PDA

View Full Version : NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

Pages : [1] 2

mrsmaalox
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_en_tv/us_nbc_leno;_ylt=Aly7tPPQuhhRePdhpaKPlHVxFb8C;_ylu =X3oDMTJjZ3QzbXBsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTExL3VzX25iY 19sZW5vBGNwb3MDMgRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHN sawNuYmNlbmRpbmdsZW4-

PASADENA, Calif. – NBC said Sunday it decided to pull the plug on the Jay Leno experiment when some affiliate stations considered dropping the nightly prime-time show, and the network is waiting to hear if Leno and "Tonight" host Conan O'Brien accept its new late-night TV plans.

"The Jay Leno Show," which airs at 10 p.m. EST, will end with the Feb. 12 beginning of the Winter Olympics, said NBC Universal Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin. Leno would return to his former 11:35 p.m. slot after the Olympics ended under the network's new plan, which also calls for O'Brien to retain his job with "Tonight" but at the later hour of 12:05 a.m. EST.

Jimmy Fallon and his "Late Night" would be pushed a half-hour later as well, to 1:05 a.m. EST.

"My goal is to keep Jay, Conan and Jimmy as our late-night lineup," Gaspin said, adding later that they "have the weekend to think about it" and discussions with them will resume Monday.

NBC had moved Leno to prime-time last year in order to keep him from leaving the company and keep a promise it had made to give O'Brien the "Tonight" show. The change was one of the most dramatic in prime-time television in a generation. It was also a roll of the dice at a time NBC was suffering in prime-time. It didn't even last six months.

Gaspin said the new proposal gives Leno what's important to him — telling jokes at a later hour — and O'Brien his top priority, retaining "Tonight."

"I hope and expect that before the Olympics begin, we'll have everything set. I can't imagine we won't have everything in place before then," Gaspin told a meeting of the Television Critics Association.

Gaspin said that despite lower ratings for NBC at 10 p.m. compared to last year, the network was making money off the show.

But affiliates were upset that it was leading fewer viewers into their late news programs, costing them significant advertising revenue. Some affiliates told NBC in December they would go public soon about their complaints if a change wasn't made, or even take Leno's show off the air.

Gaspin said about one-third of the affiliates were really hurt by the Leno show, although he wasn't clear on how many said they might pre-empt his show.

"I asked them (the affiliates) how many are they talking about, because I could have lived with one or two. But I got the sense that it was more than one or two," he said.

Michael Fiorile, chairman of the NBC Affiliate Board, said it was a great move for NBC stations, the networks and viewers.

"We admire their willingness to innovate, and their willingness to change course when it didn't work for us," Fiorile said.

Gaspin said he pondered combinations of possible schedule changes before the holidays and then called his boss, NBC Universal chief executive Jeff Zucker, for approval to act.

"I don't want to wait anymore. Now is the time," Gaspin recounted telling Zucker.

Both Leno and O'Brien made comedic hay out of the issue last week. Leno joked in his monologue that NBC was working on a solution in which all parties would be treated unfairly, while O'Brien wisecracked that he and Leno would be thrown by the network into a pit to fight and "the one that crawls out gets to leave NBC."

Gaspin said he's "perfectly fine" with their on-air remarks "if that's how they blow off steam and that's how they're comfortable."

NBC's "Saturday Night Live" and its "Weekend Update" with Seth Meyers also got into the act.

"It was reported Thursday that in the wake of poor ratings for `The Jay Leno Show,' NBC will move his show back to the 11:35 time slot, and then start Conan O'Brien's `Tonight Show' at midnight — though it's a little weird to start the `Tonight Show' at a time when it's no longer tonight," Meyers said Saturday.

Asked if O'Brien and Fallon expressed anger at his proposal, Gaspin said both men were professional and understanding when they talked. "Beyond that, it was a private conversation," Gaspin said.

O'Brien reportedly has a contract that guarantees him a multimillion-dollar payment if "Tonight" is moved later than 12:05 a.m. EST.

But Gaspin, asked if a contractual penalty weighed into the decision to bump O'Brien's show a half-hour rather than a full hour, replied, "No, not at all."

As for reports that Fox may be considering courting O'Brien for a late-night program, Gaspin repeated his desire to keep him, Leno and Fallon at NBC.

The decision to shift Leno will leave a gaping hole in NBC's prime-time schedule, at a time the network is already struggling. A mix of reality programming, "Dateline NBC" and at least two hours of scripted shows will be added to fill in the five hours taken up by Leno's prime-time show each week.

Looking ahead to the 2010-11 season, NBC announced seven drama pilots under development, including an updated version of "The Rockford Files" from "House" executive producer David Shore; "Undercovers," a husband-wife spy drama from producer J.J. Abrams ("Lost") and "Prime Suspect," based on the BBC series about a female detective.

The network's heavy development slate is a reversal of its most recent approach of attempting to make series without pilots.
-----------------------------------------------------

No real surprise here. Did anyone watch this? I just saw the one with Kanye West, but I have never been a Leno fan.

JudynTX
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Good riddance!

EmptyMan
01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Team Conan!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Good riddance!

+1

fly away like...........................................an eagle :lmao

fraga
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
LAME...Leno is old and not funny anymore...Conan is the shit...long live CoCo...

JudynTX
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
+1

fly away like...........................................an eagle :lmao

Oh, now did you really need to go there? :ihit I'm still hurting. :(

Anyway, Jay Leno needs to go away...............:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh, now did you really need to go there? :ihit I'm still hurting. :(

yes and good. :D

CubanMustGo
01-11-2010, 11:56 AM
They need to lose Jawman, not put him back on at 10:35 kicking Conan to the curb. If they do that I hope Conan tells NBC to stuff it and takes his show to FOX.

BacktoBasics
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
They'll never get rid of this idiot.

symple19
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Leno was sucking in the ratings when he first started too. Give Conan some fuckin' time...sheesh.

I hope Conan leaves NBC. Fox should give him a show.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
What's Leno's contract situation? Is there a reason they can't just give him the axe?

I certainly can't fault NBC for taking the shot that they did. If Leno's show had even been moderately successful in the ratings from a money standpoint it would have been a huge success for them.

Fire Leno and Fallon into the sun on a rocket ship and give Conan two and a hours every night.

symple19
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I kinda like Fallon

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
conan should high tail it out
nbc is such a shitty network

Whisky Dog
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow, NBC was such a stud network with Friends and Seinfeld and the Tonight show in the 90's but have done nothing since. Looks like Gaspin and everyone like him should be fired.

lefty
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
LAME...Leno is old and not funny anymore...Conan is the shit...long live CoCo...

When was he funny?

And yes,Conan for president

lefty
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, NBC was such a stud network with Friends and Seinfeld and the Tonight show in the 90's but have done nothing since. Looks like Gaspin and everyone like him should be fired.
Scrubs was good

Couples was promising but was cancelled due to too much "sexual innunendo"

mrsmaalox
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Scrubs was good

Couples was promising but was cancelled due to too much "sexual innunendo"

You mean too much poorly done sexual innuendo.

lefty
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
You mean too much poorly done sexual innuendo.
The brunette was hot though :D

florige
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I didn't mind Leno. He had his moments. But 10 was to early for me. Normally I am just leaving the gym around that time, and am doing all my running around before I have to go in.

BlackSwordsMan
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
jimmy fallon has a show?

lefty
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
jimmy fallon has a show?
He has a job?

BlackSwordsMan
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
no shit he's terrible

fraga
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
When was he funny?

Yes...infact...there was a time when Jay Leno was actually funny...waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day...

JudynTX
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
David Letterman is the only late night show I watch.

symple19
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
no shit he's terrible

Fallons interview styles sucks (he basically just slobbers on the guest for awhile), but the comedy stuff is funny. I also like how he's always doing crazy stuff with his guests, like playing beer pong or shooting random objects into a BB hoop. They did a bit called, "real housewives of late night" that was fucking hilarious.

Conan was pretty terrible when he first started at late night. It took him awhile to settle into the format and then figure out his interview style. Same goes for Fallon.

NBC is just retarded. They should have kicked the chin to the curb long ago and then did everything they could to ensure Conans success. But instead they're overreacting and doing some crazy shit because the local stations are crying about the ratings of their 11 o'clock news shows.

All Conan needed was some time for people to get used to him.

lefty
01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes...infact...there was a time when Jay Leno was actually funny...waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day...
I do remember that Mike Tyson joke back in the days (after he bit Holyfield's ear)

" Mike Tyson was seen in nightclub yesterday; he went home with 6 women....
..... 6 women.... that's 12 ears "

florige
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
He has a job?

You are a Ravens fan?

lefty
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
You are a Ravens fan?
Not really

I'm a PAts fan :lol

mrsmaalox
01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I didn't mind Leno. He had his moments. But 10 was to early for me. Normally I am just leaving the gym around that time, and am doing all my running around before I have to go in.

You're right it is too early---I rarely turn on my tv before 11:00pm most days. So even Letterman and Conan are just sometimers for me. And that is why I my late night talk choice is Craig Ferguson. He's the yummiest guy on TV right now! :)

http://www.poptower.com/images/db/4956/420/300/late-show-craig-ferguson.jpg

lefty
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
You're right it is too early---I rarely turn on my tv before 11:00pm most days. So even Letterman and Conan are just sometimers for me. And that is why I my late night talk choice is Craig Ferguson. He's the yummiest guy on TV right now! :)

Ferguson is funny

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Ferguson is the only show where I bother to watch the interviews. I watch Conan or any of the others I'll usually shut it off before they do the interviews. They all just come across as just another part of a script. "My show's prep team told me to ask you about blah, blah, blah."
"As a matter of fact I did. Blah blah blah."

Ferguson makes it seem like he's actually talking to these people and having a good time doing it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
WTF? Double post

Jacob1983
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Conan needs to go back to being on at 11:35pm. Old people don't get his jokes or skits. And Conan has lost some of his edge since taking over the Tonight Show. Leno is the Brett Favre of late night talk shows. And David Letterman is only funny if you're over 60.

florige
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Conan needs to go back to being on at 11:35pm. Old people don't get his jokes or skits. And Conan has lost some of his edge since taking over the Tonight Show. Leno is the Brett Favre of late night talk shows. And David Letterman is only funny if you're over 60.

You are a 100% right. I was actually listening to these radio sports jockeys here and they were saying just that. They were older and didn't get alot of Conan's brand of humor. I think Conan is aimed more t-wards the 18-35 demographic.

Jacob1983
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I've always thought Conan was good with skits and his monologue. The interviews not so much. Craig tends to do better interviews than Conan in my opinion.

mrsmaalox
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ferguson is the only show where I bother to watch the interviews. I watch Conan or any of the others I'll usually shut it off before they do the interviews. They all just come across as just another part of a script. "My show's prep team told me to ask you about blah, blah, blah."

Ferguson makes it seem like he's actually talking to these people and having a good time doing it.

How many times have you seen he and the guest never even get to discuss the product to be plugged, because they are having so much fun just goofing off? All the time!

And what about his hair? Isn't it so sexy in that tossled, roll in the hay kind of way?? :spin

florige
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Me too! I haven't seen any of Conan really since he has switched to the earlier time slot. I sometimes catch the tail end of the show. I can always catch all of Failon nights when I am off.

lefty
01-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Me too

CuckingFunt
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
What's Leno's contract situation? Is there a reason they can't just give him the axe?

