PDA

View Full Version : Is Haislip a lock to finish the season as a Spur?

objective
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Something I've wondered about for a while now.

Haislip, though no doubt told there was no guarantee of any minutes whatsoever, probably didn't picture this season as his dream comeback to the NBA. He could still probably make a bit more money overseas.

And seeing his face and overall reaction last night on the bench during Ian's block-and-dunk sequence . . . everyone else on the bench was jumping, pumping their fists, screaming. Tim, Tony, McDyess, everyone was happy . . . except Haislip. He just sat there with a look on his face that just suggested, "Great. Now another guy who will play ahead of me. Screw that."

Could Haislip ask the Spurs for a release to go back to Europe?

He has to see the writing on the wall, and he sure isn't acting like he's part of the team with his body language and reactions on the bench.

Or could Haislip be a LT dump? He isn't guaranteed for anything next year like Mahinmi. And with the "Prince of +/-" gearing to return in the next two weeks, Haislip and the Spurs have to realize by now that the union was a mistake.

timvp
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I doubt he wants to go back to Europe. He'd rather make the minimum in the NBA than make more money in Europe -- as he admitted to early in training camp.

I'm not sure he lasts the entire season. Right now, he makes the most sense as the player to waive if the Spurs need a roster spot. Hairston is more valuable if only for his D-League availability. Mahinmi has a lot more promise.

Haislip entered the season as competition for Bonner for the Stretch 4 position. It can't be a good sign that Bonner has been out and Haislip hasn't even sniffed a spot in the real rotation.

Maybe the Spurs keep him around as insurance for next season if they can't re-sign Bonner and Mahinmi (or if McDyess retires). But really, he doesn't appear to be an NBA player from the small snippets we've seen this season.

boutons_deux
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
It's really amazing how great he looked in the compilations of his Euro highlights (shooting, dunking, rebounding, etc), but how he can't do that in the NBA.

TimDunkem
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
And seeing his face and overall reaction last night on the bench during Ian's block-and-dunk sequence . . . everyone else on the bench was jumping, pumping their fists, screaming. Tim, Tony, McDyess, everyone was happy . . . except Haislip. He just sat there with a look on his face that just suggested, "Great. Now another guy who will play ahead of me. Screw that."

OR it could be possible that he's a guy who shows little emotion? I actually saw a little fist pump as if he was happy for Mahinmi. Check the replay again.

objective
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
OR it could be possible that he's a guy who shows little emotion? I actually saw a little fist pump as if he was happy for Mahinmi. Check the replay again.

maybe so. But not being thrilled because of who could potentially be ahead of him is perfectly natural. I don't remember seeing Ian jump out of his seat behind the bench in his sportcoat this season either, though maybe there isn't room for him to get up.

Obstructed_View
01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Haislip entered the season as competition for Bonner for the Stretch 4 position. It can't be a good sign that Bonner has been out and Haislip hasn't even sniffed a spot in the real rotation.

I agree, but I've been thinking the same thing for Hairston since Finley's been out.

Bruno
01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Mahinmi getting extended minutes against Nets raise a question: Why Pop hasn't given these minutes to Haislip?

Pop said in his postgame interview that he wanted someone motivated and that he wanted to give some rest to Duncan. Haislip hasn't played a single second that wasn't a garbage time one this season. He surely would have been motivated to get his first meaningful minutes of the year.

So why not giving a try to Haislip? He wasn't that bad in garbage time and was ahead of Mahinmi in the depth chart.

All the above could be explained if Spurs were just showcasing Mahinmi to Nets.

Spurs have 7 PF/C under contract. It makes few sense to have all of them on the roster. Trading one of Haislip or Mahinmi to save some luxury tax money makes a lot of sense.

HarlemHeat37
01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Hairston has some things going for him though, like how they gave him a guaranteed contract when they didn't have to when they already had 14 players, and how they gave him the full guarantee last week..so they're probably grooming him, or at least that's what would make sense based on the contract they have given him when they didn't have to..

Also, Pop did throw Hairston in for stretches this season and he had him guarding some top guys for stretches(Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Jason Terry), so it's kind of strange that he hasn't done that AT ALL for Haislip..you would think they would at least give him a shot at getting some minutes..

