Is he the guy to lead Auburn back to contender in the SEC West?

symple19
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
So, what's the verdict on Chizik? Is he the guy to lead Auburn back to contender in the SEC West?

At first I was irate that they hired him, but I've done a 180. I had fond memories of his stint w/ AU as DC, he coached the 04' defense that should've had a shot against your Trojans, but his record at Iowa State was bad and he looked like one of those, "only good as a coordinator" type guys (to me). (ISU had a winning record and a bowl win this year, validating his hard work and recruiting prowess while there)

But once he put his excellent staff together and got to work, he proved to be a competent guy. Rivals has AU top 5 in recruiting right now, and he's been an above average gameday coach. His style is fiery on the field, humble and soft-spoken off of it. I like that combination. He really lets his assistants do their thing, and is always quick to divert the spotlight onto his staff and players. It would also seem to me that he's not using this job as a stepping stone, but I've learned to expect the unexpected when it comes to coaching changes. :lol

So, considering he led Auburn to a better than expected record and won his bowl game, I'd answer with a tentative 'yes'. He's even won some in-state recruiting battles w/ Satan, something Tuberville had all but given up on doing.

Now that you've had a bit more time to let things soak in, what are you and fellow alums thinking? I was reading the LA times and Plaschke really let em' (Kiffin/USC/Garrett) have it. The poll they had also looked pretty evenly divided.

Bay area papers up here where I am are playing the Raiders angle, how Al must be about to explode considering the only thing he loves more than the Raiders is USC.:lol If it weren't for Davis, Kiffin wouldn't have had either the UTK job or the USC job.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
With how long the process could've been and perspective hires dwindling with the star power that would've kept "commitments" home, I would say that it was a good hire. What made this hire acceptable to me and a few of my fellow alums, was the return of Orgeron and the fact that Monte Kiffin was in tow. Now, if the rumor that Chow materializes--it solidifies the choice as something worthwhile. Will it translate to the same success that Pete Carroll had? I don't know. I don't know if there will ever be that huge of a run @ USC again. I mean, it was a hell of a time being in Exposition Park when things were going down. I'd pass the likes of Leinart, Bush, Cody, and LenDale and it was if we passed superstars in the personable element of regular students. Does Kiffin have what it takes to get these types of players? On his own...no, but Orgeron was the key factor to those type of players coming to USC. That is why Ed, Kiffin, and Chow are the deal breakers for me.

I asked my ex-gf who I met @ USC what she felt and she seems to be on the opposite. She didn't like Carroll leaving (who did?), but didn't want Kiffin. She'd prefer Sarkisian to Lane because he is more refined. I would've supported him, too, like I support Kiffin. However, he has a very short leash with me. If he isn't taking us bowling (preferably BCS) within the next 2 years, I'll start to get annoyed and shorten my support. He also needs to conduct himself differently than he did while roaming the Neyland Stadium sideline. Tennessee has passionate fans as we all know...but don't discredit the visceral nature of USC fans who will fast call for your head if you do not deliver.

I don't like Al Davis. He is a scourge on a once-proud franchise and I will never like him until the day he leaves this Earth or relenquish his control of the Raiders. I wouldn't harbor such disdain for the Raiders if it weren't for his antics and lack of knowhow in these modern times. Yeah, his team made it to the Super Bowl, but even that was an exception. He took away NFL football in L.A., and even if I wasn't going to root for the Raiders, and I most certainly wouldn't have, I feel he's one of the many culprits to blame for L.A. being NFL-less. So fuck Al Davis and his jumpsuit get-ups.

symple19
01-13-2010, 05:37 PM
With how long the process could've been and perspective hires dwindling with the star power that would've kept "commitments" home, I would say that it was a good hire. What made this hire acceptable to me and a few of my fellow alums, was the return of Orgeron and the fact that Monte Kiffin was in tow. Now, if the rumor that Chow materializes--it solidifies the choice as something worthwhile. Will it translate to the same success that Pete Carroll had? I don't know. I don't know if there will ever be that huge of a run @ USC again. I mean, it was a hell of a time being in Exposition Park when things were going down. I'd pass the likes of Leinart, Bush, Cody, and LenDale and it was if we passed superstars in the personable element of regular students. Does Kiffin have what it takes to get these types of players? On his own...no, but Orgeron was the key factor to those type of players coming to USC. That is why Ed, Kiffin, and Chow are the deal breakers for me.

Makes sense. I thought Chow and Kiffin didn't get along after Lane took over the OC duties at SC. Would be surprised if that materializes. If Norm stays at UCLA, then Lane and co will have a big advantage going forward due to knowing Norms schemes. I think it's a win/win, whether he joins USC or not. (Not that UCLA is really even a threat at present to the Trojans) Orgeron and Monte are more important than Chow is, IMO.

I asked my ex-gf who I met @ USC what she felt and she seems to be on the opposite. She didn't like Carroll leaving (who did?), but didn't want Kiffin. She'd prefer Sarkisian to Lane because he is more refined. I would've supported him, too, like I support Kiffin. However, he has a very short leash with me. If he isn't taking us bowling (preferably BCS) within the next 2 years, I'll start to get annoyed and shorten my support. He also needs to conduct himself differently than he did while roaming the Neyland Stadium sideline. Tennessee has passionate fans as we all know...but don't discredit the visceral nature of USC fans who will fast call for your head if you do not deliver.

I have no doubt of this. I also have no doubt that USC students/fans have enough class not to take to the streets and act like jackasses when something drastic happens. UTK students should be embarrassed about that behavior. I laughed heartily at the images of those kids going berserk.

I don't like Al Davis. He is a scourge on a once-proud franchise and I will never like him until the day he leaves this Earth or relenquish his control of the Raiders. I wouldn't harbor such disdain for the Raiders if it weren't for his antics and lack of knowhow in these modern times. Yeah, his team made it to the Super Bowl, but even that was an exception. He took away NFL football in L.A., and even if I wasn't going to root for the Raiders, and I most certainly wouldn't have, I feel he's one of the many culprits to blame for L.A. being NFL-less. So fuck Al Davis and his jumpsuit get-ups.

Davis leaves a trail of shit wherever he goes. I'm a Niner fan, but I don't hate the Raiders(Cowboys get all my hate). I just hate Al. He's bad for the Raiders, he's bad for the NFL, he's bad for California, and he's bad for my beloved Bay area. I'm convinced though that they just plug him into the wall at night and he'll never die.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I think I'll be glad when Spring Practice starts and all this talk will have died down by then. If he isn't successful, then I'll be disappointed and I'm sure Kiffin will be hard-pressed to find another job if he falls.

misterx91578
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Report: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss paid Lane Kiffin's UT contract buyout ($800,000) http://bit.ly/8RQmvk

symple19
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Report: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss paid Lane Kiffin's UT contract buyout ($800,000) http://bit.ly/8RQmvk

interesting stuff

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Wow Buss must've hit a jackpot at the Hustler Casino...

IronMexican
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Buss is da ma

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
We know who runs this town...and it ain't Mayor V. either...

MajorMike
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Al