I can only assume he has really, really, REALLY bad pictures of someone.

boutons_deux
01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Ferguson is pleasantly insane, and authentically seems to enjoy himself. I suspect there is an authentic, decent human in there.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
if nbc wants ratings, they need to just air To Catch a Predator every night from 10-11

baseline bum
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd love to see Conan walk to a network like Fox. Conan's show is just not that funny with the censorship moving him into Leno's spot brought, despite the fact that he was once amazing in the later slot. Of course he'd lose all the great characters like Triumph, The Masturbating Bear, Pimpbot 5000, etc. that made his show great when he in the late late slot, but Conan's a very talented writer who I'm confident would be able to recreate the hilarity of his initial show.

baseline bum
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Letterman was incredibly funny when he had Conan's original time slot. You can tell he's frustrated by the same network-imposed censorship that makes Conan unfunny now, based on how Letterman looks like he never tries anymore.

Xylus
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Craig Ferguson is easily the best choice for late-night television, though I enjoy Letterman's style of humor and Conan's sketches. Leno is vanilla, too bland to warrant the top slot.

DarkReign
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I never got "Late Night" television. None of it was ever funny, until some goofy redhead came out acting liking a puppet on a string before his monologue. Conan fell off looooong before he got the Tonight Show, though. Even his Late Show stopped being remotely funny....or I got older and less entertained, I am not sure.

Leno has always been a joke, not the funny kind either.

Letterman is a living caricature of himself. Wholly and totally unfunny since....forever. That stupid necktie thing he does and the dumb songs from the bald guy in the band...just stupid. Its like theyre trying to not be funny on purpose and that this irony will somehow make you laugh. I guess...

Ferguson is hilarious. Smart show, smart commentary the few times I have watched it...it always seems his show is always |.| this close to going out of control.

baseline bum
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
You have to admit Letterman was funny as hell on NBC when he'd just sit and talk shit to his guests. I remember one episode where there was some unknown Brazilian singer who was all over him and looked like she wanted to have him right there on the desk even though he was insulting her with every word out his mouth. :lol

eyeh8u
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Lopez. Late Night. Leven o clock - i mean that is genius

balli
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I still find Conan funny. Not as funny as he used to be, but I chalk that up to the network's constraints. He should go to Fox and do whatever he wants.

I've always hated Leno's comedy and lately everything he represents. I hope he and NBC crash and burn together.

What boring, dumb, putzy scum Leno is- in other words, this guy:

http://i48.tinypic.com/23le2jr.jpg

Cane
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
All the late show guests are entertaining to me except for that god awful Carson Daly. I prefer Conan's humor over Leno but ever since he moved to the new show with Andy Richter and shifted to a more conservative tone it just hasn't been the same.

Moving Leno back makes sense from a ratings and $$$ perspective which NBC desperately needs. It'll be interesting to see if Conan remains professional or becomes an asshat after all is said and done.

balli
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
All the late show guests are entertaining to me except for that god awful Carson Daly.
The only potential good I see coming out of this is that maybe Carson Daly will be canceled. Anything that makes Carson Daly sad is a-okay with me.

The Nihilist
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Anything that makes Carson Daly sad is a-okay with me.
Like vaginas?

iggypop123
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
this is the only time i remember watching letterman

http://www.fresh99.com/images/gwenstefani/1.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 09:29 PM

nice stems. there was a time when uma thurman came on conan's show, not literally, when he was still after leno. i wanna say it was when kill bill came out. she wore this purple dress and her legs were the greatest pair i've ever seen. they were burnt into my frontal lobes. i wish youtube was around back then.

SA210
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM

:wow

balli
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
nice stems. there was a time when uma thurman came on conan's show, not literally, when he was still after leno. i wanna say it was when kill bill came out. she wore this purple dress and her legs were the greatest pair i've ever seen. they were burnt into my frontal lobes. i wish youtube was around back then.

Dude. I shit you not. One of the first times I saw HD in action was that exact same show. I know exactly what you're talking about. It'll also be tattooed into my brain until I'm 85. Crazy hot.

iggypop123
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
only link i could find
http://thumbnails.cbsig.net/CBS_Production_Entertainment/CBS_Production_Entertainment/2009/10/16/Late_Night/Late_Show/Clips/Big_Show_Highlights/214/356/ls_bsh_20091016.jpg

katyon6th
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time I watched any of these late night assholes on TV.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
only link i could find
http://thumbnails.cbsig.net/CBS_Production_Entertainment/CBS_Production_Entertainment/2009/10/16/Late_Night/Late_Show/Clips/Big_Show_Highlights/214/356/ls_bsh_20091016.jpg

purple and conan

balli
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
nice effort, but not even close though. On that Conan show, she was like glowing with some sort of sex energy that I'd never seen in a woman before or since. I don't know what was up with the universe or God, but for some reason she was just insanely, unbelievably hot that night.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
oh damn. i think i found the video.

balli
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
oh damn. i think i found the video.

I know we're internet enemies, but... link???

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I know we're internet enemies, but... link???

it's just a messageboard, dude

BEHOLD
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3efc5_uma-thurman-10903-conan

balli
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
:tu :toast

CubanMustGo
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Yowsa.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Yowsa.

for?

easjer
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
That's the problem NBC has had for years.

They want high ratings, full stop.

And when it doesn't come automatically, they start tinkering and then dump quality before it has a chance to work.

Off the top of my head I can think of several shows they let go - Scrubs, Journeyman, Life, that one with Christian Slater as two different people, My Name is Earl. . .

They've kept other shows that are hovering well past their expiration dates - ER, Law & Order (perhaps the entire franchise at this point), the Office is pushing it.

It's just frustrating, because if it's not an instant success, no matter how much critical acclaim it gets, it's dumped. And they are the worst.

And NBC just looks flat out foolish right now by doing this big switch, instilling Conan as the THE Tonight Show host, in grand tradition and then saying - uh. . . so you can keep the set and the title, but really, you're sort taking a big step back.

I don't Conan is quite as funny as he was when he was less censored, but it still beats Leno.

easjer
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I meant that so much, I posted it twice. But I thought it lost some impact on re-telling.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
If I was conan, I'd be pissed. I'd tell them all to suck it, sign with fox, and head back to NYC and stomp their ass in the ratings. He can do it.

CubanMustGo
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Here's what Conan wrote. Interesting that he talks about watching Carson on Tonight and doesn't say diddly about the mockery that Chin-Boy made out of the show.

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree
of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

leemajors
01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Leno's retort, according to iwatchstuff.com:

While I'd love to respect Conan and the tradition of The Tonight Show, I'm sorry, but as long as there are modestly amusing newspaper typos to report, I must continue to exist. Also, Uncle Jay would like some extra scratch for filling another garage with indulgent vehicles. Hope you understand.
Stay tuned for Jaywalking! I found some fools on the street who will say the dumbest shit just to get on air!
Jay

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/01/conan_wont_do_tonight_show_aft.php

Summers
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Conan's getting shafted. He's earned the Tonight Show. Leno should retire.

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Conan's too good for NBC and I have always thought he was way too funny for something as bland as The Tonight Show. Please walk to Fox.

mrsmaalox
01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Conan's too good for NBC and I have always thought he was way too funny for something as bland as The Tonight Show. Please walk to Fox.

Yes he should leave. After seeing how they treated Letterman the writing is on the wall. Leave NBC with Leno and Fallon and they'll never recover. Just how big an ego does Leno have that he won't just step aside!! :wtf

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Sounds like he's tip-toeing around what would be the bigger issue if I were in his shoes: Leno's show was such a clunker that local affiliates were up in arms over it hurting their local newcasts' ratings and now he gets to carry this albatross as his lead in.

gameFACE
01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I never got into watching either Leno or Conan but i'm siding with Conan on this one. This should be a wake up call to Leno. He was an okay replacement for Carson but I don't think he ever developed a connection with the audience like Carson did. I don't see him as someone NBC should go all out for. Conan has the show fair and square and should be given a chance, unles there is small print in his contract.

If nothing else you can be sure a cheesy movie of the week will be made out of this thing and you'll find yourself thinking "why did I waste that two hours"?

balli
01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
lol. Conan's so damn cool.

Fermixalot
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
b5lVD8GBr8

Jacob1983
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Someone should put up a picture of Leno have the word "ASS" in red. That ASS skit was hilarious on Conan's show.

symple19
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
So, according to TMZ, http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/conan-i-want-to-work-for-nbc/ Conan is leaving, and Leno will get a whole hour and the "tonight show" name back.

Can't wait to see what Conan will do on Fox (if that's where he goes). Awesome. Fuck NBC

balli
01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
So, according to TMZ, http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/conan-...-work-for-nbc/ Conan is leaving, and Leno will get a whole hour and the "tonight show" name back.
Awesome. Fuck NBC indeed. If Leno takes the Tonight Show back, fuck him. I'm mostly happy that Conan's leaving, but what Leno should do is go to ABC and leave NBC alone with Fallon and Daly.

Wouldn't this be awesome:

CBS- Letterman, The British Dude from Drew Carey
ABC- Leno, Kimmel
FOX- Conan

NBC- Fallon, Daly

balli
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
lol: Letterman just dismantles NBC and Leno over this: 16 years comes full circle.

A98_-EeXS_I

Viva Las Espuelas
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
lol: Letterman just dismantles NBC and Leno over this: 16 years comes full circle.

A98_-EeXS_I

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
leno and letterman are both dumbasses who are lucky they ever got in the limelight... they suck as comedians and hosts! fuck 'em both!

balli
01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
leno and letterman are both dumbasses who are lucky they ever got in the limelight... they suck as comedians and hosts! fuck 'em both!

I was watching Sesame Street when Letterman was still cool... I don't dislike him now, but I guess he used to be the mother effing shit. The way people wax all nostalgic-like about Letterman makes me sad I wasn't lucid during the 80's.

anakha
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Holy shit, Conan's on fire tonight.

"I made a peacock!"

"Welcome to NBC. Where our new slogan is, 'No longer just screwing up prime-time.'"

"When I was a little boy, I remember watching The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and thinking 'Someday, I'm gonna host that show for seven months'."

"And trust me, when NBC says something – you can take that to the bank!"

"2 tickets to Jay Leno stand-up at a casino"

Comparing NBC to a pimp with late night ho's - with Leno as the bottom ho.

"Stop saying NBC.... We're trying to have a pleasant evening."

Oh God, the man is going down, guns blazing. And it will be glorious.

anakha
01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Kimmel just came out in a Leno costume and started the Leno high-fives to the audience on his show. Damn.

E: And he's telling Leno-style horrible jokes, while the band is acting just like Eubanks and company.

balli
01-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Oh God, the man is going down, guns blazing. And it will be glorious.
He's not pulling a single punch. I need to remember to DVR every second of what's left of his Tonight Show run.
Conan in 'fuck it' mode is TV as good as it gets.

Ironically NBC completely destroying The Tonight Show has made it, however briefly, as good as it's been in a decade and a half.

BlackSwordsMan
01-13-2010, 12:55 AM
poor carson daly

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Kimmel just came out in a Leno costume and started the Leno high-fives to the audience on his show. Damn.