Haislip looked REALLY bad in preseason though..obviously there's a slight possibility that he might step his game up against better players, but he struggled a lot during preseason against both starters and other team's bench players..he didn't look like an NBA player, and it's tough to see upside when he's in his late 20s..

Ian didn't look great in preseason, but he looked A LOT better than Haislip, which is why I wondered why Haislip was always activated ahead of Mahinmi, even in games where Bonner was playing..

So the trade showcase makes a lot of sense in regards to Ian..the question will now be whether Ian's performance made Pop think twice..

Bruno
01-22-2010, 08:19 AM
There are some rumors from Greece about Panathinaikos being interested in Haislip (they have injuries at the PF spot). http://www.tubasket.com/noticiaDetail/verArticulo/europa/panathinaikos/tienta/haislip/que/gana/poco/m%C3%A1s/600/000/euros/spurs/18282

As usual, take it with a grain of salt.

PublicOption
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I just don't get it. CAN SOMEONE JUST ASK POP????

where the fuck are our reporters doing these days besides sucking POP cock.

objective
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
:hat

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
The answer is...

no.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
It's really amazing how great he looked in the compilations of his Euro highlights (shooting, dunking, rebounding, etc), but how he can't do that in the NBA.

I told you over and over those highlights were Spanish League NOT Euroleague.

Spanish League sucks - there is ZERO defense. He was never even a good player in the Euroleague and I knew he would suck in NBA. He cannot play defense and he is very limited in offense, just dunks and wide open shoots.

I said this over and over in the board and no one believed me.

His youtube highlights were not even against real Euroleague competition. Why did no one believe me? Because Mountianballer and Bruno kept lying about how great he was in Europe. I said over and over they have never seen any Euroleague games. It is obvious.

SenorSpur
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Something I've wondered about for a while now.

Haislip, though no doubt told there was no guarantee of any minutes whatsoever, probably didn't picture this season as his dream comeback to the NBA. He could still probably make a bit more money overseas.

Could Haislip ask the Spurs for a release to go back to Europe?

He has to see the writing on the wall, and he sure isn't acting like he's part of the team with his body language and reactions on the bench.

Or could Haislip be a LT dump? He isn't guaranteed for anything next year like Mahinmi. And with the "Prince of +/-" gearing to return in the next two weeks, Haislip and the Spurs have to realize by now that the union was a mistake.

How prophetic of you to ask this question 1 day before his release? :tu

objective
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
How prophetic of you to ask this question 1 day before his release? :tu

11 days!

:lol

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
:hat

Yep, nice call. :toast

timvp
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I doubt he wants to go back to Europe. He'd rather make the minimum in the NBA than make more money in Europe -- as he admitted to early in training camp.

More Amerikan LIES.

Sincerely,

KBP

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Are you kidding?! Panithanikos will show the stupid NBA that Haislip could have averaged 40 points per game!

Do not be stupid. I said over and over in forum how much Haislip sucks. He is just an average backup PF in the Euroleague. At his best situation he might be 15-20 best PF in Euroleague (only based on stats and not play level because his defense is terrible) He is only making PAO roster because all our backups are injured. And even then he is still only going to be a backup for maybe 15 minutes for a month.

I have never thought of him as that good of a player. I said here the Spurs were crazy to sign him from Europe of all the players from there. He's just another backup PF in a big Euroleague club IMO.

I do not even want him on PAO to tell truth. I was hoping very much we would sign Kaimakoglou. Kaimakoglou is like 50 times better than Haislip. But PAO management said they have to wait to sign him till summer.

I will say like this if our backup big men Batiste and Tsartsaris do not come back from injury and all we have for a backup big is Haislip then we will not even make it past top 16.

Sisk
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
haha good call sir good call

hater
01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
someone please bump the thread where spursfans said Haislip is the next Amare and the next Dirk stopper :lmao

timtonymanu
01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
someone please bump the thread where spursfans said Haislip is the next Amare and the next Dirk stopper :lmao

haha lesson of the day: never get too excited by youtube highlights.

btw i wish Haislip the best, but it didnt seem like he really enjoyed being here just from all the emotion he didnt show.