E: And he's telling Leno-style horrible jokes, while the band is acting just like Eubanks and company.

yeah this is funny stuff

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-13-2010, 01:02 AM
:lmao chevy chase as conan :lmao

Xylus
01-13-2010, 02:05 AM
The solution here seems very simple to me:

Fire Jay Leno. Let Conan keep the Tonight Show. He isn't beating Letterman in the ratings war, but you have to give the man time to build his dynasty. Patton Oswalt articulated this on a radio show the other day when he pointed out that Conan started off horribly on Late Night, but ended up creating this massively popular program that had a die-hard following.

It doesn't surprise me, though, that NBC values ratings over creativity. It is all about the money, anyway. And let's come to a consensus: Conan is funnier and far more creative than Jay Leno.

Leno is like the Transformers 2 of late night TV. He's the Brendan Fraser of late night TV.

Xylus
01-13-2010, 02:14 AM
And another thing.

People expected Conan to match Letterman's ratings, but NBC has made that impossible by putting Leno in front of him yet again. When your late night programming begins 90 minutes earlier, it's only natural for people to start tuning out a little earlier, as well. You put Johnny Carson on at 10pm, and Leno sure as hell wouldn't have been as successful as he was.

Spurtacus
01-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Fuck Leno and fuck NBC. Long live Coco!

CubanMustGo
01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
The solution here seems very simple to me:

Fire Jay Leno. Let Conan keep the Tonight Show. He isn't beating Letterman in the ratings war, but you have to give the man time to build his dynasty. Patton Oswalt articulated this on a radio show the other day when he pointed out that Conan started off horribly on Late Night, but ended up creating this massively popular program that had a die-hard following.

It doesn't surprise me, though, that NBC values ratings over creativity. It is all about the money, anyway. And let's come to a consensus: Conan is funnier and far more creative than Jay Leno.

Leno is like the Transformers 2 of late night TV. He's the Brendan Fraser of late night TV.

+1

Another thing: while Conan's overall ratings are behind Letterman's, he's already winning the 18-39 demo which is the sweet spot as far as advertisers are concerned. As you say in your followup, throw Leno totally out and more people will have a look at Conan's Tonight.

I haven't been in that demo for nearly a decade, but still have no idea what people see in Leno. His monologue delivery is stiff as a board, his jokes are stale, and his comedy bits are tired.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Ironically NBC completely destroying The Tonight Show has made it, however briefly, as good as it's been in a decade and a half.

I said something like that last night while watching the show. For all the ways that they have been shooting themselves in the foot in this situation it's been a huge boon for the show. They have a situation that every media outlet is talking about, have given Conan a great set up to make fun of, and most of all have given him nothing to lose. The last few shows I've seen are the closest he's come to the sort of energy that made Late Night work so damn well since making the jump to the Tonight Show.

If it weren't for the fact that NBC has proven themselves to be such programming retards for the last few years I'd say this was a huge, genius marketing campaign to get Conan's ratings up.

easjer
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Agreed, Conan going balls out, guns blazing was like a welcome home party. The best he's been in awhile. He was being too censored on the Tonight Show, trying to be more bland and please more people and now he thinks he's out - he's fantastic. He was absolutely fucking hilarious last night.

I like Leno all right, but I love Conan. The Leno gamble didn't work, the network was cheap and took a gamble and the end result of that gamble should be letting go of Leno. It's sucks for them, since they love him soooo much, but come on. Step up and be men of your word, assholes.

Ah, well. Once NBC lets him go (it could take awhile) he will be totally awesome on Fox. And better yet? If they air it after Fox News (which I don't watch) I'll tune in a lot more regularly. Half the time I'm getting ready for bed when the Tonight Show is on.

EmptyMan
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
It's hilarious watching an NBC channel show host just bash NBC. haha

These hosts always sarcastically make fun of their network, but Conan is ripping them a new a$$hole in a cool funny Conan way.

CubanMustGo
01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Not a lot new here, but a nice summing up.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108571/obrien-rejects-nbc-shift-hes-set-to-say-goodnight?sec=topStories&pos=5&asset=&ccode=

NBC may control its airwaves, but apparently it does not control Conan O’Brien.

Less than a week after NBC told him it intended to move his “Tonight Show” to a new time, 12:05 a.m., Mr. O’Brien said he would not agree to what he considered a demotion for the institution of “The Tonight Show” — and his own career — by going along with the network’s plan to push him back a half-hour to make room for his most recent predecessor, Jay Leno.

Mr. O’Brien’s statement Tuesday said that he so respected the institution of “The Tonight Show” that he could not participate in what “I honestly believe is its destruction.”

Pointedly, Mr. O’Brien did not resign or indicate he would not show up for work. But an executive at the network who declined to be identified because of continuing negotiations said that Mr. O’Brien would leave once a financial settlement was reached.

By Hollywood standards, Mr. O’Brien’s letter was an extraordinary gesture — releasing a statement to make public his anger at the company paying him tens of millions of dollars before he even reached a settlement.

The closest episode in history may be when Jack Paar walked off the set of “The Tonight Show” in a huff over corporate censorship.

Mr. Paar returned to the show within a month in 1960, but few are predicting a reconciliation between Mr. O’Brien and the network.

NBC executives continued Tuesday to work toward a financial settlement, though some indicated increasing impatience with Mr. O’Brien’s effort to blame the network for the three-car pile-up in late night.

The host, who saw his brief run as host of “Tonight” cut short when NBC decided to restore Mr. Leno to the 11:35 p.m. time period, has been increasingly upset about how he believes he was treated by NBC’s management.

A representative of the host said Tuesday that Mr. O’Brien finally reached the point on Monday where he “sat up all night drafting the statement.”

The statement also took NBC to task for not giving the show more time or supplying stronger lead-in audiences, which could be interpreted as a shot at Mr. Leno’s poor performance at 10 p.m. (Though Mr. O’Brien mentioned Johnny Carson, David Letterman and Jimmy Fallon in his statement, he never referred to Mr. Leno by name, only by the title of his show.)

“After only seven months,” Mr. O’Brien wrote, “with my ‘Tonight Show’ in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime time by making a change in their long-established late-night schedule.”

He hosted the show Tuesday night, even as negotiations, which one participant described as intense, continued throughout the day. But Mr. O’Brien did not hold back on criticizing NBC during his performance.

“Welcome to NBC — where our new slogan is, ‘No longer just screwing up prime time,’ ” he said.

He was also self-effacing in his jokes. “Hello, my name is Conan O’Brien, and I may soon be available for children’s parties.”

Though some rumors appeared saying NBC might be lining up guest hosts, NBC quietly dismissed that notion. Indeed, such a move could have legal implications because it might be interpreted as NBC firing Mr. O’Brien, which could lead to a bigger settlement for him.

Jeff Gaspin, the chairman of NBC Entertainment, who broached the idea last week of shifting the late-night lineup, said he was motivated by trying to retain both stars, not to drive Mr. O’Brien away. But other NBC executives indicated privately that they would be satisfied with a new late-night lineup with Mr. Leno back at “The Tonight Show” at 11:35 and Mr. Fallon settling in at the “Late Night” show at 12:35.

Those executives will apparently get their wish. But questions will linger about whether Mr. Leno will return automatically to his former position of dominance at 11:35 against Mr. Letterman’s show at CBS.

“You have to wonder if Jay is damaged goods after all this,” said one former longtime network programmer who did not want to be identified criticizing the network. “But if they give him ‘The Tonight Show’ back, maybe it ends up all right after a while. But it just seems so unfair to Conan.”

The release of Mr. O’Brien’s statement complicated an already messy legal and programming situation. NBC executives have quietly complained for at least a month that Mr. O’Brien himself was responsible for declining ratings on the show because he had not broadened his appeal from his days hosting NBC’s 12:35 a.m. show, “Late Night.”

NBC has also made it clear that it does not believe it breached Mr. O’Brien’s contract in any way because it offered him the chance to continue on “Tonight.” NBC executives said that Mr. O’Brien’s contract did not include any language that guaranteed the show had to begin at 11:35 p.m.

The counterargument from Mr. O’Brien’s representatives has been that no such language was necessary in this case because “The Tonight Show” has followed the late local news in cities across America for 60 years.

Plenty of money is involved. Mr. O’Brien is owed about two and a half years on a contract that pays him $10 million to $20 million a year.

Mr. O’Brien expressed hope in his statement that the issue could be resolved so “that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.” But though the Fox network has made its potential interest in Mr. O’Brien public in comments this week, Mr. O’Brien said, “I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next.”

There would be questions, too, about Mr. O’Brien’s potential at another network after the disappointment at “Tonight.”

Mr. O’Brien’s future could also be complicated by how his contract is settled. Even if NBC settles with him, it could enforce a clause that keeps him off television for a year or more.

austN Spur
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
^^^ nice signature im so glad i came into this thread. I heard the game on the radio and for some reason i didnt see that on ESPN fastbreak.

man i hope that last nights conan tonight show is on nbc to watch online.

ploto
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Conan presumably has a covenant not to compete written into his contract by NBC that may keep him from signing immediately anywhere.

There are also reports that Leno may leave NBC, as well.

Frenzy
01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Conan presumably has a covenant not to compete written into his contract by NBC that may keep him from signing immediately anywhere.

conan on fox....unlikely

easjer
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM

I've heard reports it's a year to 18 months.

MiamiHeat
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I've always hated Conan and wondered why the F they were putting him on the Tonight show. good to see I wasn't the only one.

conan had decent ratings for his time slot because of all the college stoners who laughed at his dumbass jokes. it's the same crowd who watches Cartoon Network's "TIM AND ERIC AWESOME SHOW, GOOD JOB"

that stuff doesn't fly with mainstream, normal, non drugged people

Leno is much better than Conan and Letterman

Xylus
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I've always hated Conan and wondered why the F they were putting him on the Tonight show. good to see I wasn't the only one.

conan had decent ratings for his time slot because of all the college stoners who laughed at his dumbass jokes. it's the same crowd who watches Cartoon Network's "TIM AND ERIC AWESOME SHOW, GOOD JOB"

And gays are sick people who need to be treated as inferiors.

Kindly go fuck yourself.

koriwhat
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM

leno fuckin' blows! the only times i have ever caught leno has been when he is doing his intro and crackin' cheap jokes that get no laughs and then trying to crack on his guitarist which usually ends up backfiring on himself. his guitarist is usually like, "yeah... ok leno?"

leno is a chump!

angel_luv
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I do not care for either Jay or Conan's shows.

But, in the interest of fairness, I don't think Conan should be forced to give up his new time slot.
Jay Leno's new show is the experiment that failed, so if anyone has to settle for an undesirable time slot, it should be Jay- so long as Conan ratings are good.

easjer
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Or not . . . as I have never touched drugs and when I was in college, Conan aired at 2 am here. One who watched the show might remember it, as he did a huge thing on it. Came down here, met people at various times his show was actually airing to see why they weren't watching. Had a contest between Hilton Furniture 'That's a fact Jack! Oooooooooo!' ripping up the mattress with a chainsaw for no apparent reason and Gallery Furniture (at the time) 'Look Ma, no hands' hands free recliner that would lift you up and out of it - two commercials that aired regularly during his show - to bring one of them on the show.

I don't know if I'm considered normal, but I would guess so, at least according to what most networks think. Most of my friends like Conan as well, and none of my friends touch anything but alcohol. Additionally, Conan was beating out Lettermen for the coveted 18-39 demographic.

So . . . feel free to speak for yourself and say you prefer Leno, but the generalization is arrogant and off the mark.

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Conan has quite a sense of humor regarding his situation.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=102150206

CubanMustGo
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Here's Kimmel's show from last night, where he channeled Leno:

http://abc.go.com/watch/jimmy-kimmel-live/93521/246882/jimmy-kimmel-live-112?cid=fullepisodeaccess

symple19
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Conan has quite a sense of humor regarding his situation.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=102150206

One of the reasons Conan is awesome

Here's Kimmel's show from last night, where he channeled Leno:

http://abc.go.com/watch/jimmy-kimmel-live/93521/246882/jimmy-kimmel-live-112?cid=fullepisodeaccess

Kimmel was awesome last night, so was Ferguson

balli
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM

That's one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Leno is for rubes. That is why he exists. By consensus and definition. To give dumb, neocon rubes a 'safe' alternative to what regular society finds funny. Even Leno himself would admit it- he's a boring, ultra safe schmuck- whose shtick consists of pointing out typos in small town newspapers and peddling himself to elderly folk in any way he can.

Conan doesn't so much tell jokes as use them as a framework for another kind of hilarity. Most of it physical. If you don't get it, fine, but that's on you. Might as well throw Chaplin, Lloyd and Vaudevillian humor under the bus too.

If you describe Leno viewers as somehow more educated or perceptive than Conan's, I don't even know what to say except that it makes me think less of you as a person and that you're wrong. Very wrong. That's all there is to it.

MiamiHeat
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Hey, I EXPECT people to get angry

I mean, in my post, I shitted on :

- Conan
- Letterman
- College stoners
- Fans of "TIM AND ERIC AWESOME SHOW, GOOD JOB"

etc...

all shitted on in 1 post.

but the fact is, Conan's main audience was under 35 years old in his old time slot. I was going to college a few years ago, and all of my real life friends LOVED to watch Conan while high. Even internet friends, same shit. I never found the guy funny, but they sure did, somehow the drugs made it funnier, I don't know.

Mainstream ADULTS don't enjoy his 'schtick' ... sorry, we just don't. It's over the top, a little immature childish, tries too hard type of comedy.

That "CONANDO" making fun of spanish soap operas, really... not witty, or clever, or anything. Just some dude making fun of stereotypes in a silly childish way.

as for Jay Leno being 'safe', uh so you think you have better taste in comedy because you like 'edgy' ?

I Love Lucy is one of the greatest shows EVER, and that's the safest, cleanest show in history compared to modern shows. I don't need to feel 'edgy' to have fun.

EmptyMan
01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
That's one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Leno is for rubes. That is why he exists. By consensus and definition. To give dumb, neocon rubes a 'safe' alternative to what regular society finds funny. Even Leno himself would admit it- he's a boring, ultra safe schmuck- whose shtick consists of pointing out typos in small town newspapers and peddling himself to elderly folk in any way he can.

Conan doesn't so much tell jokes as use them as a framework for another kind of hilarity. Most of it physical. If you don't get it, fine, but that's on you. Might as well throw Chaplin, Lloyd and Vaudevillian humor under the bus too.

If you describe Leno viewers as somehow more educated or perceptive than Conan's, I don't even know what to say except that it makes me think less of you as a person and that you're wrong. Very wrong. That's all there is to it.

Yep. Nailed it.

Conan is funny. Leno just tells jokes.

These shows aren't the greatest for comedy. Their purpose is to kiss celebrity ass and promote shit. Conan is witty and can make any situation fluid in laughter.

balli
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Good line: If Conan fucked Leno like this, Leno would finally have a funny bone in his body.

DWB-kd09GXY

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
"Just remember kids, when you grow up you can do anything want to do with your life...unless Jay Leno wants to do it too."

koriwhat
01-14-2010, 11:53 AM
- Fans of "TIM AND ERIC AWESOME SHOW, GOOD JOB"

fuck that show!

but the fact is, Conan's main audience was under 35 years old in his old time slot.

uh... old people suck!

I was going to college a few years ago, and all of my real life friends LOVED to watch Conan while high.

continuing education huh? no wonder you find conan boring cause you're boring... hey i'm 56 and just wanna be at school with other 20 yr olds.

btw, no shit sherlock... everything is funnier when you're high! mr. obvious over here.

Mainstream ADULTS don't enjoy his 'schtick'... sorry, we just don't. It's over the top, a little immature childish, tries too hard type of comedy.

mainstream ADULTS are fuckin' lame... case in point, MiamiHeat. as for childish, well dumb n' dumber is a bunch of immature shit but also my favorite movie and one of the top ten comedies of all time! how's that for immature?!

as for Jay Leno being 'safe', uh so you think you have better taste in comedy because you like 'edgy' ?

no, i think i have better taste in comedy because i know i do, because i don't watch leno and because my taste in comedy is not just edgy but also intelligent and before you say anything about me saying intelligent... well think about it for a moment. a show like the simpsons would've gone no where in it's infancy if it wasn't for the likes of coco. then again you probably don't like the simpsons and would rather watch some goof spin a big wheel as pat sajack claps aimlessly.

I Love Lucy is one of the greatest shows EVER, and that's the safest, cleanest show in history compared to modern shows. I don't need to feel 'edgy' to have fun.

gay.

balli
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I like I Love Lucy.

Ironically though, its best moments (Lucy in the candy plant, Lucy crushing grapes, Lucy dancing with Ethel, Lucy crying, etc) were all predicated on physical comedy rather than actual 'jokes'. The kind of comedy you find fault with when Conan does it. I Love Lucy was similar to Conan in the respect that it didn't tell jokes so much as use them as a framework for Lucille Ball's tremendous physical/visual talents. It might have been safe in terms of its content; the parlance of its times, but you're completely misunderstanding the application of the word 'safe'. I Love Lucy was zany, fast-paced, daring and organic. It's comedy was off the wall- not safe at all. Epic in its erraticism, very similar to Conan.

It was a show driven by absolutely crazy situations/plots and the physical comedy of a genuinely funny person. Not lame punchlines, engineered for rubes; as opposed to say, Leno or Andy Griffith. (though I like Andy Griffith too)

Complete and utter MH self pwnge on that one.

IronMexican
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
He likes friends. Invalid points.

Gervais and Conan were real good yesterday.

Melmart1
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow, looks like the suits at NBC are playing hardball.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff-zucker-threatens-to-ice-conan-ill-keep-you-off-the-air-for-3-12-years/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BacktoBasics
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
You have to wonder since Jay's rating were already down that a proactive attack on Conan would surely cost Jay even more fans.

People prepared themselves to be done with Jay. They moved on already. Thats why his show sucked.

easjer
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Gervais and Conan were real good yesterday.

They were awesome. Ricky Gervais is wonderfully British and funny. "I'm concerned about you, you have no discernible talents."

Wow, looks like the suits at NBC are playing hardball.

They are feeling foolish and posturing, which is absolutely the WRONG move to make. At this point, they should open it up AI style for voting and then magnanimously say that's what the people wanted! Insert Jay after Conan, since he clearly has pictures of someone nekkid, and bada bing bada boom. Solved, faces saved, etc.

You have to wonder since Jay's rating were already down that a proactive attack on Conan would surely cost Jay even more fans.

People prepared themselves to be done with Jay. They moved on already. Thats why his show sucked.

Yes. I won't tune into the Tonight Show again if they reinstate him as host. I'm sure NBC execs are horrified and shaking in their boots at that statement, but it's true.

Melmart1
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes. I won't tune into the Tonight Show again if they reinstate him as host. I'm sure NBC execs are horrified and shaking in their boots at that statement, but it's true.

I will go on record as saying the same thing. I won't watch the Tonight Show again if Leno is back, either. But that's mostly cus I never watched it when he was on there before. :)

mardigan
01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
The writing has been on the wall for Conan O’Brien this week, but that won’t make this news any sweeter for him to hear: TMZ is reporting that NBC and Jay Leno just signed a deal to give Leno back The Tonight Show. For a full hour.

The news comes just hours after Hollywood buzz had O’Brien booking guests for a farewell tour next week.

So, to recap: Leno’s taken back O’Brien’s show and timeslot, and there’s still no word on where O’Brien will go next — or whether NBC will keep him on ice as part of what will presumably be a hefty payout.

http://www.movieline.com/2010/01/jay-leno-signs-nbc-deal-that-restores-him-to-hourlong-tonight-show.php

I fucking hate Leno more than words can express.

baseline bum
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
With Conan gone, I think the only time I will ever turn NBC on again is to watch Sunday night football. I can't believe that piece of shit network used to practically own TV just 13 years ago.

Xylus
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
NBC really seems to be in self-destruct mode. A year ago, they had Leno and Conan and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Now they have Leno, whose reputation will be damaged by this whole affair, and no Conan, who was the best thing about their late-night programming anyway.

iggypop123
01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
they screwed themselves over when they made the offer to conan and had to pay up. they tried to go the cheap way but lost. whether he is funny or not leno is superior to conan in ratings. but now i notice people dont want leno but its not about the show its about what he did. people are on conans side just because of the situation not because they enjoy his show more

Xylus
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
they screwed themselves over when they made the offer to conan and had to pay up. they tried to go the cheap way but lost. whether he is funny or not leno is superior to conan in ratings. but now i notice people dont want leno but its not about the show its about what he did. people are on conans side just because of the situation not because they enjoy his show more

Leno got better ratings because he's had years and years to establish an audience, and there was no other talk show ahead of him to hemorrhage viewers. People are on Conan's side because he's considered to be a funnier, edgier, and more creative comedian by a large majority.

Jacob1983
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
NBC should have never given The Jay Leno a go. The Jay Leno Show has been one of the biggest fails in TV history. It's also one of the biggest fuck-ups in NBC's history. I would put it up there with Joey, the Seinfeld finale, and The XFL. NBC is like The CW now.

Fermixalot
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
The Ricky Gervais interview was amazing. He was saying anything he wanted and you could see Conan trying to be professional somewhat and it produced some huge laughs.

Its a damn shame. A damn shame.

scampers
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Not a big fan of either host but it's bullshit what they're trying to do to Conan.

ace3g
01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
The Ricky Gervais interview was amazing. He was saying anything he wanted and you could see Conan trying to be professional somewhat and it produced some huge laughs.

Its a damn shame. A damn shame.

His "what are they going to do fu**ing fire you" was great

MiamiHeat
01-15-2010, 01:16 AM
continuing education huh? no wonder you find conan boring cause you're boring... hey i'm 56 and just wanna be at school with other 20 yr olds.

You realize I just turned 26 right?

MiamiHeat
01-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Not a big fan of either host but it's bullshit what they're trying to do to Conan.

Conan's failure is his own fault. NBC wouldn't have done this if he had good ratings.

Conan's ratings were IN THE TOILET for his time slot. There aren't enough drunk or high college students to laugh at his jokes at Tonight Show's time slot.

koriwhat
01-15-2010, 07:10 AM
You realize I just turned 26 right?

i didn't think you were old at all... but i do think you're boring and that's why i called you old or hinted at it.

Mr. Peabody
01-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Conan's failure is his own fault. NBC wouldn't have done this if he had good ratings.

Conan's ratings were IN THE TOILET for his time slot. There aren't enough drunk or high college students to laugh at his jokes at Tonight Show's time slot.

Conan's ratings are, at least in part, due to NBC's incompetence. They split The Tonight Show audience by putting on Jay Leno at 9pm. Imagine how Leno would have fared in 1992, if instead of Carson retiring, he just moved up time slots.

Also, Jay Leno at 9pm was a bomb. The local affiliates were all complaining that their newscasts rating were suffering as a result and threatened to pull the show on a local level. Given that, is it really a surprise that The Tonight Show ratings were suffering as well.

Gone are the days when NBC had Seinfeld, Friends, and ER as strong lead-in shows to the local news and the Tonight Show like they did when Leno started. Hell, his ratings were behind Letterman's ratings until NBC's prime-time programming improved in the mid-90's.

leemajors
01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Hope Leno keeps churning out gems like this:

For some reason on Thursday, Leno chose to take a little dig at the stadium and Jones in his monologue.

"Here's something I don't understand. If you watched the game the other night, you know the Dallas Cowboys' new "billion-dollar stadium" has artificial turf on the field. It's not real grass. Their owner Jerry Jones said "It's hard to grow real grass inside a domed stadium." Really? How come college kids all across the country grow pot in a metal file cabinet? They can grow grass. Why can't you grow grass?"

fraga
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Just admit it already...YOU don't like Conan...everybody else does...period...

easjer
01-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Except Conan's ratings aren't in the toilet. They are behind Letterman's, but Leno's show was the real problem. Bad lead ins, split audience loyalties, no time. . . it can't all be attributed to Conan.

Don't get me wrong, by trying to tone it down, he lost viewers. But there are a LOT of loyal Conan fans, and they are tuning in by the droves right now, because he's doing what he does best right and not giving a fuck. The writing has been brilliant this week.

MiamiHeat
01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
1) http://messages.tv.yahoo.com/tv/threadview?m=tm&bn=tvb-34238f1&tid=52&mid=-1&tof=2

Have a look at the comments.

2) http://thepurplecenter.blogspot.com/2009/06/tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-really.html

This guy here is prophetic.

"Johnny must be turning in his grave. And Jay may already be wondering how long it will take NBC to beg him to take the "Tonight Show" back -- and how much they'll offer him."

ploto
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
The real problem for Conan is that most people who are inclined to like the kind of things he does already watch Letterman at that time slot. He definitely could not hold onto the viewers that had been previously watching the Tonight Show. Whether Leno had a show or not, many of these people would have never watched Conan. They are very different shows and really NBC screwed it up in the first place. Conan's show is more suited for a later time slot.

MiamiHeat
01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
The writing has been brilliant this week.

Comedy 101 :

When the source material is great, it's easy to write jokes.

SEE : George Bush and the rise of Jon Stewart.

MiamiHeat
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Just admit it already...YOU don't like Conan...everybody else does...period...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9051/leno1.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8500/leno2.jpg

clambake
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Comedy 101 :

When the source material is great, it's easy to write jokes.

SEE : George Bush and the rise of Jon Stewart.

you have a point.

at least leno was continually shitty.

easjer
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Whereas I'm inclined to say it's less about source material (though that plays a role) than Conan just saying 'Fuck it all, nothing to lose' and going back to his roots because they're dumping him anyway, so why try to please them any longer?

symple19
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Kimmel crushes Jay on his own show last night!!! MUST SEE

axwO6BkCtIo

easjer
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
That was . . . awkward.

Jimmy was funny, but . . . ouch.

I'd rather watch more of Kiefer Sutherland in a dress.

symple19
01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
That was . . . awkward.

Jimmy was funny, but . . . ouch.

I'd rather watch more of Kiefer Sutherland in a dress.

WTF was Jay thinking having Jimmy on? What did he expect?

baseline bum
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
LMAO @ Kimmel :rollin

fraga
01-15-2010, 02:07 PM
He got in some good shots there...

hater
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
just die already late night

Letterman has 1 foot on the grave

Leno has gone senile

Conan is never taken seriously

easjer
01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
"Jay, you have a garage full of cars to take care of. Conan and I have kids, man. Don't come after our shows!"

Jaw-droppingly funny and awkward.

It's like Jay realizes he needs to address (since everyone else is doing so) but realizes that he can't just blame it on the network (since if he would have just quit or would just retire now, this whole mess would be non-existent), and doesn't realize he's the butt of half of the jokes from everyone else. So he thinks he'll do it in a round-about manner or thinks he was being self-deprecating by having Jimmy on the show, and didn't realize what he was opening himself up to by doing it.

balli
01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I guess it would be too much to expect that celebrities everywhere revolt and refuse to go on Leno's Tonight Show, but it would be a lot cooler if they did.

leemajors
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9051/leno1.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8500/leno2.jpg

so what?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/Screenshot2010-01-15at21315PM.png

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/Screenshot2010-01-15at21304PM.png

nkdlunch
01-15-2010, 03:49 PM

axwO6BkCtIo

dayum. Jay receives an uppercut to the ribcage

ploto
01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Why would Leno quit and put all his employees out of work?

ploto
01-15-2010, 05:23 PM
27LDh7BBK_4

gaKNOW!blee
01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Not gonna read the entire thread, but let me just say...anyone who doesn't think Conan is funny should never be allowed to watch TV again.

His interviews are f'ing hilarious.

cd98
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM

axwO6BkCtIo

I've liked Leno and Conan, but really don't watch either of them anymore. Conan is better later at night, but that's just my opinion. He took a dive when he went to the tonight show and dropped what made him funny.

But I kind of see this as a cheap shot on Jay. Maybe behind the scenes he's a jerk about it, but I respect Jay for being classy. He's also been very supportive of all comedians in general. Ask Seinfeld. More importantly, he dominated (absolutely dominated) the ratings up until his move to prime time to accomodate Conan. Why should he step aside? That's like asking Jordan to sit on the bench after the first three championships to let the new rookie develop.

And the Kimmel crack about "we have kids to raise" is nonsense. None of those guys is hurting for money and to play that card is a bit silly when you consider people in the real world have real jobs that pay so much less and have families to support. It makes me kind of not want to watch any of them.

Xylus
01-15-2010, 07:23 PM
The reason why people have turned on Jay Leno, even though he really hasn't said much to anger people, is because he's completely fucking bland. He's a comedian who makes harmless jokes to appeal to as big an audience as he can in order to secure ratings. He's innocuous. He's everything that comedy, in my opinion, shouldn't be.

Leno represents the corporatization of comedy. NBC execs love him because he makes them money, but he literally does nothing for his craft. This is why Kimmel appears on Leno's show and trashes him, why Letterman has trashed him, why 80% of people in a TV Guide poll support Conan, why almost everyone interviewed about the subject has great things to say about Conan but not much to say about Leno.

TheMACHINE
01-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Except Conan's ratings aren't in the toilet. They are behind Letterman's, but Leno's show was the real problem. Bad lead ins, split audience loyalties, no time. . . it can't all be attributed to Conan.

Don't get me wrong, by trying to tone it down, he lost viewers. But there are a LOT of loyal Conan fans, and they are tuning in by the droves right now, because he's doing what he does best right and not giving a fuck. The writing has been brilliant this week.

also..didnt they adviertise the fuck out of the jay leno show compared to the Tonight Show?

Das Texan
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
The reason why people have turned on Jay Leno, even though he really hasn't said much to anger people, is because he's completely fucking bland. He's a comedian who makes harmless jokes to appeal to as big an audience as he can in order to secure ratings. He's innocuous. He's everything that comedy, in my opinion, shouldn't be.

Leno represents the corporatization of comedy. NBC execs love him because he makes them money, but he literally does nothing for his craft. This is why Kimmel appears on Leno's show and trashes him, why Letterman has trashed him, why 80% of people in a TV Guide poll support Conan, why almost everyone interviewed about the subject has great things to say about Conan but not much to say about Leno.

ok its not the main reason why letterman trashes leno.

CubanMustGo
01-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Leno fucked Letterman out of a job and now he's fucking Conan out of one. "Classy" my ass.

Cyrano
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Back in 2006, Jay Leno appeared at our Radio Shack annual meeting in Las Vegas. Up until then, I thought he was a pretty good standup. However, he started his set with several jokes about his Buick Roadmaster ( which he had used on the Tonight Show about 12 years previously). Then he started telling Jeffrey Dahmer jokes. Dahmer was killed in 1994. You'd think he might have written some new material in the intervening 12 years, but nooooo, he decided to re-use stuff that wasn't funny when he first used it more than a decade previously. MANY of us got up and walked out on him, because he not only wasn't funny, he was downright BORING.
He practiced underhanded tactics when he usurped Letterman 17 years ago (I mean, hiding in a closet to listen in on a NBC corporate conference call isn't exactly fair play), and I think he's bamboozled the network into giving him whatever he wants, everybody else be damned. I hope Conan goes to Fox and beats the living shit out of Leno's ratings.

balli
01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
'Classy my ass' is right. He's now stabbed two of his peers directly in the back in order to get the Tonight Show. Probably the most manipulative piece of shit scum in LA.

Why should he step aside?
Because he already fucking did.

As Letterman astutely pointed out the other night, you got to love Johnny Carson, the man knew when to hang it up. He didn't have to. And that's called grace. What Leno's doing (manipulating idiots to stay in power even though nobody else has an ounce of respect for him) is called scumbaggery.

balli
01-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I like to spend time and energy taking sides in millionaire fights
like McCry vs the first round of the NFL draft?

Cyrano
01-15-2010, 11:49 PM
LMFAO! Conan is auctioning off "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" luggage!
"It's as easy to move as a talk show in a late night time slot"

cd98
01-16-2010, 11:52 AM
A few points:

1. Jordan stepped aside for a year and then got his starting job back and won three more titles.

2. Leno could have said public statements like the other guys, but he didn't. That's classy. All you hear from are the people that are willing to bad talk Leno in public. If you heard his side of the story, you'd probably hear some equally negative stuff about Letterman and Conan. Especially Letterman, who is one of the nastiest people in the business- no way he was a boy scout behind the scenes.

3. Leno may be boring, but more people like him than Conan or Letterman- at least so says the ratings.

4. Conan's stand up equally sucks (except for his excellent digs at himself). Conan is a skit expert and stand up is not his strong point. He's also equally awkward at interviews unless it is other comedians or talented actors that are outspoken and carry the interview. Jay is a much better interviewer and his stand up is better than Conan's. His skits aren't in the same league as Conan's, but that's what Conan does best (as well as his improv).

5. Kimmel took some heavy shots at Leno and he laughed it off. Let's see Letterman do that.

6. Kimmel, Letterman, and Conan aren't millionaries? I don't really believe that. Not at this point in their careers. None of them are hurting for money, as Conan has indicated publicly during this spat.

cd98
01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Other side of the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34880947/ns/entertainment-access_hollywood/

leemajors
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Other side of the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34880947/ns/entertainment-access_hollywood/

Spin from someone who somehow lost the NFL to Fox. NBC has made bad decision after bad decision basically since Seinfeld left, yet somehow it's Conan's failure? Please. They're at the bottom for good reason.

Cane
01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't know why people are jumping on Conan's bandwagon and he's been my favorite talk show host. His show feels neutered from what it used to be and has been stale and just as bad as his peers or worse since its been on the air. Dare I say it: the funniest thing he's done these past few months was get that concussion.

He's taking the business matter that is timeslot changes personally and is risking not only his job security but also his staff's that also notably moved their families out of NYC to LA for the show. Instead of acting like what a Spur would do and conduct this behind the doors professionally; Coco instead writes a primadonna letter trying to make him look like a victim and how The Tonight Show's timeslot is too elite to change. He also writes how he's willing to change and adapt to suit his audience....why not apply this same logic to timeslot differences or challenges in general? He basically shot himself in the foot by bashing NBC and he's throwing away his esteemed and sought-after gig for the sake of his ego.

Coco looks like a spoiled asshat since he's taking a business matter personally that not only affect himself but his staff and their families. Now he might be finding himself paddling up shit creek and us fans may never see Conan and his comedy team's skits on the air again.

cd98
01-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, but Conan is spinning his bad ratings. So you pick the spin which suits your opinion.

And Conan was paid $8 million per year for the Tonight Show. And $4 million a year for his Late Night show. So he's a millionaire and any plead "he has children" is equal to Sprewell's "children to feed" comment.

Not saying Conan is necessarily the bad guy, but neither is Leno. Maybe its the Execs. But it's classless to attack Leno on national t.v. when he is not doing the same.

cd98
01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Spin from someone who somehow lost the NFL to Fox. NBC has made bad decision after bad decision basically since Seinfeld left, yet somehow it's Conan's failure? Please. They're at the bottom for good reason.

One of their bad decisions was to ask the ratings leader to retire so they could hand the show to someone that has a limited audience as demonstrated by Conan's consistent slide in the ratings since he took over the tonight show.

Trainwreck2100
01-16-2010, 12:51 PM

cbs lost the nfl to fox, then they took it from nbc

leemajors
01-16-2010, 12:55 PM
cbs lost the nfl to fox, then they took it from nbc

Oh yeah. You're right.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 12:57 PM
What is exactly Leno's fault here?

He graciously gave Conan a chance and gave up his show, even though he was at the top of the ratings and enjoyed widespread popularity.

Conan tanked, his college audience couldn't carry over and carry him on the Tonight Show, so NBC pulls the plug on Conan for being unfunny, begs Leno to take his show back. Leno accepts.

Now Conan is crying and whining like a little bitch "WAAAHH" at his own failure, and trying to blame someone else

and Leno is the bad guy?

leemajors
01-16-2010, 01:01 PM

He graciously gave Conan a chance and gave up his show, even though he was at the top of the ratings and enjoyed widespread popularity.

Conan tanked, his college audience couldn't carry over and carry him on the Tonight Show, so NBC pulls the plug on Conan for being unfunny, begs Leno to take his show back. Leno accepts.

Now Conan is crying and whining like a little bitch "WAAAHH" at his own failure, and trying to blame someone else

and Leno is the bad guy?

2004 Leno - "I'm retiring in 2009."

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
so the fuck what?

So he changed his mind. happens all the time in all areas of life.

big fucking deal. boo hoo. Conan can't carry the tonight show, so NBC wants their big dog back.

I see no problem. Grow the fuck up and get with the real world - people fuck each other over for a LOT WORSE things than this. Leno was harmless.

Cane
01-16-2010, 01:08 PM

and Leno is the bad guy?

And on top of all that Conan was offered to continue hosting The Tonight Show albeit half an hour later but he refuses for the sake of his ego and his elitist view on timeslots. Coco is my favorite late night host but he's been acting like an unprofessional asshat by jeopardizing his team's jobs and their families' futures to make some kind of strange and ill-conceived controversy campaign.

leemajors
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
so the fuck what?

So he changed his mind. happens all the time in all areas of life.

big fucking deal. boo hoo. Conan can't carry the tonight show, so NBC wants their big dog back.

I see no problem. Grow the fuck up and get with the real world - people fuck each other over for a LOT WORSE things than this. Leno was harmless.

NBC signed Conan to a deal, and they are reneging on it. It's stupid. They set him up to fail by putting Leno on before the local news. Local affiliates say the Leno show is killing their own ratings because of how bad it sucks, and it's affecting Conan's ratings. Then Ebersol goes on a rant saying it's Conan's failure. Leno probably isn't to blame for all of this, but the circumstances of his previous takeover make that hard to believe. Leno is not harmless. I don't watch late night TV anyway outside of DVR'd stuff I can't watch with my daughter, but it seems pretty obvious Conan is getting screwed.

cd98
01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
2004 Leno - "I'm retiring in 2009."

He was pressured by NBC to "retire" so NBC could promise the Tonight Show to Conan. When 2009 rolled around, Leno was still king of late night and basically said he'd consider going to another network and doing his show at the same time as the Tonight Show and Conan could have the Tonight Show. NBC freaked because they knew Leno would kill Conan in the ratings so they begged him to take a prime time slot instead of leaving. When the prime time slot didn't work for Leno and the Tonight Show didn't work for Conan, NBC did the logically decision...go back to what was working by putting Leno back on the tonight show and asking Conan to go back to what he was doing best: Late Night.

Trainwreck2100
01-16-2010, 02:19 PM
so conan's going to at least get 30 million, but he loses all of his recurring sketches, cause they will be intellectual property of NBC

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-16-2010, 03:43 PM
so conan's going to at least get 30 million, but he loses all of his recurring sketches, cause they will be intellectual property of NBC

Given NBC's brilliant programming decisions that have led up to this debacle I have to believe there's a chance the Fed-Ex Pope will get Jay's prime time slot.

leemajors
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
http://deadspin.com/5449864/ex+nbc-sports-employee-dick-ebersol-is-the-biggest-failure-of-them-all

Pretty good takedown of Ebersol. I forgot he was one of the masterminds behind the XFL, Arena Football on NBC, the Notre Dame contract, etc etc.

Incredibly, despite all this, Comcast is still reportedly set to install Ebersol as the head of its sports division when the NBC/Comcast merger is completed. Much like the guy he is backing in the Late Night Wars, Ebersol is lucky enough to be failing upward. Of course he's going to be on Team Leno; they're essentially the same character in alternate NBC worlds. He's got his opinion, but when you talk about "astounding failures," and NBC, Ebersol could have well been describing himself.

cd98
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
But hasn't Conan been a failure so far? At least ratings wise? Sure Ebersol deserves some of the blame, but of Conan's show had done what Leno's did or at least close to it, wouldn't Conan be in the driver's seat?

leemajors
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
But hasn't Conan been a failure so far? At least ratings wise? Sure Ebersol deserves some of the blame, but of Conan's show had done what Leno's did or at least close to it, wouldn't Conan be in the driver's seat?

I am of the opinion he was set up for failure once NBC put Leno in primetime. I don't know if Ebersol had anything to do with it, he is more on the sports side of things. I don't know why he felt compelled to comment.

cd98
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I am of the opinion he was set up for failure once NBC put Leno in primetime. I don't know if Ebersol had anything to do with it, he is more on the sports side of things. I don't know why he felt compelled to comment.

Set up for failure? You mean NBC wanted their ratings to tank? He had every opportunity. NBC advertised the he'll out of his show and he has had that time slot for how long?

He failed and now NBC is trying to fix it. Conan took it public to embarass NBC.

I like Conan. He was great on the Simpsons. His late show was funny in an exprimental kind of way. But his humor doesn't translate to the wider audience. Plus he dropped too much of what made the late show funny.

To be honest, he'd be way better on anything goes Fox.

symple19
01-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Conan still does very well in the 18-35 demo that is so important to advertisers. It's why Conan will be attractive to Fox, which tends to have a younger audience anyway.

Cane
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
It might be tough to persuade stations to switch from reruns of shows like Seinfeld to a new talk show program hosted by Conan. If Conan does get a deal with Fox hopefully they don't cancel him prematurely like they did with Futrama, Family Guy, and Firefly.

Here's hoping he does get another talk show - he's been great although I wished he'd just accept a half hour timeslot difference so he guarantees airtime for us fans and jobs for the rest of his LA staff.

Trainwreck2100
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
http://deadspin.com/5449864/ex+nbc-sports-employee-dick-ebersol-is-the-biggest-failure-of-them-all

Pretty good takedown of Ebersol. I forgot he was one of the masterminds behind the XFL, Arena Football on NBC, the Notre Dame contract, etc etc.

IIRC He's not the one that got sunday night football is he?

symple19
01-16-2010, 07:40 PM
yep, Ebersol produces SNF

Trainwreck2100
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
yep, Ebersol produces SNF

i thought it was another guy that was responsible for SNF though

exstatic
01-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Set him up for failure? They kept Jay off the air for like 3-4 months over the summer to let Conan find his TS audience. He was given every chance and didn't get the ratings.

The pure Darwinic TV facts are no matter how good your show is, if no one watches, you get canned. It's a tough ol' world.

dolacheck
01-16-2010, 09:36 PM
You all know that Lenos rating sucked balls when he took over for johnny right? Conans sucked balls when he first started the Late Night show. So to me history would dictate you gota give it time for ppl to get settled and the show to get settled. Apparently NBC didnt care enough to give Conan a shot or Leno for that matter. NBC is a horrible failing network, plain and simple.

easjer
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
The Tonight Show isn't being cancelled. The Jay Leno show is.

Let's remember how this started, shall we?

The ratings for the Jay Leno show were so bad that affiliates were threatening to stop airing it, forcing NBC to pull the plug.

Take a failing show and move it. Take a show that is doing ok - not great (though pulling good ratings in the key demo for $) - and stick it behind this other show that now airs in the timeslot that has always been the Tonight Show's time slot.

What a fucking brilliant move.

I fail to see how this fixes anything. It simply recreates an edited version of the old Tonight Show. I do think it's insulting to Conan.

ploto
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I fail to see how this fixes anything.

Puts everything back the way it was.

ploto
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
NBC signed Conan to a deal, and they are reneging on it.

No promise of a time slot is ever made for anyone who signs to be on any show.

easjer
01-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Puts everything back the way it was.

The problem with that is that it is unfair to Conan. It's underhanded. The Tonight Show has been on at the same time for the past 60 years. He is supposed to be the host of the Tonight Show.

Moving it all back at it was (and stupidly airing The Tonight Show the following day) may not be a direct conflict with the terms of his contract, but he is absolutely correct that it is in spirit.

It's insulting to him.

If they are unhappy with Conan, they need to fire him. But if they fire him, they have to pay out the full amount, just as they have to pay out Leno if they cancel his show.

Leno, whose show is so bad and gets such low ratings that affiliates were complaining. . . it's just unfathomable.

Conan is being punished for Leno's failure and NBC's failure.

NBC is trying to pretend it's something else, trying to say it's about Conan's ratings, but it isn't. It's about Leno's ratings, but NBC is trying to say it's not. And that's ridiculous.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
all of friday night's jokes sucked
major letdown, i even tuned in to leno for a little while

ploto
01-16-2010, 11:46 PM
The problem with that is that it is unfair to Conan.

Leno, whose show is so bad and gets such low ratings that affiliates were complaining. . . it's just unfathomable.

Leno was still making money for NBC despite the issues with his new show.

If Conan's ratings were better, then this would not be happening.

It's show business- it's not really fair that any of these guys make the money they make for what they do. The whining makes them all look small.

For the record, I don't watch any of them except Craig Ferguson.

dolacheck
01-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Seems like this has happened before?

Jay Leno Criticizes NBC On 'Tonight' Cliffhanger (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/23/arts/jay-leno-criticizes-nbc-on-tonight-cliffhanger.html)

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2010, 02:25 AM
the whole leno vs conan thing is merely a generation gap issue. simple as that. people that dig conan simply think "he's weird". kinda like old folks that have kids and say "what are they listening too?". you either get it or you don't. i can stand both but leno is just a little more whiny than i prefer. leno is the "safe" comedian while conan sticks his neck out there.

ashbeeigh
01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
6b77VX8OOR4

exstatic
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
The problem with that is that it is unfair to Conan. It's underhanded. The Tonight Show has been on at the same time for the past 60 years. He is supposed to be the host of the Tonight Show.

Moving it all back at it was (and stupidly airing The Tonight Show the following day) may not be a direct conflict with the terms of his contract, but he is absolutely correct that it is in spirit.

It's insulting to him.

If they are unhappy with Conan, they need to fire him. But if they fire him, they have to pay out the full amount, just as they have to pay out Leno if they cancel his show.

NBC is trying to pretend it's something else, trying to say it's about Conan's ratings, but it isn't. It's about Leno's ratings, but NBC is trying to say it's not. And that's ridiculous.

Actually, NBC was happy enough with Jay's ratings, it was the affiliates that forced their hand. NBC was actually making money in the 10 EST PM slot with Jay's show, but the ratings were low enough that local newscasts were being affected, hence the affiliate rebellion. At that point, NBC has to do something. They're not unhappy with Jay, they're not unhappy with Conan. They propose a solution that doesn't fire either of them. If one or both of the hosts have an issue, then things go from there. That's where we are. If Conan has a problem with it, then he either walks away, or works out a settlement, which I think is happening now. Nobody was fired, nobody had their show taken away. It's funny that old people are usually seen as averse to change, but in this case, it's the younger set that's all in a tizzy about a 30 minute start time bump.

monosylab1k
01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
It's funny that old people are usually seen as averse to change, but in this case, it's the younger set that's all in a tizzy about a 30 minute start time bump.

Yeah but that 30 minutes changes it from The Tonight Show to The Today Show.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah but that 30 minutes changes it from The Tonight Show to The Today Show.

I think his audience would improve 30 minutes later, don't you? It's closer to his time slot sweet spot of 12:30 EST. Don't you think the censors would be a little less bitchy after midnight?

monosylab1k
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I think his audience would improve 30 minutes later, don't you? It's closer to his time slot sweet spot of 12:30 EST. Don't you think the censors would be a little less bitchy after midnight?
Conan absolutely would be better off with a later time slot, and honestly he wasn't all that great on The Tonight Show (I'm a huge Conan fan, never missed him on late night but found myself skipping watching him on TTS constantly)....but I'd rather NBC just have the sack to say "Conan is out, Jay is back in" instead of pussyfooting around it by trying to move The Tonight Show back 30 minutes.

fraga
01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Who's fault is it...watch this clip...and you tell me...

Jay Leno 2004 (http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/leno-conan-tonight-show-yours-13102)

Seth Meyers explains how Conan got screwed. (http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/seth-meyers-explains-nbcs-latenight-troubles-video.html)

cd98
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
It's NBC's fault, not Leno's. Leno said he would retire from the Tonight Show and pass it on to Conan. He did just that. The fact that NBC wants to put him back in the Tonight Show is nothing on Leno. Leno was perfectly willing to leave NBC and do his show elsewhere, but they didn't want him to go. Probably because they knew Leno at another network would kill the tonight show even more.

CubanMustGo
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM
He said wanted to pass off the Tonight Show to Conan in 2009. He's refusing to stay away in 2010. Basically, he's a liar and you don't like the fact that he got called on it. If he was a man of his word he would have told NBC 'no, my time is past, and I made a commitment to Conan that I'm not going to break.' Of course, since what he really did was take *his* lame version of Tonight to 9:00 (CT) he really started out by breaking that commitment from the get-go.

iggypop123
01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
http://laist.com/2010/01/18/photos_rally_for_conan_draws_hundre.php

what a way to honor dr king. a rally for a guy making 25 million bucks a yr to not move a spot

EDIT: i actually dont know what conan makes but he is filthy rich

ploto
01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
For those who say Leno should quit, he is under contract. By doing his show in whatever time slot NBC chooses to put is not Leno the one actually honoring his contract with NBC?

PM5K
01-19-2010, 12:31 AM
For those who say Leno should quit, he is under contract. By doing his show in whatever time slot NBC chooses to put is not Leno the one actually honoring his contract with NBC?

He wasn't under contract, his show was cancelled and he signed a new contract for TTS.

exstatic
01-19-2010, 08:30 AM
He wasn't under contract, his show was cancelled and he signed a new contract for TTS.

Newsflash: Jay's under contract to NBC, not the Jay Leno Show or the Tonight show. The contract doesn't end if the show does. He never signed a new contract, because his old one was still in force. He DID ask out of it, however, once it became apparent that the JL show was going to be canceled. NBC wouldn't do it. They said Conan WAS moving (apparently without checking with him).

My God, Conan has some brain dead fucking fans.

CubanMustGo
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
NBC to Pay $40 Million to Show Conan O'Brien the Door (WSJ)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704541004575011482898148788.html?m od=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews

Conan O'Brien is close to signing a nearly $40 million deal to walk away from his dream job hosting NBC's "The Tonight Show," bringing down the curtain on one of the entertainment industry's biggest debacles in years.

The comedian's exit agreement, which could be completed as early as Tuesday, bars Mr. O'Brien from bad-mouthing his former NBC bosses, according to people familiar with the matter, but paves the way for him to land another television gig within a year.

The expected departure ends a nearly two-week public spectacle that engulfed NBC, after the network tried to displace Mr. O'Brien from his 11:35 p.m. Eastern slot and move him a half hour later. The battle, which will end with Jay Leno retaking the late-night perch he held for 17 years, prompted the two comedians to take on-air swipes at each other and at the network.

"What does NBC stand for?" Mr. Leno asked viewers the day the news broke of the shake-up. "Never Believe your Contract." While he said that "so far, nobody's said anything to me," people familiar with the matter say he had already broadly agreed to abandon his four-month foray into prime time.

Mr. O'Brien shot back on air: "No matter what happens, it's been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, and Jay Leno."

NBC Universal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker said in an interview that "we were not surprised that Conan was disappointed in having his show back up a half hour. But we were very surprised and disappointed at how nasty it turned."

The fallout is a blow to NBC. In addition to Mr. O'Brien's settlement, NBC faces expenditures of tens of millions of dollars to replenish Mr. Leno's vacated time slot with fresh programming. Although higher ratings could offset much of the costs, the brawl could take an incalculable toll on the "Tonight Show" franchise, and potentially on Mr. Leno's reputation.

"From a financial standpoint this is the right move," Mr. Zucker said of swapping late-night hosts. He said there wouldn't be long-term damage to the brand. "We didn't want to do it, because we wanted to keep Conan. But we're going to be fine, even paying Conan to go away."

The late-night turmoil caps a tumultuous decade for NBC and majority owner General Electric Co. The Peacock Network has tumbled in the ratings, on GE's financial statements and in the public eye.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-BA635_NBC_NS_20100118213222.gif

The late-night standoff stemmed from NBC's move in 2004 to retain Mr. O'Brien by promising him the "Tonight Show" job in five years. Mr. Leno's late-night ratings remained strong as the handoff neared, and NBC offered him a five-night-a-week spot at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Mr. Leno's show had lukewarm viewership at its new time. Mr. Zucker repeatedly urged patience and said it would be a "marathon, not a sprint." While NBC expected "The Jay Leno Show" to strengthen when competing series were in reruns, local TV stations lost as many as half their key viewers for the late local news following Mr. Leno's show.

"I think NBC fairly accurately projected how the show would do at 10 p.m. but did not contemplate the drastic falloff in [NBC's local stations] and affiliate late news," said Perry Sook, chief executive of Nexstar Broadcasting Group Inc., which owns or manages a dozen NBC stations.

Mr. Zucker and Jeff Gaspin, tapped last summer to lead the company's entertainment-TV businesses, in recent weeks approached Mr. Leno's representatives with a proposal to turn the show into a half-hour series at 11:35 p.m. The two sides left open an option to restore the 59-year-old comedian as host of "The Tonight Show," which had begun to lose money, according to people close to NBC.

Mr. Leno said on his show Monday night that he was reluctant to do a half-hour show in late night, but NBC executives convinced him Mr. O'Brien would be on board with the plan. "Conan O'Brien has been a gentleman," Mr. Leno said.

On the morning of Jan. 7, Mr. Gaspin proposed to Mr. O'Brien and his producer, Jeff Ross, to delay Mr. O'Brien's start time to 12:05 a.m. Mr. O'Brien seemed displeased. Mr. Gaspin, according to a person familiar with the matter, said he decided on the late-night shuffle only in recent days, and he insisted it was his idea and not Mr. Zucker's.

"We really wanted Conan to stay at the network," Mr. Gaspin said in an interview.

After Mr. O'Brien on Jan. 12 publicly rejected moving to 12:05 a.m. in a letter addressed to "People of Earth," NBC switched from trying to mollify him to seeking the most expeditious way to push him out.

In a testy meeting later the same day, NBC threatened to prevent Mr. O'Brien from working at another network for 2˝ years, the remaining term of his contract, said people familiar with the matter. Marc Graboff, who oversees business affairs for the network, asked if Mr. O'Brien would show up for work if NBC moved "The Tonight Show," the people said.

Hollywood litigator Patricia Glaser, newly added to Mr. O'Brien's team, replied that he would, but Mr. O'Brien's allies added a threat. "As they say, 'We'll see you in court,' " the comedian's manager lobbed. Mr. O'Brien's representatives marched out of the meeting.

As contract talks dragged, the late-night jokes about the imbroglio turned from playful to hostile. "I just want to say to the kids out there: You can do anything you want in life," Mr. O'Brien told viewers on Thursday. "Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too." At a rally Monday outside the Chicago NBC station, backers of "Team Coco," a reference to Mr. O'Brien's nickname, spray-painted their hair orange in support of the ginger-haired comedian. Withstanding a downpour, other protestors swarmed the gates of NBC's Los Angeles headquarters.

Messrs. Gaspin and Zucker asked Universal Studios boss Ron Meyer to step in as a more neutral negotiator. After hours of shuttle negotiations, Mr. Meyer and Rick Rosen, Mr. O'Brien's agent, agreed on broad terms of settlement that cooled tensions somewhat.

The terms include the payout of roughly $40 million, which includes money for Mr. O'Brien's staff, and a requirement of less than a year on the sidelines before he can appear on a competing network.

The deal, which is still being finalized, is likely to include a nondisparagement clause for Mr. O'Brien, who also will be prohibited from appearing on some other shows for a stretch, according to people familiar with the matter.

Some current and former NBC executives said Mr. Zucker appears to have to distanced himself from the controversy. Mr. Zucker denied that, and a spokeswoman said he hadn't done many media interviews because of the continued negotiations with Mr. O'Brien.

"Jeff Gaspin has responsibility for NBC entertainment, and he has stepped up and taken that responsibility," Mr. Zucker said. "He wanted to make the change at 10 o'clock. He wanted to keep all three folks in late night. I was supportive of that."

Meanwhile, NBC continued to be the butt of jokes during the network's Sunday broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards. "Let's get on with it before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno," host Ricky Gervais said in his opening monologue.

Mr. Zucker didn't attend the awards, but Mr. Gaspin had plenty of glad-handers in the crowd.

"People just patted me on the back and said 'hang in there,' " Mr. Gaspin said.

CuckingFunt
01-19-2010, 10:32 AM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cas/1559715648.html

:lmao

Dex
01-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Conan FTW. Leno is a tool.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Conan took over for a retiring Letterman? I mean, I know Dave hasn't even hinted at leaving yet, but that guy has gotta hang it up sometime.

MiamiHeat
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Conan FTW. Leno is a tool.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Conan took over for a retiring Letterman? I mean, I know Dave hasn't even hinted at leaving yet, but that guy has gotta hang it up sometime.

yEAH!!!!

fuck the west siders, i'm from the east side, bro!!!! WE R AWESOME, THEY R TOOLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sleep

TheMACHINE
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
4PrigUG9M_s

balli
01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
zzus6EmTgFw

:sleep
Dude. Give it up. You might as well be arguing the merits of Home Improvement over those of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Xylus
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Conan forces NBC to pay $1.5 million in licensing fees on last night's show (http://tv.gawker.com/5453348/cocos-revenge-obrien-reunites-with-the-masturbating-bear-and-makes-nbc-pay-big-while-leno-and-letterman-trade-insults)

3rd video down.

Xylus
01-21-2010, 03:07 AM
This last week and a half of the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien have been some of the best non-fiction television I've ever seen.

Trainwreck2100
01-21-2010, 03:15 AM
they should have just moved jay to 8 and they could have avoided all this

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 03:24 AM
LMAO @ bringing the Masturbating Bear back. Too bad he won't be able to take him to Fox.

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 03:28 AM
OMFG. The Buggati mouse and the licensed playing of Rolling Stones music together is fucking hilarious. Holy shit, that is the single funniest thing I have ever seen on a late-night show.

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 03:49 AM
God, that sketch is even funnier than the best interviews Letterman did when he had the late late gig on NBC. I have never seen anything on late-night TV that made me crack up as hard as that.

symple19
01-21-2010, 04:38 AM
OMFG. The Buggati mouse and the licensed playing of Rolling Stones music together is fucking hilarious. Holy shit, that is the single funniest thing I have ever seen on a late-night show.

1.5 million for a 1 minute segment :lmao:lmao:lmao

MiamiHeat
01-21-2010, 04:53 AM
zzus6EmTgFw

Dude. Give it up. You might as well be arguing the merits of Home Improvement over those of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Did you just try and compare the genius of Larry David to.... Conan o fucking brien?

LOL you are so lost

Cyrano
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Maybe during the closing credits on Friday's show, Conan will take a dump in his desk drawer.

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Maybe during the closing credits on Friday's show, Conan will take a dump in his desk drawer.

Not likely. He came to an agreement with NBC for a $45 million buyout. Tomorrow is his last show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_leno_o_brien

Sucks because all the angry humor that made the last week and a half amazing will be gone, but he got things settled quick with that Bugatti sketch. :lol

I just hope he somehow walked away with the intellectual property rights to Triumph, The Masturbating Bear, and Pimpbot 5000.

CubanMustGo
01-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't think the $1.5M thing is legit - expenditures that size would have to be approved first. That said, looks like Conan got a few mill more for his staff:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2010-01-21-conan-exit-deal-finalized_N.htm

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
It's official: Conan's gone after Friday's show.

Seven months after taking the reins at The Tonight Show, Conan O'Brien reached a settlement agreement with NBC late Wednesday. The deal is said to be worth around $45 million, with roughly $33 million for O'Brien and another $12 million in staff severance payments.

"In the end, Conan was appreciative of the steps NBC made to take care of his staff and crew, and decided to supplement the severance they were getting out of his own pocket," Gavin Polone, O'Brien's manager, told The Wall Street Journal. "Now he just wants to get back on the air as quickly as possible."

Predecessor Jay Leno ends his prime-time perch Feb. 11 and reclaims Tonight on March 1, after the Winter Olympics.

And O'Brien walks, ready and willing to set up shop elsewhere, as soon as Sept. 1, when he's allowed back on TV. He and his writers may need the time to come up with new comedy bits since the intellectual property rights for trademark sketches like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog won't be going with him.

His most obvious new home is Fox, which, despite the messy split, provides a better fit for his brand of quirky humor.

"He actually has a TV tonality more appropriate for Fox than he did for NBC, which was part of the problem on The Tonight Show," says John Rash of ad firm Campbell Mithun. "He was not as mainstream as Jay Leno."

Fox has expressed interest in O'Brien, but had to wait for him to confirm his exit from NBC, stalled by negotiations over severance payments for his staff and legalese that may prevent him from trash-talking about his soon-to-be-former employer, following a nightly barrage of anti-NBC jokes.

At Fox, a major issue is getting stations to give up their profitable late-night block of syndicated reruns that follow local newscasts.

As a result, it's likely a Conan show would not air nationally at first, though it would air in most major cities; Fox owns 17 of its 205 affiliated stations. And the show would probably start out at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT — not at 11 following local 10 p.m. newscasts — to allow local stations to continue their lucrative syndicated reruns, such as Seinfeldand The Office. That would slot Conan in head-to-head competition with both Leno and David Letterman, though the intention would be to ultimately move him to 11.

Fox also would seek to produce the show at a lower cost than NBC's hefty Tonight tab, much as ABC does with Jimmy Kimmel.

While Fox is the most obvious home, Rash says cable would offer more freedom. "Although it would be a smaller stage, he would really have a broad canvas to paint on if he were on Comedy Central or a similar basic-cable network," he says. "Instead of having to rein it in, he could have more of his quirky comedic sensibility come out."

But Comedy Central would have a harder time paying the tab and already has a successful late-night block with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

The settlement caps an intense two-week war over the struggling NBC's late-night talent that started with NBC's decision to cancel Leno's failed prime-time series and move him back to 11:35 p.m. ET/PT.

O'Brien refused to allow his show to be bumped a half-hour later and follow Leno yet again. In an impassioned public statement last week, he expressed "enormous personal disappointment" and added, "I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is (Tonight's) destruction."

Leno's return to late night is expected to instantly boost Tonight's ratings: O'Brien's audience of 2.5 million is half of what Leno commanded. CBS' Late Show With David Letterman has climbed to No. 1 for most of this season, with about 4 million viewers.

But O'Brien's ratings increased sharply in the past week as viewers embraced the spectacle — and as O'Brien's fans mounted an Internet campaign to save his job.

Even fellow comedians took sides: Leno pal Jerry Seinfeld last week said O'Brien's lower ratings were a bigger culprit than Leno's prime-time failure: "I don't think anyone has done anything to Conan," he said. "They can't hit the ball for you. They can only give you the bat."

Louis CK, a former writer for O'Brien, said he never understood why he wanted Tonight, which "was like what old people watched. It's hurting him inside because he wants to be the host of The Tonight Show. And it's a little presumptuous for me to tell Conan that his dreams are misguided. But they are."

In recent shows, O'Brien implied he knew the end was near but continued to mock the network and Leno: "Hosting The Tonight Show has been the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me, and I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too."

He'll end his seven-month tenure with the same guests that began it —Tom Hanks and Will Ferrell.

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think the $1.5M thing is legit - expenditures that size would have to be approved first. That said, looks like Conan got a few mill more for his staff:

Maybe, but perhaps they gave his show a budget and an account that he was authorized to use, maybe for a full calendar year or something. I don't know how any of show-business works though, so I'm just speculating. Still, the pieces fit that NBC would end the drama quickly when Conan's threatening to blow huge money every night.

balli
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Did you just try and compare the genius of Larry David to.... Conan o fucking brien?

LOL you are so lost
I illustrated the vast difference between Conan and Leno.
I'll say it again. Give it up. You might as well be comparing the merits of Home Improvement over those of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

In fact, rubes who like Leno shouldn't even be allowed to watch a single second of anything a real comedian like Larry David has ever done. Your cable company should just restrict the option lest you get in over your head. Good comedy isn't for Leno rubes. Go watch some Rosanne re-runs.

koriwhat
01-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Go watch some Rosanne re-runs.

you like lame ass i love lucy... i like the rosanne show, maybe cause i grew up on it but i still watch it.

easjer
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
This last week and a half of the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien have been some of the best non-fiction television I've ever seen.

Amen to that.

I was gasping for air after that segment last night. The sketch was funny, whether they actually spent $1.5 million or not. I doubt they did as well, the car was probably loaned or rented rather than purchased, but still. The concept was hilarious.

And big props to Conan for fighting for money for his staff and supplementing it from his own pocket.

Whisky Dog
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
That Sandler interview was great - "NBC - Nothing But Cunts!" LMFAO

fraga
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought it was NBC, nothing but cocksuckers...

BlackSwordsMan
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
zzus6EmTgFw

speaking of stern
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcAAb60lik

ploto
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
And big props to Conan for fighting for money for his staff and supplementing it from his own pocket.

If he had just agreed to do the show 1/2 an hour later, they would all still have jobs.

Xylus
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
If he had just agreed to do the show 1/2 an hour later, they would all still have jobs.

I'm sure wherever Conan goes in the next 8 months, he'll be sure to take his staff with him. Why wouldn't he?

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm sure wherever Conan goes in the next 8 months, he'll be sure to take his staff with him. Why wouldn't he?

The Masturbating Bear is going to remain out of work even then. :(

exstatic
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
The Masturbating Bear is going to remain out of work even then. :(

Allegedly, NBC still owns Letterman's bits. He just renamed them, and continues to use them. Victory, the Insult Comic Dog, anyone?

baseline bum
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Allegedly, NBC still owns Letterman's bits. He just renamed them, and continues to use them. Victory, the Insult Comic Dog, anyone?

Didn't he have to fight like hell to keep the Top 10 lists?

Whisky Dog
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I thought it was NBC, nothing but cocksuckers...

Even though they beeped it out, through lip reading it didn't appear he came close to saying as many syllables as in cocksuckers. It looked just like cunts to me.

fraga
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
No I know it was cunts...I was just offering up another acronym..

easjer
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM

And if he's just moved back, he would be hosting the Late Show again, not the Tonight Show.

Glad he's leaving. I'll watch wherever he goes. I will never watch Leno again. I'm trying hard to think of a single thing I watch on NBC at this point, and I can't think of anything but local news. Good riddance.

exstatic
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Didn't he have to fight like hell to keep the Top 10 lists?

Even if he did, something tells me Conan's up for the fight. :)

easjer
01-21-2010, 11:48 PM
The only thing left I'm sad about is that gorgeous set. It's so beautiful and is most likely going to be dismantled. Such a shame.

leemajors
01-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Smigel still does work for SNL occasionally, doesn't he? Isn't it his bit?

Jacob1983
01-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I know that NBC would probably hate it but I think now would be the best time for Conan to host SNL again. They probably wouldn't let him do it but I bet it would be hilarious.

baseline bum
01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
'Eh, that Kentucky Derby winning horse in the mink snuggie watching licensed NFL super bowl highlights wasn't nearly as funny as Buggati mouse.